• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Direct - June 6th 2017 15:00 BST

What are you expecting from this Direct?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting that they would be making this announcement ahead of E3. I wonder why? I guess it's a Game Freak/Pokemon Co. decision to not be a part of the overall E3 presentation or something.

My possible wager/suspicion that it may be trying to clear the air so they can focus on Treehouse streaming. So they don't let the announcement itself overshadow whatever else they have at E3 - which worked for them last year.

1496672648648.jpg

2AwcGdQ.jpg

In-game image was posted yesterday and the concept art was posted today. Some details

i'm a translator working on the upcoming pokémon game which you know as codename "pokémon stars".
I'll be leaving here few infos because u'll soon get an official announcement.

the new game will be available both for 3DS and Nintendo Switch. Only one title, not a couple of games.
the two versions can, of course, communicate.
Game will be again set in Alola, no visiting Kanto. Most of the characters will be grown up, such as Gladion that now fully runs Aether Paradise on his own.
Gyms are now built up. No more Alolan trials.
there will be no new pokémon or megas. Necrozma is getting a new form though. there will be new exclusive Z-moves. Won't say
anything more on them.
while the game is a sequel, plot is heavily focused on past events, such as black & white 2: you'll know more about how Mohn lost his memories, and how Necrozma fell into our world. (hint: "stars"!)
the game is heavily filled with cutscenes, even more than Sun & Moon.

what you see here is a grown up Gladion in his new suit. Feel free not to believe, i don't want any troubles on leaking things. Do not ask anything, I won't be saying more than what's already in the post.

boy is called kaosu, girl is called hoshi
Holy crap. A sequel??? No new Megas is super unfortunate again (I want my Mega Typhlosion...). But will I see an older Lillie?

And yay more story!!!
Chiming in as apparently the one person on earth who liked Pokemon Sun & Moon's story focus to say I liked the storyline.
I liked the story too! I'm definitely okay with more cutscenes. Bring em!

Pokemaniac

Yup.

It's not, this is a Nintendo Direct. They don't do Directs for mobile games.

Didn't Smash 3DS also have the outlines specifically due to the small screen size? Or Sakurai said something to that effect? That it helped distinguish the characters, or helped you see them on that small screen?

I kinda​ doubt the lines are for that, given how much of the screen the Pokémon take up. Seems more likely they're part of the general art style which is mimicking the style of the Sugimori art.

Skipped Sun and Moon on the 3DS because it was such a busy season back when it released, I also had heard the rumours about Stars. Hopefully this is it. I'm ready for some HD Pokemon action (outside of my phone)

watershed

Banned
1496672648648.jpg

2AwcGdQ.jpg

In-game image was posted yesterday and the concept art was posted today. Some details

i'm a translator working on the upcoming pokémon game which you know as codename "pokémon stars".
I'll be leaving here few infos because u'll soon get an official announcement.

the new game will be available both for 3DS and Nintendo Switch. Only one title, not a couple of games.
the two versions can, of course, communicate.
Game will be again set in Alola, no visiting Kanto. Most of the characters will be grown up, such as Gladion that now fully runs Aether Paradise on his own.
Gyms are now built up. No more Alolan trials.
there will be no new pokémon or megas. Necrozma is getting a new form though. there will be new exclusive Z-moves. Won't say
anything more on them.
while the game is a sequel, plot is heavily focused on past events, such as black & white 2: you'll know more about how Mohn lost his memories, and how Necrozma fell into our world. (hint: "stars"!)
the game is heavily filled with cutscenes, even more than Sun & Moon.

what you see here is a grown up Gladion in his new suit. Feel free not to believe, i don't want any troubles on leaking things. Do not ask anything, I won't be saying more than what's already in the post.

boy is called kaosu, girl is called hoshi
Sounds believable but no trials and no new pokemon is disappointing.

Pokemon Switch is going to be incredible when it finally comes for one thing, and one thing only, multiple save files! The Switch account system means that we'll finally be able to have multiple save files on the same device using a single cartridge. However, the way the Switch works does sacrifice the save data being stored on the cartridge, which is not something that I am a fan of.

Not for me. I wanna play on the big screen. Thats the big draw here.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I thought there were a lot of cool characters that had some neat arcs. gladion, guzma, and lillie especially.

Yes. I like how it went through a lot of different characters and tried to flesh them all out. The main characters all had differing goals and character development related to them, even including the professors. The trial leaders, despite being shorter appearance characters, all had clear personalities and mini arcs. The story mixed several overarching plotlines with a bunch of character specific arcs. The various characters interacted with each other, each other's storylines, and your storyline throughout the game. It was very executed for a company who had relatively little experiencing extensively fleshing out a world and characters in the past.

Fandangox

Chiming in as apparently the one person on earth who liked Pokemon Sun & Moon's story focus to say I liked the storyline.

I really liked the focus on the storyline, the issue was more on how it interrupted the gameplay segments often, specially early through, and how little exploration there was in the game.

I am excited though.

Pokémon Eclipse, here we go boyz!

Eclipse makes more sense than Stars and you know it!

I would love it to be called Eclipse than Stars.

I haven't played a Pokemon game since Black. Hopefully this leak is real, because I would love to play a Pokemon game on the Switch and see what enhancements they implement with this port.

jmizzal

Remember the Fire Emblem Direct had FE Switch, FE Warriors the FE remake for 3DS and the mobile FE game, but that was longer then 8 mins.

If this was a ND for a mobile game only the would say it

I'm betting Switch and prob 3DS

Geg

On the one hand that character design sheet looks pretty legit.

On the other hand, blurry photo of game screen at tilted angle

Brofield

Eiaha.gif

Hell, I'm excited regardless whether it's Switch or 3DS, I just hope we get a release date in some capacity whether it's a hard number or some season in the next year

doop_

Banned
Another detail from the post, take with a grain of salt:

There's coming post time skip kanto with lilie and new player character, game starts on cinnabar with lilie arrival, she becomes hau/shauna from character later on her journey

Neiteio

The story was one of the best parts of Sun and Moon. The whole bit where
they go into the alternate dimension to rescue the possessed Lusamine
was like the most hype moment in the series since Gold vs. Red.

Continuing that focus here would be great. But just... ease off on the tutorials. The first few hours had a bit too much railroading from one handhold-y tutorial to another.

MegaMelon

I wonder if they'll announce a spin-off alongside a new mainline game. I'd kill for a new Pokemon Ranger although I don't see it happening.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I really liked the focus on the storyline, the issue was more on how it interrupted the gameplay segments often, specially early through, and how little exploration there was in the game.

I am excited though.
While I don't expect them to do it this game, I think in the future there's potential for adding voice acting and delivering some of that as radio chatter that lets you still walk around while it's going on.

When it's only text, a lot of that ends up having to halt the progression of the game so you can press the advance text button.

sinonobu

Banned
Another detail from the post, take with a grain of salt:

There's coming post time skip kanto with lilie and new player character, game starts on cinnabar with lilie arrival, she becomes hau/shauna from character later on her journey

Where are these info from

The leak sounds credible. I believe it.

Stars being Switch exclusive isn't a move that Game Freak would do. Another interesting note of the leak is that "Pokemon Stars" is just a codename... I wonder if the final name will be the same.

Shame thought that we won't get the chance to go to Kanto since we got so many references on Sun&Moon.

I hope that if it is a sequel, we get a reformed or still recuperating Lusamine. I also hope we see her reunite with Mohn. Sorry Lusamine waifu lovers she needs her happy ending.

ggx2ac

It will be a 3DS game. We have new hardware coming.

The New 2DS?

It's possible for it be on both Switch and 3DS but definitely not 3DS exclusive.

They are only forecasting 6 million units this FY because they are releasing a new revision: New 2DS to bolster sales 3DS sales.

Blobbers

I am a reasonable man. If it's just an uprezzed port, okay, it's still a huge jump just in terms of screen resolution. If it's a Switch/3DS cross gen port, alright, I'll live.
But if it should be a 3DS only game? That I do not forgive.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
The New 2DS?

It's possible for it be on both Switch and 3DS but definitely not 3DS exclusive.

They are only forecasting 6 million units this FY because they are releasing a new revision: New 2DS to bolster sales 3DS sales.

I dunno, Pokemon Black 2 & White 2 launched on the DS when the 3DS was the new kid in town, so anything is possible at this point.

Fandangox

While I don't expect them to do it this game, I think in the future there's potential for adding voice acting and delivering some of that as radio chatter that lets you still walk around while it's going on.

That would probably help, and as for story cutscenes the scene with Hau and the playable character at the ship really screamed at "we really should have some voice acting in here"

This is something that is more likely to be a thing for a ground-up new game.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
I am a reasonable man. If it's just an uprezzed port, okay, it's still a huge jump just in terms of screen resolution. If it's a Switch/3DS cross gen port, alright, I'll live.
But if it should be a 3DS only game? That I do not forgive.

Yeah, I'd be pissed.
I expect that cross-gen will be the scenario

I wish they weren't doing this tomorrow.

Whenever they reveal everything before E3, they get a backlash for having a boring E3 presentation.

I want to agree with you, but for some reason I want to believe third parties have surprises for us that Nintendo made them hold off until next week. Nintendo gets their first party stuff out of the way prior, then E3 Spotlight will be all about third parties. Payday 2 was a nice surprise in the last direct.

Neiteio

It'll be interesting to see whether this is cross-gen or Switch-only. Both could work to TPC's advantage. Cross-gen would be "safer" but still achieve some degree of moving Pokemon fans over to Switch. Switch-only would sell less but might be better long-term, since it'll get more Pokemon fans aboard the Switch train more quickly for Gen 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom