• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall retail screencaps (XB1) show 792p resolution? CBoaT ;_;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taking an otherwise exemplary track record into account...

720p = 72 hr ban seems fair.

untitled-1d7j7f.gif

Beefy

Why are there people wanting Cboat a larger ban? Bish made up his mind and banned Cboat for how long he thought he deserved. He got it wrong, he was banned can't we just move on?

Some people take it way to seriously, if you don't want to read what Cboat says just ignore him it isn't exactly hard. All you have to do is not go on the threads his rumours/ truth facts create.

Why are there people wanting Cboat a larger ban? Bish made up his mind and banned Cboat for how long he thought he deserved. He got it wrong, he was banned can't we just move on?

Some people take it way to seriously, if you don't want to read what Cboat says just ignore him it isn't exactly hard. All you have to do is not go on the threads his rumours/ truth facts create.

Cboat is a Gaf celebrity, and just like tabloids sell a ton on horrible things about celebrities, a lot of users wish to see the same type of thing happen here. There are just some people who hate successful people so much that when they make a mistake they want to watch them burn... but how they judge "successful" can be downright silly.

Xenex

I'm glad CBOAT was only banned for 72 hours, pre current-gen launch I was loving his/her leaks regarding the Xbox One. People need to learn to not take leaks as gospel and use their own critical thinking, like in this scenario CBOAT telling you one thing while your seeing another in a BETA, so why would you trust the leaks.

Getting CBOAT banned seemed like a mission for some people, which I'll presume to be Xbox fan-boys/girls but this seems quite immature, I welcome all leakers information regarding any system whether it be good or bad, allowing me to form an unbiased opinion to aid me in my decision. Also being any type of fan-boy/girl is foolish, these companies aren't your friends they want to squeeze as much money out of you as possible, so to me being a fan-boy/girl means you've lost the consumer vs business game and going to be taken for a joyride.

It's been my personal opinion that this game has looked shit (graphics wise) from the get go and whether it be 720p or 792p nothing is going to change that. CBOAT getting banned for leaking misleading information is fair enough but tbh if I had an Xbox One I would still be bitter regarding the resolution. Now resolution does not make a game by an means but for some people it's important and when your competitor is pumping out 1080p/900p it's not a good look. Hopefully by Titanfall 2, a new source engine is being used, the anchor that is pre-gen is let loose and any resolution/frame issues are ironed out.

KHlover

Banned
So if anyone else was wrong about the resolution would he/she have gotten a 72hr ban as well? Just a thought..

Edit: still picking this game up on launch.
Probably a lot more than 72hrs. More like a few months - perma.

GAF seems to take the validity of leaks very seriously, which is understandable since the reputation of the site depends on the leaks being correct.

Unsubstantiated "leak" turns out to be false -> Bye bye

CBOAT was saved by his own correct leaks in the past.

coldfoot

Banned
I still think MS is trying to find out who he is so they purposefully fed him misinformation.
Or Cboat is too smart for that and knowingly leaked incorrect info in order to not get caught as a GAF ban is a lot less serious than real life ban
Also, if a patch comes in within a month of release and downgrades it to 720p to improve performance will we all apologize?

Drek

I'd say the Boat's resolution mistake is a pretty honest one when he likely saw it on a screen up-scaled to 1080p where 792p would look like absolute dog shit. Can't fault a guy for a 72 line mistake when that likely actually makes the game look worse. Very easy to be fooled by that.

Frodo

I don't know why people want CBoaT to be banned for more than 72h. It is not like CBoaT posts here everyday anyway. 72h, 3 weeks would barely make a difference. And he has been right many times before to warrant his stay. If he was posting wrong rumours every now and then I'd be okay with a perma, but that is not really the case, is it?

Also, I don't get to decide anything. Same applies for most of us, so... Don't know what the point in arguing over this matter is.

strata8

I think a simple zoom on a scaled image without any interpolation reveals the issue.

Here is the control panel gear icon used on NeoGaf. Both were upscaled to 1080p from 720p and 792p respectively without interpolation and then further zoomed in to demonstrate the difference. The 1080p gear is completely clean and artifact free, of course.

Notice how uneven those raw pixels appear in the 792p gear. They vary in size and thickness all around the gear producing a very uneven image.

This is also why hitting native panel resolutions is so important.

JIB.png

This is exactly what I was afraid of. 720p does scale better.

This is a great post and example. Well done. Seems like 792p really scales poorly.

Must be a resolution picked just so they could say it's not a "720p game".
Too bad that trying to avoid the 720p stigma leaves us with a worse final product.

It's an awful example. No half-decent upscaler is going to use nearest neighbour interpolation. (edit - misread the post. But second point stands.)

Not to mention that the image shows extra distortion along the horizontal axis which wouldn't occur with a vertical resolution increase.

OverHeat

« generous god »
I still don't get how this game can't run @ 1080p on x1. Hell, my 2011 laptop with a shit dedicated gpu can run it @ native res (900p screen) @60fps with most things on high. It just doesn't make sense to me.
You must have a GPU from the future cause my 780m gtx 4GB do not run the game perfectly at 60fps at 1080p with all setting crank up ( except aa).

You have to take into account the (truth)fact that Bish has probably heard more cboat information than we have. Especially the stuff that he didn't post because Bish thought the 'problems' would likely be solved by the time xbone was released, and the nest didn't need stirring for rumours that were going to be fixed. That's not because the information was wrong, it was verified as we know, but it wasn't in the public/gaf interest for all to be posted.

Just bear in mind, we only have the gaf-posted stuff to make our judgments on regarding cboat's xbone rumours, Bish has the whole dirty dossier.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's an awful example. No half-decent upscaler is going to use nearest neighbour interpolation.

Not to mention that the image shows extra distortion along the horizontal axis which wouldn't occur with a vertical resolution increase.
The example was intended to demonstrate the effect that upscaling has on the raw pixels without interpolation.

Naturally, the final product will make full use of interpolation to avoid this problem when the source pixels are unevenly distributed the results are still quantifiably worse.

Also, the resolution in Titanfall is 1408x792 not 1280x792 so, yes, the extra distortion will occur.

Which up scaling method did you use? Bicubic, lanczos, spline? Anything less than those 3 methods is an insult to the upscaler in AMD 7xxx GPUs
The quote that you quoted explains it: I intentionally avoided using ANY interpolation. I used nearest neighbor scaling.

The point was to show the effect upscaling has on the raw pictures without additional scaling in the mix. Of course it will look better than THAT but when the source pixels are distorted the end results will still be distorted even if the upscaling method manages to hide most of it.

The point is, 792p does NOT appear any sharper than 720p and, in fact, suffers from uneven pixel distribution. It's a poor choice for fixed pixel displays.

Xav

I don't understand this. I see it about a lot of games that I think look good. What is it you are seeing that makes you say it looks bad? Are there not enough effects? Is it because it's not 1080p? Please help me understand why people keep saying this.

Technically and artistically it does nothing for me. Pretty much everything in the Next-Gen screenshots thread shits all over Titanfall, including a number of Wii U games.

With that said, Titanfall runs at 60FPS and as someone who values performance and responsive controls, I certainly can't fault the game where it matters.

Titanfall, Knack, Dead Rising 3 and Killer Instinct, those are my visual disappointments from the new systems in case you're wondering.

I'm glad CBOAT was only banned for 72 hours, pre current-gen launch I was loving his/her leaks regarding the Xbox One. People need to learn to not take leaks as gospel and use their own critical thinking, like in this scenario CBOAT telling you one thing while your seeing another in a BETA, so why would you trust the leaks.

Getting CBOAT banned seemed like a mission for some people, which I'll presume to be Xbox fan-boys/girls but this seems quite immature, I welcome all leakers information regarding any system whether it be good or bad, allowing me to form an unbiased opinion to aid me in my decision. Also being any type of fan-boy/girl is foolish, these companies aren't your friends they want to squeeze as much money out of you as possible, so to me being a fan-boy/girl means you've lost the consumer vs business game and going to be taken for a joyride.

It's been my personal opinion that this game has looked shit (graphics wise) from the get go and whether it be 720p or 792p nothing is going to change that. CBOAT getting banned for leaking misleading information is fair enough but tbh if I had an Xbox One I would still be bitter regarding the resolution. Now resolution does not make a game by an means but for some people it's important and when your competitor is pumping out 1080p/900p it's not a good look. Hopefully by Titanfall 2, a new source engine is being used, the anchor that is pre-gen is let loose and any resolution/frame issues are ironed out.

Quick question; how does an incorrect leak allow you to form and unbiased opinion and aid in proper decision making?

If anything it does the exact opposite,It propagates confirmation bias.
I think there is a larger discussion to be had about insiders/leaks and their importance to GAF but that's for another thread.

Titanfall's visual polish or lack thereof shouldn't not leave any Xbox One owner bitter. If that's the best way for them to enjoy the game then they will enjoy it regardless. If they have other means and graphic fidelity matters most, then as we have heard, many will go PC. It's not like Titanfall has gone sight unseen( on XB1 and PC at least).

I'd say the Boat's resolution mistake is a pretty honest one when he likely saw it on a screen up-scaled to 1080p where 792p would look like absolute dog shit. Can't fault a guy for a 72 line mistake when that likely actually makes the game look worse. Very easy to be fooled by that.
don't forget alpha textures and party chat.

You have to take into account the (truth)fact that Bish has probably heard more cboat information than we have. Especially the stuff that he didn't post because Bish thought the 'problems' would likely be solved by the time xbone was released, and the nest didn't need stirring for rumours that were going to be fixed. That's not because the information was wrong, it was verified as we know, but it wasn't in the public/gaf interest for all to be posted.

Just bear in mind, we only have the gaf-posted stuff to make our judgments on regarding cboat's xbone rumours, Bish has the whole dirty dossier.

Id argue that Bish has heard more, not just from CBOAT himself, but his contacts, to decide to be leinent.

The tone of this post:-

Bish said:
Sorry, but the texture thing sticks in my craw as something incredibly stupid, considering we just saw the beta textures and there was a visual upgrade. We can reopen this conversation when Titanfall is released and proper comparisons can be performed.

720p and Party Chat may not be enough to save this account from the banstick.

Suggests a far more greater penalty than a 72 hour ban.

Something must have been said to him privately in the meantime.

I just hope after this if insiders want to say stuff they try and be more accurate and maybe filter themselves. If something is in the middle of development and will probably be fixed by release do we really need to start a shitstorm about it? Also a little more balance between good and bad rumors from insiders would be nice.

Gears of War being bought and Titanfall being exclusive were two big deal good news stories that none of the insiders hinted at.In fact we see a lot of negative leaks as soon as good news comes out which scream agenda. If these guys are truly insiders you'd figure they know the good and bad as to what's going on and just spewing the bad stuff all the time makes things look agenda ridden or designed to get clicks.

Cboat has been wrong about alot since E3 and going 0/3 on titanfall certainly seems like he no longer is getting correct information or is unable to hold back and filter stuff that even we can see is not true.

Id argue that Bish has heard more, not just from CBOAT himself, but his contacts, to decide to be leinent.

The tone of this post:-

Suggests a far more greater penalty than a 72 hour ban.

Something must have been said to him privately in the meantime.

Im not saying he should permed incase people think I am, but a 72 hour ban for someone who often goes weeks (months?) without posting as CBOAT does is pointless.
He'll be unbanned for the Titanfall launch.
- conspiracy theorist in me says he'll be dropping a few bombs on that day
If his "exemplary" record is taken into account then why isn't that of other people who get banned for all the posts they make that aren't ban worthy?

He was also wrong about the esram yield problems (they had problems selling them, not producing them) and he said that indie titles would only get to use the 3gb or so of the ram which based on what we know is incorrect.

I don't see why he should get treated differently to everyone else.

Lace

I'm sitting here wondering if he was unintentionally leaking the Xbox 360 version details. To be honest would be happy to see it run at 720p for such an old console. Perhaps that's what got his ban decreased, but honestly just wishful thinking.

Of course all of this are tales from my ass.

Do you really think his information (right or wrong) came from seeing the game on a screen?

strata8

The point is, 792p does NOT appear any sharper than 720p and, in fact, suffers from uneven pixel distribution. It's a poor choice for fixed pixel displays.

I don't agree.

zsP8A8I.gif

It's sharper, even if only by a small amount. The effects of less than optimal scaling aren't enough to wipe out a 20% resolution advantage.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

I wouldn't strike that one down so fast. The indie program was in complete disarray before the great DRM 180, so much so that MS was actively shutting out major well known dev studios (I mean big devs) in favor of some kind of Windows/Xbox hybrid. MS at one point even said to start working on Windows Apps and down the line you'd get a better shot at developing for XB1.

Of course they dropped all that and now accept all indies, but at the time, what CBoaT said was, I'm pretty certain, absolutely true.

You welcome bad "information" whether it be "good or bad"? You've got a pretty low bar for "information" there. Do you also welcome inaccurate news and weather reports?

The biggest problem with Cboat's comments on Titanfall is that they were blatantly false, and my own common sense told me they were false the moment I read them. The fact that Cboat himself didn't stop and question the information before posting is the most absurd part of it all. Respawn isn't going to destroy their credibility by stating facts that aren't correct about their game that launches weeks later, but that's exactly what Cboat was suggesting, repeatedly.

It wasn't just bad information. It was bad judgement, and poor decision making all around.

I don't mean to detract the conversation here. I recently got an X1 for titanfall and halo down the line. I have COD ghosts on PS4 and while it's not the best looking game it's still a GOOD looking game. I downloaded the X1 MP demo and I have to say the difference in resolution is so glaringly apparent. Looking at the weapon load out screen the images of the weapons are a pixilated mess compared to the PS4 version.

My point is I thought a small reduction in resolution wouldn't have been a big deal. But having seen a direct example I'm a little worried about games on the X1 and I regret my purchase now. It's a shame some games have to look worse on the more expensive console.

pixlexic

Banned
I don't agree.

zsP8A8I.gif

It's sharper, even if only by a small amount. The effects of less than optimal scaling aren't enough to wipe out a 20% resolution advantage.

792 does more for detail than it does for edge aliasing which this gif points out IMO.

I think people here are strictly focusing on edge aliasing.

OverHeat

« generous god »
I don't mean to detract the conversation here. I recently got an X1 for titanfall and halo down the line. I have COD ghosts on PS4 and while it's not the best looking game it's still a GOOD looking game. I downloaded the X1 MP demo and I have to say the difference in resolution is so glaringly apparent. Looking at the weapon load out screen the images of the weapons are a pixilated mess compared to the PS4 version.

My point is I thought a small reduction in resolution wouldn't have been a big deal. But having seen a direct example I'm a little worried about games on the X1 and I regret my purchase now. It's a shame some games have to look worse on the more expensive console.
Move far far away from the tv you won't notice ;)

Lace

Native resolution will always look better unless you are downscaling. One of the main reasons I prefer crisp 1080p graphics rather then fancy 720p.

kinggroin

Banned
The example was intended to demonstrate the effect that upscaling has on the raw pixels without interpolation.

Naturally, the final product will make full use of interpolation to avoid this problem when the source pixels are unevenly distributed the results are still quantifiably worse.

Also, the resolution in Titanfall is 1408x792 not 1280x792 so, yes, the extra distortion will occur.

The quote that you quoted explains it: I intentionally avoided using ANY interpolation. I used nearest neighbor scaling.

The point was to show the effect upscaling has on the raw pictures without additional scaling in the mix. Of course it will look better than THAT but when the source pixels are distorted the end results will still be distorted even if the upscaling method manages to hide most of it.

While I agree that the pixel structure seems more evenly displayed at 720p, its also obvious which one is closer to what the image is supposed to be. Look at the hole in the middle of the gear, its going to look more like a circle and closer to the 1080p proper image at 792p than at 720p.

Any way someone can take what we have and apply interpolation (bilinear or whatever) to see how the final result would theoretically look?

I wouldn't strike that one down so fast. The indie program was in complete disarray before the great DRM 180, so much so that MS was actively shutting out major well known dev studios (I mean big devs) in favor of some kind of Windows/Xbox hybrid. MS at one point even said to start working on Windows Apps and down the line you'd get a better shot at developing for XB1.

Of course they dropped all that and now accept all indies, but at the time, what CBoaT said was, I'm pretty certain, absolutely true.

Well, I can only go off what we know and having looked so that it doesn't look like I'm making stuff up, and what we know is that he said that and it seemingly wasn't true. If the decision was changed then why didn't he come out and say it himself?

Has there been any other confirmation of that apart from CBOAT? Looking at other threads (particularly esram yield issues/the party stuff being broken) others backed him up on his info (and even then with things like party they still didn't turn to be true) did they do the same for the indie stuff? I can't see it if they did.

You say you're pretty certain its true, yet in that same thread you questioned if it was...

SummitAve

Banned
In an industry where so much can change throughout development it's really strange to see people have such crazy expectations for rumors and leaks. Obviously, things can and sometimes do change. This difference seems inconsequential.

Mr Moose

Well, I can only go off what we know and having looked so that it doesn't look like I'm making stuff up, and what we know is that he said that and it seemingly wasn't true. If the decision was changed then why didn't he come out and say it himself?

Has there been any other confirmation of that apart from CBOAT? Looking at other threads (particularly esram yield issues/the party stuff being broken) others backed him up on his info (and even then with things like party they still didn't turn to be true) did they do the same for the indie stuff? I can't see it if they did.

You say you're pretty certain its true, yet in that same thread you questioned if it was...

From people I know with an Xbox One and from what I have witnessed, party chat was a pile of shit.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

You're right. At the time, I didn't think it was true. Once everything changed and I heard some horror stories from devs trying to get in before the reversal, well, I tend to believe it a bit more.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
What's wrong with those screens? I thing the game looks quite nice actually.

Yeah, I think Titanfall looks just fine too. Sure it's not cutting edge nor the best looking game ever made, but I like the visual style of the game and it makes up for any "low res" graphics in my opinion. When you are in the middle of an intense online match that is neck and neck, no one will give a damn about a few dodgy pixels on the screen. As long as there isn't screen tearing and fps drops it will be fine.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
792 does more for detail than it does for edge aliasing which this gif points out IMO.

I think people here are strictly focusing on edge aliasing.
I suppose it's a matter of taste then. I prefer a cleaner image to a sharper one.

If rather use 960x540 in 2x pixel mode to be honest. I prefer nearest neighbor scaling whenever possible but it only works if the pixels scale evenly.

thuway

In an industry where so much can change throughout development it's really strange to see people have such crazy expectations for rumors and leaks. Obviously, things can and sometimes do change. This difference seems inconsequential.

This. THIS. THIS

From people I know with an Xbox One and from what I have witnessed, party chat was a pile of shit.

Well I own one and only had problems connecting to it twice, once at launch with a strict NAT and once a few weeks back both of which I sorted pretty quickly.

I actually preferred the party system before the March update now its messing around with all these different options and makes it more difficult than before.

Bad design decisions (needing to turn chat on) doesn't mean it doesn't work.

Don't forget Cboat also got the PS4 release date completely wrong just days before it was announced. He claimed late October, and then Sony announced a few days later it was mid November.

lol at people suggesting this Titanfall debacle was his first big mistake.

DryvBy

Someone was saying maybe the day-1 patch might be to fix the resolution/textures. Is anyone going to stop the patch from going through to test it in training or is that impossible?

What is the point then if things change so fast and we will never know if its true or not? Sounds like he could say anything and even if it turns out to be wrong people will make the excuse that things change.

If the policy wasn't final and was still in flux maybe he should have just kept it to himself.

It just seems so silly that cboat can say whatever he wants and even after he is wrong people will make excuses for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom