• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl Costume Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I hope so. though, Kara is essentially starting with her comics costume and the other two are catching up to theirs

I'm also hoping the show ends with her surpassing Superman. The thing with Supergirl is that Superman has experience on her, but in terms of strength and willpower and flat-out power? She's near his match. All she lacks is the experience. Give her ten years, and she'd surpass Superman with ease.

anaron

I'm also hoping the show ends with her surpassing Superman. The thing with Supergirl is that Superman has experience on her, but in terms of strength and willpower and flat-out power? She's near his match. All she lacks is the experience. Give her ten years, and she'd surpass Superman with ease.
yup.

wapplew

first look at Kara's disguised look

gX0cvQ3.jpg

D9NRp9q.jpg

Can't believe that weirdo dump her for Jazz drum.

Shadownet

Banned
Man it never cease to amaze me how crazy some people on GAF are. Just because you don't like something, you think its terrible casting or destined to fail.

Personally I'm glad they went with the classic skirt look, though it could be more detailed. I wish the shield was raised like MoS or Superman Returns, and red wristbands like in the comic.

Its a decent costume. Gotta see it in motion though.

I think they casted her pretty well, she does not look old. Its just a bad picture, she's gorgeous as hell. of course Laura was an awesome Supergirl in Smallville but it was impossible to get her back.

i'm happy it's a costume and they accepted people want to see superheros look like superheros. not wear sweatshirts with logos

clarkkentmasquerade.jpg
Um you do know why they couldn't have Clark Sent wear the Superman suit on the show right? Jesus, go learn a bit about Smallville before you make a fool out of yourself.

This was suggested by anaron in the other thread, but I'm firmly behind it:

Jp7gSX0.jpg
I like the 2nd suit in this pic. Minus the open back stuff. But I think this might be too much of a change though. I think its good that they started out with the classic look and maybe move on to this if the show get a 2nd or 3rd season.

The upper right costume in this picture is pretty awesome too. Could be a future update.

Oh and have I mentioned how goddamn crazy some of you are?

DeathyBoy

Banned
It's also worth noting that, shit, maybe Laura V wouldn't WANT to play the role again. Perhaps she just says she would because there's decent convention money she can make talking about her time on Smallville, and saying 'I'd love to play the role again' keeps that money coming in on top of her other acting gigs.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
So if Dean Cain is in this, and for a proper Supergirl backstory we'd probably need a Superman running around somewhere (With what the whole "S" symbol and all), is it too far off to assume Cain will be that Superman? How does he look like nowadays? The option of current TV DC existing in the L&C universe instead of the Smallville one excites me strangely.

DeathyBoy

Banned
So if Dean Cain is in this, and for a proper Supergirl backstory we'd probably need a Superman running around somewhere (With what the whole "S" symbol and all), is it too far off to assume Cain will be that Superman? How does he look like nowadays? The option of current TV DC existing in the L&C universe instead of the Smallville one excites me strangely.

GTY_dean_cain_sk_140811_25x14t_384.jpg

That's from 2014.

Seriously... just have him play present day Superman. Say he's in his late 30s or some shit. I mean if Kara's 24, and she's been on Earth for six to eight years, Superman had to have been active for four or so years before that.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
GTY_dean_cain_sk_140811_25x14t_384.jpg

That's from 2014.

Seriously... just have him play present day Superman. Say he's in his late 30s or some shit. I mean if Kara's 24, and she's been on Earth for six to eight years, Superman had to have been active for four or so years before that.

Ooh - yeah, he definitely can pull it off. That would be so cool and establish a different universe to the movies as well. #Supercain

Joni

They should really do something with all these former superheroes they have cast. Berlanti is now employing old Supergirl, old Superman I, old Superman II and old Flash. He just needs roles for Tom Welling and Laura Vandervoort.

I hope so. though, Kara is essentially starting with her comics costume and the other two are catching up to theirs

Well, unless she or her step mother made it she's kind of got a head start and still, if Superman does exist in Supergirl's continuity she's got something to base it off.

Just want to point out people are straight-facedly suggesting Old Dean Cain play Superman again.

People didn't like YOUNG Dean Cain playing the character. He hasn't gotten any better at acting in the decades that have passed.

This is not a good idea.

Joni

Just want to point out people are straight-facedly suggesting Old Dean Cain play Superman again.

People didn't like YOUNG Dean Cain playing the character. He hasn't gotten any better at acting in the decades that have passed.

This is not a good idea.
You can always find people that don't like something. It is still one of the best live action versions of Superman.

You can always find people that don't like something. It is still one of the best live action versions of Superman.

No it isn't. People don't tend to regard it as such either. Trust me, I know that everyone has their fans of everything (I like Alien 3, for example) but that doesn't change the fact most people tend to look back at Lois & Clark and they don't think fondly of Dean Cain's work in it.

He's a bad actor overall. Helen Slater can at least carry a scene.

This is not a good idea.

Hey man, don't be disrespecting Best Superman...

5lT02v2.jpg

8r6YhKY.jpg

Pluto

It's fine when it makes sense. It wasn't overdone in Nolan's Batman trilogy, but Arrow/Flash(less so) have a ridiculous amount, and it's the bad, whiny kind.
Have you ever read superhero comics? Whiny relationship drama has been part of them from the start. Superman was in a love triangle with himself and Lois for decades before it was resolved for example and that was only when Lana and other characters weren't in the picture to make it more complicated.

Joni

Nostalgia is a hell of a thing.

No it isn't. People don't tend to regard it as such either. Trust me, I know that everyone has their fans of everything (I like Alien 3, for example) but that doesn't change the fact most people tend to look back at Lois & Clark and they don't think fondly of Dean Cain's work in it.

Yet it still receives many good ratings and the relationship between this version of Clark and Lois is the highest rated of all versions of it. It had some very bad moments like the clone storyline, but Cain at least managed to show both Clark Kent and Superman as characters.

You need to rewatch

Cain was fun to watch.

The only thing people remember about his Superman acting is when he stands in front of the people he just rescued and does the dated, yet classic Superman "in public" (Truth and Justice routine) ignoring (or forgetting) his performance as Clark w/ Lois, Clark with family, and Superman in danger.

I always hated that when he was superman his hair was slicked back but when he was clark it was all mussed up.

Its the other way around dammit :mad:

DeathyBoy

Banned
You need to rewatch

Cain was great
The only thing people remember about his Superman acting is when he stands in front of the people he just rescued and does the dated, yet classic Superman "in public" (Truth and Justice routine) ignoring (or forgetting) his performance as Clark w/ Lois, Clark with family, and Superman in danger.

It's revisionist nonsense that Cain was a bad Clark Kent/Superman. He did everything asked of him to a satisfactory level.

It's revisionist nonsense that Cain was a bad Clark Kent/Superman. He did everything asked of him to a satisfactory level.

It's not "revisionist nonsense." I'm old. I was there. It wasn't a very good show. He wasn't a very good Superman.

He was a good Clark Kent, and since the focus of the show was Lois & Clark (hence the title) he did enough to not get in the show's way on that front. But when the show tried to be a full-blown Superman show, it sucked.

People are basically suggesting he play Superman because it's an easy connection to make, and it sounds interesting if you don't have to actually think about how that would work for longer than five seconds, and you don't really take into account the fact Dean Cain looks way different - and is playing a series-long supporting role, while a completely different actor is being hired to play Superman for a one-off cameo.

It's a bad idea. Hell, it was generally a bad idea to re-hire him in the first place.

man, superman is a thing in this show? Hype deflated.

I know.

Hell, could you imagine the "whaaaa's" per capita during an intro where we think we're seeing the same ol same ol Superman origin, only Clark never makes it off the planet? And then we see a second rocket actually leave the planetary atmosphere just before explosion? And THAT'S the one we follow to earth?

Then again, starting the show with the death of infant Kal-El is... questionable.

But then again (again) technically, every Superman story starts with MILLIONS of children and babies dying, but nobody ever thinks of it that way, I guess.

Slayven

I know.

Hell, could you imagine the "whaaaa's" per capita during an intro where we think we're seeing the same ol same ol Superman origin, only Clark never makes it off the planet? And then we see a second rocket actually leave the planetary atmosphere just before explosion? And THAT'S the one we follow to earth?

Then again, starting the show with the death of infant Kal-El is... questionable.

But then again (again) technically, every Superman story starts with MILLIONS of children and babies dying, but nobody ever thinks of it that way, I guess.

JUSTL_24_3.jpg

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Have you ever read superhero comics? Whiny relationship drama has been part of them from the start. Superman was in a love triangle with himself and Lois for decades before it was resolved for example and that was only when Lana and other characters weren't in the picture to make it more complicated.

Do you enjoy watching that shit in Arrow and Flash?

I'm not comparing them to the comics, I'm comparing the shows to the movies, and I don't want everyone falling in love with Felicity Smoak in the movies.

No because superman will also gain experience and wisdom and more power as well.

Maybe on earth-3 as a comedy.

He was an awful superman. Awful. His Clark was good though.

Pluto

Do you enjoy watching that shit in Arrow and Flash?
I enjoy both shows including the relationship drama much more than the PoS Man of Steel or the overrated Nolan trilogy. Do I need a highlight reel of the relationship stuff? No, but it doesn't bother me at all.

What pissed me off was Laurel being a dumbass for most of season 2 of Arrow, not the relationship stuff.

He was a good Clark Kent, ...
So he wasn't a bad actor overall, good to know.

I was there too, I watched Lois and Clark when it originally aired in the 90s and I enjoyed it very much for the first two and a half years before it turned to shit.
I thought Dean Cain was an awesome Clark Kent and all the problems with Superman's portrayal were intentional, that's how I interpreted it.
Clark was without a doubt the real personality on that show, Superman was someone he made up after he came to Metropolis to keep his powers secret, so every time Superman acted weird or unnatural I thought it wasn't because Dean Cain was a bad actor. Clark Kent was the one who couldn't act!

I like the costume, but I've never been a fan of the skirt, really. Significantly better than that stupid-ass crotch plate shit that's in the New 52, though. Unless they changed that up recently.

The whaaa? Dean Cain was terrible. There's a reason that when Brandon Routh got cast, people asked him if he'd be able to do justice to Christopher Reeve's Superman, not friggin Dean Cain's Superman.

I think the only good thing I liked about Lois and Clark were the actors they got for Lex Luthor and Perry White.

massoluk

Banned
The thing about Dean Cain's Superman is that his disguise looks more like Superman, while his Superman looks like a Clark Kent, at least the hairstyle.

Tom Welling should definitely appear as a villain. He was always at his best when Clark was being evil or a dick, cause you could tell Welling was having a barrel of fun.

And I'd definitely love it if Erica Durance and Laura Vandervoort showed up. In the latter half of Smallville, those two were the absolute highlights and best parts of the show.

DeathyBoy

Banned
The whaaa? Dean Cain was terrible. There's a reason that when Brandon Routh got cast, people asked him if he'd be able to do justice to Christopher Reeve's Superman, not friggin Dean Cain's Superman.

I think the only good thing I liked about Lois and Clark were the actors they got for Lex Luthor and Perry White.

Best Perry White ever.

Fucking gutted when Superman Returns came out and there was NO spark at all. I mean shit, I know they didn't want to ape Jameson from Spider-Man but Perry White needs personality. He's a gruff, no nonsense, get the damn story guy. Not a '... okay' dullard.

Best Perry White ever.

Fucking gutted when Superman Returns came out and there was NO spark at all. I mean shit, I know they didn't want to ape Jameson from Spider-Man but Perry White needs personality. He's a gruff, no nonsense, get the damn story guy. Not a '... okay' dullard.

I remember part of it was that they originally wanted Hugh Laurie as White, but he had scheduling issues, so Langella was the backup choice.

Pluto

I don't understand why so many people have a hard on for Christopher Reeve's portrayal, he was a decent Superman but his Clark sucked.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Tom Welling should definitely appear as a villain. He was always at his best when Clark was being evil or a dick, cause you could tell Welling was having a barrel of fun.

Yeah, pretty much the only good to come out of Smallville (besides Lois Lane) were the evil Clark episodes. Although it seems like Welling has completely disappeared, dunno if that's by choice or not.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Yeah, pretty much the only good to come out of Smallville (besides Lois Lane) were the evil Clark episodes. Although it seems like Welling has completely disappeared, dunno if that's by choice or not.

Chloe Sullivan and Lionel Luthor, dude. Lionel Luthor was a fucking excellent villain. His shit in the S3 finale was some cold as fucking ice vengeance.

I actually really like it, especially when compared to the other "no jokes" costumes.

I don't understand why so many people have a hard on for Christopher Reeve's portrayal, he was a decent Superman but his Clark sucked.
You think so? Granted I haven't seen it in a while, but I rmemeber him being perfectly awkward.

What's Allison Mack and Michael Rosenbaum even up to nowadays?

I'd love for Rosenbaum to appear in this show as a charming rogue criminal. He can be pretty charming, he guested on a few episodes of some Fox comedy a few years back as a dimwitted jock, he was really funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom