• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall retail screencaps (XB1) show 792p resolution? CBoaT ;_;

Status
Not open for further replies.

kairu

Anyone know where I can get PC screen caps with low compression and maxed settings? didnt get a chance to play the beta and really want to see what this came can look like at its highest settings.

Prelude.

Its funny. In Titanfall for my Xbox one, i was too busy dodging bullets, parkouring, running around and killing other players to notice the graphics. Different priorities i guess.

I am sure MS knows who Cboat is or atleast has an idea.

I think you forgot your ™ and ®.

The rough idea was there; that the textures and resolution are terrible. This isn't an Xbone game that will be available on the 360; it looks like a 360 game that will happen to be available on the Xbone.

Nothing really to see here.

Wow. So many games this year on next-gen consoles seemingly mediocre at best in the graphics department (save KZ:SF). Oh well, we still have the rest of the year to go...

It's looking more and more like what John Carmack said earlier about next-gen games.. they'll just be higher res versions and better textures than current gen.

HTupolev

How could you even justify it?
Reduced shimmering, better representation of otherwise badly undersampled details. I guess.

It does seem kind of weird.

Do any tv's even support 792p?
Natively? Hell no.

Doesn't 720p scale to 1080p better, anyway?
Eh, maybe.

I'll need to try some different scaling types at different ratios sometime. I'm not sure that there's actually much basis in the claims that a simpler upscaling ratio implies better results.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
fucked for only 72p :(

pixlexic

Banned
One pet peeve of mine is people seem to think resolution is only one value. There is a height and a width, and both an be variable.

not all 1080p games are true standard. not all 720p games are true standard.

games have always used assorted values for resolution.

Reule

It's not very pretty but I'm sure it's a lot of fun to play. I may pick it up for 360 or PC whenever I can. Just looks like a good multiplayer game to mess about in.

That is why I told my friends to get on 360. I mean, who notices graphics.
Damn.

CoG

792p is just a goofball resolution. I'd like a pixel recount from Eurogamer. Not saying it would be 720p per boat just something at the right aspect ratio. It would be even funnier if they're doing some weird interlacing trick like KZ.

It's hard to tell astroturfers from dedicated fans, so it's hard to say whether their post history is damning or not. It's always funny that anyone who points out anything that could be seen as potentially negative or critical is "othered" as a "PS fanboy" (even when it couldn't be further from the truth).

I recall some people saying that NeoGAF has a larger ratio of "Sony fans", so it's maybe that assumption that makes certain Xbox One fans feel they need to be more vocal in response. (I find it hard to believe there'd be that many obvious astroturfers. Maybe I'm naive. I mean, Microsoft has bungled the PR side of things many times, but still.)

It's painful for the platform agnostics.

Microsoft has been caught astroturfing this forum and they've flooded reddit. They've also been caught trying to pay off youtubers. That's why juniors that sign up here and immediately start defending xbone become suspicious. I start reading their posts that sound like press releases and I'm like

tumblr_mkv7q8ordu1rk3xaeo1_400_large.gif

I really wish there were a list of people who mocked Nintendo systems/fans for their gameplay > graphics arguments over the years but are now making that same argument for Titanfall. Full disclosure: I am such a Nintendo fan, and embrace that way of thinking.

mjontrix

Wow. So many games this year on next-gen consoles seemingly mediocre at best in the graphics department (save KZ:SF). Oh well, we still have the rest of the year to go...

It's looking more and more like what John Carmack said earlier about next-gen games.. they'll just be higher res versions and better textures than current gen.

About killzone... You might want to sit down son...

(Multiplayer isn't 1080p)

But I'm certain that as games begin getting built only for next gen consoles (and game engines are updated to use more of each system) that we'll get closer to graphics nirvana.

Eoin

792p is just a goofball resolution. I'd like a pixel recount from Eurogamer. Not saying it would be 720p per boat just something at the right aspect ratio. It would be even funnier if they're doing some weird interlacing trick like KZ.
It is the right aspect ratio.
1408 x 792 is a 16:9 resolution.

HTupolev

Since your TV will be displaying the final upscaled 1080p image that doesn't come into play. Your TV isn't doing any scaling.
Of course it comes into play, because if the video standards and your TV natively supported 792p, you could have native video.

Obviously they don't, so you either have very mild downsampling or a big ugly upscale. Your TV isn't scaling, but the XB1 is.

Basketball

That is why I told my friends to get on 360. I mean, who notices graphics.

Tbh I still want to see how the game will run and look on a 360. Im sure the game will be fine.
Hell most of these cross gen games don't look that much better than the current gen.
I probably get the watchdogs/titanfall/and mgs Gz on 360 since i don't think their worth upgrading to a new console.

Eoin

Of course it comes into play, because if the video standards and your TV natively supported 792p, you could have native video.

Obviously they don't, so you either have very mild downsampling or a big ugly upscale. Your TV isn't scaling, but the XB1 is.
Well if your upscaling to 1080p, 792p will look better than 720p because the scaler has about 15%more pixels to work with. If your downsampling to 720p, it would be so mild I doubt you would see the difference, but in theory it should help iq.

Synth

fucked for only 62p :(

It's got nothing to do with how close/far the prediction was. Respawn said it was not 720, cboat said that was BS. It's a binary situation. Either right or wrong. and it turned out to be wrong (along with the textures and party chat).

Its funny. In Titanfall for my Xbox one, i was too busy dodging bullets, parkouring, running around and killing other players to notice the graphics. Different priorities i guess.

Would you say you had to stop after a couple rounds because your heart couldn't take it any more?

Shin-Ra

Might as well revert to Halo 2 production values then. Cheaper to make, clearer to identify threats and 1080p60 4xMSAA+ assured for those that do notice or care about image quality.

Eoin

Might as well revert to Halo 2 production values then. Cheaper to make, clearer to identify threats and 1080p60 4xMSAA+ assured for those that do notice or care about image quality.
Id be cool with that :) I really hope the Anniversary version is real.

Mechazawa

That would be fucking glorious.

Some proper IQ out of consoles for shooters.

The same can be said about your post.
You guys are making it sound like it's a slap to the face of Microsoft to buy Titanfall on the 360. Like it's such an insult, a burn, etc.

Honestly, I'm not sure why some of you guys are so hostile about the game and it's aesthetic. "This guy really liked Titanfall's game play, and doesn't care about the appearance of the game? Gotta bring up how it looks like a 360 game! That'll show him and his optimism!"

Zornack

You guys are making it sound like it's a slap to the face of Microsoft to buy Titanfall on the 360. Like it's such an insult, a burn, etc.

Honestly, I'm not sure why some of you guys are so hostile about the game and it's aesthetic. "This guy really liked Titanfall's game play, and doesn't care about the appearance of the game? Gotta bring up how it looks like a 360 game! That'll show him and his optimism!"

Where are you getting that? We're mocking the ridiculous "I was having so much fun I didn't even notice the graphics!" statement by pointing out he might as well forgo getting an XB1 and pick up the 360 version instead. It has nothing to do with trying to undermine Microsoft, as if they somehow lose money on 360 versions sold.

Not caring about the graphics and enjoying the gameplay is a valid position to take but saying you were just having so much fun you didn't even notice the graphics quality is a hilarious thing to say.

stryke

It was a jocular straw man regarding the importance of graphical fidelity. It had little to do with sticking it to microsoft.

But if you're so sensitive, go buy a dog.

fucked for only 72p :(

Why do people keep saying this? He also doubled down the the textures and appears to be wrong on the chat as well. I appreciate CBOAT's info, but he was triple wrong on Titanfall. I never wanted to see him banned, but am not going to just pretend there wasn't more to this than just being wrong about the resolution either.

jaded_up_

Banned

Yet, here you are, in a thread about graphics. I guess you weren't as busy as you thought or that your priorities are as different as you think they are.

taylor-swift-disbelief-face-gif.gif

Why so serious? So sensitive you are. Go release some stress... It sounds like you need to.

newsguy

This thread is fucking hilarious. The graphics are fine. I played the beta, they're not 360 graphics. Sure, they arent on par with the best looking games on the new consoles, but they also aren't horrible. Like the COD games, what matters here os a smooth framerate and lag free experience. The rest is icing on the cake, and lile I said, this game is not nearly ad ugly as people are making it out to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom