• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord Previews

It reminds me of multiplayer games that came along with single player games a few years ago. As a standalone product, I don't see anything that will hold people for long. The characters certainly are not interesting and the maps don't look very appealing either.

Yeah, this sort of thing can be a mistake as well. If you're going to add multiplayer to your single player game, either do it well, or don't do it at all. I'd say Ghost of Tsushima and Mass Effect 3 are examples of doing it well. Too bad the Mass Effect remaster didn't include the multiplayer. I think that was a stupid discussion.

Little Mac

About a hundred or so hours into Helldivers 2, I came to the realization that pvp games are no longer for me. I’m hoping advancements in AI create amazing cooperative pve gaming experiences in the coming future. Having said that Concord looked kinda cool when they showed it off weeks ago, and I hope it delivers for players diving into it later this year.

The character designs didn't grow an inch on me since I saw them the first time...

Overwatch suffers from "same body syndrome" for the female characters, besides a few examples, but they are very memorable.

Apex Legends, very consistent. Great character designs, even if some aren't super unique.

This just feels so hollow and derivative. Is like you mixed Suicide Squad and Guardians of the Galaxy, and vomited it out.

They are very crisp and graphically is good, but the actual designs are awful.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
This is like a monkey paw wish. I want more FPS developed by Sony, and then they give us a competitive arena shooter.

Like Jesus christ, why is it so difficult to deliver something their fan base actually wants?

This game is going to come and go quickly.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

This is like a monkey paw wish. I want more FPS developed by Sony, and then they give us a competitive arena shooter.

Like Jesus christ, why is it so difficult to deliver something their fan base actually wants?

This game is going to come and go quickly.
What does their fanbase want?
It's kinda quite expansive and quite diverse.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
What does their fanbase want?
It's kinda quite expansive and quite diverse.

Resistance and Killzone were hits and it's been 2 console generations outside of a ps4 launch title. I don't want reboots of those, but those definitely scratched an itch for the fanbase.

Marvel Rivals, Concord, Apex, Overwatch, etc
etc. Remove concord and you got plenty of options.

Last edited:

YuLY

Look like something that the people who are not online complaining will have fun playing.
Those people wont move over from Valorant. Thats the problem, this game has serious competition. Even from new games, that Marvel game in the same genre even looked better. This is dead on arrival.

Varteras

Gold Member
The character designs didn't grow an inch on me since I saw them the first time...

Overwatch suffers from "same body syndrome" for the female characters, besides a few examples, but they are very memorable.

Apex Legends, very consistent. Great character designs, even if some aren't super unique.

This just feels so hollow and derivative. Is like you mixed Suicide Squad and Guardians of the Galaxy, and vomited it out.

They are very crisp and graphically is good, but the actual designs are awful.

If this was the common level of variation in character design, I'd be fine with it. You have characters of varying height, width, type, etc. Some interesting designs and palette choices. This would actually work.
heres-a-first-look-at-concords-characters-and-gameplay-v0-t4O96tVuQ3mbvRxDovd9tduCmChOoPVjDgLdeI36XHo.jpg

Unfortunately, this looks to be common. If I can select 5 out of 16 characters and THIS is the dull looking crew I get, that's a problem to me and anyone who likes their character designs to pop.

concord-crew.jpg

You got characters like Kyps and Lark. Okay. Interesting enough, I suppose.

GO_aMbGXQAEW3dW
GO_aMbDWQAA-BRQ

But then you got this fucking crew.

GO_aMbCXIAAlUlw
GO6L3cdWYAAKoCs
thank-you-based-sony-pronouns-on-the-character-selection-v0-2wuuz3waun3d1.png
1SIHcue.jpeg
Concorde-13.jpg

Holy. FUCKING. Christ. How unimaginative is your character design team that you have this many fucking boring looking characters??

Last edited:

T0minator

The gameplay looks great, when I originally saw that it's a sci-fi PvP game I imagined cool looking characters and a slight darker tone... They need new artist for this game. The 16 characters they've shown almost all look ridiculously dumb. Gameplay wise it looks great though so I'll probably still play it but I'm not a fan of the characters designs at all

clarky

Gold Member
Give me a 4v4 team deathmatch and I might be in. I'm growing tried of objective based shooters.
There is a 5v5 kill confirmed mode, basically deathmatch.

I've watch a couple of the previews and listening between the lines there is a lot wrong with this game. I think they should have had a proper beta, say 12 months ago to give them time to take on feed back and make some proper adjustments.

Hearing talk of Destiny PVP doesn't fill me with confidence either. That game is an unbalanced mess.

Last edited:

CSJ

I need to say that, I cannot buy this game in my region, keys are region locked too and can't vpn or anything.
I even tried to make a steam account with a vpn in another country but it just defaulted back, they must have a crack down on popular one's.
Only way to play these sony games I assume is to get a friend to make an account for me in another country, attached to my email, and buy games for me.

The kicker? Sony's paying me $90 to test the game, twice the price of what it would cost for me to buy it.
So fuck em, net negative customer from me, shame it won't be enough.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
The characters are purposefully bland and ugly. I can't fathom how an actual artist would make or approve them. Someone who loves his job wouldn't.
The interesting part is that in art schools tend to focus on "figure drawing" trough the study of anatomy and some kind of standardization of proportions; the athletic body.

drawing fat is generally quite hard because it doesn't receive much focus or attention.

nial

Gold Member
Not sure if this has been posted already, but a Japanese channel uploaded some raw gameplay apart from them being terrible, the footage doesn't seem that bad at all. Game does seem kinda slow though:

It's not just any Japanese channel, it's fucking Famitsu. Has anyone else uploaded some gameplay like this?

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
About a hundred or so hours into Helldivers 2, I came to the realization that pvp games are no longer for me. I’m hoping advancements in AI create amazing cooperative pve gaming experiences in the coming future. Having said that Concord looked kinda cool when they showed it off weeks ago, and I hope it delivers for players diving into it later this year.
We need a new deathmatch game like Unreal Tournament. 50 players.......last one standing. No respawns. No stupid shrinking circle of death.

The flight, that hunter dodge, the shooting. All of it really looks like Destiny mechanics.

Absolutely nobody is sold on the lore but I think the gameplay will be ok.

Yeah gameplay looks top notch

Shame about the character designs. I guess they want to make this broadly appealing to capture a wide audience but it just comes across as lacking identity

Hestar69

"Concord’ Lead Character Designer Believes “Whites Must Acknowledge Their Privileged Position, And Then Actively Work For Equality” Also Claims The Ju"​

I can't wait for this game to crash and burn and all these morons lose their jobs in 1 year.

JCreasy

Holy. FUCKING. Christ. How unimaginative is your character design team that you have this many fucking boring looking characters??

I disagree.

You got varying silhouettes, with great use of materials. I continue to appreciate the use of color, which for me, pops.

Also, great variety of hair types. And perhaps, most importantly, good Black hair! Black gamers have tolerated decades of lazy attempts at Black hair by dev teams that never really cared. We finally have a new generation of devs that do care, and we’re getting great result.

The range here gives me hope we’ll continue get more distinct characters from this team. I want them to swing for fences. They’re off to a great start.

The CG trailer was a real treat. I’ve watched it multiple times. And I think the characters look extremely good in that high fidelity, CG environment. New-Final-Fantasy-announcement good. Haymar was giving me Agni’s Philosophy vibes.

Other games with truly uninspired characters designs don’t get nearly the level of scrutiny Concord is getting.

Varteras

Gold Member
I disagree.

You got varying silhouettes, with great use of materials. I continue to appreciate the use of color, which for me, pops.

Also, great variety of hair types. And perhaps, most importantly, good Black hair! Black gamers have tolerated decades of lazy attempts at Black hair by dev teams that never really cared. We finally have a new generation of devs that do care, and we’re getting great result.

The range here gives me hope we’ll continue get more distinct characters from this team. I want them to swing for fences. They’re off to a great start.

The CG trailer was a real treat. I’ve watched it multiple times. And I think the characters look extremely good in that high fidelity, CG environment. New-Final-Fantasy-announcement good. Haymar was giving me Agni’s Philosophy vibes.

Other games with truly uninspired characters designs don’t get nearly the level of scrutiny Concord is getting.

That's certainly an opinion.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
I disagree.

i get what you are saying, it's similar to The Finals, regarding body types and such things...but all that, just gives me vibes of cosplay rather than character design.

This dude:
G1aI5o7.jpeg

he is like a random dude cosplaying as combination of GokuXPiccolo...kinda gross.

there is something definitely off/weird with the way they are handling their human characters.... I think it's because of their realistic proportions and mundane facial features...yeah, it's a realistic art style that embraces the "ugliness" of the common folk.... their issue here is that they are doing this for "inclusivity and diversity" instead of as a way to elevate their art direction

people are laughing/cringing at them, not with them... I dunno if this is intentional... I don't think so.

JCreasy

i get what you are saying, it's similar to The Finals, regarding body types and such things...but all that, just gives me vibes of cosplay rather than character design.

This dude:
G1aI5o7.jpeg

he is like a random dude cosplaying as combination of GokuXPiccolo...kinda gross.

there is something definitely off/weird with the way they are handling their human characters.... I think it's because of their realistic proportions and mundane facial features...yeah, it's a realistic art style that embraces the "ugliness" of the common folk.... their issue here is that they are doing this for "inclusivity and diversity" instead of as a way to elevate their art direction

people are laughing/cringing at them, not with them... I dunno if this is intentional... I don't think so.

His vest looks cool. There’s a ton of dense detail there that I like. The distressed bits and holes with foam poking through. The geometry feels almost 60s’ sci-fi.

The tattered sleeves annoy me a bit.

Even the characters I’m not crazy about have something I kind of like. I hope to see them iterate and hit on something really cool.

When I think of institutional franchises like Mortal Kombat, which have been guilty of some exceedingly cringey character designs, the scrutiny Concord gets seems disproportionate.,

T0minator

I disagree.

I'm not sure how anyone can possibly think those are great start for character designs. They would have soooo much more success if they had character designs that were better. I understand it's all personal opinions but most agree, the characters aren't immediately exciting to play as

Varteras

Gold Member
I'm not sure how anyone can possibly think those are great start for character designs. They would have soooo much more success if they had character designs that were better. I understand it's all personal opinions but most agree, the characters aren't immediately exciting to play as

I'm hoping it's sarcasm on their part. Good Black hair and "materials" being the threshold for good and interesting character design is a pretty low bar.

Top Bottom