• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Glee and Whiplash’s Melissa Benoist has been cast as Supergirl in upcoming CBS series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finaika

Melissa Benoist Talks Playing Supergirl in the Upcoming CBS Series.

“What’s so wonderful about her is that she is such a relatable character, amongst her powers. What I’m the most excited about is telling a story about a human being really realizing their potential and their strength, and I think that’s something that everyone will root for and want in their own lives – I’m really excited about that.”

While Benoist would not reveal if she would be wearing any version of the traditional Supergirl costume in the series – or a superhero costume at all – she did reveal that she's taken a good look at the comic book suit, including its often micro-mini hemline.

"It's a little daunting," she laughed. "It's daunting, but that's good. I like being pushed. I work well under pressure."

"I think if you told my five-year-old self that all this would be happening in this period of time, I would not have believed you!" she said. "Because it's been really wonderful. I feel so privileged to be working and doing what I've always loved to do since I was four years old…I'm a little overwhelmed by it, to be honest."

TheOddOne

- TVLine: Supergirl Scoop: Grey's Anatomy Vet Chyler Leigh and David Harewood Join The Cast.
The onetime Grey’s Anatomy‘s MD has joined the cast of CBS’ prospective series in the regular role of Alexandra “Alex” Danvers, Kara’s
(Glee‘s Melissa Benoist) confident foster sister whose fascination with her sibling’s powers inspired her to become a doctor
Additionally, Homeland‘s David Harewood (more recently seen on ABC’s late, great Selfie) has signed on to play Hank Henshaw,
a onetime CIA agent who now runs the Department of Extra-Normal Operations (DEO), which tracks extraterrestrial threats on the planet Earth. (Fans of the comics will know that Hank Henshaw is famous in DC Comics lore for being Cyborg Superman.)

anaron

oh shit, I clearly didn't register chyler's casting cuz it *just* clicked for me

I LOVE HER :D

eta: oh and David Harewood was great on homeland!

Joni

Chyler Leigh is on one hand a strange choice, because she wanted to act less for her kids. On the other, I loved her in Grey's Anatomy and she would make a great big sister after playing the little one for so long.

jrush64

Banned
Chyler Leigh is on one hand a strange choice, because she wanted to act less for her kids. On the other, I loved her in Grey's Anatomy and she would make a great big sister after playing the little one for so long.

Me too. I pretty much stopped watching the show after she left.

anaron

Arrow and Flash's Glen Winter will be directing the pilot for Supergirl

"@Glen__Winter: Incredibly proud and humbled to be directing the #supergirl pilot!
Grateful to @GBerlanti @geoffjohns @AJKreisberg @AliAdler"

(from wiki)
In spring 2012, Winter signed on to another DC Comics produced series, Arrow. After starting as series cinematographer, he sieged to episode directing. His first effort was written by frequent collaborator, and DC Comics CCO, Geoff Johns entitled "Dead to Rights", which was met with fan and critical acclaim.[2] He went on to direct second season episodes "Broken Dolls", "Blind Spot", and "The Promise".[1]

He is currently pulling double duty on Arrow and it's spin-off The Flash, where he also serves as a director of photography and director.

He helmed Arrow's third season premiere, "The Calm".[3] He will next direct the tenth episode of the season "Left Behind".[4]

He directed The Flash's 4th episode, "Going Rogue", in which the supervillain Captain Cold is introduced. He next helmed the series' 8th installment, which features a crossover event with Arrow, "Flash vs. Arrow".

Joni

We got the very first pic from The Flash on the 28th of February, but Supergirl might be on a slower schedule. They originally planned The Flash pilot as an Arrow episode so they probably planned it around their Arrow planning back then. Supergirl is apart and already picked up, it might tape later.

anaron

MOM AND DAD

believe
oh I think Helen will definitely be her foster mom which is something I didn't consider but actually kinda love more.

I'm just so happy she's being included cuz I've been wanting her on the show the same way Shipp is on the flash but it didn't seem like there would be a viable slot after Benanti's casting.

now it feels complete :]

Subitai

oh I think Helen will definitely be her foster mom which is something I didn't consider but actually kinda love more.

I'm just so happy she's being included cuz I've been wanting her on the show the same way Shipp is on the flash but it didn't seem like there would be a viable slot after Benanti's casting.

now it feels complete :]
Yes, this is a very good omen. Shipp is killing it the few times he gets on screen.

Effect

MOM AND DAD

believe

Wouldn't put it past them. They did that with Flash. That or Jor-El and Lara in the flashbacks. Which is a nice reference as Dean Cain played Superman on Lois and Clark and Helen Slater player Supergirl in the past and Lara on Smallville. Or maybe even a Jonathan and Martha Kent appearance to show how close Kara might actually be with them and Superman.

anaron

So how is the cast list looking so far?
pretty damn great

fbkHhk7.jpg

unKuDLR.jpg

FJ6UQOy.jpg

HGLq2TM.jpg

SRbVhLe.jpg

c16RvEo.jpg

Penguin

Kind of weird/funny that so far the core cast doesn't feature a white male (I know Dean Cain, but we don't know the extent of his role yet)

Joni

I love how they cast some old DC superheroes again. It can heighten the speculation about these shows being the alternative universe to the original Flash/Supergirl/Lois and Clark universes.

anaron

I thought she dyed her hair? Or is this gonna be a brunette supergirl?
it's definitely lighter, but it looks like Supergirl will be wearing a wig when she's in costume and this will be her natural hair much like the linda danvers disguise

not sure how I feel yet if it plays that way

anaron

Filming starts tomorrow!

Tomorrow is a big milestone! Filming begins, and its not just us fans that are getting pretty excited! Glen Winter is directing the pilot and he's not wasted a second getting to know his actors. He sent this amazing tweet out tonight showing him and Melissa getting ready for the big day tomorrow!

XBdUGfH.jpg

As if that weren't enough, Melissa Benoist couldn't help herself with this reply:

nlr9YB9.jpg

Tonight is like Christmas Eve. The only way this would be better is if we could celebrate with the cast and crew tomorrow too, but alas, we are but fans. There's so much exciting news coming up soon too! We get to see the suit for the first time soon, we get to see previews, and trailers, artwork! There are plot twists, relationships, fights, flights and so much more and it all starts tomorrow! To Glen Winter, Ali Adler, Greg Berlanti, Andrew Kreisberg, Melissa Benoist, Mehcad Brooks, Jeremy Jordan, David Harewood, Laura Benanti, Chyler Leigh, Calista Flockhart, Helen Slater, and Dean Cain, we are so excited for this adventure, good luck and have fun!!!!!

we should be seeing the suit soon. :D

anaron

Peru

I hope they get the pacing right from the start. These shows never do. Doesn't mean you have to blow your load early on, just instil some nerve, some character development, not too much exposition.

I hope they get the pacing right from the start. These shows never do. Doesn't mean you have to blow your load early on, just instil some nerve, some character development, not too much exposition.

Flash has been pretty on point with its pacing in the first season.

How we not got a costume yet? Why are they being coy about the fact she's going to be Supergirl?

Weird.

First they make Superman a factor (albeit a small one, but still) and now they're playing peekaboo with her costume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom