• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sorry, Drive Club is the worst looking Sony exclusive.

Zaptruder

Banned
The most disappointing part of the graphics... is the relative ineffectuality of collisions.

Like c'mon! This is a studio that made its name off smash'em bash'em cars, trucks and motorcycles this gen. Why would it revert to boring bumper cars gameplay for next gen? Where's the sense in that?!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Seriously, though, have people forgotten Motorstorm at E3 and TGS 2006? You know, when they showed the actual game for the first time? It looks absolutely shockingly bad. It was running at sub-30 fps with all sorts of visual problems. By the time it launched, however, it was actually a beautiful game running at a consistent framerate. There was an enormous difference between the first showing and the final game.

That's how evolution seem to work. Get the core game up and running, gameplay focus etc,then add polish. It has worked before,it'll work again.

If it still looks this bad at gamescom then maybe be a bit more concerned.

Stimpack

I think people should learn a little about development process.

Game has still 6 months of dev time and those last 6 months are the one that make game look good.

Er, well, that's not really how it works. The stuff still has to go out for manufacturing. I don't know when development stops entirely, but I believe the last couple of months are pretty much done. I don't know exactly how long it typically takes, though.

Anyway, it looked fine to me. Maybe a couple of issues that could be ironed out, but even if they aren't it still looked alright to me. I'm expecting issues and end-of-gen games. This is just how it works. Give it a year or two before we really start seeing something impressive. Even then I think it's more to the point that the roof of what we are currently capable of won't raise much outside of the natural evolution of technologies. What we can really expect to happen is that our standards in gaming will be raised.

More core utilization, more room to breathe, more AAA companies with the money to fund development of newer tech. It's exciting. I'm excited.

Also I'll be getting Drive Club for free (kind of?), so I don't feel I can complain much.

DriveClub hasn't hit First Party QA at SCEE Liverpool yet.

I know for a fact that games get a shit ton of polish between the time they're first submitted to FPQA and the time they go gold. Daily builds will be provided to FPQA, sometimes even multiple builds daily. Chances are, SCEE might also have 24 hour FPQA when the time comes. They've done this in the past for titles with tight deadlines.

Or in other words, we all need to be like Fonzie. And what's Fonzie like?

Ploid 3.0

I know for a fact that games get a shit ton of polish between the time they're first submitted to FPQA and the time they go gold. Daily builds will be provided to FPQA, sometimes even multiple builds daily. Chances are, SCEE might also have 24 hour FPQA when the time comes. They've done this in the past for titles with tight deadlines.

Darn that last segment. You made me say Cooool in Fonzie's voice.

GlamFM

Banned

He jumped the shark...

Demos are a funny beast

You can create a vertical slice, which takes a ton of work. It means creating everything in a specific area/level to be finished game quality. Graphics, assets, sound, AI and gameplay need to be done. Or you can make a horizontal slice, which is an example of where the game is right now

For a vertical slice, think last year's Last of Us demo. What that meant though is we saw that piece of footage for almost a year after that. The rest of the game wasn't at that standard.

This demo is a horizontal slice. And I really doubt they have time to provide anything but that, given the launch deadline

Not looks better but more next gen stuff I would say, the damn particle effects are amazing and it is running 60fps. You can't really compare these two games, one is a fighting game and the other is an open world shooting game. I wasn't comparing these two games by the way, I was just more impressed with Killer Instinct, maybe because I am crazy about particle effects. I have to say Infamous SS looks better than all the PS4 launch games.

I thought KI looked like a straight current gen upgrade. Nothing much impressive about the modelling at all. It is not even a comparison.

Jac_Solar

i am not sure what to say. its the only game comparing to Forza.. and on a system that should be more powerful. makes me wonder where is all that extra power ?

A lot of power doesn't mean that everything automatically looks incredible. There are games on PC that have 90's graphics (Intentional.). Graphics are a design choice, and the quality is dependent on the skill and technique of the developers.

I downloaded those vids expecting the worst and then I watched them. Yup, it's just Gaf being Gaf again. Game looked pretty damn good to me. Not earth shattering, but it looked good. I want to play.

Watching videos isn't really the same as hands on playing them. I've only seen one hands on video and they didn't like it. Do we know of any positive ones from the show floor?

Bollocks

I'll not be fooled again by Evolution Studios, bought Motorstorm at launch, popped it in and was just like meh, this is next gen, really?

Thrakier

Games get better as development gets closer to release? Specially Evolution has a record of games changing drastically over time. Check the Pacific Rift first demos for example.

The pacific rift "first demos" was a GAF urban legend and not true at all. There was no such thing as a big jump in graphics, I already explained this quite a few times and it comes back everytime.

They looked the same. The both videos above look the same too, except the latter is reworked a bit. We won't see a different game in just 5 months, the engine is probably done. We won't see 60FPS either.

Watching videos isn't really the same as hands on playing them. I've only seen one hands on video and they didn't like it. Do we know of any positive ones from the show floor?

We got a chance to go hands on with the upcoming racer at E3 2013, and the game certainly lives up to the next-gen hype as far as visuals go. While it’s always hard to take in the scenery in racing games because of its zooming past you at 100mph, Drive Club is an instantly noticeable improvement over current-gen racing titles.

http://attackofthefanboy.com/e3/hands-ps4s-visually-stunning-racer-drive-club/

The pacific rift "first demos" was a GAF urban legend and not true at all. There was no such thing as a big jump in graphics, I already explained this quite a few times and it comes back everytime.

They looked the same. The both videos above look the same too, except the latter is reworked a bit. We won't see a different game in just 5 months, the engine is probably done. We won't see 60FPS either.

I didn't say demos, I said as development gets closer to release. We saw early builds of motorstorm pacific rift with much worst graphics. Same with the first motorstorm. ( http://vimeo.com/987411 ) They didn't look the same, and it's not an urban legend.

That's not true, dark10x.

Read here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=339621&page=26

It's just a GAF legend.

Not sure if sarcasm any more...

dejay

Banned

A short dude who found it hard to admit he was wrong?

I jest - people who declare a game based on early builds, etc. There's a reason they call it polish - it's the hardest, most tedious part of a project but if done correctly it makes it beautiful. I've seen plenty of games get drastically better looking towards the end of their development cycle.

I'm taking a wait and see approach with this title.

Thrakier

I didn't say demos, I said as development gets closer to release. We saw early builds of motorstorm pacific rift with much worst graphics. Same with the first motorstorm. ( http://vimeo.com/987411 ) They didn't look the same, and it's not an urban legend.

Not sure if sarcasm any more...

You are talking about timeframes from 1 to two years. We are about 5 - 6 months max. away from release and we already saw a showfloor demo. Evolution wouldn't show a playable version for everyman it if they believed that they could dramatically improve it and present a final product with much better graphics. They would be fools if they did.

You are talking about timeframes from 1 to two years. We are about 5 - 6 months max. away from release and we already saw a showfloor demo. Evolution wouldn't show a playable version for everyman it if they believed that they could dramatically improve it and present a final product with much better graphics. They would be fools if they did.

We saw differences in builds with a few months difference. Did you even watch the video?...

Also we don't know how old this build is. They even stated it was 35% complete.

Evolution wouldn't show a playable version for everyman it if they believed that they could dramatically improve it and present a final product with much better graphics. They would be fools if they did.
They did it before... several times. They're not the only ones either.

Perkel

Banned
Ditto. The lighting in the game still impresses. I actually think that in some areas it looks better then the newer Motorstorms.

It looks better and has way better IQ.

I have 100% in motorstorm and it was one of the best games i have played. It focused on track level design where Pacific and especially last ms focused on randomness.

MP was also better in MS than in rest of the games.

Darhan

i am not sure what to say. its the only game comparing to Forza.. and on a system that should be more powerful. makes me wonder where is all that extra power ?

The power without control goes nowhere. I mean, the best F1 car, with a bad pilot, will never win a race. See the point? The extra power has to be used for the developers to create the difference we expect.

But in this case I think we must not worry about, because Evolution Studios are very competent people. Motorstorm games were impressive, so wait until Drive Club is finished.

Thrakier

We saw differences in builds with a few months difference. Did you even watch the video?...

Sure there are differences. But what your video clearly shows is, that those are minor at best. You can recognize Motorostorm very well from the very first video. It's the same engine and the same look. There were no huge differences like upping resolution, new effects,better FSAA or a framerate jump from 30 to 60. What was shown was very representative of what we've got as final game.

They did it before... several times. They're not the only ones either.

I don't remember one game which was shown to the public half a year from launch in a playable form which changed/improved dramatically within weeks. TBH, it's a bit naive to believe that such a thing is possible. They worked for probably about two years on this engine now, even longer considering that there are parts from the motorstorm engine in this, I'd guess. If you are into project management just a bit and if you know how hard and complicated is to work together in large teams, bringing many small pieces together step by step, you wouldn't believe that a game completly changes it's appearance within weeks or just a few months.

If they stick to their release date in November, what we will get then will be pretty much what've seen the past few days, just with much more content. Major improvements to the engine aren't possible at this point.

DriveClub looks amazing. Your eyes need checking!

What we've seen from trailers is incredibly promising.

The game's not done. I've ready in previews that it looks a little worse than Forza but is more fun to play.

I think I'm going to prefer Forza - I prefer that kind of game more, but that doesn't make DriveClub bad.

saladine1

As a racing fan, I don't want any racing game to look, sound and play bad.
But DC probably shouldn't have been shown in it's current state. I have no doubt the full game will be vastly superior to the way it stands now, so judgement shouldn't really be made yet right?

Sure there are differences. But what your video clearly shows is, that those are minor at best. You can recognize Motorostorm very well from the very first video. It's the same engine and the same look. There were no huge differences like upping resolution, new effects,better FSAA or a framerate jump from 30 to 60. What was shown was very representative of what we've got as final game.

Well duh, it is the same game afterall. No one is expecting a generational change...

And differences were far from minor in the first MS game. The lighting alone saw HUGE improvement. And there were new effects btw, and no it wasn't representative of what we got as a final game. At all.

I don't remember one game which was shown to the public half a year from launch in a playable form which changed/improved dramatically within weeks. TBH, it's a bit naive to believe that such a thing is possible. They worked for probably about two years on this engine now, even longer considering that there are parts from the motorstorm engine in this, I'd guess. If you are into project management just a bit and if you know how hard and complicated is to work together in large teams, bringing many small pieces together step by step, you wouldn't believe that a game completly changes it's appearance within weeks or just a few months.

If they stick to their release date in November, what we will get then will be pretty much what've seen the past few days, just with much more content. Major improvements to the engine aren't possible at this point.

Well, you must be new to gaming then... It happens, ALOT.

Here's another example for you:

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

No motion blur, no depth of field, worst lighting, different geometry on objects, worst particles, etc. Also not shown in the picture but the game got overall better texturing in the final version.

And the early demos shown at events was even worst.

You also seem to assume that what we get is the most current build at all times. This is actually very rarely the case.

This game is not 35% complete. That is just the usual BS party line when a game is looking disappointing, oh it's 35% complete imagine what 100% will look like, come off it Evolution.

If this game was 35% complete and was releasing this year for launch, their runcorn studios would have to increase in size 10 times to house all the extra staff necessary. This game is probably close to beta.

So if it's 35% complete and say it's launching in December, that's 65% of a game they need to make in less than 6 month's. Haha. yeah right boys.

Its very possible that the show floor build is alot older than what they have now and is 35% of the actual product.

kitch9

Banned
Demos are a funny beast

You can create a vertical slice, which takes a ton of work. It means creating everything in a specific area/level to be finished game quality. Graphics, assets, sound, AI and gameplay need to be done. Or you can make a horizontal slice, which is an example of where the game is right now

For a vertical slice, think last year's Last of Us demo. What that meant though is we saw that piece of footage for almost a year after that. The rest of the game wasn't at that standard.

This demo is a horizontal slice. And I really doubt they have time to provide anything but that, given the launch deadline

Ah so they don't just press the "Make awesome demo button?"

Some here gave the impression that they did.

Thrakier

Well duh, it is the same game afterall. No one is expecting a generational change...

And differences were far from minor in the first MS game. The lighting alone saw HUGE improvement. And there were new effects btw, and no it wasn't representative of what we got as a final game. At all.

Well, you must be new to gaming then... It happens, ALOT.

Here's another example for you:

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

No motion blur, no depth of field, worst lighting, different geometry on objects, worst particles, etc. Also not shown in the picture but the game got overall better texturing in the final version.

And the early demos shown at events was even worst.

You also seem to assume that what we get is the most current build at all times. This is actually very rarely the case.

That GoW demo was a lot older though...

Go onto twitter and type #DRIVECLUB. They've let players post comments directly from tablets at E3. Likely vetted comments but plenty of positive stuff.

Top Bottom