• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall retail screencaps (XB1) show 792p resolution? CBoaT ;_;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I think Titanfall looks just fine too. Sure it's not cutting edge nor the best looking game ever made, but I like the visual style of the game and it makes up for any "low res" graphics in my opinion. When you are in the middle of an intense online match that is neck and neck, no one will give a damn about a few dodgy pixels on the screen. As long as there isn't screen tearing and fps drops it will be fine.

Yeah. This whole discussion on resolutions and framerate has gotten out of hand imo. If you want good image quality go PC, consoles will always have to compromise on graphics. There's no escaping it, not even for PS4 which is the more powerful one.

This. THIS. THIS
If everything can change so quick what is the point in spreading rumors about things that will probably change? Sounds like click bait attempts to me. Rile up the base, have other sites Link to cboat posts here and then make excuses for him when the rumor turns out to be false. Is this what neogaf wants for itself

Oppo

We can go in circles forever trying to guess what happened.

My personal sense is that CBOAT was indeed right at one point in time, but things simply changed, as they often do during that last crunch period, and particularly on a moving target like a new console. That explains the tone and the ban length to me.

We can go in circles forever trying to guess what happened.

My personal sense is that CBOAT was indeed right at one point in time, but things simply changed, as they often do during that last crunch period, and particularly on a moving target like a new console. That explains the tone and the ban length to me.

How do you explain the double down when it was refuted by the dev, and the beta itself?

FiggyCal

Banned
What is the point then if things change so fast and we will never know if its true or not? Sounds like he could say anything and even if it turns out to be wrong people will make the excuse that things change.

If the policy wasn't final and was still in flux maybe he should have just kept it to himself.

It just seems so silly that cboat can say whatever he wants and even after he is wrong people will make excuses for him.

I feel like you might not getting what the idea of an "insider" is or what "rumors" are. If insiders and leakers kept everything that was subject to change to themselves, then we'd have no insiders and leakers.

Famousmortimer reported that trustworthy sources said the Xbox One's OS was broken and might not get fixed in time for launch. And while it is great news that the OS wasn't broken at launch, there certainly was the possibility of it happening and I find that type of insight valuable and interesting. Instead of harassing him about being wrong, why not look at the missing features of the Xbox One OS, the unintuitive design, and the lack of a proper party chat system. <-- Those could have been the remnants of what the "broken OS" was and what wasn't fixed in time.

Or what about the DRM rumor that was on the Xbox One. DRM was subject to change also, but I'm thankful for those that reported on it before Microsoft even confirmed it. Everything is subject to change. That's the nature of giving rumors before something is confirmed.

You're right. At the time, I didn't think it was true. Once everything changed and I heard some horror stories from devs trying to get in before the reversal, well, I tend to believe it a bit more.

Well, did you post those stories anywhere on Gaf or somewhere else on the internet? (As i'd like to read them if thats the case, MS can do some crazy stupid things at times) as someone who has been around a long time I'm sure you wouldn't need to be vetted or whatever and you can avoid naming people/developers who you spoke too.

You went into a thread other day about how easy it was for indies to get onto Xbox One - and without needing to verify your information (that I can see), but it seems reactionary to say now you're sure its true if you've not mentioned it before.

The thing about this particular CBOAT issue is that with the information we had at the time of his posting, we believed it to be false. Now maybe people will reject the day one patch and find its alpha textures, own party system and 720p in which case he's obviously right and we should all build shrines to him but otherwise it seemed like a crazy thing to say in the first place.

I feel like you might not getting what the idea of an "insider" is or what "rumors" are. If insiders and leakers kept everything that was subject to change to themselves, then we'd have no insiders and leakers.

Famousmortimer reported that trustworthy sources said the Xbox One's OS was broken and might not get fixed in time for launch. And while it is great news that the OS wasn't broken at launch, there certainly was the possibility of it happening and I find that type of insight valuable and interesting. Instead of harassing him about being wrong, why not look at the missing features of the Xbox One OS, the unintuitive design, and the lack of a proper party chat system. <-- Those could have been the remnants of what the "broken OS" was and what wasn't fixed in time.

Or what about the DRM rumor that was on the Xbox One. DRM was subject to change also, but I'm thankful for those that reported on it before Microsoft even confirmed it. Everything is subject to change. That's the nature of giving rumors before something is confirmed.

I agree with the spirit of what you're saying and this is why leakers/insiders are vital to a healthy community.

I would also say that they do deserve to be called on being wrong because I do believe that some feed on the craziness that ensues when juicy bits are dropped. You have posters like Mort saying that he'll pass the message on even if it's not true or he does not believe it.

Yeah. This whole discussion on resolutions and framerate has gotten out of hand imo. If you want good image quality go PC, consoles will always have to compromise on graphics. There's no escaping it, not even for PS4 which is the more powerful one.

So true. I'm a console gamer for the ease of use. I realize I will never be on the bleeding edge of technology. With that being said, the graphics and gameplay on the Xbox One Titanfall Beta was great IMO. I had to come to the internet to hear about how horrible it was. I promptly booted it back up and tried my hardest to see what everyone was talking about with no luck. I'm sure someone can point out some analysis and state that the pixel count is rubbish, it dropped frames x% of the time, and a screen tear occurred once in a match, etc., etc. but quite frankly I didn't notice any of this while paying the beta. What I did notice is I hadn't had this much fun with a shooter since the original MW beta.

thuway

If everything can change so quick what is the point in spreading rumors about things that will probably change? Sounds like click bait attempts to me. Rile up the base, have other sites Link to cboat posts here and then make excuses for him when the rumor turns out to be false. Is this what neogaf wants for itself

"Rile up the base"? REALLY? People from within the development community are the ones who are the "sources" behind most of this information. CBoaT, Pete, Bruce, and the others have proven on atleast one occasion to be spot on. With CBoaT and Pete taking top honors.

Most insiders only parrot things they hear, and sometimes the information is flat out wrong, sometimes things are totally scrapped, and sometimes everything falls apart. However, if you actually believe that some of us are going out there with some Anti-Microsoft agenda than I suggest you take a long cold shower.

I've heard information from sources that turned out to be 100% Fact, and other information from the SAME person be 100% False. Now should I burn this person and ignore everything he says or should I intelligently use my head and take everything- with a FUCKING grain of salt? At the end of the day these are all rumors, and until any company flat out tells you its true, it's a post on a message board.

This insecurity with CBoaT, and by extension NeoGAF, exists because so much anti-MS news was broken here. The reason so much negativity came down the grapevine was for one reason and ONE reason only: Microsoft pissed off a lot of people in the developer community. People talked. Information was crosschecked. Words came through.

Ask any insider what it was like to talk to a developer from your favorite third party two months after E3 2013.

In any case, the criticism is unfair, and I think majority of the people here who want to see CBoaT burn aren't actually interested in the rumors, but are bitter about the anti-Microsoft rumor mill. However, Nktrnl is a perfect example of a leaker who did an amazing job spilling some of the most positive Xbox One news since its inception. There is this silly console war persecution complex that resonates so heavily in this entire ordeal, and trying to kill off one of our oldest, most trusted leakers permanently in its name would be a great loss.

Oh and Backseat modding (forgive me), I know, but did we ever get an explanation why Albert Penello has yet to be banned for his misinformation?

Shin-Ra

I suppose it's a matter of taste then. I prefer a cleaner image to a sharper one.

If rather use 960x540 in 2x pixel mode to be honest. I prefer nearest neighbor scaling whenever possible but it only works if the pixels scale evenly.
Can't wait for consumer 4K displays, integer 3x3 upscaling of 720p and 2x2 of 1080p.

Hopefully manufacturers don't f it up and force an undefeatable smoothing effect on top.

"Rile up the base"? REALLY? People from within the development community are the ones who are the "sources" behind most of this information. CBoaT, Pete, Bruce, and the others have proven on atleast one occasion to be spot on. With CBoaT and Pete taking top honors.

Most insiders only parrot things they hear, and sometimes the information is flat out wrong, sometimes things are totally scrapped, and sometimes everything falls apart. However, if you actually believe that some of us are going out there with some Anti-Microsoft agenda than I suggest you take a long cold shower.

I've heard information from sources that turned out to be 100% Fact, and other information from the SAME person be 100% False. Now should I burn this person and ignore everything he says or should I intelligently use my head and take everything- with a FUCKING grain of salt? At the end of the day these are all rumors, and until any company flat out tells you its true, it's a post on a message board.

This insecurity with CBoaT, and by extension NeoGAF, exists because so much anti-MS news was broken here. The reason so much negativity came down the grapevine was for one reason and ONE reason only: Microsoft pissed off a lot of people in the developer community. People talked. Information was crosschecked. Words came through.

Ask any insider what it was like to talk to a developer from your favorite third party two months after E3 2013.

In any case, the criticism is unfair, and I think majority of the people here who want to see CBoaT burn aren't actually interested in the rumors, but are bitter about the anti-Microsoft rumor mill. However, Nktrnl is a perfect example of a leaker who did an amazing job spilling some of the most positive Xbox One news since its inception. There is this silly console war persecution complex that resonates so heavily in this entire ordeal, and trying to kill off one of our oldest, most trusted leakers permanently in its name would be a great loss.

Oh and Backseat modding (forgive me), I know, but did we ever get an explanation why Albert Penello has yet to be banned for his misinformation?

Because power is subjective.

Jedi2016

How do you explain the double down when it was refuted by the dev, and the beta itself?
Devs lie. And there have been many betas over the years with higher quality than the final product. The possibility was not out of the question.

Also bear in mind that CBOAT works for a third-party, near as I can tell. What he relays to us is what he hears through the grapevine, nothing more. He doesn't work for Microsoft or Respawn, so anything that they kept on the down-low wouldn't have made it him.

Besides, who could have foreseen them coming up with such an asinine resolution as 792p? That's even more ludicrous than just leaving it at 720p, IMO, they just wanted to be able to say the game wasn't 720p, and they even sacrificed constant-60fps to do it.

Can't wait for consumer 4K displays, integer 3x3 upscaling of 720p and 2x2 of 1080p.

Hopefully manufacturers don't f it up and force an undefeatable smoothing effect on top.

most 4K displays HAVE fucked it up so far.

Panasonic is one of the few that let you do a straight 2x2 upscale of 1080p content.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Devs lie. And there have been many betas over the years with higher quality than the final product. The possibility was not out of the question.

Also bear in mind that CBOAT works for a third-party, near as I can tell. What he relays to us is what he hears through the grapevine, nothing more. He doesn't work for Microsoft or Respawn, so anything that they kept on the down-low wouldn't have made it him.

Besides, who could have foreseen them coming up with such an asinine resolution as 792p? That's even more ludicrous than just leaving it at 720p, IMO, they just wanted to be able to say the game wasn't 720p, and they even sacrificed constant-60fps to do it.
He has spoken as if he works for MS in the past I believe. I think he has used words like WE and OUR. The Dead Rising 3 post was one I think. On phone so can't check for sure.

Shin-Ra

Panasonic is one of the few that let you do a straight 2x2 upscale of 1080p content.
il4S3sXSFdTSy.jpg

Growing pains, growing pains. They'll have it alllll sorted by the time mere mortals start buying them.

They're going to keep fucking it up aren't they.

While this may be true for some people, it most certainly does not apply to all of us. I've said this in several different threads now, but the reason this Titanfall stuff was so damning for CBOAT was because of how stupid it was.

He made the claim about the texture resolution, and Respawn debunked him moments later. Then he shows up weeks later and doubles down on the stupid claim, and even pushes it further with talk of 720p AGAIN, and then brings up some nonsense about the game having it's own party chat functionality.

It was the pure stupidity of the whole situation that greatly damaged his credibility. I knew he was wrong the moment I read that stuff, and yet his common sense checker wasn't able to filter that before deciding to post it here, TWICE?

It was so dumb it led some to hilariously suggest his account had be hacked, or he was being "smoked out" with bad information, etc. The truth is he's made some really dumb claims on many occasions in the past year. This time he just so happened to make claims that could easily be debunked immediately, with no wiggle room for an out.

strata8

Most consumers just don't care unfortunately.

In the same vein I don't think you can do 2x non-interpolated upscaling of 480p on 1080p sets (with borders) either.

FiggyCal

Banned
I agree with the spirit of what you're saying and this is why leakers/insiders are vital to a healthy community.

I would also say that they do deserve to be called on being wrong because I do believe that some feed on the craziness that ensues when juicy bits are dropped. You have posters like Mort saying that he'll pass the message on even if it's not true or he does not believe it.

Yes, initially I didn't agree with 72 hours, because I figured CBoaT was wrong on more than just the resolution. He was wrong about the number of maps, the in-game chat system, and the alpha textures being final. And then doubled down after the devs denounced these rumors. :/ Is there a chance that these rumors were true at some point, yes (especially considering the game has 15 maps and runs at 792p -- not too far off from what CBOAT said). But he should be punished for not using correct judgment. Same with Mort. He should be careful about the stuff he posts on twitter, because he has actual influence on neogaf. I agree with Bish now because it really doesn't matter how long he is banned since he only really only posts here once every couple of months.

Jedi2016

He has spoken as if he works for MS in the past I believe. I think he has used words like WE and OUR. The Dead Rising 3 post was one I think. On phone so can't check for sure.
I always took it as he was repeating what his company's programmers are saying about the system, since they obviously develop for it. But 'BOAT himself isn't a programmer.

tomfusion

Neo Member
Didn't the recent firmware (or sdk, don't remember exactly) unleash 8 or 10% more power due to less Kinect overhead. 792p is exactly 10% more than 720p. ;-)

Xater

I think Penello already left on his own terms to the safe haven or reddit where you don't get called out for your bullshit.

I think Penello already left on his own terms to the safe haven or reddit where you don't get called out for your bullshit.

He did jump in to Pimp the Headset adapter, and clear up the ridiculous PR statement about the adapter that made no sense to how it would work with some headsets.

This was after he took a 3 month hiatus the day after the Xbox One release. It was pretty obvious what Penello was trying to do on GAF. He posted nearly every day, until the day after launch when he posted about sales of the Xbox One, then didn't post for 3 months and went ghost.

I think there is a big difference between CBOAT and Penello. CBOAT was trying to share news with us to inform us, Penello was trying to change the narrative of certain news to misinform us. Very different approaches by both of them.

gaming_noob

Let's get real here. You're only interested in the rumors because they paint a negative
light on a console you don't care for. Take a look at your own Twitter posts, Ahsan.

EGOMON

In any case, the criticism is unfair, and I think majority of the people here who want to see CBoaT burn aren't actually interested in the rumors, but are bitter about the anti-Microsoft rumor mill
QFT
The guy/girl been more right than wrong i can't believe how fast people forget

Ghazi

I think CBOAT should get a temp ban, but I like him/her a lot and doesn't deserve a perm.
Let's get real here. You're only interested in the rumors because they paint a negative
light on a console you don't care for. Take a look at your own Twitter posts, Ahsan.
shots fired

He did jump in to Pimp the Headset adapter, and clear up the ridiculous PR statement about the adapter that made no sense to how it would work with some headsets.

This was after he took a 3 month hiatus the day after the Xbox One release. It was pretty obvious what Penello was trying to do on GAF. He posted nearly every day, until the day after launch when he posted about sales of the Xbox One, then didn't post for 3 months and went ghost.

I think there is a big difference between CBOAT and Penello. CBOAT was trying to share news with us to inform us, Penello was trying to change the narrative of certain news to misinform us. Very different approaches by both of them.

Wait what? What was CBOAT trying to inform us about? Stuff that could happen? Didn't happen? Isn't happening?
The resolution stuff was clear as day and he doubled down as fact.

As for Albert, it's quite clear what his agenda is and his post should and have been treated as such.

I agree with everything Thuway said. I just don't see a sense in burning someone as longstanding and credible as CBOAT just because he was slightly wrong about a rumour that got a lot of people riled up.

Whatever though.

Yoda

geez after all of this id never leak something again lol.

The guy risks being fired to try and give us information about the direction of the games industry. I hardly doubt a bunch of people who don't like how its purely MS focused wanting him to shut up will stop him if possibility of losing his job doesn't stop him.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Well, did you post those stories anywhere on Gaf or somewhere else on the internet? (As i'd like to read them if thats the case, MS can do some crazy stupid things at times) as someone who has been around a long time I'm sure you wouldn't need to be vetted or whatever and you can avoid naming people/developers who you spoke too.

You went into a thread other day about how easy it was for indies to get onto Xbox One - and without needing to verify your information (that I can see), but it seems reactionary to say now you're sure its true if you've not mentioned it before.

The thing about this particular CBOAT issue is that with the information we had at the time of his posting, we believed it to be false. Now maybe people will reject the day one patch and find its alpha textures, own party system and 720p in which case he's obviously right and we should all build shrines to him but otherwise it seemed like a crazy thing to say in the first place.

Well I haven't posted about the stories told to me on getting into XB1 development pre-180, as those were private conversations, though I know that Mario from Sidhe has posted his side on GAF before. I'll dig those comments up when I get back home later today.

I mean, I don't factually know if it was true or not. From what I understand of the indie program pre-180, and CBoaT's track record, I believe CB. That's really all I meant.

edit: here's one of Mario's posts: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=72636541&postcount=468

Rolf NB

Reason has no place in the TV industry. Applying 10% overscan on digital 720p/1080p sources makes no sense either, and yet here we are in 2014, and all TVs do it by default.

Shin-Ra

Reason has no place in the TV industry. Applying 10% overscan on digital 720p/1080p sources makes no sense either, and yet here we are in 2014, and all TVs do it by default.
In the UK (Sky HD) most SD content broadcast on HD channels and even some native HD content still doesn't fill the screen properly with 1080 1:1/no overscan set.

Took me a while to come to terms with the messy edge trade-off for overall cleaner HD content.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
For all we know, resolution and framerate could be the only thing the One port has to offer over the 360 version.

Rolf NB

In the UK (Sky HD) most SD content broadcast on HD channels and even some native HD content still doesn't fill the screen properly with 1080 1:1/no overscan set.

Took me a while to come to terms with the messy edge trade-off for overall cleaner HD content.
The broadcast industry will be the death of us all.

In this thread: agendas

As for CBOAT, his ban does seem like a slap on the wrist because he doesn't even post that often but is still within reason. Maybe him being so blatantly wrong, people will take his and other leakers rumors as rumors now instead of truth facts.

Synth

In this thread: agendas

As for CBOAT, his ban does seem like a slap on the wrist because he doesn't even post that often but is still within reason. Maybe him being so blatantly wrong, people will take his and other leakers rumors as rumors now instead of truth facts.

Let's be honest though.. #mayberumors sounds a bit rubbish.

MogCakes

Truthfacts became popular because before E3 last year he was essentially right about everything he leaked. This is the first time that he's been flat out wrong with no room for misinterpretation. Everyone knows CBOAT's only human, but it was fun seeing whether his leaks really did turn out to be as true to his record as his history indicates, and last year he said A LOT of crazy stuff that turned out to be true.

In any event it's funny to see all of the CBOAT hate. He is still the go-to source for anything MS and being wrong on occasion doesn't change it. As for rumors vs truthfacts, everyone is different and will react differently, I don't think it's reasonable to demand otherwise.

Papacheeks

Banned
While this may be true for some people, it most certainly does not apply to all of us. I've said this in several different threads now, but the reason this Titanfall stuff was so damning for CBOAT was because of how stupid it was.

He made the claim about the texture resolution, and Respawn debunked him moments later. Then he shows up weeks later and doubles down on the stupid claim, and even pushes it further with talk of 720p AGAIN, and then brings up some nonsense about the game having it's own party chat functionality.

It was the pure stupidity of the whole situation that greatly damaged his credibility. I knew he was wrong the moment I read that stuff, and yet his common sense checker wasn't able to filter that before deciding to post it here, TWICE?

It was so dumb it led some to hilariously suggest his account had be hacked, or he was being "smoked out" with bad information, etc. The truth is he's made some really dumb claims on many occasions in the past year. This time he just so happened to make claims that could easily be debunked immediately, with no wiggle room for an out.

So he was off by 72 on Resolution, which to me is nothing, that's so close to his information I would never count it against him. And the fact that the Beta was running at 720, then after him calling Respawn out on the forums, couple weeks later, we get 792p screenshots.

Then people are saying the textures look worse now than they did in the beta, which I believe is because of frame rate issues during beta on XBONE, they toned some stuff down.

Making it maybe close to being alpha texture quality, with some added 2XAA. Granted they don't look as bad as alpha, but not as good as beta.

So even though I agree with how Bish handled everything in 72hr ban. I disagree with everyone saying CBOAT was 100% wrong.

If anything because of the influence NEOGAF has on buzz for a game, Respawn probably changed this stuff to handle the negativity, he was right.(Though while also updating and fixing xbone issues.)

Is it pure coincidence that the Party chat, Twitch, and big OS update all coincide with teh release of Titanfall? If you ask me sounds like some people over at Respawn might have helped with some of the Party chat, giving good information, maybe API stuff.

I mean there were threads and articles about not being able to add party to game in Titanfall ALpha and Beta.

I bet Respawn took that info to Microsoft, who as of January originally did not have a set date on fixing those issues with party chat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom