• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Justice League : F2P fantasy football 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vyer

I've only started really paying attention in prep for Fantasy, listening to podcasts and checking out mock drafts and damn people really are serious about that "RBs are a premium!" strategy this year.

2. (Bonethug) I vote for Sunday, August 25th anytime before 10EST works for me.. Work during the week and wouldn't be available until 6 pm EST. Might not leave enough time for the person who needs it before 7pm, assuming EST.

Whoops forgot to specify - on sundays im available all day. So that can work for me.

Jayhawk

Most experts seem to be saying 'RBs are at a premium' and there's 'depth at the QB position'. The thing I hate about drafting 1st round RBs in fantasy football is that the top 10 is rarely the same year-to-year. The only players to consistently be in the top 10 in RB scoring from the past few years are like Adrian Peterson, Arian Foster, and Ray Rice and that's not counting the year All-Day was injured.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
I've only started really paying attention in prep for Fantasy, listening to podcasts and checking out mock drafts and damn people really are serious about that "RBs are a premium!" strategy this year.

Adrian Peterson totally carried me like 2 years ago lol. I need to start brushing up on my strategy myself

^^^ edit: and yeah there is a big gamble drop off after those first few rbs too. I've seen people get hosed by Chris Johnson for what, like 3 years in a row now?

Should be done by a Random Number Generator maybe a week before the draft? Gives people time to do a couple of mocks if they want to.

Usually people say the first round can't win you a league, but it help you lose it. I've had Chris Johnson quite a few times during his dudey-ness, but always managed to come out with great teams. I seem to have a good knack for picking up great talent at bargain prices. Last year with RG3,Alfred Morris, Marshawn Lynch, Demeryious Thomas,AJ Green. The previous year with Gronk and Fred Jackson/Spiller. That year I went with the Johnson&Johnson special (Calvin Johnson/Andre Johnson) as my first two picks, and despite Andre's troubles....it turned out alright with Jackson/Gronk...enough to get 2nd. The previous year with Arian Foster (IIRC, don't quite remember).

I'm pretty sure those three years I had Chris Johnson in all of them.

Most experts seem to be saying 'RBs are at a premium' and there's 'depth at the QB position'. The thing I hate about drafting 1st round RBs in fantasy football is that the top 10 is rarely the same year-to-year. The only players to consistently be in the top 10 in RB scoring from the past few years are like Adrian Peterson, Arian Foster, and Ray Rice and that's not counting the year All-Day was injured.

Yeah, but that happens in the other positions even more. Who can forget Megatron's first half of the season last year. Not to mention Roddy White and Julio Jones switching bad games every week

Jayhawk

The top tier QBs are probably the most reliable and most consistent year-to-year barring injury when compared to the top tier of RBs and WRs. Only non-injury related QB busts from recent years relative to their average draft position are Rivers, Eli, and Vick. The emergence of good young QBs does support the experts' claims that there is depth at QB.

On the subject of week-to-week inconsistency, that is an issue with all skill positions... like for RBs that rely on rushing TDs for their fantasy point totals. There are only a handful of RBs I would trust to meet my point expectations on a weekly basis. I guess what I am saying is... I want a draft position where I can pick AD or Foster please. :D

Arkos

I guess this brings up a question I forgot about: when are we determining draft order?

Right now GJL at least is set to automatically randomize the draft order 1 hour prior to the draft. I can easily tell it to do that whenever, if everybody wants to go ahead and know (or we can use a different method if you like)

Just let me know and we'll get that done

Edit @jayhawk hey AD is mine stay back :p
Edit2 ok now I'm watching highlights of the Vikings and with those qbs maybe not lol

EDIT 3: GJL2 is full.

Arkos

OK I'm going to use the Espn.com to randomize the draft order for GJL next Sunday (1 week prior to draft). Let me know if there's any other method you'd rather use. Otherwise, I'll see you with a suspicious 3rd overall pick next week :p (god help me if I actually get the 3rd pick, I swear I'll do everything fair y'all)

this is the time for draft order input.

Draft is still sept 1st 7pm est, as a reminder

OK I'm going to use the Espn.com to randomize the draft order for GJL next Sunday (1 week prior to draft). Let me know if there's any other method you'd rather use. Otherwise, I'll see you with a suspicious 3rd overall pick next week :p (god help me if I actually get the 3rd pick, I swear I'll do everything fair y'all)

this is the time for draft order input.

Draft is still sept 1st 7pm est, as a reminder

I say let ESPN randomize it early. I didn't even know you could do it so early..

If we're doing a quote-off, I call 6th. I love being in the middle for some reason

Arkos

Hey! We don't get to call dibs on draft order you heathens! I'll just plan on doing it this Sunday :p

(when I said quote-off I meant if anybody had a silly competition idea for draft order, a la the League)

Edit: I changed the trade deadline to oct 30, after week 8 (like IRL), right now there's no limit to trades and waivers, but know that I will be watching for funny business

any spots left?

No :(

You can be the founding member of GJL3 if enough people join though. See:

GJL3
1. (Ultimatum)
2. (Rob N Banks)
3. (DarkFlow)
4. (SuicideUZI)
5. (Schlep)
6. (Brimstone)
7. (Teptom)

Ferny

So after looking at the Doodle schedule it seems like August 25th @ 9pm EST is the best time to get the draft scheduled for GJL2 so that's the date guys. I did see there were two people who may not be able to make it, if you are able to, please get the ESPN app. It's great and the draft works very, very well.

Arab I also need you to accept the invite for the league.

Arkos

arab, everyone in GJL2, you are beyond my help. Ferny is your boss now.

GJL will own GJL2!

Bonethug

So after looking at the Doodle schedule it seems like August 25th @ 9pm EST is the best time to get the draft scheduled for GJL2 so that's the date guys. I did see there were two people who may not be able to make it, if you are able to, please get the ESPN app. It's great and the draft works very, very well.

Arab I also need you to accept the invite for the league.

Added to calendar.

Are you going to set the draft order ahead of time?

Figured I'd throw this fantasy question here just to get some feedback.

I'm in a keeper league and have the second pick. Consider that it's a keeper league basically the first 7 rounds of regular players are gone, but of course, rookies are available to draft.

I was going to take Bell if he fell to me, but I don't think so any more. I want Lacy but am afraid he'll be gone number one.

My question is: Is Tavon Austin going to be a star and worth the second pick in a keeper league? Other players I could take: Pierre Garcon, Vernon Davis, Lamar Miller (but I haven't been impressed by him), Montee Ball.

Arkos

I want in on GJL3

I'm not intentionally going for it, but I want the Sacko

Rafi FTW

Hey Hey, Sign me up if you still have a spot!

Ok will do! Only 3 so far but it's a start ;)

Figured I'd throw this fantasy question here just to get some feedback.

I'm in a keeper league and have the second pick. Consider that it's a keeper league basically the first 7 rounds of regular players are gone, but of course, rookies are available to draft.

I was going to take Bell if he fell to me, but I don't think so any more. I want Lacy but am afraid he'll be gone number one.

My question is: Is Tavon Austin going to be a star and worth the second pick in a keeper league? Other players I could take: Pierre Garcon, Vernon Davis, Lamar Miller (but I haven't been impressed by him), Montee Ball.

Whoa that's freaking deep. Vernon Davis jumps out at me. I find it hard to believe anybody on the Rams will be a star until I see it. Did they get rid of S Jax? I got screwed with him as my feature back in the past couple of years. Bradford isn't even that bad I just don't trust em lol.

Edit: Lacy could be good if you got him, after living in Pittsburgh last year I can tell you that they need a RB BAD but it looks like Bell got hurt :(

Edit2: I would not be surprised if Montee Ball is huge. I hope so at least, good guy

Whoa that's freaking deep. Vernon Davis jumps out at me. I find it hard to believe anybody on the Rams will be a star until I see it. Did they get rid of S Jax? I got screwed with him as my feature back in the past couple of years. Bradford isn't even that bad I just don't trust em lol.

Edit: Lacy could be good if you got him, after living in Pittsburgh last year I can tell you that they need a RB BAD but it looks like Bell got hurt :(

Edit2: I would not be surprised if Montee Ball is huge. I hope so at least, good guy

Thanks for the feedback...Funny enough, now that we know Bell is really hurt for some time, he's not an option. Lacy should be gone...And I agree with you...I plan to take Davis.

Being in a keeper league my job is to create a solid 7 so I have a good team going into next year..(I just took this team over this year)...By taking Davis, I secure a player at a position that is fairly shallow in top-tier talent and I can keep him for years to come..ALSO..By grabbing a TE first round, I can take a DEF in my second, instead of 3rd like other people will. SF Def and Houston Defs are both up for grabs...Once again, that'd be another position I could secure for next year.

Guys like Bernard or Vereen may play well this year, but it's a total gamble...Ball is also a gamble and can't even really make an impression in the preseason. So I have to be confident with my first pick...Davis it is...I won't be racking up the wins this year, but it's more hopeful for next year. Yeah, Tavon Austin is not even in my running anymore.

Arkos

So I figured why wait until Sunday, you can go ahead and start planning your draft strategy while watching the games this weekend (plus OT has been killing it the past few days so I'm in a good GAF mood :p). This is, honest to god, how random.org randomized our order, on the first time around:

GJL Draft Order
1. Stonking Great Hits
2. Oa Green Llamas
3. First Name Russell...
4. Only Human
5. Only Gooddell Forgives
6. Stupendous Men
7. Foster, Texian for Bier
8. Straw Hat Pirates
9. Team Gill
10. I'm sorry 4 beating u!!!
11. Pondering Deep Thoughts
12. Corporate Peezy LLC

Timestamp: 2013-08-23 20:38:19 UTC

With the LM having perfect deniability :p
So I guess we'll stick with that? Unless you guys have any other ideas, just holla if so. Sun Sept 1st 7:00pm EST!

WATCH IT!

:p

We should revote on team names as I changed mine :p

actually I forgot that I left it as the default :/

I think it went through fine, Pondering Deep Thoughts right?

Edit: proof since I did it early
here

Arkos

Seriously it'll all even out, don't worry. But do consider that in your strategy obviously

So I figured why wait until Sunday, you can go ahead and start planning your draft strategy while watching the games this weekend (plus OT has been killing it the past few days so I'm in a good GAF mood :p). This is, honest to god, how random.org randomized our order, on the first time around:

GJL Draft Order
1. Stonking Great Hits
2. Oa Green Llamas
3. First Name Russell...
4. Only Human
5. Only Gooddell Forgives
6. Stupendous Men
7. Foster, Texian for Bier
8. Straw Hat Pirates
9. Team Gill
10. I'm sorry 4 beating u!!!
11. Pondering Deep Thoughts
12. Corporate Peezy LLC

Timestamp: 2013-08-23 20:38:19 UTC

With the LM having perfect deniability :p
So I guess we'll stick with that? Unless you guys have any other ideas, just holla if so. Sun Sept 1st 7:00pm EST!

Looks good to me. Thanks for doing that ahead of the draft time. I'm #4.

So are we gonna take the top teams/managers from all 3 leagues this year and pit them together next year, cause that would be kind of awesome.

GAFJL2 Draft Order

1. Team rCIZZLE
  2. Tim Eric Fantasy Team Great Job
  3. Bonethung's Skullcrackers
  4. Doof United
  5. Chip Chip Chipadelphia
  6. Aye Aye Kaep'N
  7. Team Joseph
  8. Team D
  9. The Bombers
  10. The Rooks
  11. Team Raimo
  12. Team Boss

for those interested.

Arkos

Yeah definitely I say, or maye just halves since it looks like the third league might not get off the ground. We'll figure out who's here next year and set it all up according to how we finish. Top flight should be GJL Gold :p

Arkos

We got like 6 people in GJL2 not in the draft room. Was expecting only about 2-3. Come all!

Slackers!! Get out the draft!

And I added everyone to GJL3 so far, I think you make 5 (8 minimum I think)

Ferny

Slackers!! Get out the draft!

And I added everyone to GJL3 so far, I think you make 5 (8 minimum I think)

We ended up with more people closer to the actual draft.

I came out ok. RB wise a little low but I made up for it with WRs

0K7JUJT.png

I've made a number of trades in my 12 team keeper league (i took over this team this year, someone else had them before me) and now I'm debating whether I've really improved my team or not, or if it's really just a zero sum with different players. Let me know which team you think is better overall (old or new), or if they are the same. Age matters as this is a keeper league. Feedback appreciated.

Old:
-QB-A. Rodgers
-RB-F. Gore
-RB-A. Bradshaw
-WR-D. Bowe
-WR-P. Garcon
-TE-K. Rudolph
-Flex-D. Sproles
-Def-Houston
-K-S. Gostowski

Bench:
No one noteable

New:
-QB-C. Kapernick
-RB-M. Jones Drew
-RB-E. Lacy
-WR- V. Jackson
-WR-D. Bowe
-TE-K. Rudolph
-Flex-D. Sproles
-Def-San Francisco
-K-S. Gostkowski

Bench: One noteable player
WR-K. Thompkins

Arkos

^^^ wow good haul. Kap and the 49ers D? Nice. Good luck with V Jax he screwed me last year :p (last year right?)

I'm interested in the third league.

Got ya! 6 now, 2 away (the closer to 12 the better though, an 8 team league could be hmm)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom