• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sorry, Drive Club is the worst looking Sony exclusive.

MdwQ8.jpg

4702.jpg

The detail on the car in GT5 is much better. Thx Toxa

I still think DriveClub looks better than both of them. Although GT5 has more realistic lighting.

c0de

Car models had more polygons when racing. GT5's car models are the same in photo mode and racing unlike Forza 4. Forza 4 has a much higher polygon count car in Vista then when you are actually playing the game.

So GT5 doesn't reduce polys for cars that are further away?

GorillaJu

MdwQ8.jpg

4702.jpg

The detail on the car in GT5 is much better. Thx Toxa

I still think DriveClub looks better than both of them. Although GT5 has more realistic lighting.

Fuck me, I legitimately thought that first image was a photo and the second was a video game screenshot to compare it to.

GT's lighting is just insane.

c0de

Fuck me, I legitimately thought that first image was a photo and the second was a video game screenshot to compare it to.

GT's lighting is just insane.

spotted some obvious vertices of the gt5-picture right away but still looks reeeally good.

madmackem

Seriously people, bad recordings. Watch these two vids.

http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_driveclub_e3_gameplay_showfloor_external_view-30252_en.html

http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_driveclub_e3_gameplay_showfloor_cockpit_view-30251_en.html

Shadows and lighting are fantastic. Clouds even leaving shadows on meadows and the valley in the distance etc.

Yeah that lighting is pretty nice, much better than cartoon looking forza lighting. Why do they continue to go for the overblown lighting system it sucks.

Hanmik

IGN just did a good piece about this game (Drive Club, the one game that started this thread)

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06...+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

DriveClub’s pitch is simple: it’s a pretty, super-realistic racing game that allows friends to connect with one another online. It may not sound like a novel concept, but the depth of DriveClub’s social features is actually quite ambitious.

“It is all about driving within groups of people and how it connects to your social life and your social networks, essentially,” Evolution technical art director Alex Perkins told IGN. “The whole social element is always to reward somebody and find somebody to connect with. As you learn and play better, you just adjust.”

“In MotorStorm we always tried to get the sense of feel and location and we’re doing the same thing now. It’s just that we’re trying to treat it more cinematically. It’s like if you go out for a film, you shoot what’s really there and then you grade it and treat it and polarize it and do all those sort of coherent ritual grading and feeling to everything afterwards, and we’re trying to approach it more in that way.”

“You see that sunset?” Perkins asked. “Because of the way the clouds are formed, you’re the only one who will ever see that sunset. You’ll probably be the last one to see that. It gives us a bigger hill to climb if we have to try to make that thing work all the time every time, but it gives a sense of reward and depth every time you play. It’s a cinemagraphic feeling to things. It’s like we capture things as they are in real life, and then make it look and feel how we want it to.”

For terrible racers such as myself, your car will acquire damage as you collide with every solid surface you can find, and all of those changes are reflected on the body of the car itself if you switch to DriveClub’s third-person external view. Yes, DriveClub does allow you to opt out of its first-person perspective, though according to Perkins, first person was chosen as the default to give players more of a connection, as well as more of a sense of the car’s speed and location, by showing them what they’d see if they were actually driving.

Evolution has mimicked the entire dashboard and interiors of the dozens of cars included in DriveClub, and Perkins explained that the studio worked with manufacturers to ensure that all cars were exactly as they should be.

“All the lights, everything works as it does in the car. All the manufacturers were like ‘if you’re going to put that level of detail in, it’s got to work as it does in real life,’” he told us. “We actually get the cab data they built. Everything from the manufacturer comes from their 3D cabinet. We’d take that and then convert it and put it into the cars. So we are exactly as accurate as the manufacturer.”

this doesn´t sound so bad..

Caddle

Not this shit again, get behind the cockpit of both games and then talk. Check out the digital foundry video with them running next to each other and it hard to tell the difference, except for the drops in fps, am talking about gt5 and forza 4.

Knoxcore

Seriously people, bad recordings. Watch these two vids.

http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_driveclub_e3_gameplay_showfloor_external_view-30252_en.html

http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_driveclub_e3_gameplay_showfloor_cockpit_view-30251_en.html

Shadows and lighting are fantastic. Clouds even leaving shadows on meadows and the valley in the distance etc.

I think we need some direct feed videos. We won't know which one looks better until release date, but I have confidence Evolution could improve the visuals.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I think we need some direct feed videos. We won't know which one looks better until release date, but I have confidence Evolution could improve the visuals.

There is some direct-feed broll available (not allowed to distribute it as is though). It shows the track from the E3, who looks boring, and another in the middle of snowy mountains who look quite a bit better due to the much more vivid lighting and lots of trees alongside the track. It's all replay footage though, so it's got a lot of effects going on that wouldn't happen during gameplay (dof, especially).
Still, I think the biggest issue is basically that this track sucks visually.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Drive Club, beyond its technical problems, is nothing impressive in the setting chosen.. A sad sad countryside with dull colors and not a lot of light.. It's the light direction that works most of the time in a game. Here you don't have any light play on the distant trees, nothing to make people dream a little.
But the irony is that Driveclub HAS this kind of stuff due to its dynamic lighting, while other racers discussed here don't. You can in fact see light play on trees as you approach them, lights and shadows coverage moving over the meadows etc. I do however think that they either don't play up this aspect of visuals enough, or the dynamic lighting can't compete snapshot-for-snapshot with offline precomputed lightmaps, or simpy their lighting takes too much of a toll on the engine so other things have to suffer (image quality or whatever else people are complaining)

To me, on these blurry offscreen videos the game looks great, and I can clearly tell how less 'fake' it looks due to all the lighting changes, compared to Forza or GT. But I think that so many people complaining about visuals can't be wrong and that in person things don't look so good, as it probably falls apart somewhat, upon closer look to a non blurry screen.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I haven't read the whole thread (probably good), but I did DL the dash video from the OP. I'm not sure what I'm looking for, but it looked fine. Great lighting, great detail of the car dash and the road and stuff looked fine. I didn't see any pop-in. The shaky cam non-direct feed may have helped or hurt it, but it is not the best way to judge a game.

The driving looked fun too, I'll be happy to take this game free at launch.

Mascot

There is some direct-feed broll available (not allowed to distribute it as is though). It shows the track from the E3, who looks boring, and another in the middle of snowy mountains who look quite a bit better due to the much more vivid lighting and lots of trees alongside the track. It's all replay footage though, so it's got a lot of effects going on that wouldn't happen during gameplay (dof, especially).

Yeah, it's a very odd choice of track for the first public showing of a flagship title. My overriding memory of it is of people repeatedly smashing at high speed into the stone wall at the hairpin.

AngryBird

Banned
But the irony is that Driveclub HAS this kind of stuff due to its dynamic lighting, while other racers discussed here don't. You can in fact see light play on trees as you approach them, lights and shadows coverage moving over the meadows etc. I do however think that they either don't play up this aspect of visuals enough, or the dynamic lighting can't compete snapshot-for-snapshot with offline precomputed lightmaps, or simpy their lighting takes too much of a toll on the engine so other things have to suffer (image quality or whatever else people are complaining)

To me, on these blurry offscreen videos the game looks great, and I can clearly tell how less 'fake' it looks due to all the lighting changes, compared to Forza or GT. But I think that so many people complaining about visuals can't be wrong and that in person things don't look so good, as it probably falls apart somewhat, upon closer look to a non blurry screen.

1+

This game feels less "lifeless" than Forza.

Yeah, they set in Scotland but it is showcased in the drab, crappy weather that often plagues the country. There are some absolutely stunning landscapes in Scotland, but this one looks pretty boring.

Akira_83

Banned
lol love post like these, you can always use them to tell the people who played the game vs the ones who didn't

i obviously havent played GT6 but i definitely have GT5

you can tell a standard car model from a premium from a mile away

and for those who say "well just race with premiums" i agree and do, but i have not found any filter to toggle off standards so you only see premiums, which is just amateur IMO

options polyphony

Top Bottom