• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: NX to use carts. Analysts have said an announcement could be prior to TGS

When will Nintendo unveil the NX?

Results are only viewable after voting.
I know this has been rumored and heavily discussed for a long time, but can someone brief me the pros/cons going cartridge over disc?

Is it mainly cheaper to produce, with same or larger storage sizes?

Carts aren't cheaper to produce, but they make a lot more sense than discs for a device that can be taken with you. They're smaller and more durable. Also, less moving parts in the hardware, since there's obviously no need for a disc drive.

dtm808

I know this has been rumored and heavily discussed for a long time, but can someone brief me the pros/cons going cartridge over disc?

To put it short, it used to be:

Discs : More space for cheaper price
Carts : Much less space for much higher price

It is now getting to the point where :

Carts : Can get as much space as a disc for a little bit higher price.

afaik :
Carts are much faster to read (little to no loading times)
Carts are more resistant to damage
Carts can store extra data (saves, maybe small patches)

I am not an expert on mass production prices for different sizes of flash memory compared to discs but this is the general idea i have gotten from reading educated posts.

MisterHero

To put it short, it used to be:

Discs : More space for cheaper price
Carts : Much less space for much higher price

It is now getting to the point where :

Carts : Can get as much space as a disc for a little bit higher price.

afaik :
Carts are much faster to read (little to no loading times)
Carts are more resistant to damage
Carts can store extra data (saves, maybe small patches)

I am not an expert on mass production prices for different sizes of flash memory compared to discs but this is the general idea i have gotten from reading educated posts.
Incredibly irrelevant now, but carts had hardware upgrades sometimes, like saving or the Super FX games

Despite said irrelevance, I'd really like to know if they're truly carts or cards

MacTag

Banned

Advantages for mask ROM
-physical size
-durability/longevity
-capacity
-access time
-heat
-on board storage/saving
-drive cost

Advantages for optical disc ROM
-media cost
-lead time

Those are the traditional advantages for each although in general the advantages for discs have lessened while carts have maintained or improved. Even a decade ago discs would've had the capacity advantage for example.

Just think the NX direct could already be recorded, and its just a matter of weeks, if not days. Ahhhhhh

Was kinda hoping they'd do some live presentation, but yeah I'm guessing it'll be a Direct. I was fine with no stage presentation at E3, but with this I'd like them to try and make a bigger splash than what would be made through a Direct. Not that it'd be completely ineffective or anything, but many are looking to this at being a big turning point after Wii U.

Shiggy

We should have a thread for people to guess the name of the next nintendo console. There could be humorous entries, serious entries... a prize for the first post in the thread with a name that actually ends up being right.

Wii Wii
Wii All
Wii Box Won
Wii Ess Four
Super Hyper 3rd Party Excludinator
W64 - Cartridges FTW
The non-metroid machine

There could be some good ones!

Nintendo SS (single screen)

Any objections?

-media cost
-lead time
-warm feeling in your hands from the spinning disc in the drive

Fixed.

neerg

Advantages for mask ROM
-physical size
-durability/longevity
-capacity
-access time
-heat
-on board storage/saving
-drive cost

-media cost
-lead time

Those are the traditional advantages for each although in general the advantages for discs have lessened while carts have maintained or improved. Even a decade ago discs would've had the capacity advantage for example.

Don't forget the advantages of longer battery life for a card/cart over a disc. Pretty important for a portable.

Was kinda hoping they'd do some live presentation, but yeah I'm guessing it'll be a Direct. I was fine with no stage presentation at E3, but with this I'd like them to try and make a bigger splash than what would be made through a Direct. Not that it'd be completely ineffective or anything, but many are looking to this at being a big turning point after Wii U.

Doing a direct to announce the Wii U successor is a very Nintendo thing to do.

v1oz

I just don't see how NX will be a replacement for the Wii U. How will they port over Wii U games that use up the entire capacity of the disc.

Neoxon

I just don't see how NX will be a replacement for the Wii U. How will they port over Wii U games that use up the entire capacity of the disc.
Most Wii U games were either under or at 25GB max. And even then, as mentioned above me, 32GB is the recommended size, not the maximum (that'll likely be 64GB or so).

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Most Wii U games were either under or at 25GB max. And even then, as mentioned above me, 32GB is the recommended size, not the maximum (that'll likely be 64GB or so).
'Please insert cart 2'

Gaspard

Nintendo SS (single screen)

Any objections?

S.S. Nintendo?

Top1_Large.png

I agree, doing a live presentation would cause a way bigger impact than a direct and also messaging "Nintendo is back, beware!" After Wii U they need positive PR

ChaosXVI

At this point I'm 100% sure Super Metal Dave doesn't care what the NX is, he just wants Emily to be proven wrong.

https://twitter.com/SMetaldave64/status/772179197070446592

Jesus tap-dancing Christ, what the hell happened to SMD that would make him seriously think that other person wasn't some fanboy/troll? There's no universe where someone who actually would be in a position to know the details of the NX would actually go all "You were all so wrong LOLZ NX will make teh internet obsoletez!!!!11!1"

Speely

Banned
What do you mean?
He's reporting a comment made on Emily's article.
Are you implying he wrote that comment?

I think they mean that SMD posting some random comment made by someone else that disagrees with Emily is somehow an indictment of her credibility. Edit: in SMD's mind, that is.

I agree, doing a live presentation would cause a way bigger impact than a direct and also messaging "Nintendo is back, beware!" After Wii U they need positive PR

They killed Wii U before launch with a live presentation. A direct can be professional orchestrated. Without those mistakes.

It doesn´t really matter to me, i want to see this thing, now...

Neoxon

Jesus tap-dancing Christ, what the hell happened to SMD that would make him seriously think that other person wasn't some fanboy/troll? There's no universe where someone who actually would be in a position to know the details of the NX would actually go all "You were all so wrong LOLZ NX will make teh internet obsoletez!!!!11!1"
Losing your inside source & the NX not turning out to be what you expected does do that to a person. Sometimes you just gotta roll with the punches.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Incredibly irrelevant now, but carts had hardware upgrades sometimes, like saving or the Super FX games

Despite said irrelevance, I'd really like to know if they're truly carts or cards

The bus you'd have to put in to add meaningful performance/memory improvements via carts would exceed anything that makes fiscal sense to Nintendo. I assume they're going to be "cards" in terms of technology. "Cartridge" is really just form factor.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
DS and PSP are the perfect example of that. But now even a "Blu" UMD would only have about the capacity of a regular DVD.
I don't remember any of my UMDs having the capacity of a regular DVD.

Hilarion

The Wii U's discs were 25 GB.

The largest game on the Wii U, XC:X is 23 GB.

A 32 GB cart could have XC:X on it and still have a third of its space empty.

schaft0620

The Wii U's discs were 25 GB.

The largest game on the Wii U, XC:X is 23 GB.

A 32 GB cart could have XC:X on it and still have a third of its space empty.

But those are last gen Wii U games, your not getting the Witcher or Fallout on a 32gb SD card. I doubt Madden 17 on the PS4 fits on that.

Peru

lol...some people see the need to make their mark on the long roads of the internet, one way or another

But those are last gen Wii U games, your not getting the Witcher or Fallout on a 32gb SD card. I doubt Madden 17 on the PS4 fits on that.
Madden 17 on PS4 requires 22.5GB hard drive space for the digital download. Witcher 3 is a 35GB download. Fallout 4 is 28GB. 32GB per cart is fine (and don't forget, in a worst-case scenario, you can use two carts, especially if the NX has decent install space onboard).

Top Bottom