• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Glee and Whiplash’s Melissa Benoist has been cast as Supergirl in upcoming CBS series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
When I think of Cat Grant, Ally McBeal is not who I think of...

Isn't she supposed to be buxom and "cougar" like? I mean, they can't even do this scene in the show now, haha

2012-04-06_141126_1212015-cat_grant_super.jpg

anaron

When I think of Cat Grant, Ally McBeal is not who I think of...

Isn't she supposed to be buxom and "cougar" like? I mean, they can't even do this scene in the show now, haha

2012-04-06_141126_1212015-cat_grant_super.jpg

I'm pretty sure that's more of a recent addition than a long lasting one

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty sure that's more of a recent addition than a long lasting one

Seriously. I don't think that's a longstanding definition of her character.
Yep, guess you guys are right. Just read her Wiki page and guess I was just so used to seeing her from Lois and Clark and her re-appearance in the Superman comics that it's that version that stuck in my head. I totally forgot about her in Smallville too.

Finaika

I really can't get used to her being Supergirl. I'll watch the show anyway, just because it's a superhero show. She looks super ugly to me but it will be her performance I'll judge of course, hopefully she and the show can win me over.

I'm curious to say the least.

That's pretty harsh.

Is Supergirl supposed to be super pretty in the comics?

I really can't get used to her being Supergirl. I'll watch the show anyway, just because it's a superhero show. She looks super ugly to me but it will be her performance I'll judge of course, hopefully she and the show can win me over.

I'm curious to say the least.
Wait, what?

Pachimari

To me, she is unattractive but dont let that become the focus. It's all about her performance and I can't wait for her to rock.

Busty

Banned
I'd like it known that I love the fact that Supergirl's first nemesis is a super obscure villain called
The Lumberjack
. I think that this show should make it a priority to use 'C and/or D list' characters from the DC back catalogue.

By using such little known characters they are free to do whatever they want with them without worrying about stepping on any other DCU production's toes. For this reason I'd be surprised if Superman (or any other Justice League member) is ever mentioned on the show never mind actually turn up.

With that in mind I wonder if Power Girl could be introduced in this series at a later point? Unless WB have plans to give her a TV show of her own outside the 'Berlanti DC verse' I'm not sure where else she would be introduced.

EDIT- Oops. Spoilered the villian name.

Joni

I'd like it known that I love the fact that Supergirl's first nemesis is a super obscure villain called
The Lumberjack
. I think that this show should make it a priority to use 'C and/or D list' characters from the DC back catalogue.

By using such little known characters they are free to do whatever they want with them without worrying about stepping on any other DCU production's toes. For this reason I'd be surprised if Superman (or any other Justice League member) is ever mentioned on the show never mind actually turn up.

With that in mind I wonder if Power Girl could be introduced in this series at a later point? Unless WB have plans to give her a TV show of her own outside the 'Berlanti DC verse' I'm not sure where else she would be introduced.
µThe backstory of
Lumberjack
within the casting call links him
directly to Superman who he has fought in the past. He wants to test her compared to her cousin.
I still think the show could be better off by having Superman dead if they need him to exist. Retcon him into the Arrowverse as a well-known myth.

anaron

rumours from Supergirl.TV

Tonight is the Oscars. Hollywood's royalty gather to accept awards, make political speechs, and see leaps forward in fashion. What is Supergirl.tv doing? RESEARCH! That's how much we love this show! Tonight we have a few rumors we want to get out there. While these are NOT confirmed they are backed by some sources in the know. That said you should take them as rumors and not news! Also, if these rumors turn out to be true, then they become possible SPOILERS so read on at your own risk. Ok lets get started!

Melissa Benoist's hair. You probably saw the stunning photos of Melissa this weekend at the Spirit Awards. She's looking great! Totally in superhero shape and rocking a new hair color! Now here is where the rumor comes in. Some trusted sources at Superwomenmania say that Melissa's hair isn't fully blonde because when she is Supergirl, she is actually going to wear a wig. Melissa's brown hair now has the beautiful blonde streeks in it, but this will actually be a nod that she is Supergirl when she is dressed as Kara. Melissa as Supergirl will actually have truly blonde hair in the form of a wig. How this fits into the story has yet to be determined. We aren't sure if Kara will wear a wig or if its just an element of the production. Of course its a great call back to the original Supergirl who wore a wig between being a hero and her alter-ego.

Supergirl's costume may not be as complete as was suggested by CBS Entertainment President Nina Tassler. While the main costume is complete, there may be a debate going on currently to decide if Supergirl will get a cape. Yes you read that right, they are debating on whether or not Supergir's costume will have a cape! (We'll let you form your own opinions/outrage about that).

Character descriptions may be fluctuating along with audition dialogue.
We've noticed that Alex Danvers has a lengthy conversation with her boss, Hank Henshaw in the audition tapes. He mentions saving money to try and buy Alex a corsage for a big dance in high school. This however, would be very creepy if the original casting call descriptions are accurate. In the character desciptions, Alex is 26 years old and Henshaw is in his 40's. Without some sort of plot explanation, its safe to bet that either the audition dialogue will change in the real show or Hank's age will be brought down a bit.

Casting rumor. Last week we posted that we felt an announcement was coming within 24-48 hours and about 48 hours later, we learned that Laura Benanti had been cast to play Kara's biological mother, Alura. This time, we aren't so confident but there are thoughts that David Harewood (known for his role in Homeland) could find a place on the Supergirl show. What role, we don't know but according to his age, he isn't going to be Wynn and he is just on the edge of a 40's something Henshaw. So who knows, there may be nothing to it or maybe he'll take an unknown role.

We do want to take a moment and remind you that these are all rumors and none of them have been given proof yet. So take all of this with a grain of salt.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
oh hell yeah, Flash and Arrow's Blake Neely is doing the score! :D

G3AZ3od.jpg
I liked his work on Arrow, but totally loved his work on Flash, so yay! :D

The Lumberjack

Well, if this is part of the Arrowverse 2 members are already there :p

anaron

ugh ugh UGH

Supergirl casting its Superman

Looks like Supergirl will get a visit from Kara’s “famous cousin” after all.

Though is he not name-checked and only alluded to in the new CBS series’ synopsis, Superman will put in an appearance of sorts in the pilot.

As pointed out by KryptonSite by way of ProjectCasting.com, Supergirl is seeking someone “5-foot-11 or taller,” “square-jawed” and wielding “a ripped physique” to serve as a body double for “a DC Comic Superhero.”
Lest there be any doubt, interested parties are asked to email their application using the subject line “SUPERMAN.”

The “body double” language suggests that this super fella will only be seen from a distance and/or partially obstructed and/or never in focus, probably (I speculate) to dodge any conflicts with the Man of Steel currently soaring around the DCU, as portrayed by Henry Cavill.

CBS’ Supergirl stars Glee grad Melissa Benoist in the title role, while Mehcad Brooks, Calista Flockhart and Laura Benanti thus far have been cast as Jimmy Olsen, Cat Grant and Kara’s Krypton mom.

strafer

Though is he not name-checked and only alluded to in the new CBS series’ synopsis, Superman will put in an appearance of sorts in the pilot.

Then do what's right and get Cavill for a 10 minute cameo. That right there is about 10 million viewers.

Yeah, I'm disappointed that Superman will appear. Doesn't feel necessary. I was hoping this show would be its own thing, not existing in either the Arrowverse or the DC Cinematic verse, but carving out its own little verse while very loosely borrowing from both.

Linking to any verse seems like it would severely limit what they can do in the long term.

Penguin

Alas

Granted, it sounds like a Birds of Prey thing right now.

Where Batman shows up from a distance and disappears, but disappointing.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
What?

Damn, that's pretty lame, guess no alternative TV trinity then :(

Oh, god. They just couldn't resist, could they? Unless he's dead, good luck finding a justification for him never appearing that doesn't feel incredibly forced.

how about the fact that DC heroes never interfere in the affairs of the other heroes?

Well, I'm morbidly curious what in-universe rationale they establish for Superman never appearing in full. Sigh

he's busy. he's Superman, he is always busy. just like Batman is busy doing his own shit, like Flash, like Arrow, like Wonder Woman, like nearly all DC heroes they have their own lives and don't need a baby-sitter. is it really that hard to understand?

What?

Damn, that's pretty lame, guess no alternative TV trinity then :(

considering it was just fans wishful thinking that Supergirl would appear in the CW shows I see no problem with this.

he's busy. he's Superman, he is always busy. just like Batman is busy doing his own shit, like Flash, like Arrow, like Wonder Woman, like nearly all DC heroes they have their own lives and don't need a baby-sitter. is it really that hard to understand?

Given that Supergirl is presumably his sole biological family on earth and possibly the only other superhero in this universe, yes, it's kinda hard to understand.

I can only hope they just stop mentioning him after the pilot. It'll be a lot easier to swallow that way.

JDSN

Banned
That is fucking terrible. Now not only im gonna have to deal with woozlys fanfic but also a bunch of pedantic nerds every asking why isnt Superman showing up to solve some crisis.

Joni

Okay, that will ruin and haunt the show. It only works if he is dead. He is something that happened, not something that is happening.

anaron

I'm gonna try to give it the benefit of the doubt for now cuz like, as it is, it just seems like the most colossal misstep for a series designed to give proper recognition to Supergirl to then feature the most famous superhero of all time in any capacity

maybe they're going for a reverse crisis on infinite earth type deal?

Patryn

Okay, that will ruin and haunt the show. It only works if he is dead. He is something that happened, not something that is happening.

Should pull out something from the Grant Morrison catalogue and simply say that he's departed for space, to wander (until he comes back and sets up shop inside the sun).

But if Superman is in this, I really hope it's not in the Arrowverse. Superman existing would just fuck with WAY too much between Flash and Arrow.

Akahige

Oh yeah I almost forgot. I saw Whiplash like a week back she was good in the small role in it, naturally charming and likable. I look forward to this more now.

DaveH

I don't get why people are upset about Superman.

If anything, it makes Supergirl a stronger character and the show a bigger statement, because it shows she's relevant and compelling even in a universe with Superman (assuming the show is entertaining and engaging) and other heroes. That message is a little undercut if Superman has to be exiled and stand aside for us to pay attention.

It also serves as a really convenient way to hand-wave a lot of superhero-tropes and Kryptonian mythos without having to exhaustively explain everything... "Superman did it before" can be Supergirl's "A wizard did it." and just let us get to the storytelling and characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom