• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: NX to use carts. Analysts have said an announcement could be prior to TGS

When will Nintendo unveil the NX?

Results are only viewable after voting.

SuperSah

Banned
oh?

CrdU4VJVMAE7bUM.jpg

Oh oh?

Fan wank?

Fan wank?

Most likely. But there may be some core of truth to the idea that everything people have been saying about the system, is entirely wrong.

Nintendo mentioned before that they kept their cards close to their chest due to copy concerns. So I don't think it's far fetched to think it could be copied in some form by Sony or MS on their current consoles. I mean if it were just a handheld with a dock and all that, they'd have little to fear from them right? If that's the case, than waiting until Neo has been set in stone, so they can't attach whatever Nintendo's doing as a standard on it, makes some sense perhaps?

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
oh?

CrdU4VJVMAE7bUM.jpg

Oh oh?

I'm confused how everything "went to plan" when a few sentences before they said that the date was changed because of Sony's event announcement. And, according to this, Nintendo changed the event because of Sony, despite this person saying that Neo and Scorpio are going to be left to "the history books" because of how revolutionary NX is. You can give it logical consistency if the "went to plan" comment is about deceiving major news outlets, but why is a random, anonymous comment wth no source, credibility, or reputation on the line in this thread? What reason do we even have t

The NX reveal will be October 2nd. It will be a day we all remember. Nintendo doesn't care about the holiday rush because they know that all anyone's going to want to do after seeing NX is save their money and put in their pre-orders. Even without a release, NX is going to dominate 2016's conversation. Everyone is being misled because Nintendo didn't want anyone to copy. They've tasked some of their employees with giving out purposefully incorrect information, pretending to be leaks. Hardware was mocked up for photos. This is the most elaborate protection scheme Nintendo has ever gone through, and it's all because NX is going to be special. Seriously special. Its reveal will be a moment we remember, like E3 2004 Twilight Princess but better. You guys aren't ready. This is the future.

What, oh, sorry, sometimes I just say things. They come out of nowhere. Don't mind me.

notaskwid

The NX reveal will be October 2nd. It will be a day we all remember. Nintendo doesn't care about the holiday rush because they know that all anyone's going to want to do after seeing NX is save their money and put in their pre-orders. Even without a release, NX is going to dominate 2016's conversation. Everyone is being misled because Nintendo didn't want anyone to copy. They've tasked some of their employees with giving out purposefully incorrect information, pretending to be leaks. Hardware was mocked up for photos. This is the most elaborate protection scheme Nintendo has ever gone through, and it's all because NX is going to be special. Seriously special. Its reveal will be a moment we remember, like E3 2004 Twilight Princess but better. You guys aren't ready. This is the future.

Sounds legit.

Lmao where did you guys find this fanboy garbage

I am expecting an NX annoncement before the end of the year.... Because thats what they said they would do

My expectations are low otherwise and i hope to be proven wrong

At the very least they should have the most powerful portable on the market since Sony doesnt seem intent on updating the Vita

Nintendo doesn't time anything to coincide with TGS. They haven't attended in years, and they always hold their own Directs or events at other times. Besides, a majority of their business is overseas, and TGS is a very Japan-centric show. They're more likely to announce it in the United States using NoA if it's not a worldwide Direct or Direct livestream.

Eiolon

I wonder if Nintendo will be an ass to developers and dictate what size cartridge it has to use for its games like back in the old school days.

One point that we are missing is that Iwata was pretty clear that with NX and mobile, Nintendo said they would be moving to an account based service instead of a system based one. Iwata also mentioned wanting to have a similar hardware and game development as iOS and Android. These would suggest to me that to me there will be more than one gaming device. I'm guessing that they will first release the handheld with the TV out dock. Then release a console later that is able to wirelessly connect and support Wii U gamepad like functionally with up to 2 NX handhelds. The console would be more powerful than the handheld but have similar architecture to allow for easy development and be able to play any NX title. The console can also digitally download any NX, eshop, or VC title and it is saved to your account. Down the road they can introduce other form factors of handhelds, redesigned/more powerful re-releases of the tablet and redesigns and upgrades of the console. With NX you can have access to and play any title released on it and you don't lose all of your games when you want to have a newer system.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I agree, why would Nintendo gimp their hardware to only use 32gb carts. Its likely just a recommendation based on cart cost.

I don't think most people were saying they would gimp their hardware, it's just a response to anyone claiming that 64 GB game cards could come at an acceptable price to Nintendo or other publishers in 2017. Not a chance year 1.

LewieP

Is the "before TGS" thing based on any actual evidence at all or should I just not expect anything

It would seem like a poor strategic choice to let the entire Japanese games industry announce their upcoming lineups without being able to mention NX.

It would also seem like a poor strategic choice to let the entire Japanese games industry announce their upcoming NX lineups before Nintendo have at least talked about their launch lineup beyond Zelda.

Before TGS would make a lot of sense, but Nintendo gonna Nintendo.

suaveric

Is the "before TGS" thing based on any actual evidence at all or should I just not expect anything

It's based more on speculation. Nintendo did reveal the Wii Remote on the eve of TGS in 2005. So it's plausible for sure, but TGS is quickly approaching and no one has heard about members of the press getting invites to any events for next week, so it's looking less and less likely.

It would seem like a poor strategic choice to let the entire Japanese games industry announce their upcoming lineups without being able to mention NX.

It would also seem like a poor strategic choice to let the entire Japanese games industry announce their upcoming NX lineups before Nintendo have at least talked about their launch lineup beyond Zelda.

Before TGS would make a lot of sense, but Nintendo gonna Nintendo.
Making sense and Nintendo so close together is an oxymoron.

Most likely. But there may be some core of truth to the idea that everything people have been saying about the system, is entirely wrong.

Nintendo mentioned before that they kept their cards close to their chest due to copy concerns. So I don't think it's far fetched to think it could be copied in some form by Sony or MS on their current consoles. I mean if it were just a handheld with a dock and all that, they'd have little to fear from them right? If that's the case, than waiting until Neo has been set in stone, so they can't attach whatever Nintendo's doing as a standard on it, makes some sense perhaps?

Do you mean the same Nintendo that kept saying they had a secret for the Gamecube that they couldn't reveal because people would copy it and the actual thing was that the L and R buttons clicked

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Maybe this:
Detachable controllers (motion controls and next-gen vibration technology)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I think the rumor miapelled "carts"
It was intended as "cards"
NFC amiibo cards
That will contain the entire games!

roytheone

Nintendo doesn't time anything to coincide with TGS. They haven't attended in years, and they always hold their own Directs or events at other times. Besides, a majority of their business is overseas, and TGS is a very Japan-centric show. They're more likely to announce it in the United States using NoA if it's not a worldwide Direct or Direct livestream.

Nintendo may not, but many of their partners that are likely to be working on NX games will. Imagine being a publisher with some great NX games in the works, but you can't talk about it at tgs because Nintendo hasn't revealed it yet. That's probably frustrating.

surejan.gif

It honestly reads like some fanboy's wet dream..
...and then ALL the third parties said "SCREW SONY AND MICROSOFT!! NOW WE'RE PLAYING WITH POWER!!!" And Cyberpunk 2077 was announced as an NX exclusive too!! YEAH! TAKE THAT!!!

Where the fuck did that screenshot even come from? I like that NX speculation has arrived at the point where it has given up completely on finding reliable sources.

As much as I want this all to end in September already, I have to agree with others that judging by the dead silence and the fact that we just got a direct very recently, I'm starting to doubt we'll hear anything before the month is over unless Nintendo's just waiting for Sony's parade to pass by.

Hermii

Where the fuck did that screenshot even come from? I like that NX speculation has arrived at the point where it has given up completely on finding reliable sources.

As much as I want this all to end in September already, I have to agree with others that judging by the dead silence and the fact that we just got a direct very recently, I'm starting to doubt we'll hear anything before the month is over unless Nintendo's just waiting for Sony's parade to pass by.

I'm still holding out for this month. Why would NINTENDO be anything but dead silent about it before its revealed? Also I think the 3ds direct was more of a preparation for the NX reveal. Getting te announcements out of the way while there is still some excitement for 3ds news.

Nintendo may not, but many of their partners that are likely to be working on NX games will. Imagine being a publisher with some great NX games in the works, but you can't talk about it at tgs because Nintendo hasn't revealed it yet. That's probably frustrating.

Why do you believe there are many partners to start with? So far I think that's the biggest fallacy in the "have to unveil it before TGS" line of arguing.

Nintendo doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt here. As long as proven otherwise, their 3rd party support is as horrible for NX as it is now. No reason to asume otherwise, so I fail to see how TGS would suddenly be full of enthusiastic 3rd party support.

Why do you believe there are many partners to start with? So far I think that's the biggest fallacy in the "have to unveil it before TGS" line of arguing.

Nintendo doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt here. As long as proven otherwise, their 3rd party support is as horrible for NX as it is now. No reason to asume otherwise, so I fail to see how TGS would suddenly be full of enthusiastic 3rd party support.

Nintendo probably has decent Japanese support, but they'll probably want their software announced at the NX unveiling, so missing TGS doesn't seem like all that big of a deal to me.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
No, ok. What I meant is: according to you is a Direct a viable way to introduce the new console? Without a presentation with press?

A Direct and local hands-on events for the press is the most probable option, in my opinion.

Jackano

It's just September. Plenty of time until the end of the year.
Yeah but people may want/are working on this thing and you can't indefinitely keep everyone under NDA even for business purpose after TGS.

October/November/December will be busy with everyone marketing for products that actually release during the holidays. That's a lot of noise here to avoid (I'm not speaking about Neo and Scorpio, just the very busy global context for mindshare).

No, ok. What I meant is: according to you is a Direct a viable way to introduce the new console? Without a presentation with press?
IMO it will be surprisingly modern if Nintendo was going for an internet-only, viral buzz first.
It may be a good thing to do to burn the console name/concept into people's mind, before doing the more specialized media and business events in the following weeks.

Top Bottom