• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Glee and Whiplash’s Melissa Benoist has been cast as Supergirl in upcoming CBS series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same creative team and writers as the fantastic Arrow and The Flash. This is going to more or less by default most likely be better than the other major network super hero shows (Gotham, Shield/Agent Carter) due to the fantastic team making this show.

Greg Berlanti yes, Marc Gugenheim and Andrew Kreisberg, no. At least as far as I know.

anaron

So happy for Melissa. I worked with her last year on Glee and she's a sweetheart. Between Supergirl and Whiplash, she's done very well since leaving the New Directions.
Aw, that's good to hear. She's always appeared as an incredibly nice person.

Joni

I'm positive about this. It is honestly quite clear most problems with her Glee acting were script related. And we really need that Karaoke cross-over now.

Joni

I need to see Benoist in the costume.

Final costume might be different from this. :D
1147070_1353776692849_full.jpg

Same creative team and writers as the fantastic Arrow and The Flash. This is going to more or less by default most likely be better than the other major network super hero shows (Gotham, Shield/Agent Carter) due to the fantastic team making this show.

I'm sure it will be good but rofl @ jimmy being an "alpha male", and her neighbor seems to be a male analog to felicity
but will likely be toyman?

Yeah, that New 52 design is just bizarre. So was Power Girl's, before they changed it back.

I like Michael Turner's redesign, but with a red skirt.

I can't even imagine the New 52 design would even work on screen. It's like a... fetish bathing suit or something with boots and kneepads.

The Michael Turner design would be cool, but they're not going to give her that belly shirt, I'm sure. I like those sleeves, though.

sparkzero

I stopped watching Glee in early season 4, but I think she is really sweet and a good choice.

I've read Elisabeth Lail (Anna in Once Upon a Time) also auditioned for the role. She would've been a good fit too, as she is the same type of 'sweet girl'.

On the Superman thing, early casting calls pegged this her family as the Danvers.

There's also a weird Lex Luthor/Danvers hybrid, meaning we may tread the same ground as Smallville.

The rest of the series-regular casting has included Superman supporting cast members like Jimmy Olson and Cat Grant.

So, I doubt Superman exists in this world, as Henshaw's bio points to Kara being the first. I think the description is for viewers, not an indication of plot. (Also, Supergirl-Jimmy-Toyman love triangle)

They cast Hank Henshaw?

This Hank Henshaw?

Cyborg_Superman_h005.jpg

Kinyou

I can't even imagine the New 52 design would even work on screen. It's like a... fetish bathing suit or something with boots and kneepads.

The Michael Turner design would be cool, but they're not going to give her that belly shirt, I'm sure. I like those sleeves, though.
I kind of like the new 52 one. At least more than the cheerleader uniform. But it's obvious that it wouldn't translate all that well to live action.

LOL

What are your issues with it btw?

It looks bizarre and alien. Like a councilwoman's suit on some sci-fi world.

I like something simple and homespun. Something that came off of the kitchen table of Ma and Pa Kent. Something made after Superman's own outfit, that says "Yes, I'm going to follow in my cousin's footsteps and uphold the family crest." The original Supergirl outfit was that. Matrix's 90s outfit was that. Michael Turner's redesign was that as well.

IconGrist

Knowing nothing about Supergirl, how does her secret identity work?

If this show pegs her as the only Kryptonian on Earth then you can expect her secret identity to work exactly like Clark/Superman.

She has worn a wig before to mix up the hair colors so we may see that too.

If this show pegs her as the only Kryptonian on Earth then you can expect her secret identity to work exactly like Clark/Superman.

She has worn a wig before to mix up the hair colors so we may see that too.

Sorry, I meant how does she hide her superhero identity amongst other humans, since she's not wearing a mask (as it seems). Glasses like Kent?

anaron

It looks bizarre and alien. Like a councilwoman's suit on some sci-fi world.

I like something simple and homespun. Something that came off of the kitchen table of Ma and Pa Kent. Something made after Superman's own outfit, that says "Yes, I'm going to follow in my cousin's footsteps and uphold the family crest." The original Supergirl outfit was that. Matrix's 90s outfit was that. Michael Turner's redesign was that as well.

Kara's look SHOULD be alien though. She grew up on an alien planet and left it as a teenager

IconGrist

Kara's look SHOULD be alien though. She grew up on an alien planet and left it as teenager

That depends on how she acquires the costume. If Ma and Pa Danvers make it it'll look like human design, if she acquires it from some sort of leftover Kryptonian ship it obviously would be more alien in nature.

anaron

That depends on how she acquires the costume. If Ma and Pa Danvers make it it'll look like human design, if she acquires it from some sort of leftover Kryptonian ship it obviously would be more alien in nature.
The costume I posted isn't that elaborate or even alien. She's wearing essentially a trench coat of sorts over a kyptonian body suit

Kara's look SHOULD be alien though. She grew up on an alien planet and left it as teenager

I don't see why she'd have to preserve her alien look once she got to Earth. She's not The Eradicator. If she's going to follow in the footsteps of her established cousin, the most famous superhero on the planet, it makes sense that she'd wear an outfit that resembles his.

IconGrist

The costume I posted isn't that elaborate or even alien. She's wearing essentially a trench coat of sorts over a kyptonian body suit

Yea but the trench coat thing doesn't really scream "symbol of hope". I can almost guarantee she'll have a cape.

anaron

I don't see why she'd have to preserve her alien look once she got to Earth. She's not The Eradicator. If she's going to follow in the footsteps of her established cousin, the most famous superhero on the planet, it makes sense that she'd wear an outfit that resembles his.
We still don't officially know if Superman will exist in the final script contrary to those audition sides. It would seem theyre giving Kara her own Lex luthor in her foster sister Alex and in addition Jimmy Olsen and a bunch of his rogues

We still don't officially know if Superman will exist in the final script contrary to those audition sides. It would seem theyre giving Kara her own Lex luthor in her foster sister Alex and in addition Jimmy Olsen and a bunch of his rogues

Oh, okay.

Well, it just looks ugly to me.

WedgeX

Banned
And besides, Tom Welling wore a trench coat already. Literally a trench coat for all of Smallville season 9. I can't imagine they want to go that route again.

I did not watch Smallville up to that point hahahaaha they were trying to go the Angel route, weren't they?

Now I want a dark-noir Supergirl detective story.

Like Superman and the Question teaming up? Cause that was some good comics.

IconGrist

I did not watch Smallville up to that point hahahaaha they were trying to go the Angel route, weren't they?

Like Superman and the Question teaming up? Cause that was some good comics.

I hated that outfit. All black trench coat, black t-shirt with the "S" like chalked on or something in white. Black slacks w/ black belt. Black boots. Everytime he saved someone or stopped a crime he would burn the "S" into the ground or side of a building.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom