• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Glee and Whiplash’s Melissa Benoist has been cast as Supergirl in upcoming CBS series

Status
Not open for further replies.

GavinUK86

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/22/supergirl-whiplash-and-glees-melissa-benoist-will-star-in-cbs-series

Melissa Benoist has been cast as the title character in CBS’ new Supergirl series.

Benoist can currently be seen as Miles Teller’s love interest in the critically acclaimed Whiplash. While no longer with the series, Benoist also had a role on Glee for two seasons – amusingly making her the second Glee cast member, after The Flash’s Grant Gustin, to move on to starring as a DC superhero.

The official description for Supergirl reads: “Born on the planet Krypton, Kara Zor-El escaped amid its destruction years ago. Since arriving on Earth, she’s been hiding the powers she shares with her famous cousin. But now at age 24, she decides to embrace her superhuman abilities and be the hero she was always meant to be.”

uF7rgSq.png

Up on EW, as well:

- 'Supergirl' found: CBS casts 'Glee' actress
pvGjQtS.jpg

After an extensive search, CBS has cast its Supergirl. The network has signed Glee actress Melissa Benoist in the starring role of Kara Zor-El in its series version of the classic comic-book story.

Benoist played Marley Rose in seasons four and five of Fox’s Glee and was also in the 2014 indie film Whiplash. The show’s official description: “Born on the planet Krypton, Kara Zor-El escaped amid its destruction years ago. Since arriving on Earth, she’s been hiding the powers she shares with her famous cousin. But now at age 24, she decides to embrace her superhuman abilities and be the hero she was always meant to be.”

Supergirl is the first super-hero show on CBS in 25 years (since 1990’s short-lived The Flash) and follows up on sister-network building its audience with DC heroes like on Arrow. At the TCA press tour earlier this month, CBS entertainment chairman Nina Tassler told critics their version of Supergirl will be a crime procedural (of course). “The beauty of it is now with shows like Good Wife and Madam Secretary, you can have serialized story elements woven into a case of the week,” Tassler said. “She’s a crime solver, so she’s going to have to solve a crime. She’s going to get a bad guy.”

Tassler further described the CBS version of the DC Comics icon as “a very strong, independent young woman. She’s coming into her own. She’s dealing with family issues. She’s dealing with work issues. It’s a female empowerment story. If you look at the strong female characters we have on the air, it really is resonant of that … We’re big feminists. It’s her intellect, it’s her skill, it’s her smarts. It’s all of those elements. It’s not just her strength, which she does have.”

Tassler also emphasized the actress has to carry the series. “She’s got to be an every woman,” she said. “She’s got to be specific. She’s got to be a terrific actor … it’s looking for someone who embodies both the freshness and the exuberance of being a young woman in today’s challenging climate and being someone who can carry this kind of series on her shoulders. It’s a big, big show.”

Benoist is far from the first actress to don Supergirl’s red cape. Helen Slater portrayed the heroine in the 1984 eponymous film, while Laura Vandervoort suited up on The CW’s Smallville. Even geek goddess Summer Glau (Dollhouse, Firefly) voiced Kara in the direct-to-video animated film Superman/Batman: Apocalypse.

So Supes does exist in her universe. Interesting.

I wonder if this will take place in Smallville, Metropolis, or a third location without all of the baggage.

If that description is from CBS, having Superman exist in this universe seems like a big mistake. Sigh. (Yeah, I saw the sides, but was hoping they were just that.)

Sober

Can't wait to see her in costume, mind you.

Also confusing amounts of confusing if this is supposed to be in the same universe as Arrow/Flash or not. Hopefully it is, which means no Superman.

You know? This works!

Loved her on Glee for the limited role she was allowed. Good positive energy.

"Since arriving on Earth, she’s been hiding the powers she shares with her famous cousin."

YES!

stuminus3

The bottom is going to fall out of this superhero boom so hard one day...

But until then, yes. I will enjoy this. Verily.

Penguin

DC's casting pool

For superheroes, go to Glee

For supervillains, go to Prison Break

For bad-asses, go to Spartacus.

I don't think Superman will show up.

There's some confusing mixed messaging going on. She was described as being the only Kryptonian in this universe.

...crime procedural ?

The Flash is still pretty much a crime procedural, since he's still trying to arrest most of the bad guys and has to work through official police investigative channels to do so.

Possibly eventually, have to see if the show can stand on it's own.

Wonder who they'll cast as supes then.

is this going to share the flash/arrow universe?

Their official response to the Flash/Arrow question was, "Maybe, but not right now." They will give her the chance to stand on her own. I really doubt Clark ever shows up in the flesh in any of the three series. Ma and Pa Kent maybe.

This, however...

Supergirl is the first super-hero show on CBS in 25 years (since 1990’s short-lived The Flash) and follows up on sister-network building its audience with DC heroes like on Arrow. At the TCA press tour earlier this month, CBS entertainment chairman Nina Tassler told critics their version of Supergirl will be a crime procedural (of course). “The beauty of it is now with shows like Good Wife and Madam Secretary, you can have serialized story elements woven into a case of the week,” Tassler said. “She’s a crime solver, so she’s going to have to solve a crime. She’s going to get a bad guy.”

Ehhh. Crime procedural?

I'm not sure about this direction, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

l0AOFWL.png

Sober

That official description has already been contradicted by showrunners/producers though, hasn't it? I remember that paragraph coming out awhile ago.
Personally I think the description is just to make it easier to understand Supergirl in the context of Superman. Same goes for those audition videos that came out, I doubt that's what's happening.

If they make Superman exist in the show, that's cutting off cross-overs almost entirely (well you have to Flash to do whatever parallel multiverse trickery you need, I guess), and you also have the chance to define Supergirl as something unique rather than an offshoot of Superman, so that seems like something more appealing IMO than just having to pay lip service to someone who'll never show up onscreen anyway.

Jigorath

Banned
I only saw her in Whiplash (I won't go near Glee with a ten foot pole) which she was barely in so I have no idea whether or not she's a good actress.

I just hope most of her villains aren't women too. It really cheapens everything when it turns into "shes a girl hero and she fights girl bad guys!"

mreddie

I can dig it, hopefully it's part of the Arrowverse but give it a season before she gets into the crossover fold.

kurahador

Man...she really came far after Homeland.

But eh...the premise doesn't sounds promising. I wonder how the hell are they going to do this without Superman.
Or if WB feeling ballsy, to let them use different Superman than MoS.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
I haven't seen her in anything but I'm hopeful!

I also hope that the "famous cousin" bit is just for the readers rather than something in universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom