• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$300 jeans on, does that mean we dream wrong? - Official Denimhead Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Alucrid said:
They're not stf so you won't need to do anything special since they're probably sanforized.

So I should just wear them right after purchase? How often do you guys recommend me wash them? Once every couple of months?

^ I would still soak them once you get them just to get every bit of shrinkage out. It's really just personal preference. Some people won't soak sanforized denim, while others will just to get rid of every bit of shrinkage that might be there.

Wash when it gets dirty/smelly is what I usually do. Don't wanna be wearing some stinky ass jeans around..

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
RapidCancel said:
^ I would still soak them once you get them just to get every bit of shrinkage out. It's really just personal preference. Some people won't soak sanforized denim, while others will just to get rid of every bit of shrinkage that might be there.

Wash when it gets dirty/smelly is what I usually do. Don't wanna be wearing some stinky ass jeans around..

Cold or warm water? I really appreciate this. Thanks.

charsace

Giant Robot said:
saw this on Yahoo this morning, via GQ.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/articles/yshoppingarticles/613/the-best-jeans-for-menthe-gq-denim-report/

Acne, Naked & Famous, Dior on the list among others like True Religion and 7 jeans.
They got some real duds on that list and others that I don't really know about. True Religion are duds. My brother has a few pair. They don't look good when they fade and his jeans are all tore up. He's wearing nudies now.

Acne and Dior are both great and have done collabs. Both companies make some great fits. I also love how Acnes fade.

Cross posted to the "What's in your bag" thread, but I've been meaning to post a pic of my bag for ages. Raw denim bag from Pure Blue Japan after being used for a little more than a year. 1 wash because a devil cat peed on it GRRRR.

Alucrid

Banned
nakedsushi said:
Cross posted to the "What's in your bag" thread, but I've been meaning to post a pic of my bag for ages. Raw denim bag from Pure Blue Japan after being used for a little more than a year. 1 wash because a devil cat peed on it GRRRR.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5223/5772919445_579e1f2818.jpg[img][/url][/QUOTE]

Awesome, although it seems like bags would be tough to fade, though I do see some on there. I love PBJs, especially their logo. Hope to get some 007s after my Samurais.

qcf x2

I'm snickering at myself for posting in this thread, but I need some new jeans and you guys are pretty much smarter than me when it comes to the topic.

Long story short I'm hoping you guys can provide me with online store(s) that have jeans for under $80. I don't need amazing, creative, quadruple hand stitched jeans with fabric from Mars....just stuff that looks good and requires low maintenance* :)

(side note: My style has changed a ton lately, so all the baggy shit I had stockpiled is no longer considered wearable to me. At the same time, I can't do the jeans that squeeze my legs. So I guess that puts me in the "relaxed fit" category.)

I'm 6'2, figure 185-190 lb, usually wear a size 36w.

*the only pair I have now that I don't hate are some buffalo david bittons that I got on sale for $50.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
qcf x2 said:
I'm snickering at myself for posting in this thread, but I need some new jeans and you guys are pretty much smarter than me when it comes to the topic.

Long story short I'm hoping you guys can provide me with online store(s) that have jeans for under $80. I don't need amazing, creative, quadruple hand stitched jeans with fabric from Mars....just stuff that looks good and requires low maintenance* :)

(side note: My style has changed a ton lately, so all the baggy shit I had stockpiled is no longer considered wearable to me. At the same time, I can't do the jeans that squeeze my legs. So I guess that puts me in the "relaxed fit" category.)

I'm 6'2, figure 185-190 lb, usually wear a size 36w.

*the only pair I have now that I don't hate are some buffalo david bittons that I got on sale for $50.

get some levis and call it a day

TxdoHawk

qcf x2 said:
Long story short I'm hoping you guys can provide me with online store(s) that have jeans for under $80.

Lots to choose from at that point, just don't expect much beyond the average.

Gap re-did their jeans somewhat within the last year or two, I have a dark pair in the Authentic fit and love them. Keep an eye out for a good sale. Levi's are of course the other obvious choice, I like their 514's (slim straight) although that may be a tad slim for your tastes.

Oh, and seriously consider buying in-store. At this price point, two pairs of jeans tagged in the same size can fit quite differently, thanks to shoddy quality control.

Nearly didn't buy them, but luckily my friend convinced me too. Gilt's sale price didn't hurt either:

e6b48dcf.jpg

Cotton/rayon blend, but they're a fantastic weight for summer. Just need them hemmed (they're a 33 inseam) and then I'll be good to go (I'm about a 28 inseam, but usually go with a 30 for cuffing).

Alucrid

Banned
TxdoHawk said:
Lots to choose from at that point, just don't expect much beyond the average.

Gap re-did their jeans somewhat within the last year or two, I have a dark pair in the Authentic fit and love them. Keep an eye out for a good sale. Levi's are of course the other obvious choice, I like their 514's (slim straight) although that may be a tad slim for your tastes.

Oh, and seriously consider buying in-store. At this price point, two pairs of jeans tagged in the same size can fit quite differently, thanks to shoddy quality control.

Too bad GAP fired the designed who actually made those 1969 jeans decent.

TxdoHawk

Alucrid said:
Too bad GAP fired the designed who actually made those 1969 jeans decent.

Whoops! So much for that, then. I guess Levi's it is. Oh, and if you live near one, Uniqlo has some nice jeans...but that's not likely.

Edit: More content for this post. What does GAF think of these Diors? They're a 34 and one of the models that are slightly stretchy. Should I have sized up to a 36, or will these eventually figure themselves out? You can see the whiskering in the waist is just a tad ridiculous at the moment, and they are a little too tight in the legs here and there.

IMG_0507.jpg

Meier

So I splurged and bought some 7 For All Mankind jeans last week.. they were on sale for $100 at Nordstrom Rack. I ended up getting their "Slimmy" fit which is unusual for me but I thought I'd give it a shot. I loved them in the store and they fit great but now I'm on the fence.

I have pretty muscular thighs and sitting down in them for an extended period of time seems like it isn't going to work very well. They're pretty tight in the thighs/behind the knee and kind of ride up in the crotch. Dammit. :(

TheExodu5

Banned
So, I just found out these really dark blue 1969 GAP jeans I had bought last year are raw denim. I haven't really worn them until today. Problem is, I think I washed them once around the time I first got them.

Are they recoverable? If so, how should I care for them?

I want to get a proper pair of raw denim jeans some day...I guess I might as well use this as a beta, for the time being.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
For those who own them, how is the fit on Uniqlo's denim? True to size? Looking at a pair of 34x30 on ebay, but I usually wear 32 waist. Wondering if it will be too large?

mooooose

I'm going to post pictures of my sammies tomorrow. They're a year and a half old and nearing their retirement as my regular jeans :( thinking come October I'll get a new pair and have a retirement/birthday party for my sammies...

Thinking about going with 710s or black 5ks... currently on indigo 5ks.

Wanna go into Blue in Greene with my sams and see if Gordon will recognize them haha.

fat pat

TheExodu5 said:
So, I just found out these really dark blue 1969 GAP jeans I had bought last year are raw denim. I haven't really worn them until today. Problem is, I think I washed them once around the time I first got them.

Are they recoverable? If so, how should I care for them?

I want to get a proper pair of raw denim jeans some day...I guess I might as well use this as a beta, for the time being.

what does the tag say? there should be a season and then a year number, like sum10, or hol09 or something. That will depend on what kind of fades and wear youre gonna get.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Meier said:
So I splurged and bought some 7 For All Mankind jeans last week.. they were on sale for $100 at Nordstrom Rack. I ended up getting their "Slimmy" fit which is unusual for me but I thought I'd give it a shot. I loved them in the store and they fit great but now I'm on the fence.

I have pretty muscular thighs and sitting down in them for an extended period of time seems like it isn't going to work very well. They're pretty tight in the thighs/behind the knee and kind of ride up in the crotch. Dammit. :(

Return them. You can get better quality for the same price, or pay around 40 bucks more and get APCs. I bought a pair of 7s 2 years ago and they deteriorated pretty quickly.

Also Sevens have been in fashion forever, at this point everyone has them.

Azzurri

I really need some new jeans, the last pair I bought were Nudi and Sevens over a year ago. The problem i have with shopping online is the fit, I need to actually go to the store and try them on. I guess it's time to go visit my sister in Chicago and hi
t up the stores.

fat pat

Hello Denim GAF. Ive finally officially joined your ranks. Ive had a slow wade in to this pool. Ive owned the japenese and the chinese GAP selvege, the japanese being a great pair of jeans, and the chinese being allright, but nowhere near worth their price.

I finally got myself my first pair of good raw denim, and can only see this spiralling out of control from here. I picked up a pair of naked and famous nep selvege slim guys tonight. Ive been wearing them for about an hour, and jesus are these things stiff. There a 12oz denim, are quite rigid so far. I cant even imagine wearing their 21oz denim. I look forward to breaking these things in and nerding out with you guys.

SolKane

nakedsushi said:

you carry a denim purse?

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
fat pat said:
Hello Denim GAF. Ive finally officially joined your ranks. Ive had a slow wade in to this pool. Ive owned the japenese and the chinese GAP selvege, the japanese being a great pair of jeans, and the chinese being allright, but nowhere near worth their price.

I finally got myself my first pair of good raw denim, and can only see this spiralling out of control from here. I picked up a pair of naked and famous nep selvege slim guys tonight. Ive been wearing them for about an hour, and jesus are these things stiff. There a 12oz denim, are quite rigid so far. I cant even imagine wearing their 21oz denim. I look forward to breaking these things in and nerding out with you guys.

Naked and famous softens up decently quick. I love my two pairs. I'm a raw denim noob too.

Guevara

Hey Denim GAF - are the current GAP Selvage any good for someone who has never bought selvage jeans before? They're pretty much always 30% off.

gp683782-00viv01.jpg

fat pat

Guevara said:
Hey Denim GAF - are the current GAP Selvage any good for someone who has never bought selvage jeans before? They're pretty much always 30% off.

gp683782-00viv01.jpg

these were my standard jeans for a while. The old ones that used japenese denim were fantastic jeans. The new ones are made in china and are still good because you can always get em on sale. The denim will get some fades on them if you hold out on washing them for a while, but theyre not raw. Theyre washed out the factory so they retain their color fairly well.

There is someone on reddit who is trying to argue that Wal-Mart jeans are better for the money than Levi's, and that Levi's are cheap rip-offs comparable to Budweiser as a beer.

looooool

h3ro

Guevara said:

gp683782-00viv01.jpg

Just picked up a pair of these. My first pair of Selvage jeans. Takes a while to get used to how stiff they are, but they look great. Great value for me as well.

I'm traveling to San Francisco in a few weeks and I'd like to check out some denim since I don't leave near any stores with good selection. Any recommendations about where I should go specifically in the Bay Area?

fat pat

prodystopian said:
I'm traveling to San Francisco in a few weeks and I'd like to check out some denim since I don't leave near any stores with good selection. Any recommendations about where I should go specifically in the Bay Area?

Hit up Self Edge. theyre at 714 Valencia St. @ 18th St. (Mission District). One of the best denim stores in the country. check out selfedge.com to see the stuff they carry.

fat pat said:
Hit up Self Edge. theyre at 714 Valencia St. @ 18th St. (Mission District). One of the best denim stores in the country. check out selfedge.com to see the stuff they carry.

Thanks, I was planning to hit them up. Any other recommendations welcome.

whitehawk

Banned
So a few weeks ago I got a nice pair of Guess Jeans. They are originally $110 but I got them for $50.

I haven't washed them yet and everything is good. Until yesterday when I made the mistake of wearing them to a sort of camping trip. Got a small grass stains and a bit of dirt on it. I think I'm gonna have to wash them now.

So basically when I wash them I should:

- Flip them inside out
- Wash with cold water
- Gentle mode in the wash
- Hang dry

Am I correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom