• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sorry, Drive Club is the worst looking Sony exclusive.

I hate to get involved this nonsense 'VS' battle that some people love, but seriously, people saying this are either on drugs or just haven't seen this yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu_1rysu5_Q&feature=youtu.be - fast forward to 1:40 for the gameplay

I've got to say, that video should be embarrassing to Evolution. It's running at twice the framerate on weaker hardware, and it looks better.

I've always felt Evolution was an underachieving studio, and the Motorstorm games were never as great as I'd hoped they'd be.

This thread needs more #DriveClub love.

Also, someone please post that GIF from last weeks trailer, the one through the woods.

izZWw9j6v7tvJ.gif

ibl4Deq7P7qSSU.gif

ibaXrB2n1WZCL5.gif

ahux0o.gif

aw1lab.gif

ibrWwxVIIJtsaW.gif

Espada

They overpromised and underdelivered. Those initial shots and videos were complete BS, and fielding a game that's only 35% complete was not a smart move. The game off away looking poorly at the most important gaming event of the year.

mr2xxx

Banned
While I'm not going to say that GT6 looks better than these games, but I would say that the leap isn't as much as I would hope for, defintaly not 8x or even 4x better looking. The cars look a little better but the environments are the biggest benefactor so far. Since these are launch games it is kinda expected they look more like PS3.5/Xbox 3.5.

lockload

Turn 10 is a developer with years of experience making racing games. It's a bit unfair to compare the games imho. I really like the lighting in Driveclub but I am not sold on the concept at all.

Its totally fair they are going head to head as launch titles

This game will be fine, maybe they showed it too early, but i remember the transformation motor storm 1 went through. It was pretty substantial.

Yep... All 3 MS were 1st shown during Alpha stages and the finished results were substantial... Evo luvs to shock & awe the crowd...

I'm so confused. Why are people all of a sudden shitting on this game? The meltdown that happened over the 'tree tracking shot jif' pulled from the developer conversation video is in complete contrast to this thread.

Also, the screenshots that have been released look incredible!!! Do these videos really look nothing like all of the other media released of the game? Im on my phone right now i cant watch them.

Knoxcore

Very disappointed so far. The gameplay coming out of E3 definitely doesn't look as good as the trailers nor does it look better than Forza.

Lingitiz

I'm so confused. Why are people all of a sudden shitting on this game? The meltdown that happened over the 'tree tracking shot jif' pulled from the developer conversation video is in complete contrast to this thread.

Also, the screenshots that have been released look incredible!!! Do these videos really look nothing like all of the other media released of the game? Im on my phone right now i cant watch them.

It just looks a little rough graphically and with some animations. Evo is probably all hands on deck trying to get this thing out for launch. Its likely why Sony hasn't shown a direct feed demo yet.

RayMaker

Banned
lol, and everybody was like ''Driveclub looks so much better then forza''

less then a week ago, oh how the tables have turned.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Bad framerate, pop in everywhere, foliage looks like ass, very unpolished looking.

Folks said the same about Halo the E3 before the original Xbox launched and it turned around in time for release. The same can, and will, happen here.

Mileena

Banned
Bad framerate, pop in everywhere, foliage looks like ass, very unpolished looking.
Sounds like stuff they can fix before launch I assume. If this is not 60fps at launch, BUST! But at least Sony has the decency to give it away for free* with PS+

Weakest launch title by a mile, but it´s only 35% of development and the studio is good at doing this. It´s a normal game to be a launch title, KZ SF and Infamous look way too good to be launch titles, got to give them kudos to them.

RayMaker

Banned
Sounds like stuff they can fix before launch I assume. If this is not 60fps at launch, BUST! But at least Sony has the decency to give it away for free* with PS+

Is it free though, because with P+ games when you subscription runs out you can no longer play those games?

Elios83

Weakest launch title by a mile, but it´s only 35% of development and the studio is good at doing this. It´s a normal game to be a launch title, KZ SF and Infamous look way too good to be launch titles, got to give them kudos to them.

So far for first party Killzone and Infamous totally deliver, Knack not so much. Drive Club needs further judgement, anyway it will be free for many people :D

Hana-Bi

35% with just five months till launch is really low.

I think devs aim to be at "100" % maybe two months before the release of the game. You have to bug-fix the hell out of your game and polish it. And then it should be "Gold" one month before the release...

Sure they can fix those things and maybe it was a very old build and they are now at 50+% but it won't be that easy.

aronmayo2

Banned
I think that title has to go to Knack, personally.

Drive Club is looking rough around the edges but it does have some impressive lighting and locales.

Still, the difference between these two games and the graphics Killzone: SF is putting out is night-and-day.

People are complaining about a "jagfest" on Killzone too. Gamespot definitely mentioned this in live coverage. They said it did not look like the conference footage and actually was a bit of a mess. Don't shoot the messenger. Doesn't bode well for next-gen in general if these games don't look great....guess there is still some dev time left; but only around 3 months realistically, with crunch and bug testing taking up the last month or so, which isn't long.

I'm not sure what's more sad, that there's people in this thread bashing on a game that's only 35% complete or that the knowledge that games can be(and sometimes should be)delayed if they aren't finished on time seems to be completely absent from the conversation.

Odrion

Banned
So wait, is the E3 build only a 35% complete build or is the game really only 35% complete with six months ahead of it?

Doesn't make sense for this to be that quickly slapped together of a product. Evolution's last game was a PSN RC racer, you'd think they've been given the same resources as Guerilla to work on a launch title.

VanWinkle

lol, and everybody was like ''Driveclub looks so much better then forza''

less then a week ago, oh how the tables have turned.

Based on the info we had, it did look better than Forza. Were people supposed to know that the gameplay at E3 would be underwhelming?

Odrion

Banned
People are complaining about a "jagfest" on Killzone too. Gamespot definitely mentioned this in live coverage. They said it did not look like the conference footage and actually was a bit of a mess. Don't shoot the messenger. Doesn't bode well for next-gen in general if these games don't look great....guess there is still some dev time left; but only around 3 months realistically, with crunch and bug testing taking up the last month or so, which isn't long.
Really? That's odd. 1080p games even without AA are anything but a jagfest on a TV.

Where are these comments?

edit: your post history is really suspicious

Shit... What have Evolution been doing for this to be only 35% completed? This should be around 70% right now.

The demo on display is 35% complete, doesn't mean the actual game is. It takes a lot of time to put together a demo, a lot of time I'm guessing most launch developers don't have right now

Really? Interesting...

Jeff has been known to not like GT though.

I've heard that more than once.

But GT6 is still in early stages as well. Even though they've got more foundation to work with than DriveClub, they've still got to put a new rendering engine in place.

Odrion

Banned
The demo on display is 35% complete, doesn't mean the actual game is. It takes a lot of time to put together a demo, a lot of time I'm guessing most launch developers don't have right now
That is true, sometimes devs will use a build that early because it's the last time it's been stable enough for a 'vertical slice'. :p

I'm guessing the game will look exactly like the trailers, demos are a poor way to judge a final product.

Now as for improvements, I really hope they work on that steering wheel animation!

Loudninja

Thankfully time is something Evolution Studios have on their side. The game, at least according to the developers I was speaking to, is under constant refinement. Things that didn’t look quite right in the current build would either be sorted by the end of the week or had already been ironed out in the previous few days, or so I’m told. A game seeing continual tweaking, a game perpetually building on its already solid foundations.
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/06/12/hands-on-driveclub/

elfinke

I think Jeff Gerstmann said GT6 had a bad framerate?

He definitely did. Maybe on their live show last night? That's pretty unlike Polyphony. I don't recall if he meant bad relative to the 60fps games around the place elsewhere, or just plain old bad. S'pose the distinction doesn't matter.

Is Forza 5 even on the show floor? If not its a bit fallacious to make a comparison, from what I have seen F5 has just been a video going around

From what I've seen, can't say I am impressed. Drive Club unfortunately looks like a generic arcade racer. I think it will likely appeal to the masses, but it's just not my cup of tea. My eyes are focused on GT6.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Some high quality 1080p footage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBZsPfPp-_s

edit: some 3rd person view at the end

That lighting at the end is really great. Just the way it reflects into the cockpit...that's awesome.

Draw distance is great, but yeah I can't get a handle on the visual fidelity with all this off cam shots. It comes across as washed out with the black crush and darker areas.

If they can get it up to 60fps, it will blow Forza out of the water with it's actual working lighting engine and night/weather effects. They still have a ways to go though. Dunno if they can pull it off in time, but here's hoping.

Top Bottom