• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Holy fuck GAF I just saw a decapitated head after a motorcycle crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calamari41

41 > 38
There are bike riders you can tell won't go very long before they have some kind of accident. There are others who have gone 40 years without coming off the bike.

I dislike the ones that lane split at high speed - not only is it dangerous for them, but it gives me less options in what is supposed to be my lane.

Absolutely. The vast majority of the bikers on the road during my commute are ultra responsible, splitting lanes properly at safe speeds while making sure they are seen. Which is why the maniacs blasting through piss me off even more.

They're not just throwing their lives away. They're destroying the lives of their families, and most likely ruining the life of the person who they hit or who ends up hitting them.

My friend does organ harvesting. Most the donors are motorcycle drivers. Motorcycle drivers who are also donors, thanks for your organs, although usually not skin there's normally not much of that left that's salvageable after you wreck your bike.

User1608

Banned
Wow, so sorry you saw that. Please, take some more time to take it easy and relax. May he also RIP. And yeah, South Boston is scary sometimes.

Arc

You were drunk driving?

No I was out drinking in Southie and taking an uber home.

And thank you to all the serious replies here. I've kind of calmed down a bit and hopefully won't think about it much more. I'm just trying to shake the image at this point.

My friend does organ harvesting. Most the donors are motorcycle drivers. Motorcycle drivers who are also donors, thanks for your organs, although usually not skin there's normally not much of that left that's salvageable after you wreck your bike.

So, marginally better post than the puns on first page?

kronose

Banned
Unfortunately most people only know about the bad motorcycle riders, as they are the ones in the news and getting in wrecks and dying. Obviously accidents can happen to anyone, but riders should be smart how and when they ride. I started when I was 7, and have been riding motorcycles off and on for 26 years. Never had a wreck in the street. I wrecked on dirtbikes, but not badly, from doing jumps and roughing around. But street riding is serious business.

I drive around and see idiots on motorcycles all the time and shake my head. You can tell pretty easily who the smart good riders are and the vast majority of bad riders by how they drive, what they wear, etc...

It's a shame riders get a bad rap because of all the ignorant irresponsible riders.

aly

I'm sorry you that you had to see that. I always turn away to look from accidents for fear of this and tell my sisters not to look either. Seeing that type of stuff can mess a person up. Someone suggested this already, but I do agree that trauma counseling would really help dealing with what you saw. It's ok to talk to someone.

hoola

Neo Member
I used to consider being a firefighter when I was a kid, and then my step-dad told me stories of when he was a firefighter. He would be called out to horrible accidents and have to find body parts all over the road and in the ditches. I couldn't deal with that. I can't even see pictures of it on the internet.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Hey, lets make light of someone's traumatic experience with puns. Puns that aren't particularly clever either.

I avoid travelling behind bikes because I'm nervous that I'll see them have an accident in front of me. I've seen a few dead people in accidents, I really dislike seeing it.

I have much respect for tow truck drivers and emergency services people - they see this shit all the time.

Known a lot of bikers in my life and i actually place myself behind them or in their blindspot because i know I'll be aware and careful about the fact that it's a biker there when a lot of people just aren't.

Can't remember where i read it but there was a breakdown of exactly why bikes are more dangerous besides the obvious reasons and one finding was that people essentially blank motorcyclists from their mind when they check mirrors/blind spots. Like you expect to see a car and when your eyes flash over that area of the road - even though you clearly saw a motorcyle there - the absence of a big ass car tells the muscle memory in your arms to go ahead and change lanes.

Yeah, maybe I'm naive, but how does the head come off? (O_O)

potentially a result of the helmet (who knows exactly what kind he had on) and the angle of the hit. Or a million other means. Human body aint so tuff when you're vaulted from your bike at speed. :(

Apath

Just doing my part.

DonMigs85

I've yet to see a human fatality close up, just some roadkill (mangled cats and rats only, dogs here seem more street smart)

Motorcycles are one of those things that I bet 50 years from now we will be sitting back in our Google self driving cars reading on buzzfeed about the crazy shit humans used to embrace and love in the dark ages of vehicles.

I've heard too many horror stories of injuries and know of two people who have died on motorcycles and I frankly would never take that risk.

Pretty much, I've heard/seen too many accidents just like the one in the OP.

Ivan 3414

Motorcycles are one of those things that I bet 50 years from now we will be sitting back in our Google self driving cars reading on buzzfeed about the crazy shit humans used to embrace and love in the dark ages of vehicles.

I've heard too many horror stories of injuries and know of two people who have died on motorcycles and I frankly would never take that risk.

There will always be risk takers among us; it's just how somepeople are wired. And a supposed near-future of automated driving will just encourage more daredevils and breed new ones.

Savitar

One more reason I don't drive bikes. I'm sure it's thrilling but just too easy to get hurt. I swear most bikers break at least a leg.

grumble

Unfortunately most people only know about the bad motorcycle riders, as they are the ones in the news and getting in wrecks and dying. Obviously accidents can happen to anyone, but riders should be smart how and when they ride. I started when I was 7, and have been riding motorcycles off and on for 26 years. Never had a wreck in the street. I wrecked on dirtbikes, but not badly, from doing jumps and roughing around. But street riding is serious business.

I drive around and see idiots on motorcycles all the time and shake my head. You can tell pretty easily who the smart good riders are and the vast majority of bad riders by how they drive, what they wear, etc...

It's a shame riders get a bad rap because of all the ignorant irresponsible riders.

I once met a head of a motorcycle safety charity who angrily told me that it was only irresponsible bikers who got in trouble. Three weeks later he was dead. Car hit him, never saw it coming. A motorcyclist can try and be safe but they're dealing with situations where a car can be at fault and they still die. The motorcycle fatalities are dozens of times higher than cars per kilometer driven and many are not their fault but who cares. They die anyways regardless of whose fault it is.

Yeah, maybe I'm naive, but how does the head come off? (O_O)
potentially a result of the helmet (who knows exactly what kind he had on) and the angle of the hit.
That to me is spreading FUD. It's well established that motorcycle helmets not only reduce the risk of mortality and traumatic brain injury, but the helmets are also specifically associated with less risk of cervical spine injuries compared to non-helmeted. That is fact. Increased torque on the head causing a worse injury is a myth that doesn't pan out.

ajim

Horrible. I've never witnessed anything like that in real life but I couldn't handle it I think.

Mototcycles get a bad rap because there is absolutely nothing protecting you from any impact while you're on them.

If you really think that your safe driving is the only factor in your safety in traffic you need to think again.

People get into accidents that weren't their fault due to reckless/inattentive behavior by another driver. That includes people who practice defensive driving and who pay attention.
I've never been in a road accident, my father has never been in a road accident, you have never been in an accident.
You , me and my father have been lucky, many others have not been so lucky. If I look at my family and friends we are the exception.
The difference between me and you is that I'm not naive enough to think that I'll never get into a wreck.

When you do get into a wreck even at low speeds and you are on a bike you are likely to get maimed or killed.
When you get into a wreck at 60km/h in a modern car you are very likely to walk away without any injuries.

Driving a motorcycle is a big risk and you are playing roulette with your life, counting on never getting into any serious collision.
Cyclists aren't naive about how vulnerable they are.. I wish motorcyclists weren't either.

It's your life and your risk, but don't be disingenuous or naive about the risk.

Also as an aside : every single person on the planet thinks they're a good driver, it's such a hollow statement.

My boss used to be a paramedic, and he has seen some shit.

I like the idea of riding a motorcycle, but I don't think I'd ever start riding one, just based on how dangerous they can be. Any minor accident in a car could potentially be fatal in a motorcycle. The odds just aren't very good.

PSYGN

I would be scared to drive a motorcycle just because other vehicles would have a harder time seeing you.

That's what i tell people about buying a motorcycle.. it's a ton of fun but only do it if you can deal with dying at any second. A rabbit or a small stone is enough. Old people behind wheels are enough.

Oh and don't think you're fine on a scooter. They are worse. Way worse.

I ride my bike 90% of the time I'm going somewhere, rarely use cars. It's harder to get into an accident (better view, more routes of escape, etc..), but anything that would be a harmless fender bender in a car accident is your body used as a fender so there's that. But I've never felt any danger on my bike.

Anyway one thing that is really insensitive is people telling how dangerous bikes are to people who ride bikes. My only friend that has died in a traffic accident so far was on a car, thousands of people die on cars every year - would be acceptable that when someone says that they drive a car my reaction would be "oh, that's really dangerous, a lot of people die that way"?

EDIT :

That's what i tell people about buying a motorcycle.. it's a ton of fun but only do it if you can deal with dying at any second. A rabbit or a small stone is enough. Old people behind wheels are enough.

Oh and don't think you're fine on a scooter. They are worse. Way worse.

Like this. I think people know that riding a bike can be dangerous. So (to a lesser degree) is driving a car. Would you tell anyone that is going to buy a car "you might die?".

Tagyhag

That's horrible.

My dad got a motorcycle as part of his mid life crisis, since he used one throughout his teen-early adult years.

His riding skill doesn't worry me, but other jackasses not seeing him does. Thankfully he tends to use it around 1-2 times a week at most.

Motorcycles are fucked up. I respect people who ride them, but I could never do it.

Even if you're the best rider in the world there are too many dumbassses driving cars

Piggus

Motorcycles are fucked up. I respect people who ride them, but I could never do it.

Even if you're the best rider in the world there are too many dumbassses driving cars

I nearly get hit at least once per month. People are dumber than bricks. One of my high school friends got rear ended while stopping for a pedestrian a few days ago.

Yagharek

The only possible consolation is that the victim probably didn't suffer.

If it's giving you problems OP, talk to your GP about it and see if they can suggest any short program that might help you process it and move on.

I don't think I'll ever see the appeal to riding a motorcycle. My dad was killed in a car accident when I was a baby, so that's pretty much shaped how I think about driving, regardless whether or not I wanted it to.

In terms of gruesome road deaths I've seen, I'm pretty lucky that I've only ever seen the aftermath, but my curiosity always gets me and I look up what happened after I get home. Among the worst were a burnt-out frame of a car that was still on fire and a huge red stain on the freeway. The first ended up being an accident where a drunk driver hit a car with a woman and her child and killed them both, and the second was a girl who committed suicide by jumping from a moving vehicle.

Damn, that's pretty messed up. Why would you look though? I always tell my gf not to look and she does anyway, and I can never understand why people can't abstain from looking *if* they're shocked by this sort of thing.

Also, sorry for being that guy: isn't it severed head, decapitated body? Like isn't decapitate specifically referring to the separation of the head? Decapitated head is a head separated from a head. Am I wrong?

Some guys family just found out their loved ones dead and people are making jokes. Keeping it classy. Hell they may not even know yet. It took hours before i found out my parent was in a car accident and they survived.

Makai

Yikes. Virtually nobody wears a helmet where I live and it scares the crap out of me. I slow wsy down when I pass cyclists and give bikers like 10 car lengths.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Some guys family just found out their loved ones dead and people are making jokes. Keeping it classy. Hell they may not even know yet. It took hours before i found out my parent was in a car accident and they survived.
I feel like a of people here tend to resort to comedy when faced with tradegy. I don't know if thats a good thing.

Just recently saw a clean up crew squeegeeing a big blood stain off the road at an intersection I got stuck in. Looked like a bike ran a red light and t-boned an SUV.

I'm assuming the dude was dead immediately based on the size of the smear.

kronose

Banned
Mototcycles get a bad rap because there is absolutely nothing protecting you from any impact while you're on them.

If you really think that your safe driving is the only factor in your safety in traffic you need to think again.

People get into accidents that weren't their fault due to reckless/inattentive behavior by another driver. That includes people who practice defensive driving and who pay attention.
I've never been in a road accident, my father has never been in a road accident, you have never been in an accident.
You , me and my father have been lucky, many others have not been so lucky. If I look at my family and friends we are the exception.
The difference between me and you is that I'm not naive enough to think that I'll never get into a wreck.

When you do get into a wreck even at low speeds and you are on a bike you are likely to get maimed or killed.
When you get into a wreck at 60km/h in a modern car you are very likely to walk away without any injuries.

Driving a motorcycle is a big risk and you are playing roulette with your life, counting on never getting into any serious collision.
Cyclists aren't naive about how vulnerable they are.. I wish motorcyclists weren't either.

It's your life and your risk, but don't be disingenuous or naive about the risk.

Also as an aside : every single person on the planet thinks they're a good driver, it's such a hollow statement.

What kind of response is this? Thank you for calling me naïve, when I never said I could never have an accident. If you look at what I said, I plainly said 'obviously anyone can get into an accident'. Everyone includes me. So thank you for calling me naïve, when I am nothing of the sort. You literally know nothing about me, so thanks for the assumptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom