• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE SummerSlam 2013 |OT| The Spontaneous Combustion of Bryan Danielson & Cena Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Right, the Million Dollar Man whom as far as I last I heard wasn't doing the Legends Contract any more, but clearly I was wrong.

I believe he's just coming off an injury and he's lingering around waiting for creative to give him something. He guy's a decent wrestler, with a new gimmick he'd be a great mid-carder.

As far as Rosa goes... WWE can use all the Divas they can get. The ones they have now are pathetic. AJ vs. Kaitlyn can't last forever.

I already knew about Jr., even though I don't like him, I'm somehow fascinated by his career and it's lack of movement up or down.

Well no, they don't need Rosa at all. I don't see the majority of the women's roster as "pathetic", just not used. Aksana and Naomi can both wrestle decently now, Natyala is still one of the best wrestlers (man or woman) the company has, and Tamina needs direction and purpose that lasts longer than than a Tout message (perhaps after she gets done with that Rock movie). Nay, AJ and Kaitlyn can't last forever, which is why they added Layla to the mix and are currently utilising NXT to improve skill in women like Alica Fox and Aksana as well as new talent in the future.
That's really an issue to be continued elsewhere perhaps

Aiii

So not worth it
Smackdown spoilers:
AJ Lee & Big E Langston vs. Kailtyn and Dolph Ziggler
has been announced for SummerSlam.

Smackdown spoilers:
AJ Lee & Big E Langston vs. Kailtyn and Dolph Ziggler
has been announced for SummerSlam.

From Money in the Bank, to a HUGE crowd reaction after cashing in and winning.

To a pointless, last minute tag match. This hurts my spirit.

Cena vs. Bryan will happen like this. Solid match and all of a sudden Orton's music hits and we see a Randy Orton standee on the ramp "watching" the match...Cena gets distracted and Bryan rolls him up for the three-count...while celebrating his victory real Orton comes out and RKOs Bryan, cashes in and will be new WWE Champion. In a turn of events the following Monday night RAW reveals that Vince McMahon was behind all that. Orton sold his soul to McMahon to finally become WWE Champion (and a heel again) Triple HHH Levesque grants Daniel Bryan a rematch which he wins. This sets up Randy Orton vs. Triple HHH :-D (I hope I'm wrong) :-D

alstein

Sting took the Scorpion Deathlock from Riki Choshu who invented the move, but at least he had the decency to name it after Choshu - its original name is Sasori-gatame, or Scorpion Hold, and Sting was using it before Bret in the late 80's.

Also, Surfer Sting rules and you know it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak_uY6KiFN4

If John Cena was 20 years older, he would have been Sting. BTW that's a compliment- to Cena. Not Cena's fault he's booked the way he is.

strobogo

Banned
Cena WISHES he was as good as prime Surfer Sting. I mean, Cena has for sure had some excellent matches over the past decade. Some of the best WWE matches. But he is nowhere near Sting at his peak from 1991-1994. Not in the ring, not the actual charisma, even if Sting wasn't as good as promos as Cena used to be and once a year still is.

Cena isn't the athlete Sting was. Sting also started as a body builder, but he was far more athletic and physically coordinated that Cena has ever been. I'd even argue that old, t-shirt wearing Sting is still more coordinated than Cena. People vastly underrate Sting. I still see him lumped into the Warrior/Hogan style of wrestler when he definitely was FAR above them. In his prime, he was as good as the super baby face as there has ever been.

It's really a shame that his prime was in such a bad time for US wrestling and then Hogan came into WCW and shoved him aside.

Cena WISHES he was as good as prime Surfer Sting. I mean, Cena has for sure had some excellent matches over the past decade. Some of the best WWE matches. But he is nowhere near Sting at his peak from 1991-1994. Not in the ring, not the actual charisma, even if Sting wasn't as good as promos as Cena used to be and once a year still is.

Cena isn't the athlete Sting was. Sting also started as a body builder, but he was far more athletic and physically coordinated that Cena has ever been. I'd even argue that old, t-shirt wearing Sting is still more coordinated than Cena. People vastly underrate Sting. I still see him lumped into the Warrior/Hogan style of wrestler when he definitely was FAR above them. In his prime, he was as good as the super baby face as there has ever been.

It's really a shame that his prime was in such a bad time for US wrestling and then Hogan came into WCW and shoved him aside.

*bows*

Surfer Sting also had some of the finest workers alive with him at the time.

Ortan is walking out as champ and feuding with Cena for a few months. Whatever happens before that is just a technicality.

GMzWy.gif

strobogo

Banned
*bows*

Surfer Sting also had some of the finest workers alive with him at the time.

I was always a WWF kid growing up. I wasn't even aware of WCW until 1993ish when I randomly rented WCW Beach Blast 1992 one weekend. And I rented it because I Steamboat and Rude were on the cover. Imagine my surprise to not only see that amazing match, but also the great Cactus/Sting falls count anywhere match. At that point I was hooked and would rent whatever WCW stuff I could find. And it isn't like there were a ton of WCW tapes out at the time. I remember seeing random Saturday Night/Worldwide shows, but didn't really catch on until Nitro started. But I did get every PPV tape that was available to rent and Sting was MY GUY. I was a WWF kid through and through, but Sting was definitely my favorite over Hogan/Warrior/any other super babyface. I thought he was amazing and I'm glad that his prime era for sure holds up to my adult eyes.

It IS a bummer to see that he basically gave up after Hogan came in, but especially post Starrcade 97. I really think he's had better work in TNA than the last 3 years of WCW. He's probably the only guy at his level that went to TNA and actually added to his legacy (for the most part, some of it has been dreadful).

Ok if they just do the Summerslam Punk/Cena ending again with a random as hell Kevin Nash run in I would think thats pretty good.

Maybe we can finally find out who sent the text message!

God. I just remembered they put Kevin Nash in a ladder match in 2011. The fuck did they smoke when they booked that?

alstein

Sting had much better to work with (Flair, Muta and Vader run rings around nearly everyone Cena has had long feuds with throughout his career). Also Bill Watts beat the wrestling into Sting which helped. That said, Sting more than delivered on his half in those feuds.

I'm not underrating Sting, perhaps I'm overrating Cena, but Cena's issue isn't his wrestling ability, it's a combination of WWE-style and having less quality to work with. (at least Cena never had to worry about Robocop)

Cena vs Vader would have been awesome.

strobogo

Banned
I disagree, only because Cena vs Vader would end in either a pop up FU or STFU OUTTA NOWHERE and Cena celebrating like he didn't just get the shit knocked out of him for 20 minutes by Vader.

jred2k

Cena has pretty much just become a spokesman for the WWE. He's Billy Mays the wrestler and AAs are his form of a product demonstration.

strobogo

Banned
That is accurate, but it Cena/Vader makes me think of Cena/Bork, where Bork beat the PISS out of Cena the entire match, only for Cena to pop up and win with all of 2 moves, say he was hurt and would take time off, but be completely fine the next night.

strobogo

Banned
If they want D-Bryne to be the future, why do they insist on giving him the worst merchandise? The new beard shirt is okay, but the rest have been straight up awful. Even worse than Cena's stuff.

alstein

I disagree, only because Cena vs Vader would end in either a pop up FU or STFU OUTTA NOWHERE and Cena celebrating like he didn't just get the shit knocked out of him for 20 minutes by Vader.

2012 WWE version of 92 Sting would do the same thing.

I'm talking this match takes place in 1992, with prime Cena, and Bill Watts booking it.

strobogo

Banned
Sting got FUCKED up Vader, multiple times. 2012 Sting would have put 1992 Vader over, too. Sting has done his best to put guys over in TNA the whole time he's been there. He's always been good at losing to guys, even as super face. Almost too good, as seen in the late 90s where he apparently never stood up to anyone on anything except the Vampiro feud, where he dominated nearly every encounter. Sting basically treated Vampiro how Hogan treated Sting.

Aiii

So not worth it
The difference between Sting and Cena is quite simple.

Sting could help elevate a match to be a great match. Cena needs a great worker to help elevate his matches to be great.

Also they do not seem to have a pre-show match this time?

Not announced yet, but I expect Uso's versus Real Americans on the preshow.

strobogo

Banned
i can't think of a single bad match between Sting and Vader. that's how good the feud was.

It was great. Both guys were in their prime and a perfect match up for each other. There are so many prime Vader vs super faces that should have happened.

Prime Vader vs 1987 Hogan
Prime Vader vs 1988 Savage
Prime Vader vs 2006ish Cena
Prime Vader vs 1991 Warrior
Prime Vader vs 1996 HBK (that match wasn't prime Vader and wasn't nearly as amazing as it should have been)
Prime Vader vs 1998 Austin
Prime Vader vs 2001 Rock
Prime Vader vs Late 1998 Goldberg
Prime Vader vs 2003 Bork

Got dang. And then I think over other guys. Like:

Prime Vader vs 1996-2001 Benoit
Prime Vader vs 2001 Jericho
Prime Vader vs face Dolph
Prime Vader vs Daniel Bryan
Prime Vader vs FUCKING EVERYONE.

The difference between Sting and Cena is quite simple.

Sting could help elevate a match to be a great match. Cena needs a great worker to help elevate his matches to be great.

Not announced yet, but I expect Uso's versus Real Americans on the preshow.

This is accurate to me. Sting was a guy who could have good matches with lesser guys, but great matches with better guys. The only match I can think of where Cena took a lesser worker and still had a good match was the one with Lashley. Otherwise, all of Cena's great matches were with guys much better than him.

I'll give him the matches with Batista, as I think they were pretty much on the same level, yet had really fun matches.

The focus is Cena, it's always Cena.

This is why the product is suffering too. Every RAW plays out as "John Cena and Friends" and it is infuriating. The WWE is very lucky that so many people still watch out of misguided obligation because the product itself is garbage. I haven't seen a stable of wrestlers lacking in charisma for a very long time. The biggest issue is that there really are no truly villainous wrestlers anymore. You've got super duper babyface Cena and some baddies that run in and ruin matches. At least McMahon could get draw heat from the crowd. It's a neutered product. Zero balls.

Aiii

So not worth it
I don't know what Raw you guys have been watching, as Raw for months now has maybe a 5 minute Cena promo and a 10 minute match tops per show. Normally it's either a promo or a match too, not even both.

I think this is all in your heads, I don't blame you, it's WWE's fault. But certainly no longer true.

imBask

Banned
This is why the product is suffering too. Every RAW plays out as "John Cena and Friends" and it is infuriating. The WWE is very lucky that so many people still watch out of misguided obligation because the product itself is garbage. I haven't seen a stable of wrestlers lacking in charisma for a very long time. The biggest issue is that there really are no truly villainous wrestlers anymore. You've got super duper babyface Cena and some baddies that run in and ruin matches. At least McMahon could get draw heat from the crowd. It's a neutered product. Zero balls.

I think the charisma level in the roster is better than it was a couple of years ago, but then again : very shitty instead of incredibly shitty, it's still shit

McNei1y

My favorite Cena is when he lays completely flat on the mat as if he were just killed and then he instantly pulls off an FU before falling back to the mat completely still.

jmdajr

I don't know what Raw you guys have been watching, as Raw for months now has maybe a 5 minute Cena promo and a 10 minute match tops per show. Normally it's either a promo or a match too, not even both.

I think this is all in your heads, I don't blame you, it's WWE's fault. But certainly no longer true.

Cena might be last, but he's not the focus of the show. Other people get more screen time.

I know, I know..you all want a bad ass heel like HHH burying folks left and right, but there is only one king of kings. Maybe somewhere down the line....

strobogo

Banned
The worst thing about Cena is that he went the Hogan route and realized he didn't need to try nearly as hard to get the same reactions. I wouldn't say that he doesn't work hard or anything, but he's not the same guy after 2008ish or so and has had zero incentive to put any extra effort or creativity into matches. He became completely cool with being as formulaic as possible.

The main difference between the two being that Hogan was on TV once a month if you were lucky and there weren't 12 PPVs a year for him to be on doing that same match. In all of the years that Cena wasn't out due to injuries for part of the year, he's had more televised matches than Hogan did his entire WWF run. More televised matches in 1 year than Hogan had in 9. And people were getting sick of Hogan by that point.

Cena's just bored to shit. He lost his spark a long time ago and keeps going because of momentum. I don't think HE particularly likes what he's doing, but the machine around him is too big to just stop and change it up.

jmdajr

Totally unrelated, but always keep your eyes on the road out there.

622x350.jpg

622x350.jpg

There are always pictures of wrecks in the news, but this is one is pretty brutal. No way this dude was paying attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom