• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senran Kagura : new live-stream this Friday at 8PM JST / 1PM CET / 7AM EST / 4AM PST

Obligatory.

tumblr_m1s8l3BkaU1qzp9weo1_500.png
Only the faceless beefcake in the back is appealing. (Blondie maybe.) The rest are a big DNW.

kiryogi

Banned
Got my copy of Shinku in today finally! Such a huge leap up in combat from Burst/Versus, but also like a brickwall in difficulty and handling at first. It's been said that Yomi tends to kick everyones ass first time though and that's like the 2nd battle in the game.

Absolutely loving the personality when pairs come into play. IE Hikage teasing Yomi about bean sprouts and she's all. Where where?!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Any tips on beating the 'wolfman' like Dougen demon form with Asuka/Homura? He completely wrecks me on normal difficulty. Had to drop it down to easy to beat him but don't want to continue until that fight is cleared on normal! Maybe I just need to grind for a bit?

kiryogi

Banned
Any tips on beating the 'wolfman' like Dougen demon form with Asuka/Homura? He completely wrecks me on normal difficulty. Had to drop it down to easy to beat him but don't want to continue until that fight is cleared on normal! Maybe I just need to grind for a bit?

I didn't have too hard a time, often, rinse and repeating of the jump stun, throwing a chain combo in and keeping your distance. Using specials and team specials when you have them. I might have been using frantic mode. The thing is with actual boss characters, it's pretty hard to keep aerial raving them as they break out really fast, unless you corner them into a corner. Even then I've only managed to around 200 hits or so before they wise up.

That aside, I'm really loving Shinku, it's probably the very first entry that actually feels like a full on title. Not to say Burst wasn't, but maybe in terms of the production value, this feels complete in comparison. I actually think the models in these aliasing aside are better than Versus even. Just a lot more detail and the shading style too.

Also, transformations are so awesome! With their own quirks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnFhSUTF_Oc

And the tag teams are SO awesome, as is the new character. Totally want a figure of her:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cvP7I5v6YI

Oh and the soundtrack is sooo GOOD.

Lyte Edge

Will try working on it, Kiryogi. I went ahead and finished the game the other night. Love the epilogue battle with the fireworks and voiced music track going on. Too bad there's no fireworks when you get to play the battle for real afterwards.

I still like Shinovi Versus more than this game, despite it being much easier. There's just something about Senran 2 that makes it feel like I don't have total control over what is going on at times and the camera could be a lot better. I really hated it when bosses would disappear from the screen in certain fights...the camera should stay on them and zoom out more when you're locked on. Also there was just too much Asuka/Homura at the end. To the point that it felt like the other characters didn't even exist anymore. Adding to that, Kagura and Naraku aren't playable? Seriously? We get one actual new playable (joke) character? I hope they are made playable via DLC or something.

Hoping that the next Vita game plays like Shinovi Versus (And keeps the larger roster) but adds in the extra stances/moves and tag stuff from this game.

kiryogi

Banned
Versus drives me nuts despite the high fidelity and cast with the really simplified movesets and confrontations. SK2 really ups the ante on the other hand in those departments. Supposedly theres better camera control if you use the CPP but I haven't tried that yet since I have a skin on my 3DS currently.

Kysen

Put in 2 hours so far and I'm hating the camera/lock on system. Some times it's hard to see what is going on. As for the combat it's a step up from verses, really hope some of these elements make it into the next vita game. The boss fights are awesome because the camera is much better and there is more room to move about.

Lyte Edge

Versus drives me nuts despite the high fidelity and cast with the really simplified movesets and confrontations. SK2 really ups the ante on the other hand in those departments. Supposedly theres better camera control if you use the CPP but I haven't tried that yet since I have a skin on my 3DS currently.

SV is definitely more simplistic in comparison, but I prefer the dash mechanics, larger roster, and camera system to SK2. Plus you can block.

Hopefully they add in some type of camera control option for non-CPP users in an update. SV also had camera issues when it first released, which they fixed via a patch.

Put in 2 hours so far and I'm hating the camera/lock on system. Some times it's hard to see what is going on. As for the combat it's a step up from verses, really hope some of these elements make it into the next vita game. The boss fights are awesome because the camera is much better and there is more room to move about.

There are a few boss fights where the camera can be a problem.

kiryogi

Banned
SV is definitely more simplistic in comparison, but I prefer the dash mechanics, larger roster, and camera system to SK2. Plus you can block.

Hopefully they add in some type of camera control option for non-CPP users in an update. SV also had camera issues when it first released, which they fixed via a patch.

There are a few boss fights where the camera can be a problem.

The best defense is an offense! Jump stun is your best friend. The dash mechanics in burst/versus, while smooth, was extremely broken. I like how it's manual with a better degree of air control in SK2 and can actually be done at any time, so the combos/juggles are a lot more rewarding. Again, major contenders tend to break out pretty quickly regardless. I think the one big complaint I've been hearing out there is that this game is not very causal/newbie friendly.

Finally managed to get my copy, thanks customs ;p

I've finished ch.1 and while I'm pissed than Takaki decided to make yet another retelling of the Hebi castle invasion episode, I'm impressed by the level of polish of the figthing engine in comparison with the previous games, and the different 'stances' system provide some nice diversity (flying Katsuragi). And the models are beautiful for a 3DS game.

kiryogi

Banned
http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2014/08/27/79890.html

Senran Kagura 2 : Waistdeep DLC is out! Only 500y too! Lots of additional content XD Hope you have space on your SD card. It's over 2000 blocks at least.

- New gag scenario with FMV and fully voiced! Also the chibi characters are introduced with their own simplified movesets. Mirai's quest to obtain big breasts~!

- New outfits, swimsuits, hairstyles, accessories, weapons and backgrounds.

http://www.marv.jp/message/kagura.php

Also patch 1.1 (990 blocks) is out as well with lots of fixes and adjustments, including nerfing Yomi's AI for that first chapter. (Yup, clearly everyone thought she was hard)

Lyte Edge

Totally missed your post, Kiryogi. Thanks for the heads-up!

Been playing Neptunia U but I will set that aside to check this out.

Lyte Edge

Hipster DLC is up for 500 yen, along with Murasame for 800 yen.

Am re-downloading Waistdeep first. The game froze when I tried to access the DLC page and it deleted the DLC when I restarted the 3DS. :/

Jimrpg

Playing burst at the moment, and a bit disappointed in it actually. The movesets are pretty limited and most of the levels are more or less the same thing 70 times or over. The replayability in terms of characters are there, but I can't see myself playing it anymore than once. (up to the last stage in chapter 4 now). There's also a complete absence of any bosses.

I hope Shinku is better but I'll wait until it gets cheaper first. Will get Shinovi Vs as it looks a bit different anyhow.

Lyte Edge

SK/Burst, Shinovi Versus, and SK2 feel different from each other. I had trouble getting into Burst because I played Shinovi Versus first. The switch to full 3D changes things up a lot, plus it has more characters/moves and runs much better than Burst did. SK2 also runs pretty smoothly and has a much better challenge level, although there's camera issues. It has some huge bosses and improved game play, really making some characters feel different from each other, but the roster is smaller than SV.

SK2 feels much more polished, now we have several distinct stances for some characters, and the giant bosses are fantastic. I just regret that the crowd baching of the first 3DS games has been toned down in favor of chara vs chara fights, or fights with rarely more than 5-6 basic opponents at the same time :(

http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2014/08/27/79890.html

Senran Kagura 2 : Waistdeep DLC is out! Only 500y too! Lots of additional content XD Hope you have space on your SD card. It's over 2000 blocks at least.

- New gag scenario with FMV and fully voiced! Also the chibi characters are introduced with their own simplified movesets. Mirai's quest to obtain big breasts~!

- New outfits, swimsuits, hairstyles, accessories, weapons and backgrounds.

http://www.marv.jp/message/kagura.php

Also patch 1.1 (990 blocks) is out as well with lots of fixes and adjustments, including nerfing Yomi's AI for that first chapter. (Yup, clearly everyone thought she was hard)
Did Murasame get any new outfits and stuff from this DLC?

Lyte Edge

The third and final DLC pack, Burst, is up.

EDIT: And what is Burst? So we go from Waistdeep, which turns the characters SD/Chibi, to Hipster, which turns the whole game into a horizontal shooter, to Burst...which is...

...Ever wonder what would happen if Asuka got a massive bust increase and then Mirai stole away said bust for herself? Well, here's your chance. Uh...

It's weird.

EDIT 2: Beating the five missions unlocks an OPPAI menu option in the dressing room. Choose from multiple bust sizes. And one of the added bonus outfit sets are perverted Sailor Moon costumes. Definitely fits this game, lol.

Top Bottom