• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Glee and Whiplash’s Melissa Benoist has been cast as Supergirl in upcoming CBS series

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReiGun

I just hope most of her villains aren't women too. It really cheapens everything when it turns into "shes a girl hero and she fights girl bad guys!"

Since they'll likely be using Superman's rogues, there aren't that many women anyway: Livewire, Silver Banshee, Maxima, and Faora are the only four I can think of off the top of my head.

Man...she really came far after Homeland.

But eh...the premise doesn't sounds promising. I wonder how the hell are they going to do this without Superman.

Supergirl has had a comic for years without appearances by her cousin. People KNOW who he is. If they even just mention him now and again, it works.

Slayven

Supergirl has had a comic for years without appearances by her cousin. People KNOW who he is. If they even just mention him now and again, it works.

By the great Peter David, did get a little weird for a while with the angel stuff. But it was 98% aces. Still the best Supergirl stuff IMHO.

Platy

The Flash is still pretty much a crime procedural, since he's still trying to arrest most of the bad guys and has to work through official police investigative channels to do so.

No problem for Flash .... but Supergirl works best for a more ... freak of the week type of episode.

Or I am missing a version of supergirl that is a cop ?

Penguin

So Karaoke crossover episode with Flash? :D

Find NPH, make him reprise his role as the Music Meister!

Season 3 crossover, book it!

No problem for Flash .... but Supergirl works best for a more ... freak of the week type of episode.

I think freak of the week could still fit that.

I mean if want to be broad, kind of what Supernatural is

Finaika

Her alter ego is a cop in one of her comic incarnations if I'm not mistaken.

ninjabat

Liked her in Whiplash. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt based on that performance. Never watched glee, but the casting in flash and arrow has been good, so I have faith she can pull this of.

pulga

Banned
This show is a mistake :/ All everyone is going to ever going to want is to see Superman show up.

Wonder how powerful they'll make her. Unless they go crazy with aliens and mutants she'll be pretty grounded. Hopefully they do a power growth like in flash.

kurahador

I don't read comic, so I wouldn't know. Besides, her best appearance in the cartoons always seems to involve bigger baddies and characters not alone.

statham

cool beans, I don't watch Glee, so I don't know how she is, but I like her looks and thinks it fits as Supergirl.

Maybe?

But the leaked auditions also mention Superman by name so maybe something's changed?

Theres a transcript here

Yeah, I've seen those. Problem is that sometimes audition sides aren't actually coming from the script itself. For example: Capaldi's read for Doctor Who featured pages that Moffat wrote specifically for the audition. I know other auditions feature actors reading from already produced scripts from completely separate productions.

That said - it's just as possible they really are just going to have Superman be a "character" in this version of Supergirl. I've been googling since that paragraph was re-used in this press announcement, and it turns out I can't actually FIND the quote I'm remembering regarding producers saying they weren't going to have Superman exist in their universe, and that Kara would be completely divorced from any of those origins as Superman's cousin.

So maybe that was just internalized internet bullshit I've been repeating like an asshole.

On the Superman thing, early casting calls pegged this her family as the Danvers.

For Kara Zor-El aka Kara Danvers, the show is eyeing Caucasian females, age 22 to 26, to play 24. As the series’ mythology goes, Kara at age 12 was sent from her dying home planet of Krypton to Earth, where she was taken in by the Danvers, a foster family who taught her to be careful with her extraordinary powers. After repressing said skills for more than a decade, Kara is forced to bust out her super moves in public during an unexpected disaster. Energized by her heroism for the first time in her life, she begins embracing her abilities in the name of helping the people of her city, earning herself a super moniker along the way.

There's also a weird Lex Luthor/Danvers hybrid, meaning we may tread the same ground as Smallville.

The other lead role currently being cast is that of 26-year-old Alexandra “Alex” Danvers, Kara’s gorgeous, brilliant, science-minded foster sister. Growing up, Alex was partly jealous of her sibling yet also fascinated by her abilities, prompting Alex to learn as much as she could about alien anthropology, sociology and culture. Today, Alex works for a secret government organization and, alongside her heroic sis, will face many challenges, both mundane and super.

The rest of the series-regular casting has included Superman supporting cast members like Jimmy Olson and Cat Grant.

CAT GRANT | The project is eyeing females in their 40s, open ethnicity, to play the founder of CatCo, a media conglomerate that Cat built from the ground up. Kara (Supergirl’s mild-mannered alter ego) will work as a personal assistant to Cat, who is described as “J.Lo by way of Anna Wintour.”

JAMES OLSEN | In his late 20s/early 30s, open ethnicity, James is a smart, worldly and (duh) attractive photographer for CatCo. Though an alpha male, his salt-of-the-earth nature elicits a huge ol’ crush from Kara.

WINSLOW ‘WYNN’ SCHOTT | This twentysomething tech whiz/Comic-Con stalwart toils for CatCo as a programmer, unaware of his own (toying?) potential. Unware of her secret, he carries a torch for Kara, whom he lives next door to.

HANK HENSHAW | As an upstart CIA agent, Hank grew obsessed with intergalactic intel. Now in his 40s and lording over the DEO (Department of Extra-Normal Operations), he is on high alert when Supergirl reveals herself, worried that her otherworldly abilities pose a threat to humankind.

So, I doubt Superman exists in this world, as Henshaw's bio points to Kara being the first. I think the description is for viewers, not an indication of plot. (Also, Supergirl-Jimmy-Toyman love triangle)

kirby_fox

Banned
Ugh I don't like her... she was really meh on Glee. Hopefully she can pull this off.

From the really short time I watched her on Glee, her character was super meh. Awful attempt at using Marley as a way less interesting Rachel to not detract from wanting to have the Rachel story continue.

I think she'll do fine, as long as Supergirl doesn't turn into a musical.

Finaika

I wonder if she will play Kara Danvers with her natural brunette hair while wearing a blonde wig when she becomes Supergirl?

Of course its a bit weird as its the opposite in the comics lol.

Now we need the costume shot. It's gotta be coming, she was getting her hair blonded up just recently. I'd imagine photo shoot is either happening very soon, or just recently happened.

Hopefully it is NOT taking inspiration from that shit-ass New 52 design.

strafer

she's going to put on the suit right away?

It's not a Smallville situation were we are following her for 10 seasons?

ninjabat

I would assume she would wear the suit within the first two episodes. The same guy that runs arrow and flash is doing supergirl, and in those shows they never waited to put on the suit.

ReiGun

Now we need the costume shot. It's gotta be coming, she was getting her hair blonded up just recently. I'd imagine photo shoot is either happening very soon, or just recently happened.

Except the cape. I could leave the rest of the suit , but that cape is too good.

Van Owen

Banned
The girl from the fappening that had all those fuck pictures with a dude?

I've only seen her in her 1 ep of Homeland...

Don't even entertain such an idea. She has to put the suit on within the first few episodes, she just has to.

I'd love for it to happen in the first episode, but I know that's not completely realistic unless it's an extended episode and the show opens with her already comfortable with her powers.

Yeah, that New 52 design is just bizarre. So was Power Girl's, before they changed it back.

I like Michael Turner's redesign, but with a red skirt.

anaron

Ha, all that speculation actually amounted to the truth.

Didn't like her on glee but am obviously waiting to see.

Cartman86

Banned
Maybe off topic, but I have to say it somewhere! She's one of those people that in every single role she looks like a different person depending on something simple like a haircut.

TJ Bennett

TJ Hooker
So happy for Melissa. I worked with her last year on Glee and she's a sweetheart. Between Supergirl and Whiplash, she's done very well since leaving the New Directions.

DaveH

I definitely can see it based on the performances I've seen of hers. I almost hope they don't make her go blond.

Kinyou

I definitely can see it based on the performances I've seen of hers. I almost hope they don't make her go blond.
She already hs her hair dyed.

8pis34f.jpg

I think it's for the better because I imagine the costume to have quite some differences to the comic, so they can at least keep the iconic hair.

Cheebo

Banned
Same creative team and writers as the fantastic Arrow and The Flash. This is going to more or less by default most likely be better than the other major network super hero shows (Gotham, Shield/Agent Carter) due to the fantastic team making this show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom