• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senran Kagura : new live-stream this Friday at 8PM JST / 1PM CET / 7AM EST / 4AM PST

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Zenaku, how many hours have you played so far?

The pair mode feature is nice, but unless I'm missing something, it seems like there are no tag supers? Was kind of hoping for that.

I also like that Homura finally got a proper 'ninja' outfit that differs from the school uniform.

But yeah, this game is pretty impressive visually. I've only seen it slow down a bit once so far, on Yagyu's first stage, and that was with 3D on. Framerate was very smooth even when fighting a boss monster.

-Horizon-

My Deluxe edition shipped today, set to arrive monday, but I bought the digital version yesterday and am right near the end now.

It took a little getting used to, particularly how enemies are a little harder to stun sometimes which makes it hard to combo, but it's been really enjoyable. I haven't touched the Youma's Nest mode, and just focused on the main story, with no power levelling, and the difficulty has been pretty nice.

The in-engine cutscenes always look great, some really nice costumes (seems the rip a lot easier than ever before) and overall a great game. Now to try this mission again...

o4hXnc3.gif

Man God

Non-Canon Member
They said SK:B did just fine, I'm not going to buy Versus or Bon Appetit out of any sense of obligation to get the superior SK2.

Hell I'm not buying Bon Appetit at all!

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Coming from SK:B, Versus was a complete upgrade from what I experienced on my 3DS.

I understand if you are not getting BonA, but Versus is well worth looking into.
I think he's saying he's buying Shinovi because it's a good game.

Zenaku

Finished the game, finally. I've also encountered a bug. Setting a specific costume onto Mirai causes her body to disappear, leaving just her head and disjointed hair.

Nzisybm.jpg

I tried to go on a mission with that and it crashed my game. =[

Zenaku, how many hours have you played so far?

The pair mode feature is nice, but unless I'm missing something, it seems like there are no tag supers? Was kind of hoping for that.

I also like that Homura finally got a proper 'ninja' outfit that differs from the school uniform.

But yeah, this game is pretty impressive visually. I've only seen it slow down a bit once so far, on Yagyu's first stage, and that was with 3D on. Framerate was very smooth even when fighting a boss monster.

Playtime is about 12 1/2 hours, roughly. Need to reload the game to check. That was of course just the main story, only playing each mission once. I still need to play through Youma's Nest, clear challenge missions, increase each characters friendship level, and play through the main story again in hard mode (each mission has easy, normal and hard, for anyone wondering; default is normal).

By tag supers, do you mean special attacks performed by both characters? Those are L+A (with both characters needing 3 scrolls, and you need to be firmly on the ground).

EDIT: While my in-game time is around 12 1/2 hours, I don't like getting exp for losing, so whenever I lost I'd reload. Activity log has my time down at 16 1/2 hours, so about 4 hours of losing and messing about in the changing rooms...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Coming from SK:B, Versus was a complete upgrade from what I experienced on my 3DS.

I understand if you are not getting BonA, but Versus is well worth looking into.

I'm buying Versus, even though from what little I've played of the import I found the combat to be a complete step down (2D Brawler>>>>3D Brawler) because I'm interested in some of the story development.

I have absolutely no interest in the other title.

Zenaku

BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARG.

Is this for sure? How about the possibility if DLC?

I've finished the game and unlocked all characters, so there's certainly not a second one in the game as of yet. However there is an option on the main mission menu that takes you to a (currently empty) DLC store that the game says will have DLC missions and costumes, and since Murasame will eventually be on there (and how Rin and Daidouji are DLC characters in SV) I certainly wouldn't rule out another character getting added as DLC in the future. We won't know until it's announced though, sadly. =[

Lyte Edge

Zenaku, thanks for the heads-up on the team supers. They are amazing...was wondering where the cinematic moves went! Like how there's pair-specific dialogue going on, too. And Yomi's moyashi attack :3

Some of the bosses seem completely out of place in this game, but bizarrely, it fits-- these battles remind me of a Senran Kagura/Soul Sacrifice crossover. Very weird demon designs.

Having now played as everyone but Daidoji, I definitely like the characters with alternate stances/weapons the best, like Katsuragi and Hikage. Even Mirai is fun, since you can switch between umbrella, machine gun, and rocket launcher weapons.

Zenaku

Yeah, I like the stance characters too, but Mirai is a little difficult to use. Might get better if she levels up a bit more though.

I've also offput Youma's Nest (stage 14-1 froze and shut the game down when the boss was at say 1/4 hp) and have moved straight to hard mode missions. Some bosses in the first playthrough were extremely annoying and forced me to prioritize jump attacks, or to use Inochigake and spam specials, so hopefully the expanded moveset and slightly higher levels for the characters will let me fully enjoy the system (first few stages seem to indicate I will).

So, how does Murasame play? Is he just as viable as everyone else?

And did Marvelous make good on their claim to treat him just as equally as the girls with the fanservice?

Zenaku

Pretty much all of Murasame's attacks have something happen afterwards. Stop running and he falls over, do a jump X attack and his head gets stuck in the ground, a ground X attack and his weapon gets stuck in the ground and he falls over pulling it out, use his ground special technique and he gets wrapped in his own chain and falls over (on top of a character, usually). Even if he loses, before the close up, you see his weapon swing round and land right in his...hometown.

The great thing is that all of those useless animations can be cancelled, either by jumping or dashing (in his case, rolling). It means that playing with Murasame requires you to constantly roll or jump after actions, but as long as you do that he's ok to play with.

I still need to level him up more and unlock one or two more moves in his moveset, but I've messed around with the Shinobi stones in the training mode, using ones to increase attack speed and the like, and he's rather quick when used right, albeit lacking in power.

Pretty much all of Murasame's attacks have something happen afterwards. Stop running and he falls over, do a jump X attack and his head gets stuck in the ground, a ground X attack and his weapon gets stuck in the ground and he falls over pulling it out, use his ground special technique and he gets wrapped in his own chain and falls over (on top of a character, usually). Even if he loses, before the close up, you see his weapon swing round and land right in his...hometown.

The great thing is that all of those useless animations can be cancelled, either by jumping or dashing (in his case, rolling). It means that playing with Murasame requires you to constantly roll or jump after actions, but as long as you do that he's ok to play with.

I still need to level him up more and unlock one or two more moves in his moveset, but I've messed around with the Shinobi stones in the training mode, using ones to increase attack speed and the like, and he's rather quick when used right, albeit lacking in power.
Interesting. I like his choice of weapon too, so he sounds fun. And I heard he goes full underwear, so that's good. It's too bad they made his in-game model so scrawny. :/

Someone told me that Dogen is in the game as a boss, so I'm hoping he becomes an eventual DLC character.

Zenaku

The game manual certainly covers all the important stuff.

That's disappointing, as the digital manual doesn't have any pages dedicated to event pictures, like Burst had.

My physical copy arrived around 10 minutes ago, with the soundtrack, so I'll probably sort out streetpass to check out the exclusive streetpass swimsuits after I burn the soundstrack to the PC. It'll be nice to have a nice quality version of the games op, as opposed to the one I ripped recording from the 3DS. I'll also need to check out how the CPP works for the camera.

Still haven't received my copy of the game (nor the Japanese 3DS that is expected to be shipping with it), but I was curious to see how the game is structured, how it's integrated with the rest of the saga, and how the whole 真影 + 紅蓮 = 真紅 idea plays out. So, according to the wikis, the five chapters are :

- Shinei no shû is a rebuild of the last chapter of the first 2DS game (attack on Hebi castle)
- Guren no shû is a retelling on how Homura Gurentai was formed.
- Naraku no shû : travel to Kyoto and introduction of new charaters Naraku/Kagura.
- Kagura no shû : big showdown versus the youma troops and and handful of onsen-themed levels ^^
- Shinku no shû

...with yet another Asuka/Homura duel to conclude the game, again.

I was pretty interested to see a 真神楽 character being mentionned. So I guess the mysterious girl is the matured form of Kagura ?

Granted, after the first game the plot of the franchise has been a mess, because the staff didn't succeed in plotting a direction for the game and weren't daring enough to assume the whole nekketsu/shounen aesthetics of the first game to its logical conclusion. Yet, I'm not sure a rebuild of the foundations of the game was totally justified.

Lyte Edge

I was pretty interested to see a 真神楽 character being mentionned. So I guess the mysterious girl is the matured form of Kagura ?

Yup.

If there's one thing that gets to me a bit about this game, it's that it can feel pretty repetitive at times, even compared to the other games.

Things start feeling tedious when you have to do what equates to five team battles -> five one-on-one battles with the same teammates battling each other. Wish they mixed up the rosters a bit more. The onsen level is a single in-door bath where everyone has the exact same battle, for example. More stage variety would have been nice.

If there's one thing that gets to me a bit about this game, it's that it can feel pretty repetitive at times, even compared to the other games.

Things start feeling tedious when you have to do what equates to five team battles -> five one-on-one battles with the same teammates battling each other. Wish they mixed up the rosters a bit more. The onsen level is a single in-door bath where everyone has the exact same battle, for example. More stage variety would have been nice.

According to the videos I've seen, a lots of the levels are you (optionnally with an ally) figthing another character. I liked the mob battles in the first games and the idea of taking on scores of enemies at once, I wish they had continued in this direction.

(there is still Youma's nest levels, but still not enough enemies on screen at the same time for my taste :( )

Lyte Edge

According to the videos I've seen, a lots of the levels are you (optionnally with an ally) figthing another character. I liked the mob battles in the first games and the idea of taking on scores of enemies at once, I wish they had continued in this direction.

(there is still Youma's nest levels, but still not enough enemies on screen at the same time for my taste :( )

It goes back and forth...basically it's "fight youma horde -> fight each other -> fight youma 'ninja' clones -> fight each other" rinse, repeat. It's not like the other games aren't somewhat like this, but there's just something about this version that has started to feel a bit more tedious. I still really like the game, but even though it's easier, I think I still prefer Shinovi Versus to this.

Eolz

Received the DX pack (even if I don't have a japanese 3DS yet) as well as Crimson Girls guidebook (with some nice art inside).
Impressed by the OST (first run bonus), it's even better than before, they really did a great job.

Got my copy earlier today and have been playing for a bit. Definitely feels different compared with 1/Burst and not just in terms of the 3D playing areas. Feels like some stuff like specials and progress through the story have been streamlined a bit. First boss demands that you get used to the newer way of playing too.

Too skinny. But it makes me all the more want to see what an all-male Senran Kagura game would look like.
Yeah, he is kinda scrawny, especially when compared to his artwork, where he looks super buff. His legs are nice at least, and they are trying. Hopefully a second male character will come as DLC.
DOGEN???

As for an all male Senran Kagura, I'd be so down with that, as long as most/all the characters are MEN, and not puny little twinks. (No offense to twinks.)

Hibari craks me up every time :D

Yeah, he is kinda scrawny, especially when compared to his artwork, where he looks super buff. His legs are nice at least, and they are trying. Hopefully a second male character will come as DLC.
DOGEN???

As for an all male Senran Kagura, I'd be so down with that, as long as most/all the characters are MEN, and not puny little twinks. (No offense to twinks.)

In an interview I read (granted, it was from the director of the anime adaptation), they talked at lengths about 'physical beauty'.

I hope we will get to see an otome game SK in the near future; but I'm not a big fan of the pretty boy style either... ;p

L~A

Senran Kagura 2 ver. 1.1 patch coming out before the end of the month. Bug fixes and some balance changes, apparently.

『閃乱カグラ2 -真紅-』 現在報告頂いてる不具合等はほぼ修正が完了し、チェック中です。同時にバランス調整と解り難い部分へのフォローなどもver1.1として順調にいけば今月中にアップデートする予定です。

Top Bottom