• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall retail screencaps (XB1) show 792p resolution? CBoaT ;_;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banned
Whats the point in an 'industry insider' who spreads incorrect information which can be easily called out upon by members who already played the beta?

72 hour ban is pointless, It's just encouraging a circus.

Whats the point in an 'industry insider' who spreads incorrect information which can be easily called out upon by members who already played the beta?

Have you seen his track record? Clearly not.

Mohonky

Game could be 4k and it would still look like shit going by those screens. Its not even impressive by Xbox360 standards.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yeah I have, Not impressed.

He got the entire XO dash is a buggy crashing mess over the usage of snap feature massively wrong as well.

Here come the paranoia brigade.
He was wrong about it being a big deal but the OS was a mess.

thuway

What about an Industry Expert who goes on a PR rampage to cowardly lie and obfuscate publicly? (Pennello)

Ashes

Banned

Kick a man when he [or she] is down. That's what I always say.

I think a simple zoom on a scaled image without any interpolation reveals the issue.

Here is the control panel gear icon used on NeoGaf. Both were upscaled to 1080p from 720p and 792p respectively without interpolation and then further zoomed in to demonstrate the difference. The 1080p gear is completely clean and artifact free, of course.

Notice how uneven those raw pixels appear in the 792p gear. They vary in size and thickness all around the gear producing a very uneven image.

This is also why hitting native panel resolutions is so important.

JIB.png

One on the far left looks most fun. I can't even look at the one on the right because I'm not a graphics dweeb.

geordiemp

He got the entire XO dash is a buggy crashing mess over the usage of snap feature massively wrong as well.

Depends on your viewpoint - 60 Hz snap gaming does not work in Europe with 50 Hz PAL, I don't think It will ever work properly.

It only works in USA properly.

What was your point again ?

Banned
I think the whole Columbo mode that happens on Gaf when a group of members circle on another when he/she doesn't fit within their agenda is more than a little snide and actually reflects quite poorly on the site,

It seems if you post with a bit of sarcasm or make light of something on here you personally find disappointing you get hunted by a pack mentality. A little dry?

Depends on your viewpoint - 60 Hz snap gaming does not work in Europe with 50 Hz PAL, I don't think It will ever work properly.

It only works in USA properly.

That was something he wouldn't even of been aware as an issue though to be fair. His original point was that simply initialising snap when you had a function running in the bg would crash the system or make it unstable.. which was never the case.

What did the fix for 50hz via HDMI fix in the March update? Does it still not work?

On the other point, He may have been posting since 2004 but an insider is only as good as their recent leaks. In any other line of work you don't get a stay of execution if what you spread is false.

slapnuts

I don't think you get it dude, this is not some ordinary guy shooting out rubbish...he's come here for many years sharing great info that gave people many hours of good reading and excitement which definitely made things interesting for a lot of us forum readers and he did it out of his own free-will not expecting any sort of kickback in return besides putting his ass on the line....So in my book people like this deserve a little slack, Karma dude, heard of it?

I don't know man but where i grew up, people that share things freely with me usually shows good character in the person.

I think the whole Columbo mode that happens on Gaf when a group of members circle on another when he/she doesn't fit within their agenda is more than a little snide and actually reflects quite poorly on the site,

It seems if you post with a bit of sarcasm or make light of something on here you personally find disappointing you get hunted by a pack mentality. A little dry?

Yeah, I'm absolutely disgusted at the lack of diversity in GAF comments...

Mechazawa

Tell us how you really feel.

Cboat fucked up. His credibility has taken a not insignificant hit to it and it's up to him start building that back up, or keep riding the garbage train. His presence isn't harming you, this "circus" he generates with his leaks are something you're free to stay out discussions of(you can generally spot them a mile away) and if it distresses you so much, maybe take a break for a year from Gaf. This the early stages of a new gen, circuses are practically all there is to talk about until games actually come out.

The final resolution is so strange, it almost feels like Respawn bumped it to 792p just to prove CBOAT and others wrong. I can't believe it serves any positive purpose to the overall performance and look.

Side Question, are the environmental textures improved upon over the alpha? I don't think I saw an in depth look at that.

p3tran

Banned
I have to say, that if I wasnt set on forza5, I would not have bought an xbone day1 -or even soon I guess- after reading some of cboats posts back then.

eventhough for many years I thought of his leaks/"leaks" to be positive for cboats target, the xbox, lately I have the feeling that his leaks are not so for positive on xbox. this I dont like!
and for his latest fuckups - not cool to say "hey, the number one game you are waiting for is going to be severely downgraded", cause that what he basically said.

and you definitely did not do it for good reason cboat my friend. even if you have sources that you trust, you do have a pair of fucking eyes, dont you?

anyway, it was a good lesson learned for me, and hopefully for many others too.

freefornow

Gold Member
72hr ban for 720p?
So does that mean the alpha textures was correct? I thought that was the info that was leading to the ban. Mods are confusing me.

72hr ban for 720p?
So does that mean the alpha textures was correct? I thought that was the info that was leading to the ban. Mods are confusing me.

I have tried searching and to my surprise no one except Dual Shockers has compared the alpha and final textures. Even Dual shockers just looked at the gun against totally different backgrounds.

Strange considering how bold that claim was that it wasn't investigated further.

Facism

I have to say, that if I wasnt set on forza5, I would not have bought an xbone day1 -or even soon I guess- after reading some of cboats posts back then.

eventhough for many years I thought of his leaks/"leaks" to be positive for cboats target, the xbox, lately I have the feeling that his leaks are not so for positive on xbox. this I dont like!
and for his latest fuckups - not cool to say "hey, the number one game you are waiting for is going to be severely downgraded", cause that what he basically said.

and you definitely did not do it for good reason cboat my friend. even if you have sources that you trust, you do have a pair of fucking eyes, dont you?

No need to act like a coward and attack the poster whilst he's banned and unable to defend himself. Be a better person than that.

If there's a lesson to be learnt, it's how to treat people, even if they occasionally make mistakes or say things that hurt your relationship with a games machine.

Jeez, that does not look very pretty. Wish they had gone with a more stylized/less resource intensive aesthetic so it wouldn't be so blurry.

Frankly I don't really see the point of the weird resolution. Edit: I was about to ask if it would have been better to go with 720p because it would have been native?

This is rich coming from the guy who spent last year shitting in every Driveclub thread.

I think a simple zoom on a scaled image without any interpolation reveals the issue.

Here is the control panel gear icon used on NeoGaf. Both were upscaled to 1080p from 720p and 792p respectively without interpolation and then further zoomed in to demonstrate the difference. The 1080p gear is completely clean and artifact free, of course.

Notice how uneven those raw pixels appear in the 792p gear. They vary in size and thickness all around the gear producing a very uneven image.

JIB.png
This is exactly what I was afraid of. 720p does scale better.

I still don't get how this game can't run @ 1080p on x1. Hell, my 2011 laptop with a shit dedicated gpu can run it @ native res (900p screen) @60fps with most things on high. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Hoo-doo

Banned

JIB.png

This is a great post and example. Well done. Seems like 792p really scales poorly.

Must be a resolution picked just so they could say it's not a "720p game".
Too bad that trying to avoid the 720p stigma leaves us with a worse final product.

BigDug13

I just don't understand why 792p was chosen. I mean at least with 720p it would be pixel matched for people who have 720p TV's. 792p doesn't seem to be good for anyone's TV.

And seeing that the blurriness is actually WORSE with 792p because the math doesn't allow for an even distribution of pixels, and I'm really blown away that the decision was made for 792p. Do these companies have nobody working there that are display technology experts?

RedAssedApe

Banned
Maybe banking on the whole...consumers can't tell the difference line people have been trying to sell. Or something to differentiate with 360 if that's 720

I just don't understand why 792p was chosen. I mean at least with 720p it would be pixel matched for people who have 720p TV's. 792p doesn't seem to be good for anyone's TV.

And seeing that the blurriness is actually WORSE with 792p because the math doesn't allow for an even distribution of pixels, and I'm really blown away that the decision was made for 792p. Do these companies have nobody working there that are display technology experts?
Marketting, for most people more is always better I guess.

demolitio

I guess it's one way of making sure their "it's above 720p" comments aren't incorrect. I would hope no one would be that stubborn to choose such a weird resolution just to make sure that statement was correct...lol

Definitely peculiar. If they patch it out after launch, then we definitely know it was them trolling people. :p

I still don't get how this game can't run @ 1080p on x1. Hell, my 2011 laptop with a shit dedicated gpu can run it @ native res (900p screen) @60fps with most things on high. It just doesn't make sense to me.

My guess is that developers are still getting to grips with the Xbone hardware and the ESRAM specifically.

slapnuts

Maybe the engine just does not like the newer architecture? Im not sure but i believe a game like this would and should run at 1080p on the consoles if the engine was developed ground up for the consoles newer architecture which i mean by the gpgpu,etc sorta like how COD Ghosts runs like crap on these consoles even though its a very old engine but its just a guess on my part.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
There's no way of knowing without Respawn chiming in, but public Betas are usually spun off from the main build a few months ahead of the beta's release.

As for how long optimizations take, that is so specific to what is causing the performance problems that your not going to get an answer. Could be a day, could be six months. Could be an easy fix, could be a mammoth amount of engineering.

That's what I was getting at.

big_z

72hr ban for 720p?

he was 0/3 on this one and caused a shit storm. imo cboat should have gotten a longer ban. mods will ban you for 6-8 weeks for minor infractions but i guess gaf has its own version of celebrity treatment.

with the improved xbox sdk update only being available recently and the games release date being announced last October I would imagine they just didn't have time to refine the performance like they could have. considering this is an EA game just be happy its not another BF4.

So if anyone else was wrong about the resolution would he/she have gotten a 72hr ban as well? Just a thought..

Edit: still picking this game up on launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom