• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Holy fuck GAF I just saw a decapitated head after a motorcycle crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astral Dog

motorcycles freak me out, they seem too dangerous, even the most responsible driver can be at risk and that helmet is not going to do much, worse when you consider the traffic. they look cool though.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Play a video game for a few hours or watch a movie, it'll help you get the image out of your head, even if only for a bit.

I've known five motorcycle drivers in my life (two of them relatives). Four of them were killed in accidents while riding.

One of them (my uncle), supposedly went out riding in the rain, slipped, crashed into a tree, was knocked out by the crash, then landed in a ditch and drowned.

Prez

motorcycles freak me out, they seem too dangerous, even the most responsible driver can be at risk and that helmet is not going to do much, worse when you consider the traffic. they look cool though.

I once had a scooter accident, came to a halt against a van at 50km/h and landed head first on the asphalt. If helmets didn't save lives you wouldn't be reading this.

bbalde

Bought a motorcycle, came home with it, my wife sold it the next morning. I wanted to avoid traffic (was living in Bangkok at that time), she just told me to wake up early and she is not prepare to id my body... Stay safe !

Harmen

It takes time, OP. One of my friends saw someone jump in front of a train right before him while waiting for the train to pass by (on foot). Heavy stuff, but unfortunately also part of the things one may encounter in life. Don't let it get to you but there is nothing wrong (actually, it is natural) to be shocked here.

Edit: I see it has been dealt with, but man some of those first replies. Seriously, there is no need to act like the "funny" guy all the time, especially in matters like these.

I honestly hate Motorcycles, I always thought they were so dangerous and easy to get hurt on just a couple of months ago my cousin died in a motorcycle accident. he was only 26. Sorry you had to see that op.

Yep motorcycles are entirely too dangerous. Im content to sit in my bubble wrapped,bacteria free house all day and wait to die of old age.

Dreavus

I love the idea of motorcycles (essentially a cheaper way to get around for one person – it would actually be perfect for my living situation atm), but as long as you are at the mercy of all the other dumbasses driving now-relatively-gigantic cars on the road I just can't justify it.

A family friend died when he hit a moose just this week. My dad has been injured twice, ribs broken etc. His friend had to be airlifted from rural Canada when they were touring Alaska this summer..

Yeah never getting on a bike.

Daria

I never will understand the urge to ride a motorcycle but at least wear a helmet if you do. christ, this is the second decapitation I've read about related to motorcycles in a months time

e: the first accident was more of a separation of two halves of the body from running into a cable holding the telephone pole up

So sorry you had to witness that OP.

I used to work with a guy who rode regularly on weekends until he was hit by a truck and shattered his pelvis. You're so vulnerable on a bike - all it takes is one mistake from another road user.

Ptaaty

Been riding since I was a kid and had a street bike since 15 (I'm 38 now). I just got done with a 2800 mile tour and loved every second.

That said, I am scared to death of thinking of people starting riding later in life and going right onto major roads. You need to know how to read other cars, constantly think about wildlife, etc. Even then...you never know. How you ride, what you know and applied experience are huge.

Just on the last day:
1. I watched a car pull up to do a left crossing turn, I stared right at him and sure enough he started to pull out, I laid on the horn and hit the breaks. Newer riders or inattentive riders would have T boned him.
2. Dark area / heavy trees outside of Mt Rainier...I was using all my focus knowing this was the type of hotspot for wildlife...sure enough, moose and its baby start crossing a few blocks ahead and I slow to a stop.

I ride a sport touring bike with ABS, full face Snell/DOT helmet, minimum a riding jacked and gloves and riding boots, 95% of the time riding pants as well. Ride all year.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I didn't expect to see so may people getting banned in this thread.

KHarvey16

From that reddit thread, here's the official release from the Mass state troopers regarding the accident:

http://www.mspnews.org/2015/08/state-police-investigating-fatal-motorcycle-crash-in-boston/

This morning at about 12:05 a.m., State Police from the Tunnels barracks responded to a report of a crash involving a motorcycle on Route 93 North in the Thomas P. O’Neil, Jr. Tunnel near exit 23 in Boston, which resulted in the death of the operator.

Preliminary investigation by Trooper Eric Papkee indicates that Kieran Boyle, 23, of Norwood was traveling northbound in the tunnel on a 2013 Yamaha R6 when he lost control of the motorcycle, causing him to crash and ultimately strike the concrete barrier adjacent to the roadway. Boyle sustained fatal injuries as a result of that impact, and was pronounced dead at the scene.

While the cause of this crash remains under investigation, speed is believed to be a factor.

Trooper Papkee is being assisted in this investigation by the State Police Collision Analysis and Reconstruction Section, the State Police Crime Scene Services Section, and a trooper assigned to District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s office. Also assisting on scene were members of Boston Fire and EMS and the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner.

Unfortunately it does sound as if the handrails along the walkways on the sides of the tunnel came into play. They've caused a few incidents like this over the years.

VanWinkle

I cannot believe there are pun posts in the beginning of this thread. On a subject like this. Absolutely ridiculous.

That is really terrible, OP. I could seriously see that being really traumatising to me if I had seen that.

I'm not usually the type to poo-poo making jokes but hot damn some of the first replies were tasteless.

Anyway, I took motorcycle classes. Fell off the bike and sprained my wrist. I tried to finish but I couldn't use the throttle correctly and wound up falling off it two more times.

Haven't tried again but I'm tempted to. We visit the Philippines often and I'd like to ride around on a bike. But when I think about it now I still get a bit jittery at the thought of it.

Arc

So I guess that reddit thread and news stories confirm I wasn't seeing things...

I've mostly shaken the image and now it's more of a baffling kind of feeling. I still can't believe I saw it. Thoughts and prayers for the family.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I've always wanted a motorcycle, having loved bicycles, but I am a reckless person so idk....

I drove by two bicycle fatality scenes in the last day alone.
One was right by my home. The bike looked like a metal tumble weed.
I've been in a car during an accident where we were stopped and hit from behind by someone doing 75mph and the worst injury was a fractured knee. The same thing on a bike would have been nasty. Bikes are some risky shit.

The Lamp

I'm sorry you had to see that. That's awful. I don't know how I would handle something that grotesque in person.

It amazes me that people used to go to public beheadings/executions like some sort of town event. You know, families, to watch a traitor get beheaded or burned at the stake or what have you. Just like wtf.

Poor guy (and anyone else involved, as well as friends and family).

I've grown somewhat desensitized to gore like that (I'm a medic student and do ER and ambulance clinicals...don't get me wrong, it still bothers me, but you learn to shut that part of your brain down and do what needs to be done for the good of the patient), but I can remember how freaky it was just to see a dead body when I first got started.

Stay strong.

I cannot believe there are pun posts in the beginning of this thread. On a subject like this. Absolutely ridiculous.

That is really terrible, OP. I could seriously see that being really traumatising to me if I had seen that.
Maybe it's because I grew up on Something Awful around 9/11 but this was pretty tame. Like really, really tame.

Not that seeing it first hand wouldn't bother me, it's happened before, just that I've come to expect a few bad puns around horror.

hirokazu

I love the idea of motorcycles (essentially a cheaper way to get around for one person – it would actually be perfect for my living situation atm), but as long as you are at the mercy of all the other dumbasses driving now-relatively-gigantic cars on the road I just can't justify it.
That's the case if you're a responsible motorcyclist yourself. I have tremendous respect for motorcyclists who are safe riders. But you do encounter a lot of moronic motorcyclists who are accidents waiting to happen.

It sounds like the unfortunate victim of this accident may be one of those people.

I remember driving by an accident and seeing someone passed out/ possibly dead from my car, so couldn't imagine seeing an actual decapitation death. That sucks OP, hopefully you can get past the thought of it..

trixx

A good friend of mine's dad passed when he was young in a motorcycle accident. I love the idea of riding one but I think I'll pass.

If I do, it would be just on theahor roadway for short distance, even than a regular bike would suffice just fine. Also lost a friend he was riding his bike on the major road last year, real sad.
Sorry for having to see something like that op, also thoughts to that man's family

Harpuia

I believe the course of action for a first responder when at a motorcycle crash is to look for the helmet. Mostly due to the possibility that the driver may have been decapitated. I guess that speaks to the frequency of such incidents. :/

So I guess that reddit thread and news stories confirm I wasn't seeing things...

I've mostly shaken the image and now it's more of a baffling kind of feeling. I still can't believe I saw it. Thoughts and prayers for the family.

There was a thread of what you saw? Crazy.

Prez

On a bike you can still "fly" away. On a scooter you just hit a wall. With your stomach. Always.

You mean you hit the steering wheel of the scooter with your stomach? I can see that now looking at modern scooters, I had old 60s/70s scooters in mind which I'm a fan of. You'd definitely fly away on those.

50cc motorcycles are good as well. I wouldn't want to go any faster than 35mph on a motorcycle. Much more likely to survive an accident at that speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom