• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall retail screencaps (XB1) show 792p resolution? CBoaT ;_;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
He did pop in for a bit to try to clarify the shitty press release concerning the XBO headphone adaptor. Another clusterfuck of just misunderstanding on everyone's part.

Oh yeah? Hm, well that changes my thoughts on it a bit. But the mods are a good group and I'm sure they will make the decision that is best

harSon

Banned
Game definitely looks next gen in motion. Upscaler works like a dream and Xbone version preorders has made it abundantly clear that resolution matters not to said buyers.

I wouldn't say it looks next gen in motion, since I reserve such rhetoric for something that's truly graphically impressive, but it definitely looks like something that is no way in hell possible on the previous generation.

Having said that, "direct feeds" from a lot of console games never seem to match up with what I'm playing on my television. I'm not sure if it's because they look better in motion, or I'm not sitting 2 feet away from the screen, but it's definitely something that I've noticed over the last decade or so.

Given CBOAT's past track record, I think it's fair the ban is more lenient than normal.

That said, I really wonder what happened with this news he was fed. It's so bizarre how positive he was on this score. Very uncharacteristic.

As for Penello, he left of his own accord and he's not coming back by all accounts. Everyone knows him for what he is. Not sure what a ban would do
Penello still posts on GAF; he just pretends all that shit didn't happen.

I just think it's weird to see the double standard; any normal poster would have been nuked from orbit for half the shit Albert did.

Just find it funny that there's so many saying the game doesn't look good as if there hasn't been a ton of pictures of the game already.
A lot of people reserve judgment for final release versions since things can change. Respawn even gave people reason to hope that the resolution could still improve between the beta and release.

Even then, patches can still improve graphics post-release. Look at AC4 and COD for PS4. If you applied your logic to those games for PS4, then people judging those games' graphics based on release or prior would be very wrong.

And I find your statement funny, considering the opposite is usually used in defense of a game when people shit on it before release. "You're all criticizing the game when it's not even final yet. The devs still have time to work on it!" Not saying you're one of those people, but if both sides had their ways, no one could say anything about any game ever. Criticize before release and, "Your criticism is premature! Devs can still improve it!" Criticize after release and, "It's too late! Didn't you already see footage pre-release? Why are you just saying something now?!" It's really silly to complain about it. People will see footage at different times and choose to comment or not at different times.

Taking an otherwise exemplary track record into account...

720p = 72 hr ban seems fair.

Whew...

Is it bad that I seriously just exhaled in relief to this news?

CBOAT Lives on!

And personally, I'm glad you pointed out his exemplary record. Seemed like some revisionist history was going on here where CBOAT's accuracy was concerned.

Ricky 7

Damn I can't believe it looks this bad, I might as well get this on the 360 then if the difference isn't that big. At least then I can convince other people to buy it which is a positive since I don't know anyone else with a XBO. =(

Truespeed

Respawn should have listened to the sage engineering advice of CBoaT and dropped it back down to 720p for the increase in frame rate and reduction in tearing.

Woo-Fu

Banned
It's more like an example. cboat does not post enough and/or often for that being meaningful, really.

Considering the real value in GAF is from *reading* and not *posting* I would say that most bans aren't meaningful in the way you're talking about.

Beefy

Wow some of you are so stupid. Cboat specifically said it's NOT 792p, but 720p and this was after the beta. So don't say "oh he was only off by 72p". He's wrong, you're wrong, time to drop the banhammer.

Edit: Lmfao at "exemplary"

Neutralfanboy wasn't so neutral so got Neautralized.

Eoin

What was it that he said about the textures (in layman terms)?
And what did he say about the resolution?
The Alpha used low res textures. 25% the resolution of the Beta/final game. Before and again after the Beta came out, he claimed the alpha textures would be used in the shipping game. That was never going to happen. The 720p thing, was just him claiming the final res would be 720p, it wasn't, but that was a far more plausable guess.

Vashetti

Banned
Penello still posts on GAF; he just pretends all that shit didn't happen.

I just think it's weird to see the double standard; any normal poster would have been nuked from orbit for half the shit Albert did.

Exactly, and this is the reason why I keep mentioning it.

He is an official MS spokesperson and we KNOW that he lied to us, for months and months.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
It's more like an example. cboat does not post enough and/or often for that being meaningful, really.

His biggest "loss" isn't the ability to post, anyway, it's his credibility which went down to normal levels. As I said, I appreciate insiders and don't expect 100% hit rate, but it would be nice to get explanations after the fact on why somebody thought that his info was correct and why he thinks that it turned out to be incorrect. Otherwise, you are only left with the person's track record, and while it still is exceptional, it got some pretty big hits lately.

Why are the screenshots in the OP so shitty? If they are using those to analyze, I'd take my info from someplace else.
Image compression like this does make pixel counting harder, but it's not impossible. My counts of the images in the OP do support the Beyond3D analysis of 792p. This makes CBOAT wrong, but it also makes this comment from Respawn questionable:

Respawn said:
When asked what the native resolution of Titanfall Beta is/will be on the Xbox One, Abbie Heppe, Community Manager at Respawn confirmed the Titanfall Beta runs at native ’792p’ resolution, an increase from the previously rumoured 720p.

Abbie went on to say that the resolution will increase as the team edge closer towards a final build of Titanfall, and could potentially be in the region of 900p native resolution once complete.

Also, is it just me or do these Titanfall shots look like trilinear without AF?

Tsundere

Banned
I'm curious...

Would somebody who is purchasing Titanfall on Xbox One, keep their Xbox One offline when first playing the game? And then analysing it then? Perhaps the patch ups the resolution, but the actual game on disc is at 720p.

I'm curious...

Would somebody who is purchasing Titanfall on Xbox One, keep their Xbox One offline when first playing the game? And then analysing it then? Perhaps the patch ups the resolution, but the actual game on disc is at 720p.

Do we know the day one patch is out yet?

I'm curious...

I don't think you can even play anything with it offline. You'll get as far as the main menu before having to connect to a server.

sangreal

What did he lie about? Sorry out of the loop

Nothing... he stated some facts about xbone hardware which were true, and microsoft's belief that those details would mitigate Sony's performance advantage which was wrong. People just have some sort of derangement syndrome about his posts. They also claim he lied about the reasons for the tier 2 delay, but that is just based on... cboat

What about alpha textures and party chat? You've banned others for way longer for much less. You're going soft on CBoaT.

What about all the legit predictions he's made over the past 9 years? Even recent ones like DR3 exclusive, etc. Mods shouldn't be cherry picking and not looking at posters overall record. Those other posters probably don't have a track record even close to CBOAT

Tsundere

Banned
I don't think you can even play anything with it online. You'll get as far as the main menu before having to connect to a server.

Ah yea forgot about that requirement. Forget it then! I guess there's no way to really know what resolution the game ships at. :p

zeelman

Why are we banning him because it ended up being better then what he said? Its a bad thing for it to be a higher resolution then what was stated?

Amir0x

Banned
Nothing... he stated some facts about xbone hardware which were true, and microsoft's belief that those details would mitigate Sony's performance advantage which was wrong. People just have some sort of derangement syndrome about his posts.

This is the most comically inaccurate analysis of what happened I've seen yet. Not only did they lie or exaggerate on scores of actual verifiable facts about the hardware, but they lied or exaggerated as to how it would actually function in real world scenarios in comparison to PS4. It wasn't some innocent mistake where they truly believed the difference wouldn't be as large. Derangement syndrome indeed.

jaded_up_

Banned
Wow some of you are so stupid. Cboat specifically said it's NOT 792p, but 720p and this was after the beta. So don't say "oh he was only off by 72p". He's wrong, you're wrong, time to drop the banhammer.

Edit: Lmfao at "exemplary"

Neutralfanboy
Banned
(Today, 08:01 PM)

hahaha

Anyway, I'm actually surprised that the final resolution is 792p and not higher. What's the reasoning? Or is the Xbox One hardware that restrictive? I mean, the source engine was used specifically to get the higher frame rates and resolution.

Shin-Ra

Those look worse than my screens and more compressed.o_O

iba8qB66DAQH4f.png

Also a 1080p pic at 500kb...wut??? 1MB is needed for 1080p.
If you're planning to play the game windowboxed on a 1080p display, it'll look a lot better, yes. You'll just need to sit closer!

KORNdoggy

It really does look like a previous gen game. I wonder how the 360 version is going to stack up i. Regards to resolution and texture quality. Is it going to be a COD
ghosts situation where the 360 and xbone version weren't all that different?

Neutralfanboy
Banned
(Today, 08:01 PM)

hahaha

Anyway, I'm actually surprised that the final resolution is 792p and not higher. What's the reasoning? Or is the Xbox One hardware that restrictive? I mean, the source engine was used specifically to get the higher frame rates and resolution.

From reading the thread I suspect that the frame drops and screen tearing are holding it back.

I think this is fairer than a permaban. Other insiders have been wrong and not gotten the perma. We don't want to discourage leaks but we still want to encourage vetting information for accuracy and reliability. No matter what cboat or Respawn says though the game does not look great graphically.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Nothing... he stated some facts about xbone hardware which were true, and microsoft's belief that those details would mitigate Sony's performance advantage which was wrong. People just have some sort of derangement syndrome about his posts. They also claim he lied about the reasons for the tier 2 delay, but that is just based on... cboat

I really don't think you know what the situation was. If people want to talk FUD, look no further than Penello's posts in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom