• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Actress Daniele Watts reported for lewd acts, goes nuts at police investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
That is a fucked up mess right there.

The ID discussion is irrelevant to the conversation, imo. Let's focus on getting wrongfully accused for being a prostitute.
Not exactly irrelevant to the conversation. She might have been proving a point by refusing to provide identification. But the outcome would have been different if she had. They would not have detained her.

Yukiari

Not exactly irrelevant to the conversation. She might have been proving a point by refusing to provide identification. But the outcome would have been different if she had. They would not have detained her.

Or maybe they would of. They let her go once they found out who she was. But if she was a nobody perhaps they would of held on to her.

lednerg

No I understand that. It's just boggling that the first thing certain Gaffers reach for is Nazi Germany as a comparison, when it's not the case at all.

Only in certain states is ID law enforced.

But even in those states, identifying yourself is only required when you're being detained. The cops in this situation had it completely backwards, detaining her for not showing ID. (as far as we know)

And nowhere in America are you required to have ID on you, unless you're driving.

Eh, you don't know that. I've been carded and detained in the back of a police car before for an hour plus for absolutely nothing. When they sacked my car and found nothing, they still decided to bring on the dog. Then again I'm black.

Two Words

And the poster you quoted pointed out the irony of having one small freedom in the face of other more oppressive behaviors.

That's still confusing to me. Not for this case in particular as she was just totally being harassed it seems, but in general. What's so great about not showing your ID? Telling me it's my right doesn't make me think "Oh wow. How glamorous that I can say no and make this much harder for both of us."

Like what's so bad about showing ID that people keep saying 'well, it's your right not to' as if that gives me any idea why I'd exercise that right when it seems like it can indeed become very inconvenient.

It seems like people are making it out to be a bigger right than it sounds like to me.
Because this isn't City 17.

Dead Man

There is no moral obligation to appease people who will question you for kissing your husband.

10401893_817284421637791_4774750990207734051_n.jpg

Fucking scum sucking fuckwits.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
How she could have appeased the cop is irrelevant to the conversation.

goddamnit
Notice that I didn't say that she had to appease the cops. I just think it's a relevant aspect of the dialogue. The fact that people are forming strong opinions about that aspect of the story is evidence of that.

Eh, you don't know that. I've been carded and detained in the back of a police car before for an hour plus for absolutely nothing. When they sacked my car and found nothing, they still decided to bring on the dog. Then again I'm black.
They were probably crapping themselves after they found out who it was.

I feel like there's a lot of context missing here.

Why would the police single her and her husband out?

What was the prostitute's description?

Why did it take cops way too long to figure out they were a couple?

Were the cops following up on a call or a lead?

Also, comparisons to the California Police Force and Nazi Germany are over the top hyperbole.

Studio city is a wealthy area and mostly white. The cops probably figured a black person was a poor criminal.

_Ryo_

I don't think it's reasonable, I'm just saying if they thought she was committing a crime then isn't that being under suspicion of committing a crime?

I don't think she should have gotten handcuffed or anything, but what is the normal procedure for attempting to arrest a prostitute after making contact with someone? Aside from the person being someone the police have picked up before / someone being in a 'high traffic' area for prostitution, what reasoning do the cops have for ever detaining a possible prostitute?

You're not that dense are you? Agreeing to have intercourse in exchange for monetary gain is reasoning for being a possible prostitute.

She did not agree to have sex for monetary gains and they had no reason to suspect that she did. She kissed her husband which is not grounds for suspecting someone of having agreed to sex for monetary gains.

It's pretty simple.

Dead Man

You're not that dense are you? Agreeing to have intercourse in exchange for monetary gain is reasoning for being a possible prostitute.

She did not agree to have sex for monetary gains and they had to reason to suspect that she did. She kissed her husband which is not grounds for suspecting someone of having agreed to sex for monetary gains.

It's pretty simple.

No, no, no. She is guilty until proven innocent, and should be willing to jump through every hoop required by power tripping arseholes to do so.

3phemeral

That's still confusing to me. Not for this case in particular as she was just totally being harassed it seems, but in general. What's so great about not showing your ID? Telling me it's my right doesn't make me think "Oh wow. How glamorous that I can say no and make this much harder for both of us."

Like what's so bad about showing ID that people keep saying 'well, it's your right not to' as if that gives me any idea why I'd exercise that right when it seems like it can indeed become very inconvenient.

It seems like people are making it out to be a bigger right than it sounds like to me.

You're operating under the assumption that they would have stopped at requesting her ID when they already had a suspicion of guilt with no plausible evidence and thus, this happens. Exactly how far would you go to appease the cops? Show ID? Allow them to cuff you and drive to the station? Fingerprint you? It gets messy.

The point is, the cops should already be well aware of what the law is (that's their specialty). The fact that they don't or that they ignore it is alarming.

She should learn to stop being black in this country like me.

I stay ashamed of my blackness like society wants me to be and stay inside most of the time where I can't subject white people to my blackness.

Valhelm

contribute something
I feel like there's a lot of context missing here.

Why would the police single her and her husband out?

What was the prostitute's description?

Why did it take cops way too long to figure out they were a couple?

Were the cops following up on a call or a lead?

Also, comparisons to the California Police Force and Nazi Germany are over the top hyperbole.

It seems that this is similar to the Wal-Mart shooting, but much less disastrous. A paranoid and probably white racist called the police because he or she assumed Ms. Watts was a prostitute. She probably didn't expect a young white dude to be married to a Black woman.

The police came and accosted Ms. Watts without gauging the situation. Most likely, they held the same racist sentiments as the person who made the call, or were operating with an "arrest first, ask questions later" mindset.

Ah, to be black in America.

Prostitute, drug dealer, thief. Common assumptions when stopped by police. Shameful stuff for a country that supposedly celebrates freedoms and all that.

Armaros

No I understand that. It's just boggling that the first thing certain Gaffers reach for is Nazi Germany as a comparison, when it's not the case at all.

Only in certain states is ID law enforced.

Even in the states with "stop and ID" laws, that only applies with reasonable suspicion.

A black woman kissing a white man is not that.

_Ryo_

Reading the husbands comments, it appears not only did the cops harass her but some racist called the cops on the couple because well,

"why would a white man kiss a black girl unless he is a gross sex addict and needed immediate satisfaction and she was right there already ? "

This shit is maddening. Fuck racists.

Valhelm

contribute something
Reading the husbands comments, it appears not only did the cops harass her but some racist called the cops on the couple because well,

"why would a white man kiss a black girl unless he is a gross sex addict and needed immediate satisfaction and she was right there already ? "

This shit is maddening. Fuck racists.

This seems to be the case in a lot of these instances. The police might not be actively, deliberately bigoted, but are instead perpetuating systematic racism by blindly responding to paranoid calls.

Two Words

I don't get how people don't see the Nazi comparison. "Show me your papers!" Who did you imagine saying that? A nazi, most likely.

police don't know they're racist, just like dogs don't know that Beggin Strips aren't bacon.

You know I've always been pretty sure most dogs can tell the difference between beggin strips and bacon, they just like both because they're dogs

I don't get how people don't see the Nazi comparison. "Show me your papers!" Who did you imagine saying that? A nazi, most likely.

The problem is people assume when you compare it to Nazi Germany, you compare it to every aspect of what the Nazi regime did in Germany instead of the very real, very salient comparison solely to the fact that Nazis checked jewish citizens/gypsies etc. papers and required stars of davids on jewish clothing based entirely on racial/ethnic/religious profiling

As has been said, she should explore a suit against the police dept. Something needs to be done to show that this type of harassment is unacceptable and won't be tolerated.

It's also a shame that even on progressive GAF, there are always a few people that refuse to take racial minorities' rights seriously.

smurfx

get some go again
oh it must have been fun down at the station when they found out she was a famous actress and this story was hitting the internet. don't think much of anything will come of this though other than fake sincere apologies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Studio City? Sounds like the name of a made-up GTA city.

Do you not have to show ID if a police officer asks you? Genuine question.

In California? Not necessarily, but by law the police can "detain" you until they can verify who you are.

So, no you don't have to but you'll just end up in handcuffs if you don't show them. I think this situation is pretty messed up. Personally, I'd just show my ID so I can go about my day, and this is coming from someone who was "detained" at gunpoint by the police (mistaken identify.)

Toparaman

Banned
I'm so outraged right now! Fuck the police coming straight from the underground! A young brother got it bad cause I'm brown. And not the other color, so police think they have the authority to kill a minority! Fuck that shit, cause I ain't the one, for a punk motherfucker with a badge and a gun to be beating on. And thrown in jail? We can go toe to toe in the middle of a cell! Fuck the police cause I'm a teenager with a little bit of gold and a pager.

Two Words

Remember that episode of Fresh Pribce when that racist cops arrests Uncle Phil and Will for false charges and denies them their proper dues, and at the end he finds out that Uncle Phil is a judge? I hope those cops experienced a moment like that when they saw this hit the news.

Log4Girlz

No, no, no. She is guilty until proven innocent, and should be willing to jump through every hoop required by power tripping arseholes to do so.

Blacks are guilty until proven innocent, even when no crime is committed, one can be made up. Its horrible.

Valhelm

contribute something
It does, but it also helps brings more light to this quite shameful event.

Agreed! It's a shame that Daniele Watts gets attention for being harassed when so many other Black people don't, but this raises awareness for the issue and could lead to better police work in the future.

They are an INTER-RACIAL couple, why were they showing affection in public?? Isn't it bad enough they are together? We have laws against this in the south.

police don't know they're racist, just like dogs don't know that Beggin Strips aren't bacon.

Lol thanks for that, I needed a good chuckle after reading through everything. I didn't see anyone post it so I thought I'd share what Daniele wrote on her Facebook page about the experience. As others have mentioned due to her somewhat celeb status she could potentially play a role in motivating some change/awareness in all this,

"As I was sitting in the back of the police car, I remembered the countless times my father came home frustrated or humiliated by the cops when he had done nothing wrong," wrote Watts. "I felt his shame, his anger, and my own feelings of frustration for existing in a world where I have allowed myself to believe that “authority figures” could control my BEING… my ability to BE!!!!!!!"

Why am I not surprised that the usual police defenders appear?

Why am I not surprised that shit like this incident (and the guy that got arrested and missed the Emmy celebrations) continue to happen?

Why am I not surprised that people are bending themselves into knots (again) trying to see "another perspective" of what happened?

Got dammit, I am getting numb to this shit and that is a bad thing. :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom