• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cecil the lion's brother, Jericho, is alive and well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afrocious

I think he is basically Schrödinger's lion for now.

36243-slow-clap-citizen-kane-orson-w-bJkI.gif

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Person makes post about how the death penalty should be used in response to this. I enlighten that person as to how backwards their thinking is and how little it will do to solve the root of the problem.

Where's the issue?

My post was not about death penalty. It was not even an answer to you. It was an answer to the part of the post that was lecturing on what one should be outraged about and what not. I thought it was obvious.

Edit: do you have two users on GAF? Because otherwise I don't understand this dialogue.

My post was not about death penalty. It was not even an answer to you. It was an answer to the part of the post that was lecturing on what one should be outraged about and what not. I thought it was obvious.

Edit: do you have two users on GAF? Because otherwise I don't understand this dialogue.

It's all loosely related. If that person had not been so outraged they wouldn't have been making such grandiose statements about people deserving the death penalty.

Wait what, did you guys think hunting ceased to be a thing all of a sudden because of Cecil's death?

Seriously. Some of the people in this topic need to do some research, this stuff is common place. Welcome to the real world, folks.

EDIT Ah, good, but it won't be long before he's killed by some other hunter...

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It's all loosely related. If that person had not been so outraged they wouldn't have been making such grandiose statements about people deserving the death penalty.

How the outrage is manifested is a different story and doesn't invalidate the reason for outrage. There was exactly one person who was over the top in this whole thread. And meanwhile he admitted he was wrong.

This, people are acting like it's the end of times.

How did so many people somehow ignore that illegal hunting is rather commonplace?

Seriously

Legal and illegal hunting have been commonplace but it really hasn't gotten the 24hr coverage, so people get worked up. As I said before, this will exit the cycle and people will basically forget all about it. Hopefully it causes significant change, pretty doubtful though.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
This, people are acting like it's the end of times.

How did so many people somehow ignore that illegal hunting is rather commonplace?

Seriously

Seriously. Some of the people in this topic need to do some research, this stuff is common place. Welcome to the real world, folks.

EDIT Ah, good, but it won't be long before he's killed by some other hunter...

As you two seem to be very experienced with this issue, please tell us what did you do about it?

Edit: I mean, if you knew about it for so long it's no wonder that people are surprised it's still happening.

even if the internet web warriors may be accused of blowing this out of proportion; I believe that shedding light on sports hunting to be a positive way to further ban the practice all together

take a look at this map about lion's geographical distribution:

now for something morea allarming about the black rhino:
black_map.jpg

and here are the low numbers on overall rhino species in the world:
RhinoMapUpdated_large.jpg

so, if anything dissuades sports hunting, then all the internet rage is okay in my book.
The sooner sports hunting is completely banned, the better

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Nothing, well we have donated occasionally in the past...but yah nothing.

I didn't ask you anything, but it's not the first time in this thread that you make this about you (even if you edited the first time). But thanks for letting me know why you're so passionate about the fact that this is news and something that happened in the past isn't. Should I make a thread about the fact that you donated, would that compensate for it?

Because if you really care about this subject you should be rather happy that this is on the news. Might get other people to donate, might get some push for some solutions, you know?

entremet

How would they know it was his brother in the first place lol.

I guess they assumed due to their friendly terms?

darscot

It's just a media frenzy now, my understanding was his brother was killed in 2008 when they entered the region and took on the alpha. His Brother was killed in the fight and both Cecil and the other lion where badly hurt, Cecil survived and the other animal was put down. Jericho was probable just another lion he teamed up with. It's common for males to stay in pairs, the usual stick with a brother when they leave the pride they are born in but as his brother was killed he teamed up with someone else. Lions don't actually know who there kids or parents are anyway, they are just a pride.

Poona

Wait what, did you guys think hunting ceased to be a thing all of a sudden because of Cecil's death?

I am hoping with the attention Cecil's death received it was not in vain and brings on a catalyst for change. It's too much to think about that with all this uproar and attention some other moron decided to pop his head up to kill another lion illegally.

If Africa can't sort itself out then least of all the U.S. needs to classify lions as endangered and end the importation from dead lions as that is where most of the kills are sent. Australia has already done it and I believe most of Europe has done it or are about to properly enforce it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
We don't even have all the facts. He prolly asked for it I hear those lions aren't nothing but thugs.

Lol.

Reading through a lot of comments in the past days, it seems that the hunters are quite similar to the US police in many ways. Including the "be grateful that I kill" attitude. And exactly like the US police, a lot of them are not bad, but most of them have this "defend the group no matter what" reaction.

PillarEN

Is it possible he was killed by a black hole? I mean I know a small black hole could suck up our entire galaxy but it's not entirely out of the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom