• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall retail screencaps (XB1) show 792p resolution? CBoaT ;_;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
So he was off by 72-Pxiels on Resolution, which to me is nothing, that's so close to his information I would never count it against him. And the fact that the Beta was running at 720, then after him calling Respawn out on the forums, couple weeks later, we get 792p screenshots.

Then people are saying the textures look worse now than they did in the beta, which I believe is because of frame rate issues during beta on XBONE, they toned some stuff down.

Making it maybe close to being alpha texture quality, with some added 2XAA. Granted they don't look as bad as alpha, but not as good as beta.

So even though I agree with how Bish handled everything in 72hr ban. I disagree with everyone saying CBOAT was 100% wrong.

If anything because of the influence NEOGAF has on buzz for a game, Respawn probably changed this stuff to handle the negativity, he was right.(Though while also updating and fixing xbone issues.)

Is it pure coincidence that the Party chat, Twitch, and big OS update all coincide with teh release of Titanfall? If you ask me sounds like some people over at Respawn might have helped with some of the Party chat, giving good information, maybe API stuff.

I mean there were threads and articles about not being able to add party to game in Titanfall ALpha and Beta.

I bet Respawn took that info to Microsoft, who as of January originally did not have a set date on fixing those issues with party chat.

He specifically said 792p? no. 720. He was being very aware of what was happening. Also the beta was 792p already, he doubled down after that came out and proved him wrong. He also was wrong about the map count.

Papacheeks

Banned
He specifically said 792p? no. 720. He was being very aware of what was happening. Also the beta was 792p already, he doubled down after that came out and proved him wrong. He also was wrong about the map count.

I guess your not getting my point. and I do understand he was wrong and shouldn't have doubled down.

My main point was the game int he alpha build was 720p FACT.

The game in the beta build had frame rate issues on xbone, FACT
"However, it all changes once you buckle into a Titan, and in this build we see lengthy passages of play (particularly by the end of a mission) falling within the 35-45fps range. Neither one of the levels on show is especially worse than the other in this regard, and it's clearly the barrage of alpha effects that ends up pressing the hardware too far."

Now they changed the resolution slightly, and texture quality in the beta, which brought on bad frames when in a Titan.

So in this thread with the new screenshots, it looks worse than the beta. Which means they went back close to where Alpha textures were in terms of quality to get frames locked at 60.

Do you disagree?

The so called map count he was off by 1? Seriously?

So if you are going to be an insider with information that is always skewed because of legal ramification
(meaning if he had an actual document from respawn with all that stuff, I wouldn't take the risk).
You have to be 100% on everything? He was so close, that I wouldn't rule it in the speculation category. It seemed legit, and so did Thruway's back in December when he heard Respawn was having trouble running Titanfall at 720 on xbone. With what has come out, and what I and other's have played seems to point to that being true, along with every other developer having issues getting games to run at certain resolutions and frame rates.

Do we know 100% the ones shown in the OT are all from the retail game disc, and not ones to be sold in the season pass?

And Also I understand the ban like I said earlier, I just feel with something that is so tight lipped, since we know nothing about 360, to have the leaks that he had be fairly close to reality, seems harsh for people to call him out and say he's 100% wrong.

Just my outlook on the situation.

Man, I'm actually thinking about buying this, even with its janky graphics. Does it look better on the Xbone compared to the PC version in Medium settings?

So there are people who think the P in 720p, 1080p, etc. mean pixels...

ibsWIJDCVlhOoK.gif

Papacheeks

Banned

Yea sorry, I got confused on Pixels to Progressive scan lines, and how it equals to resolution.

I was thinking pure picture/Photoshop mindset.

My bad on that.

Appropriate burn accepted!

Jedi2016

While not technically accurate, since everything is progressive these days, it makes little difference in the end. Although it would be hilarious to see a dev release something interlaced just to shake things up a bit. And there are some arguments about things like Killzone's MP being 1920i horizontally.

dr_rus

Using 720p and 1080p and especially anything in-between like 900p is dumb anyway. Resolution should be described as x*y instead of some video derived crap which has nothing to do with rendering.

720p is 1280x720
1080p is 1920x1080
"900p" is 1600x900
And 4K is 3840x2160. Let's not even start calling it 2160p, ok?

I guess your not getting my point. and I do understand he was wrong and shouldn't have doubled down.

My main point was the game int he alpha build was 720p FACT.

The game in the beta build had frame rate issues on xbone, FACT

Now they changed the resolution slightly, and texture quality in the beta, which brought on bad frames when in a Titan.

So in this thread with the new screenshots, it looks worse than the beta. Which means they went back close to where Alpha textures were in terms of quality to get frames locked at 60.

Do you disagree?

The so called map count he was off by 1? Seriously?

So if you are going to be an insider with information that is always skewed because of legal ramification You have to be 100% on everything? He was so close, that I wouldn't rule it in the speculation category. It seemed legit, and so did Thruway's back in December when he heard Respawn was having trouble running Titanfall at 720 on xbone. With what has come out, and what I and other's have played seems to point to that being true, along with every other developer having issues getting games to run at certain resolutions and frame rates.

Do we know 100% the ones shown in the OT are all from the retail game disc, and not ones to be sold in the season pass?

And Also I understand the ban like I said earlier, I just feel with something that is so tight lipped, since we know nothing about 360, to have the leaks that he had be fairly close to reality, seems harsh for people to call him out and say he's 100% wrong.

Just my outlook on the situation.

Step away from your keyboard.

jond76

Banned
So he was off by 72 on Resolution, which to me is nothing, that's so close to his information I would never count it against him. And the fact that the Beta was running at 720, then after him calling Respawn out on the forums, couple weeks later, we get 792p screenshots.

Then people are saying the textures look worse now than they did in the beta, which I believe is because of frame rate issues during beta on XBONE, they toned some stuff down.

Making it maybe close to being alpha texture quality, with some added 2XAA. Granted they don't look as bad as alpha, but not as good as beta.

So even though I agree with how Bish handled everything in 72hr ban. I disagree with everyone saying CBOAT was 100% wrong.

If anything because of the influence NEOGAF has on buzz for a game, Respawn probably changed this stuff to handle the negativity, he was right.(Though while also updating and fixing xbone issues.)

Is it pure coincidence that the Party chat, Twitch, and big OS update all coincide with teh release of Titanfall? If you ask me sounds like some people over at Respawn might have helped with some of the Party chat, giving good information, maybe API stuff.

I mean there were threads and articles about not being able to add party to game in Titanfall ALpha and Beta.

I bet Respawn took that info to Microsoft, who as of January originally did not have a set date on fixing those issues with party chat.

This post right here is a great example to make the case for CBOAT to be perma'd. No matter how wrong is is, in this case very, there will be people who defend him and twist his musing to fit their truths.

That does help get any truth out.

72 hour ban is fine. I just hope in the future people will take his jibberish with a grain of salt.

Paracelsus

I believe a wall of fame/shame for these guys is perhaps overdue.

*X says something*

"Who's he?
"He's blablabla"
"Yeah but what he did guess?
"I think this and that"

A score is in order, that isn't to say it should become some stupid game but at least make a custom title where people can see at any time their success rate.

For example, how many people in this thread can say right now what was the last thing cboat has guessed in its entirety?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I believe a wall of fame/shame for these guys is perhaps overdue.

*X says something*

"Who's he?
"He's blablabla"
"Yeah but what he did guess?
"I think this and that"

A score is in order, that isn't to say it should become some stupid game but at least make a custom title where people can see at any time their success rate.

For example, how many people in this thread can say right now what was the last thing cboat has guessed in its entirety?

So Penello is at -10?

Beefy

This post right here is a great example to make the case for CBOAT to be perma'd. No matter how wrong is is, in this case very, there will be people who defend him and twist his musing to fit their truths.

72 hour ban is fine. I just hope in the future people will take his jibberish with a grain of salt.

So because some one says Cboat wasn't wrong, Cboat should get perm banned? How does that even make sense? Yes he was wrong, but he can't stop other people still thinking he was right.

Every one has their own opinions.

Papacheeks

Banned

So have you followed all that has happened with Titanfall?

With the actual evidence by people who played the Alpha and Beta(Me Included), who say the disparity in Frame rates are real.(Even Giantbomb's livestream mentioned it)

The new screenshots from this Thread that show worse quality in textures than Beta. Which makes you think they purposely downgraded to get frame rate at 60 so dropping of texture quality was a given. Maybe not to Alpha level's but definitely below what it looks like in the beta.

I feel I'm keeping a much more open mind, and level head than most people on here IMHO. I guess I'm not understanding the standard that NEOGAF has when it comes to insiders and leaks. We expect someone who may or may not work for Microsoft to be 100% on the ball with information that he/she is getting from undisclosed source?

Sometimes even those sources being misconstrued?

You really think something that can damage the hype, and good press of a game/Product will be easy to get, or leak-able if at all?

Yes he was wrong on what he posted(and was banned I think appropriately) if we take everything he says with 100% accuracy, but what he posted seems to fall in line to what Thruway and everyone who played the ALPHA and Beta.

I know I'm being made fun of on this thread cause I'm messing up on thing's I'm saying, or misunderstood something.

But I'm human just like anyone else, just like a journalist who makes a typo or get's his facts wrong.

CBOAT is not a Journalist, he's a guy passionate about video games, I feel just as appropriate as Bish's ban he's entitled to mistakes like everyone else.

PBY

Banned
So have you followed all that has happened with Titanfall?

With the actual evidence by people who played the Alpha and Beta(Me Included), who say the disparity in Frame rates are real.(Even Giantbomb's livestream mentioned it)

The new screenshots from this Thread that show worse quality in textures than Beta. Which makes you think they purposely downgraded to get frame rate at 60 so dropping of texture quality was a given. Maybe not to Alpha level's but definitely below what it looks like in the beta.

I feel I'm keeping a much more open mind, and level head than most people on here IMHO. I guess I'm not understanding the standard that NEOGAF has when it comes to insiders and leaks. We expect someone who may or may not work for Microsoft to be 100% on the ball with information that he/she is getting from undisclosed source?

Sometimes even those sources being misconstrued?

You really think something that can damage the hype, and good press of a game/Product will be easy to get, or leak-able if at all?

Yes he was wrong on what he posted(and was banned I think appropriately) if we take everything he says with 100% accuracy, but what he posted seems to fall in line to what Thruway and everyone who played the ALPHA and Beta.

I know I'm being made fun of on this thread cause I'm messing up on thing's I'm saying, or misunderstood something.

But I'm human just like anyone else, just like a journalist who makes a type or get's his facts wrong.

CBOAT is not a Journalist, he's a guy passionate about video games, I feel just as appropriate as Bish's ban he's entitled to mistakes like everyone else.
What are you even arguing anymore?

Jinoru

Banned
Using 720p and 1080p and especially anything in-between like 900p is dumb anyway. Resolution should be described as x*y instead of some video derived crap which has nothing to do with rendering.

I still describe my screen res as x*y to people. I should really translate that to when I talk about TV as well. I will repent.

Dinjooh

720p is 1280x720
1080p is 1920x1080
"900p" is 1600x900

I'd be awfully happy if we could start doing that. Please - pretty please?

Papacheeks

Banned
No. If I remember him from the CoD community threads, I would imagine a simple look at his post history will reveal why he dismissed your entire post.

That said, a large majority of it ignores the facts of the situation and SHOULD be dismissed.

Can you enlighten me a little, I'v asked multiple times what the whole Policy is for Leaker's and insider's.

And also said that CBOAT is like anyone else's he's human, bound to make a mistake.

And All the evidence points to him being wrong on paper, and that he doubled down to that I agree should get some kind of punishment in which Bish took care of.

But I also comment that even though on paper, he;s wrong, I'v played the beta, we've seen the alpha, we now have retail screenshots in the thread. The quality is not up to what it was on Beta, and unless that 890mb patch for xbox brings better textures and such I don't see it changing.

SO why should it be dismissed, I'll dismiss the whole CBOAT thing, but not the fact that resolution is within parameters of original shit storm leak, and the map count was also within parameter's.

But I'm guessing the insider policy and all that stuff regarding rumors and leaks is harsh on the thread's? Is that why everything should be dismissed?

I just want to understand, honestly.

Can you enlighten me a little, I'v asked multiple times what the whole Policy is for Leaker's and insider's.

But I also comment that even though on paper, he;s wrong, I'v played the beta, we've seen the alpha, we now have retail screenshots in the thread. The quality is not up to what it was on Beta, and unless that 890mb patch for xbox brings better textures and such I don't see it changing.

You mind showing some visual proof to back that up or provide a link where someone has analyzed the final version?

Edit: I mean, has someone made an analysis of the textures in the final version?

Papacheeks

Banned
You mind showing some visual proof to back that up or provide a link where someone has analyzed the final version?

Edit: I mean, has someone made an analysis of the textures in the final version?

Check the OT, unless it was updated, they posted retail screenshots.

Looks pretty bad and in what I watched during beta not as good texture wise.

Not as bad as alpha, but still a down grade.

BigDug13

720p is 1280x720
1080p is 1920x1080
"900p" is 1600x900

At least calling it 2160p would be more accurate based on established conventions than fucking "4K" which suddenly wants to change things to the horizontal instead of verticle res. I guess to make it sound more impressive than 2160p?

Demon Ice

Banned
Glad CBOAT only got a 3 day ban. Kind of entertaining to see how bent out of shape some posters are about that. It's like...legitimate virtual bloodlust. So odd.

Papacheeks

Banned
Those are PC shots, breh.

Yea sorry saw the link didn't read, the ones above it on the thread from sti4

are from XBox one, as I was watching his stream on Ustream.

I meant those ones, since that's what were talking about mostly is the CBOAT leek controversy.

Those do look awful I have to agree with some people.

I had the game with everything but VSYNC on and it looked sharp.

strata8

Is there a 1080p one of these, curious how it compares.

I've made a few more using a better image :)

600p vs. 720p vs. 900p vs. 1080p:
AHRJIb0.gif

The difference in clarity between even 900p and 1080p is pretty nuts.

720p vs. 792p:
HlNG6hE.gif

Definitely more artifacts on smaller details. Still a bit clearer though IMO .

792p vs. 1080p:
nakQE7Y.gif

Just... yeah. No contest here.

beast786

AHRJIb0.gif

720p vs. 792p:
HlNG6hE.gif

792p vs. 1080p:
nakQE7Y.gif

Thanks,

For FPS games, resolution can actually impact gameplay. Identifying your enemies would be much better in distance

AHRJIb0.gif

720p vs. 792p:
HlNG6hE.gif

792p vs. 1080p:
nakQE7Y.gif

What's surprising here to me is just how big a difference it is even going from 900p to 1080p. A very clear, noticeable difference.

A slap on the wrist i guess is ok. But i don't get why people think he deserves more. Has he not earned his stripes? Anyways i hope this incident doesn't scare him or any other insiders away. I always take their info as rumors like they should be.

Sean*O

People screaming over and over for a perm ban, how about you guys all take an extended leave of absence. I don't think a single one of you has ever contributed as much as Cboat has to this forum. He's been largely accurate but can't control all of the information he's fed and sometimes last minute changes happen. He's one of those few posters that captures people's interest whenever he posts.

Don't thik so, look at the size of the threads he starts or posts in or is the topic of as evidence.

So after 25+ pages it's hard to ignore, all of the ones whining for a perm ban or a harsher ban are the same people defending the Xbone and Microsoft, aggressively or passive aggressively all over the forum.

Cuth

This insecurity with CBoaT, and by extension NeoGAF, exists because so much anti-MS news was broken here. The reason so much negativity came down the grapevine was for one reason and ONE reason only: Microsoft pissed off a lot of people in the developer community. People talked. Information was crosschecked. Words came through.

Ask any insider what it was like to talk to a developer from your favorite third party two months after E3 2013.
Interesting. Can you say more about this? Why people in the developer community where pissed off?
It seems obvious to me why gamers where angry, but I'm not sure why that should also apply to developers (unless you're only talking about indie ones, that MS seemed to completely forget initially).

In any case, the criticism is unfair, and I think majority of the people here who want to see CBoaT burn aren't actually interested in the rumors, but are bitter about the anti-Microsoft rumor mill. However, Nktrnl is a perfect example of a leaker who did an amazing job spilling some of the most positive Xbox One news since its inception. There is this silly console war persecution complex that resonates so heavily in this entire ordeal, and trying to kill off one of our oldest, most trusted leakers permanently in its name would be a great loss.
One has to wonder why it was needed the coming of a new insider like Ntkrnl to provide some Xbox One leaks that can be considered good news. The point is that the other insiders completely failed in doing so, maybe because they weren't interested in doing so.
Add to this the fact that bad news were often provided with some kind of apocalyptic spin (possible problems with yields because of the esram described as a probable cause of downclock of the already piss poor gpu (of course some people were sensitive about that), the OS painted as an unusable clusterfuck and the implication of even more problems ("shit storm"), etc.).

More than one insider has done a decent job before the launch to paint Xbox land as a world with a probable complete collapse every week or so, despite the fact that every software developer in the world uses the last weeks before the launch of a product to remove bugs and difficulties with yields often happen with complex silicon products, without causing downclocks. Something that "insiders" should know.

You say the bad news were a consequence of how MS acted, I'm sure you can see how the opinion of some people here have now is a consequence on how the insiders presented the informations on their disposal. Providing news with dramatic, sensationalistic spin completely one sided is something that some people don't like (and, at least for me, not only when talking about consoles).
It's clear insiders can be wrong on some information they provide, I don't hope that any of them will get banned, but I hope they realize this.

Oh and Backseat modding (forgive me), I know, but did we ever get an explanation why Albert Penello has yet to be banned for his misinformation?
(forgive me too) I'd also like an explanation about that.

gaming_noob

Glad CBOAT only got a 3 day ban. Kind of entertaining to see how bent out of shape some posters are about that. It's like...legitimate virtual bloodlust. So odd.

You can't just come in to a thread with a generalization like that. For the most part, the ones who want him banned longer have written their reason for their opinion.

Vestal

Gold Member
¿Couldnt Respawn just make some late changes just to touch CBOAT balls and finish all the hating and negativity here?

Anyways, is hard to say that any user of this forum knowing the rules would tell some blatant lies as truth.

I'm sure he could be right on time he was writing that here but then something happened/changed... maybe.

Just guessing.

??? I don't think a company about to make a major product release, gives a damn about what some leaker says regarding their game.

The whole issue with CBOAT was that he doubled down on his 720p claim when all the evidence sitting right in front of him said otherwise.

SHADES

In any event it's funny to see all of the CBOAT hate. He is still the go-to source for anything MS and being wrong on occasion doesn't change it. As for rumors vs truthfacts, everyone is different and will react differently, I don't think it's reasonable to demand otherwise.

I don't get it either other than a lot of people just want to see him burn. If the likes of Phil Harrison, Phil Spencer & Don Mattrick get their info wrong (E3 2013 iirc) then I'm sure CBOAT will have the odd duff message or fed wrong info, it's the nature of the beast.

From what I can tell the guy/gal risks their job posting what they believe to be Truthfact etc but as we've already seen things can change very quickly in gaming. I don't believe for one second he/she intentionally posts misinformation so should be allowed the odd mistake.

d9b

Banned
792p == 720p
1080p =/= 720p

792p is as good as 720p (difference is so minuscule that the whole argument is borderline ridicules to be honest).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom