• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There was a Tumblr-Con this weekend. It ended in disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Apparently this is how they kept track of the "miners" at the bdsm panel...

C4MPhNH.jpg

This is the most unsurprising picture I've ever seen. It all just makes sense. Everything as it should be.

Zaph

Seems fitting a con aimed at a bunch of whiners and complainers ends up a disaster. It's almost as if the people who sit at home and critique others all day aren't the best at getting things done.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Seems fitting a con aimed at a bunch of whiners and complainers ends up a disaster. It's almost as if the people who sit at home and critique others all day aren't the best at getting things done.

I've looked at more Tumblr pages tonight than I had ever seen before. The con is working.

This just sounds insane.

At one point, panicked attendees were informed that the hotel hosting the event was demanding an additional $17,000 (owing to a supposed misunderstanding over whether DashCon would be required to pay before or after the weekend) or the con would be immediately shut down. An "emergency" fundraising drive was organized largely via PayPal (meaning that the money would not actually have been immediately available), the funds from which were for a time (and may still be) unaccounted for - as the hotel staff apparently denied having asked for it. (Blogs listing various other purchases and/or causes that $17k could've gone to instead appeared immediately.)

So essentially, they held the entire event hostage for 17 grand - which is now completely unaccounted for.

And what the christ, that ball pit. An adult ball pit is theoretically fun if it covers an entire room. Not a walmart swimming pool.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
There so badly needs to be a Sunny episode where they try to scam people out of money using kickstarter/indiegogo.

I'd so be here for an "It's Always Sunny" episode revolving around this mess

3jVJLyj.jpg

excuse the quick'n'dirty photoshop XD

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
it's THIN privilege, shitlord, not health privilege. there is NO medical evidence linking weight to health, NONE, and I fucking resent your ableist, healthist mindset where you judge people's "health" (whatever the fuck that means) by looking at their size. don't infantilize, patronize, or condensize us. treat us with respect. why the fuck am I even wasting my time trying to educate you, you thoughtless, obtuse, discriminating fatphobic asshole. fuck off.

Weight? No. Large amounts of body fat? Yes, yes there is.

tumblr_inline_n8obogDGbG1r7f3a5.jpg

Who is this Nightvale person?

It's a wicked podcast about a weird ass town named Night Vale. The whole thing is a "radio show" from within Night Vale, and the town is really fucked up, like a mix of Lovecraft horrors and Twin Peaks weirdness, but played for laughs, not horror.

Nah GAF attracts mostly male jaded 20-something liberals, overlap with Tumblr's audience is pretty minor
I can attest to this.

It's a wicked podcast about a weird ass town named Night Vale. The whole thing is a "radio show" from within Night Vale, and the town is really fucked up, like a mix of Lovecraft horrors and Twin Peaks weirdness, but played for laughs, not horror.

I enjoy it, but I'd love a show that played it as horror.

geomon

Most panels are completely disorganized. The “Name That Anime” panel was even handing out hotel mints as prizes for correctly answering questions like “what’s the anime where they fight with clothes!!!”

I'm dying of laughter.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Oh god that vendor story and everything

- Number of times I heard some sort of stereotypical tumblr thing: too many. Fun exchanges like, “I fucking hate all cishet men,” or “There are too many white cis het men here,” or “when people misgender me I want to stab them!”

- I was asked 13 times over the weekend if I preferred female pronouns. Which, while nice, people were walking on egg shells and I got pulled aside at one point by someone who said I shouldn’t refer to them as “dude/man.” The context of this was, “oh dude did you want your receipt?”

gahhhhhhhhh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom