• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Treasury Secretary to announce Hamilton can keep the $10, let's change the $20

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDreamer

"The soonest that a new $20 note will be issued is 2030," the source said, citing a lengthy process convened by the Advanced Counterfeit Deterrence steering committee, which includes representatives from the U.S. Secret Service, the Treasury, and the Federal Reserve.

So... around when almost literally no one will be using cash anymore?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Those pressures led Lew to determine that Hamilton should remain on the front of the bill. Instead, a mural-style depiction of the women's suffrage movement -- including images of leaders such as Susan B. Anthony -- will be featured on the back of the bill.

The $5 bill will retain Abraham Lincoln on the front, with plans to change the back to include a mural of prominent activities that have taken place at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington.

Sounds good to me.

It takes nearly 15 years to change a bill? And because of the counterfeiting issues? Wouldn't that mean whatever tech they're proposing would be around 15 years old once it actually hits circulation? Am I not understanding correctly?

I am pleasantly surprised to hear this.

No more Jackson sounds great. Now if we can just get rid of Jefferson on currency and monuments.

Harriet Tubman would be a fantastic replacement for Jackson. She was an amazing person and played a uniquely important role in the history of the United States.

Also, keeping Hamilton is the least they could do. The man deserves to be better remembered for how fucking important he was to the founding of the US.

Supast4r

Is there a good reason that grant is still on the fifth? He is the one of the worst presidents in history, he had one of the biggest corruption scandals, why is he on money? We already have Abe for civil war representation. I would like Grant replaced with FDR

Is there a good reason that grant is still on the fifth? He is the one of the worst presidents in history, he had one of the biggest corruption scandals, why is he on money? We already have Abe for civil war representation. I would like Grant replaced with FDR
FDR got the dime yo and the GOP already tried to switch that to Reagan.

johnsmith

remember me
giphy.gif

Sean C

It takes nearly 15 years to change a bill? And because of the counterfeiting issues? Wouldn't that mean whatever tech they're proposing would be around 15 years old once it actually hits circulation? Am I not understanding correctly?
No, they just have fixed cycles for issuing new currency series. The next round $20s will be in 2030.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom