• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl Costume Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
first look at Kara's disguised look

gX0cvQ3.jpg

D9NRp9q.jpg

ORd9U1h.gif

I don't understand why so many people have a hard on for Christopher Reeve's portrayal, he was a decent Superman but his Clark sucked.

really? He's the reason I can believe people think Clark Kent and Superman are two different people. No one else has been able to pull that off convincingly in live action.

So he wasn't a bad actor overall, good to know.

Sometimes bad actors turn in decent performances, providing the people in charge have that actor play to their specific strengths and take pains avoid their weaknesses. Dean Cain playing Clark Kent is a decent match. Not a GREAT one. But decent. But then again, you also admit the show turned to shit. This not coincidentally lines up with the people in charge asking Dean Cain to go outside his wheelhouse. (There are other reasons the show went to shit, too, but I'm focusing more on Cain's role in it)

So why would people actually want Dean Cain, who played by most accounts (even those sympathetic to the show) a not great (if not flat out BAD) Superman, to BE Superman over 20 years later? If there's an actual reason beyond the surface "It kinda sounds cool," I haven't heard it yet. And I don't think that reason honestly exists beyond "it kinda sounds cool"

It doesn't take the reality of the show's casting calls into account, definitely.

GameSeeker

really? He's the reason I can believe people think Clark Kent and Superman are two different people. No one else has been able to pull that off convincingly in live action.

Exactly! Christopher Reeve was the best Superman & Clark Kent hands down, no one else comes close.

Pluto

You think so? Granted I haven't seen it in a while, but I rmemeber him being perfectly awkward.
I think so, he wasn't just awkward, he was super awkward, clumsy and dorky, he was almost as ridiculous as Steve Urkel except he wasn't part of a comedy.

It doesn't help that I'm generally not a fan of the "Clark's a dorky idiot" thing, apparently "mild mannered reporter" wasn't enough anymore, they had to take a bunch of nerd stereotypes and dial them up to eleven, thankfully they had moved away from that by the time Lois and Clark started.

anaron

ew at Dean Cain reprising superman

he's at most going to be Kara's foster dad or birth father and that's all he should be

ew at Dean Cain reprising superman

he's at most going to be Kara's foster dad or birth father and that's all he should be

I don't want there to be a Clark Kent/Superman at all, honestly. I want Kara to stand on her own two feet and be Superman.

And it's probably a lot to ask, but I'd love some Man of Steel-esque fight and flight scenes in the mid-season and season finales. Save up that budget!

Pluto

So why would people actually want Dean Cain, who played by most accounts (even those sympathetic to the show) a not great (if not flat out BAD) Superman, to BE Superman over 20 years later?
I certainly don't want that, I was just defending Dean Cain who I really don't think was that bad. He'll never win an award for his acting but he was a good Clark, he was charming and I believed Lois falling in love with him and imo that was more important for the show that Lois and Clark was than a perfect Superman.

And while the show did turn to shit, I will never ever blame Dean Cain for it, he wasn't a producer or writer, he was not in charge at ABC, Warner Bros. or DC when some boneheaded decisions were made.

He'll never win an award for his acting but he was a good Clark, he was charming and I believed Lois falling in love with him and imo that was more important for the show that Lois and Clark was than a perfect Superman.

No real disagreements from me on that point.

By the beard of Zeus, why does she need to wear a damn skirt? Seriously? What possible tactical advantage does it provide on the battlfield whatsoever? When her foes befell her, how does the skirt prevent an attack? Shall it serve as distraction? I'd declare it gone had it been my choice.

strafer

The One and Done™;155105404 said:
By the beard of Zeus, why does she need to wear a damn skirt? Seriously? What possible tactical advantage does it provide on the battlfield whatsoever? When her foes befell her, how does the skirt prevent an attack? Shall it serve as distraction? I'd declare it gone had it been my choice.

creep shots from bystanders

Maybe she likes the way it breathes?

Joni

Why does Superman wear his underwear above his clothes? A skirt at least makes sense, it is part of typical female Earth attire.

I don't want there to be a Clark Kent/Superman at all, honestly. I want Kara to stand on her own two feet and be Superman.

And it's probably a lot to ask, but I'd love some Man of Steel-esque fight and flight scenes in the mid-season and season finales. Save up that budget!

You'll get one good hero shot
9Vss8O6.gif

then a bunch of mediocre ones
ZArKZrQ.gif

Would it not enrage the purists, I'd campaign to end the skirt. Please do not mistake me, I am not oppose to skirts for it's own sake. Many would call the garb of Xena a skirt, though I would reference it a battle skirt, similar to those worn by Legionaries. This skirt however....It appears no different than non-battle attire.

This is actually my only gripe with this uniform. To envision her alongside established warriors such as Mr. Queen and Mr. Allen, I'd prefer a more sofisticated approach. The nostalgia is duly noted however.

Why does Superman wear his underwear above his clothes? A skirt at least makes sense, it is part of typical female Earth attire.

It goes back to his era of Creation where side show strong men and wrestlers(who to this day still) wear man thongs to show off their physique

You'll get one good hero shot
9Vss8O6.gif

then a bunch of mediocre ones
ZArKZrQ.gif

The big shots will mostly be CGI too. Like that shot of Flash doing the mach 1 punch. Looks bad, but it's TV so what can you do.

This is the sort of thinking that leads to Superman wearing an armor suit. SMH.

The One and Done™;155106658 said:
Would it not enrage the purists, I'd campaign to end the skirt. Please do not mistake me, I am not oppose to skirts for it's own sake. Many would call the garb of Xena a skirt, though I would reference it a battle skirt, similar to those worn by Legionaries. This skirt however....It appears no different than non-battle attire.

This is actually my only gripe with this uniform. To envision her alongside established warriors such as Mr. Queen and Mr. Allen, I'd prefer a more sofisticated approach. The nostalgia is duly noted however.

She's nigh invulnerable. I think she can be a little lax with her dress code

The One and Done™;155106658 said:

The technical name is Pteruges
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pteruges.

Rejoice you no longer have to say Kratos wears a skirt he wears pteruges

Shiina

Shouldn't Supergirl be buff or something? She looks so scrawny. Like they took some random housewife and put her into a superhero costume.

clem84

Gold Member
Kinda bummed that this is only a TV show. A full Supergirl motion picture would have been really cool.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Shouldn't Supergirl be buff or something? She looks so scrawny. Like they took some random housewife and put her into a superhero costume.

She's never been buff in any incarnation. The entire point of the character is people underestimate her and compare her to Superman. When, in point of fact, she roundly kicks Superman's ass regularly.

Shit, in the New 52 she fought off an entire army AND kicked Superman's ass, within hours of arriving on Earth. And all while looking like a 'random housewife'

at the design

The design, man!

The cape shouldn't attach to the symbol. That's never really looked good.
If there's going to be leggings the same color as the suit under the skirt then either there needs to be no skirt or the boots need to come WAY down.
If there aren't going to be leggings than the skirt needs to be a little bit longer and the boots still need to come way down.

Shiina

She's never been buff in any incarnation. The entire point of the character is people underestimate her and compare her to Superman. When, in point of fact, she roundly kicks Superman's ass regularly.

Shit, in the New 52 she fought off an entire army AND kicked Superman's ass, within hours of arriving on Earth. And all while looking like a 'random housewife'

I see.

anaron

The design, man!

The cape shouldn't attach to the symbol. That's never really looked good.
If there's going to be leggings the same color as the suit under the skirt then either there needs to be no skirt or the boots need to come WAY down.
If there aren't going to be leggings than the skirt needs to be a little bit longer and the boots still need to come way down.
definitely agreed about the boots and cape

She's like... Twenty something

IMO she has the facial structure/looks of a ~30 year old. In any case calling a woman in their mid/late twenties, where they have left schooling are fully independent and likely have started a career, a girl, as opposed to the male term being 'man still sounds archaic. IMO of course.

IMO she has the facial structure/looks of a ~30 year old. In any case calling a woman in their mid/late twenties, where they have left schooling are fully independent and likely have started a career, a girl, as opposed to the male term being 'man still sounds archaic. IMO of course.

You lost me, guy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom