• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Glee and Whiplash’s Melissa Benoist has been cast as Supergirl in upcoming CBS series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joni

Suppose this can be used as the most official topic.

TVLine said:
Kara Danvers née Zor-El will have her work cut out for her from the get-go, seeing as her adversary in the series pilot will be the DC Comics baddie
Lumberjack
. To that end, the CBS freshman is seeking a hulk akin to “Rory McCann, the 6-foot-6 actor from Game of Thrones” (pictured above) to play this
“big, burly monster of a man, who has battled Kara’s cousin” — that’d be you-know-who — “in the past” and shows up to ascertain her level of power, on behalf of an unseen superior.

A certain part of this description sounds quite bad. I also hope they don't go for someone akin to Rory McCann. They should go for the Rory McCann.

maxcriden

Based on the description I almost wonder if Superman will be the Charlie (of Charlie's Angels) of this show; referred to, maybe present off-screen, but never actually seen.

Based on the description I almost wonder if Superman will be the Charlie (of Charlie's Angels) of this show; referred to, maybe present off-screen, but never actually seen.

Oh, god. They just couldn't resist, could they? Unless he's dead, good luck finding a justification for him never appearing that doesn't feel incredibly forced.

maxcriden

Oh, god. They just couldn't resist, could they? Unless he's dead, good luck finding a justification for him never appearing that doesn't feel incredibly forced.

I mean, it's just a bit hard for me to picture that this is going to be a Supergirl show frequently guest-starring some version of Superman, because (a) that already will set the CBS DC-verse separate from the movie-verse because Henry Cavill surely won't be in the show, and (b) even if the above is already a factor or doesn't matter, it's just hard to believe Superman would be a secondary character in a TV show. Like, I have trouble picturing a Batgirl show where Batman actually pops up from time to time (or a Nightwing or Robin show), or an Arrow spin-off starring Black Canary where Arrow shows up regularly. It just seems like those instances would take away way too much spotlight from the protagonist.

I mean, it's just a bit hard for me to picture that this is going to be a Supergirl show frequently guest-starring some version of Superman, because (a) that already will set the CBS DC-verse separate from the movie-verse because Henry Cavill surely won't be in the show, and (b) even if the above is already a factor or doesn't matter, it's just hard to believe Superman would be a secondary character in a TV show. Like, I have trouble picturing a Batgirl show where Batman actually pops up from time to time (or a Nightwing or Robin show), or an Arrow spin-off starring Black Canary where Arrow shows up regularly. It just seems like those instances would take away way too much spotlight from the protagonist.

Better have him be a secondary character than to come up with some in-universe justification for why someone who's the protagonist's sole biological family on Earth and is constantly referenced in dialogue can never actually appear.

I mean, did anyone actually like the constant Avengers namedropping in SHIELD S1? This sounds like that, except worse.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Superman's name will never make it to air. It'll be like the Green Lantern/Stargirl name-drops they cut from The Flash Pilot.

Jarmel

Banned
Suppose this can be used as the most official topic.

A certain part of this description sounds quite bad. I also hope they don't go for someone akin to Rory McCann. They should go for the Rory McCann.

That sounds completely awful.

maxcriden

Better have him be a secondary character than to come up with some in-universe justification for why someone who's the protagonist's sole biological family on Earth and is constantly referenced in dialogue can never actually appear.

I mean, did anyone actually like the constant Avengers namedropping in SHIELD S1? This sounds like that, except worse.

It potentially sounds really silly to me, too, but if the show's good in and of itself, I'll be able to get past it. I just have a lot of trouble picturing a show being Supergirl with appearances by Superman without feeling like we're watching a show centered on a less exciting character with glimpses of a more exciting one. Of course, I'm not working on the show or anything so this is all baseless speculation, but food for thought I think. :)

Oregano

Well they are still weighing up whether or not to tie Supergirl to Arrowverse and that's already a different universe than the movies due to The Flash.

maxcriden

Well they are still weighing up whether or not to tie Supergirl to Arrowverse and that's already a different universe than the movies due to The Flash.

Haha, I realized that when I was writing my post, but thank you :) That's why I said the part about that potentially not being a factor.

How do you pronounce her name, like Chris Benoit? Or Ben-oh-ist?

I think if they ain't gonna give Jimmy red hair they should just keep Melissa as a brunette.....

GCQuinton

I can't remember if they changed it up the New 52 version or not, but generally Kara's origin was always that she was supposed to get to Earth before Clark, but essentially got stuck in space traffic.

If they changed that to where she actually did get here before Clark, he's still in the series as a kid and she's just checking on him every now and then. I could see that working.

anaron

melissa looking stunning at the spirit awards with her blonde hair

fbkHhk7.jpg

it looks great though I really hope they go lighter to the roots

TheOddOne

- Variety: Calista Flockhart Joins CBS’ ‘Supergirl’ Pilot as Series Regular
Calista Flockhart has been cast as a series regular in CBS’ “Supergirl” pilot, Variety has learned.

The “Brothers & Sisters” and “Ally McBeal” star will play Cat Grant, a self-made media magnate and founder of CatCo,
where Kara Zor-El (Melissa Benoist) works as her assistant. Cat started her career as a reporter and has built her company into a global powerhouse.

Pachimari

I really can't get used to her being Supergirl. I'll watch the show anyway, just because it's a superhero show. She looks super ugly to me but it will be her performance I'll judge of course, hopefully she and the show can win me over.

I'm curious to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom