• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Glee and Whiplash’s Melissa Benoist has been cast as Supergirl in upcoming CBS series

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did not watch Smallville up to that point hahahaaha they were trying to go the Angel route, weren't they?

I hated that outfit. All black trench coat, black t-shirt with the "S" like chalked on or something in white. Black slacks w/ black belt. Black boots. Everytime he saved someone or stopped a crime he would burn the "S" into the ground or side of a building.

vewsnlw.jpg

Wow, that's bad.

anaron

Oh god, it's a Smallville design? Do not want. At all.
It's from the season 11 comic, it was never in the show.

And stop, it's in no way comparable to godawful clark black jacket BS that is literally just a store bought trench coat with a superman shirt underneath

kurahador

And besides, Tom Welling wore a trench coat already. Literally a trench coat for all of Smallville season 9. I can't imagine they want to go that route again.

Urghhh...Smallville scarred me for life. This show is the reason why I find it hard to tolerate the cheesiness in today's superhero tv series.

Dropped the show after the Doomsday season --- whole season of build up and the final confrontation lasts less than 20 seconds.

Not

Banned
No wayyyyyyy. The Whiplash chick?

good casting, I guess. Crazy how that movie raised her profile

to me

Pluto

This, however...

Ehhh. Crime procedural?

I'm not sure about this direction, but I'm willing to give it a shot.
I'm actually happy with that direction, she mentions serialized elements and some of my favourite shows have/had a procedural structure with serialized elements. The Good Wife and Veronica Mars for example and it's pretty much what Flash is doing right now and that show is fucking awesome.

I'm actually not a big fan of too much serialization, it makes episodes blur together and harder for me to remember. Some serialization is good and enhances a series but I like episode that still have an identity of their own and can be rewatched on their own and are not just the episode between the previous and next ones.
We shouldn't forget that daytime soaps are some of the most serialized shows on the air and very few people would call them quality television.

Currently many people seem to think "procedural = bad" and "serial = good" but that's obviously not true.

I'm actually happy with that direction, she mentions serialized elements and some of my favourite shows have/had a procedural structure with serialized elements. The Good Wife and Veronica Mars for example and it's pretty much what Flash is doing right now and that show is fucking awesome.

I'm actually not a big fan of too much serialization, it makes episodes blur together and harder for me to remember. Some serialization is good and enhances a series but I like episode that still have an identity of their own and can be rewatched on their own and are not just the episode between the previous and next ones.
We shouldn't forget that daytime soaps are some of the most serialized shows on the air and very few people would call them quality television.

Currently many people seem to think "procedural = bad" and "serial = good" but that's obviously not true.

That's a very good point about Flash. My main concern is the show might focus too heavily on human elements and human villains. I want lots of super powered freaks. I feels that's one of reasons why Flash has succeeded the way it has. The supers help to keep everything fresh and exciting.

- EW: 'Supergirl' casts 'True Blood' alum as James Olsen
Mehcad Brooks has been tapped to play DC Comics’ famed photographer in CBS’ superhero drama pilot, EW has learned.

The project stars Melissa Benoist as Kara Zor-El, who escaped Krypton amid its destruction years ago. Since arriving on Earth, she’s been hiding the powers she shares with her famous cousin. But now at age 24, she decides to embrace her superhuman abilities and be the hero she was always meant to be.

James Olsen—not Jimmy, like in the comics—is a photographer at CatCo, the media company where Kara works. He has recently been living and working in National City, through the reason is still a secret. James is also rumored to be a love interest for Kara

v46Zmng.jpg

anaron

Saw the thread get bumped, thought it was costume pics.

hercules.gif
I think that'll warrant a new thread

Also, ha

"mehcadbrooks
Woo hoo! History has been made people! Thank you @CBS @WarnerBrothers @DCcomics and All my new family at Berlanti Productions. Love all ya'll! Let's go! #supergirl #dccomics I'm #superman 's #biffle #jimmyolsen is no longer a redhead. :))))"

EW still making sure to reference that she "shares powers with her famous cousin."

Keeps me thinking that they ARE going to be openly referencing Superman in this show instead of having Kara essentially replace him as the sole survivor of Krypton.

Effect

I did not watch Smallville up to that point hahahaaha they were trying to go the Angel route, weren't they?

It was suppose to be a post-Doomsday homage. Who was the villain (it was a more of a proto version) in prior season to this outfit appearing. Similar to how Superman wore the black suit after he came back to life after being killed by Doomsday in the comics. The Lois and Clark series actually had a version of that suit as well in the finale season from what I recall. Clark was pretty much in mourning from what I remember and closed himself off to everyone after the deaths (some real and others he thought took place) that took place during the prior season finale. He went full superhero at that point and was doing training in the fortress. The outfit actually doesn't look that bad on screen as he's moving around. In stills though it's kinda iffy.

Edit: The outfit is also suppose to resemble the outfits that were worn on Krypton as well I think. When Major Zod (long but interesting story and season) shows up he wears something similar.

IconGrist

It was suppose to be a post-Doomsday homage. Who was the villain (it was a more of a proto version) in prior season to this outfit appearing. Similar to how Superman wore the black suit after he came back to life after being killed by Doomsday in the comics. The Lois and Clark series actually had a version of that suit as well in the finale season from what I recall. Clark was pretty much in mourning from what I remember and closed himself off to everyone after the deaths (some real and others he thought took place) that took place during the prior season finale. He went full superhero at that point and was doing training in the fortress. The outfit actually doesn't look that bad on screen as he's moving around. In stills though it's kinda iffy.

As much as I hated that look two of my favorite scenes happened while he was wearing it.

NTGYK always has pictures ready...

dean-pen-smile.gif

I think that'll warrant a new thread

Also, ha

"mehcadbrooks
Woo hoo! History has been made people! Thank you @CBS @WarnerBrothers @DCcomics and All my new family at Berlanti Productions. Love all ya'll! Let's go! #supergirl #dccomics I'm #superman 's #biffle #jimmyolsen is no longer a redhead. :))))"

What's a biffle

EW still making sure to reference that she "shares powers with her famous cousin."

Keeps me thinking that they ARE going to be openly referencing Superman in this show instead of having Kara essentially replace him as the sole survivor of Krypton.

Maybe they'll have a flashback where baby Superman gets blowed up real good by a meteor.

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo
First Iris West and now Jimmy Olson?

When will WB's bigotry towards redheads end??

Any chances of Henry Cavill making cameos & giving Kara advice in the series?

Zero, but Brandon Routh may show up

as Ray Palmer

karasu

I don't see how having Superman exist is a mistake. That's the kind of that history should be respected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom