• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Actress Daniele Watts reported for lewd acts, goes nuts at police investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cartman86

Banned
These cops are fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked.

Considering one of the main reasons these things continue to happen is because of lack of accountability and proper handling of the officers I imagine they will be perfectly fine.

No, but if you are asked, everyone can go about their day quicker if you just comply. It's just an ID.

This is some amateur level government overreach apologetics. Perhaps it's time to read some basic legal and historical context for why it's wrong? Unless you want to grow up to be a totalitarian dick. It may be too late.

Rembrandt

Banned
Holy shit. that's absolutely terrible. I couldn't even imagine what she must have felt and still be feeling. that's fucked up. she's better make a pretty penny off this.

Sorian

Banned
Nope. My showing my ID doesn't help the officer in any way because I haven't done anything wrong. What does me showing them my ID as compared to telling them my name accomplish?

You can lie about your name and they get the opportunity to check if there are any warrants out for your arrest. That's literally the only point and look at it from their perspective, they know nothing about you other than the initial suspicion that brought them to talk to you, they don't just trust blindly. I'm also talking in general here, I'm aware the situation here doesn't make much sense with whats provided in the article.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
That is a fucked up mess right there.

The ID discussion is irrelevant to the conversation, imo. Let's focus on getting wrongfully accused for being a prostitute.

DOWN

Banned
Your an internet user and your name is very threatening. I can't say you're an extremely violent person who goes around firing tracking unsuspecting victims IP addresses, stalking them and then firing cannons at them. BUT I can't say you're not someone that does that either. I have no proof! Regardless, show me your ID or I'll arrest you and embarrases you in public for no other reason than I don't like your name.

Seems ridiculous doesn't it?

Yeah, so does what the cop here did.

Women gets arrested for being black. It's stupid as fuck.

This situation doesn't speak for being asked for an ID in general. In this case, it doesn't sound like she should have ever even been approached for any reason.

But under circumstances where the cops have reasonable suspicions and you are innocent, showing ID seems fine to me. Seeing my clean record is just one more thing to help weed through suspicions.

Eh, I guess it just seems fine to show ID most of the time to me. And that has little to do with what makes this case wrong. I think we know profiling is the big problem that started this case from what we can tell.

Rembrandt

Banned
You can lie about your name and they get the opportunity to check if there are any warrants out for your arrest. That's literally the only point and look at it from their perspective, they know nothing about you other than the initial suspicion that brought them to talk to you, they don't just trust blindly. I'm also talking in general here, I'm aware the situation here doesn't make much sense with whats provided in the article.

no.

DJKhaled

Because this is America.

a place with the most oppressive police in the western world.

it's funny all these "this is america" posts about how you don't have to show ID because 'merica and freedom and all that stuff. Yet, if Americans realised how the rest of the western world worked they would realise how oppressed they are.

Skelter

Banned
I enjoy how many people in here equate being asked to show ID to having all of your rights waived and bringing on nazi germany in america.

Are you white? Just curious. You're delusional if you think this isn't about race. Totally Nazi Germany man.

DOWN

Banned
That is a fucked up mess right there.

The ID discussion is irrelevant to the conversation, imo. Let's focus on getting wrongfully accused for being a prostitute.

I think somehow people are blending the two and then claiming that those discussing why they would show ID are blaming her in this specific case. That doesn't even make sense because she wasn't approached over ID, she was presumably profiled and accused of being a prostitute first.

a place with the most oppressive police in the western world.

it's funny all these "this is america" posts about how you don't have to show ID because 'merica and freedom and all that stuff. Yet, if Americans realised how the rest of the western world worked they would realise how oppressed they are.

I don't understand...are you saying that the poster is wrong and we have to show ID?

Infinite

Opening your mind to a different viewpoint to learn? Nah, fuck that.
They had no legal precedent to detain her, she wasn't under suspicion for any crime. Not complying to show your id shouldn't result in handcuffs. They probably wanted an easy collar and thought they could get it.

_Ryo_

This situation doesn't speak for being asked for an ID in general. In this case, it doesn't sound like she should have ever even been approached for any reason.

But under circumstances where the cops have reasonable suspicions and you are innocent, showing ID seems fine to me. Seeing my clean record is just one more thing to help weed through suspicions.

Eh, I guess it just seems fine to show ID most of the time to me. And that has little to do with what makes this case wrong. I think we know profiling is the big problem that started this case from what we can tell.

I think, if she were not sort of a celeb the cop would have continued to harass her even if she did show her ID. So what does showing the ID do? I mean, everyone has IDs so how would showing one prove or disprove she was a hooker anyway? The bottom line is that as an American and Californian citizen she has rights and they should not be halted because some asshole wants to powertrip.

WHaaaaaat? Innocent until proven guilty. Mere spontaneous suspicion doesn't give them a right to impede on hers.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
They had no legal precedent to detain her, she wasn't under suspicion for any crime. Not complying to showing your id shouldn't result in handcuffs. They probably wanted and easy collar and thought they could get it.

Prostitution?

Sheroking

Opening your mind to a different viewpoint to learn? Nah, fuck that.

What viewpoint?

Cop sees a black chick with a shaved head kissing a white man, in awkward/old clothing - profiles her as a potential prostitute. Harasses them without cause, and then detains her without legal reason.

The different viewpoint is obvious and shitty, I'll keep the one I have.

Sorian

Banned
They had no legal precedent to detain her, she wasn't under suspicion for any crime. Not complying to show your id shouldn't result in handcuffs. They probably wanted an easy collar and thought they could get it.

Well, regardless of how fucked up the reasoning was, it seems like she was.

watershed

Banned
Just another small drop in the ocean of disgusting police behavior. The saddest thing to me is that the people in power will continue to do nothing about police misconduct and brutality because, for the most part, the police continue to serve their interests.

No, s/he's saying that in most parts of the western world you won't get a gun point at you for something minor like making a quick movement.
And what does that have to do with anything? The guy was talking about the fact that in the US, you don't have to show ID.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
What evidence could they present that justifies detainment?

I dunno what the situation was, ask them. Not saying their assumption was correct since it obviously wasn't, but if they thought she was a prostitute then she was under suspicion for a crime.

What other reason would a white man have for kissing a colored?

Vb6tAYk.gif

Armaros

No, but if you are asked, everyone can go about their day quicker if you just comply. It's just your constitutional rights.

Fixed for accuracy

I dunno what the situation was, ask them. Not saying their assumption was correct since it obviously wasn't, but if they thought she was a prostitute then she was under suspicion for a crime.

No, that's not how it works, just because the police said they thought she was a prostitute does not constitute reasonable suspicion that she was one. That is circular logic. It would be the equivalent of the police detaining your because you went to the bank and they thought you were a bank robber with no other evidence to corroborator that.

What viewpoint?

Cop sees a black chick with a shaved head kissing a white man, in awkward/old clothing - profiles her as a potential prostitute. Harasses them without cause, and then detains her without legal reason.

The different viewpoint is obvious and shitty.

This. "Balance for balance's sake" is fucking retarded. People who do follow this line of thinking in response to these types of stories are indulging in idiocy, yet they would take offense to being called idiots.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Because the general sentiment is to stick it to the man and assert your rights against those who would try to oppress you. Yeah, this story is probably shit but we don't really get the other hundreds of news stories a day where the cop was in the right but had to deal with this hassle. If you have your ID on you, just how it. Raising suspicion on yourself over nothing seems pointless.

You may feel discrimination by a civil servant isn't a crime but it is. You are saying that people should wave their legal rights in the process of having a crime committed against you is no big deal. You're being fucking lazy and don't try to victim blame because other people are actually taking a stand to protect themselves against victimization.

_Isaac

You don't have to. It's your right not to show your ID. You have the right to remain silent and also to ask if you're free to leave if you're not being detained.

https://www.aclu.org/drug-law-refor...acial-justice/know-your-rights-what-do-if-you
http://www.flexyourrights.org/faqs/when-can-police-ask-for-id/

Some states have laws where you have to identify yourself, but only if you're detained (reasonable suspicion that you committed a crime). California is not one of those states.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_and_identify_statutes

220px-States_with_Stop_and_Identify_Laws.png

There are lots of reasons not to show your ID. Hypothetically: If you're Mexican-American in Arizona, for example, I imagine it might be irritating and insulting to be stopped for being Mexican and to be asked to prove you're a citizen. This was a huge thing recently with the "papers please" laws Arizona tried to pass.

In this case, Daniele Watts had no reason to provide her identity, as she was doing nothing wrong and simply living her life like a normal person.

This is good to know. I've always wondered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom