• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE SummerSlam 2013 |OT| The Spontaneous Combustion of Bryan Danielson & Cena Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petrie

Banned
I've skipped most of Raw for 2 months now.

I can't seem to rekindle enough interest to come back. I still read up online, but as long as Cena is in the spotlight, I just can't get myself to care.

Sucks.

This is why the product is suffering too. Every RAW plays out as "John Cena and Friends" and it is infuriating. The WWE is very lucky that so many people still watch out of misguided obligation because the product itself is garbage. I haven't seen a stable of wrestlers lacking in charisma for a very long time. The biggest issue is that there really are no truly villainous wrestlers anymore. You've got super duper babyface Cena and some baddies that run in and ruin matches. At least McMahon could get draw heat from the crowd. It's a neutered product. Zero balls.

This is not an accurate description of virtually ANY Raw since Wrestlemania this year. Cena still sucks, but he's mostly cordoned off from the rest of the show - the exception being, perhaps, the last few weeks, as he's HAD to be a major part of the show as they build up to the match with Daniel Bryan. It's not amazing, by any means, but to call it "garbage" simply is not accurate. You can usually bank on two or three good wrestling matches per Raw, the writing is fine (as wrestling writing goes), and the right guys - CM Punk, Daniel Bryan - are at the top of the card behind Cena.

The worst thing about Cena is that he went the Hogan route and realized he didn't need to try nearly as hard to get the same reactions. I wouldn't say that he doesn't work hard or anything, but he's not the same guy after 2008ish or so and has had zero incentive to put any extra effort or creativity into matches. He became completely cool with being as formulaic as possible.

The main difference between the two being that Hogan was on TV once a month if you were lucky and there weren't 12 PPVs a year for him to be on doing that same match. In all of the years that Cena wasn't out due to injuries for part of the year, he's had more televised matches than Hogan did his entire WWF run. More televised matches in 1 year than Hogan had in 9. And people were getting sick of Hogan by that point.

Cena's just bored to shit. He lost his spark a long time ago and keeps going because of momentum. I don't think HE particularly likes what he's doing, but the machine around him is too big to just stop and change it up.

pretty sure last time Cena gave a fuck was... first Edge feud? and Edge carried a lot of that shit on his back.

jmdajr

I can't seem to rekindle enough interest to come back. I still read up online, but as long as Cena is in the spotlight, I just can't get myself to care.

Sucks.

What about NXT and Smackdown?

DMczaf

7 years ago, Cena was the franchise, the Yankees, the MAN. He was going against an underdog who was not who the company wanted, who is burning hot and is at the height of his popularity.

4 years ago, Cena was the franchise, the Yankees, the MAN. He was going against an underdog who was not who the company wanted, who is burning hot and is at the height of his popularity.

2 years ago, Cena was the franchise, the Yankees, the MAN. He was going against an underdog who was not who the company wanted, who is burning hot and is at the height of his popularity.

It's 2013, and Cena is the franchise, the Yankees, the MAN. He is going against an underdog who was not who the company wanted, who is burning hot and is at the height of his popularity.

I've come to the conclusion that Cena will never pass the torch, he will just continue to give out false torches while keeping the real torch locked up in his $100M mansion.

Guzim

7 years ago, Cena was the franchise, the Yankees, the MAN. He was going against an underdog who was not who the company wanted, who is burning hot and is at the height of his popularity.

4 years ago, Cena was the franchise, the Yankees, the MAN. He was going against an underdog who was not who the company wanted, who is burning hot and is at the height of his popularity.

2 years ago, Cena was the franchise, the Yankees, the MAN. He was going against an underdog who was not who the company wanted, who is burning hot and is at the height of his popularity.

It's 2013, and Cena is the franchise, the Yankees, the MAN. He is going against an underdog who was not who the company wanted, who is burning hot and is at the height of his popularity.

I've come to the conclusion that Cena will never pass the torch, he will just continue to give out false torches while keeping the real torch locked up in his $100M mansion.

Remember the contract negotiation between Punk and Vince, and Cena called Punk a terrorist?

BFIB

Totally unrelated, but always keep your eyes on the road out there.

622x350.jpg

622x350.jpg

There are always pictures of wrecks in the news, but this is one is pretty brutal. No way this dude was paying attention.

"IT LOOKS LIKE A DAMN CAR WRECK!"

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Sucks.

Petrie brah, if you have 12 free minutes, spend them on this and let me know what you think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyGwpDkxS-4#t=66m45s

Match of the year! Yes I will continue to post this match daily for the rest of the week because it is that damn good.

Daniel Bryan will win. Yall doubted him before I was the only one who, NEVER stopped BELIEVING.

BFIB

What is real sad is the fact that there really isn't a "top" status. Back in the day, there would always be 5 or so guys that were WWF Championship level. Then you would have the IC title as the step up belt before entering the top level for the strap.

Now its Cena/Punk, and really no one else. Bryan hopefully gets that status, but I don't see it happening, which is a shame.

Heck, they even had to bring Jericho back to help elevate talent. After Ryback's burial due to Super Cena, even that win didn't help Ryback any.

Sid

Sucks.
Just skip the Cena parts,Punk,Heyman,Brock,Bryan,Bryatt,Ziggler and The Real Americans are all very entertaining.

Petrie

Banned
Don't let hate for Cena ruin your support of wrestler's you like.

I support the product when I like what's offered.

I can't handle the Cena shit anymore. The rest isn't worth it. I'll stay up-to-date without watching till something takes him away.

Omega

Banned
Bryan wins, Orton cashes in and wins the title off him.

Nah, that's too predictable.

Cena wins.

i find it hilarious how for once, CENAWINSLOL isn't the most obvious route.

and it probably will be what they go with, just because

What is real sad is the fact that there really isn't a "top" status. Back in the day, there would always be 5 or so guys that were WWF Championship level. Then you would have the IC title as the step up belt before entering the top level for the strap.

Now its Cena/Punk, and really no one else. Bryan hopefully gets that status, but I don't see it happening, which is a shame.

Heck, they even had to bring Jericho back to help elevate talent. After Ryback's burial due to Super Cena, even that win didn't help Ryback any.

What do you mean you "don't see it happening"? They've spent TWO MONTHS making Bryan the star of the show and charting his rise from "tag team champions", to "weak link with something to prove", to "contender". Even if he doesn't walk out of Summerslam with the title, the dude has a rocket strapped to his back and will continue to rise.

Also, I don't see anything wrong with having an older, established star there to elevate talent. The problem is that he's been getting into dinky feuds that go nowhere, instead of having MAJOR feuds that let guys show off their talents. Fandango feuded with him for two months, yet he barely ever got to talk and didn't have any memorable segments that might make him a draw for the audience. After his theme music breaking out, Fandango could have emerged a star from that whole affair, but he's stuck in midcard hell because the WWE has too many hack writers and not enough bookers.

I actually like Ryback more now than I ever have, though. He was a dull face and a generic monster, but as a schoolyard bully, he has actual personality.

krae_man

What every the finish is, it's going to be a giant clusterfuck that includes HHH, Vince, Wade Barrett, Both Bellas a stampede of wild elephants running through the ring between 10:55 and 11 PM on the Eighteenth of August, during a hailstorm and one baby Zebra.

Cena tapping clean with no distractions/excuses is how Bryan should be put over, but that is not going to happen.

somedevil

Don't forget that when Bryan won the U.S. Title and was winning matches, that everyone on here was saying that he was getting buried.

I remember after he lost in 18 seconds in wrestlemania this pic showed up:

Its funny now but looking at that now that lose basically made his career. He is now the hottest wrestler in America and Sheamus is injured and that win killed his character to the point to where before the injury he was ice cold.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I remember after he lost in 18 seconds in wrestlemania this pic showed up:

Its funny now but looking at that now that lose basically made his career. He is now the hottest wrestler in America and Sheamus is injured and that win killed his character to the point to where before the injury he was ice cold.

Vince knows best.

v4PcvN1.jpg

"You thought I was burying him?"

RBH

Totally unrelated, but always keep your eyes on the road out there.

622x350.jpg

622x350.jpg

There are always pictures of wrecks in the news, but this is one is pretty brutal. No way this dude was paying attention.

AS GOD AS MY WITNESS, HE IS BROKEN IN HALF

jmdajr

Wrassle gaf truly does have the best posters.

Reminds me, make sure you all check out Mick Foley's doc on Netflix if you have not already. I'm like half way in.

Hey we don't judge about stuff like that. Whatever floats their boat!

We... always judge about stuff like that. We have page long debates over Kaitlyn and AJ's looks. It's not that they're guys, they just wouldn't make a top five list for Wrestler dong I want to see. One looks like a flesh coloured ninja turtle and the other looks like someone's 45 year old pothead trucker uncle who dates high school goth chicks.

Jamie OD

What every the finish is, it's going to be a giant clusterfuck that includes HHH, Vince, Wade Barrett, Both Bellas a stampede of wild elephants running through the ring between 10:55 and 11 PM on the Eighteenth of August, during a hailstorm and one baby Zebra.

And everybody on Reddit will bet on that happening.

Look forward to the betting lines spoiling it before hand.

It will be interesting. WWE didn't care about it until the story showed up on Deadspin and then spread like wildfire throughout the internet. The belief now is that they may change one or two results on the undercard at the last minute to convince people that the leaks aren't always accurate.

Kacho

Pretty surprising. I really thought one more match was over.

Have they even been building a feud between the two in recent weeks? I can't recall anything to be honest. It's the most random match on a card that I've seen in a long while.

jmdajr

We... always judge about stuff like that. We have page long debates over Kaitlyn and AJ's looks. It's not that they're guys, they just wouldn't make a top five list for Wrestler dong I want to see. One looks like a flesh coloured ninja turtle and the other looks like someone's 45 year old pothead trucker uncle who dates high school goth chicks.

lol

Well I meant we don't personally judge individuals for what they like. All the rest, can't really disagree. I've had my share of Big E titty jokes and Cm Punk flab mocking.

abundant

Have they even been building a feud between the two in recent weeks? I can't recall anything to be honest. It's the most random match on a card that I've seen in a long while.

The only real buildup the match has gotten was Christian beating ADR on RAW. He then won a triple threat match on Smackdown to get the SS match.

jmdajr

Christian pinned Del Rio a few weeks ago but there hasn't been anything personal.

BFIB

Just watched a few matches linked in the OP.

One I saw was Kurt Angle vs. Cena before he got his superpowers. Tapped out to the ankle lock. Had to rewind and rewatch a few times.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

he gave a bella a car

WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT FROM HIM

paile

Banned
Bryan makes Cena tap, but he's fucked up. Orton cashes in, Bryan somehow hangs on and makes Orton tap too. Same night Punk beats Lesnar. This sets up WM30, Punk vs Bryan for the WWE title. The ultimate showdown kind of thing.

Bryan makes Cena tap, but he's fucked up. Orton cashes in, Bryan somehow hangs on and makes Orton tap too. Same night Punk beats Lesnar. This sets up WM30, Punk vs Bryan for the WWE title. The ultimate showdown kind of thing.
Those two already had an endless feud. Also, Orton cashing in and losing doesn't set him up for anything.

Bryan's going to win, but who knows if Orton is cashing in to win and be a dick heel about it. I feel like the hint on Monday makes it too obvious.

C.Dark.DN

Banned

Sucks.
I watch about 10-20 minutes each week. DVR+ FFW=FTW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom