• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Treasury Secretary to announce Hamilton can keep the $10, let's change the $20

Status
Not open for further replies.

HUELEN10

Kennedy was a terrible president keep him off of money

He was the last man brave enough to stand against the Fed, and then he went to Dallas and never return.

Since then, no president has dared cross the Fed.

The man was old enough to know, yet young enough to do...

I am pleasantly surprised to hear this.

No more Jackson sounds great. Now if we can just get rid of Jefferson on currency and monuments.

Harriet Tubman would be a fantastic replacement for Jackson. She was an amazing person and played a uniquely important role in the history of the United States.

Also, keeping Hamilton is the least they could do. The man deserves to be better remembered for how fucking important he was to the founding of the US.

And Jefferson doesn't?

I'd replace Jackson with an American Indian woman.

Matsukaze

Grant was a far better President than he gets credit for. The United States as far as race relations go would be in a much better place if he hadn't been actively plotted against and than progress he made undone by people who wanted to get things back to how they were before the war regardless of the costs.

The image of a drunk do nothing is nothing more than Southern Historian revisionist history to continue the process of making the South out to be the victim of the evil North.
The corruption charges really haven't gone away, but there's no doubt that the Lost Cause crowd put him in their crosshairs and tore his already vulnerable reputation to shreds.

Grace Hopper, GW Carver, Neil Armstrong, Carl Sagan, Mark Twain, Richard Feynmann....

These are the types of people we should have on our money.

Can we replace him with another famous Jackson without a terrible past?

Jermaine-Jackson-hair.jpg

Matsukaze

Grace Hopper, GW Carver, Neil Armstrong, Carl Sagan, Mark Twain, Richard Feynmann....

These are the types of people we should have on our money.
I'd be fine with any of these.

I think it'd be cool to put Elizabeth Van Lew on a bill, but I'm sure the South might cause a fuss about that.

antonz

That Southern retelling of history. When the whole "lost cause" movement began in earnest in the United States trying to paint the South as sympathetic that was when Grant suddenly became such a horrible person. He is not without fault. He appointed a lot of crooked individuals to his cabinet but if you want to talk about a person who while flawed had good intentions Grant certainly fits the bill and America would be a MUCH better place today if his policies had been kept

Grant played a big role in creating the Department of Justice in order to pursue justice for freed Slaves and to make sure they were not violated of their new found rights. He actively had the KKK prosecuted

Used the US Army to force compliance with Civil Rights laws etc. African-Americans were elected to congress, held Governorships etc. Which after Southerners regained their power in government quickly squashed and reversed pretty much all the efforts at unification Grant put in place.

It would take nearly 70 years before we would see another President stand up for principles Grant was fighting for as President.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Kennedy was a terrible president keep him off of money

He was? I'm curious to know more about this. I've only heard good things of his short presidency.

EpaXWlY.jpg

Fringe had it right

Haha, I remember this. There was even a bill or coin with JFK. And he wasn't assassinated in that timeline. Also the Statue of Liberty has a badass color and we still have zeppelins. Best timeline.

Honestly, Hamilton was awesome, but I don't think he particularly needs to be on a piece of currency, especially not if hack extraordinaire Lin-Manuel Miranda wants him there.

$1 Washington
$5 Lincoln
$10 Mark Twain
$20 Harriet Tubman
$50 Squanto or Sitting Bull
$100 Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chichikov

Good.
Fuck Jackson.
But honestly, I kinda wish we stopped putting politicians on bills, there are a ton of well respected americans who are as deserving if not most, and why make our currency politically dividing?
I mean, I like FDR but I understand why someone wouldn't want him on their money, like, would you like a Reagan bill?
(I'm not saying I think they're similar in terms of importance, but there are people who do think that, and why even go there?).

He was? I'm curious to know more about this. I've only heard good things of his short presidency.
He brought humanity closest that it ever been to wiping itself out for no fucking good reason. The Cuban missile crisis is enough to list him as one of the worst presidents ever in my book.
He wasn't great on other things, he sold out the freedom riders and was mostly talk about civil rights (at least until his hand forced) and he was terrible on Vietnam (every president from Truman to Nixon share some of blame for Vietnam, but JFK was probably the only one who actually thought it was a good idea to get involved in that mess).

Shit tier president who is only remembered fondly because he was charismatic and died in office.

Sean C

Grant was a far better President than he gets credit for. The United States as far as race relations go would be in a much better place if he hadn't been actively plotted against and than progress he made undone by people who wanted to get things back to how they were before the war regardless of the costs.

The image of a drunk do nothing is nothing more than Southern Historian revisionist history to continue the process of making the South out to be the victim of the evil North.
I agree that Grant wasn't as bad as he's been portrayed at some points in history (hence, his reputation being revised upward of late, though still ranked relatively low). But if you're listing great presidents on money, there's a bunch of people who should probably be on it before him.

Why do we need two reps from the civil war on money and grant wasn't that good of a general and he was in tons of illegal fraud as a president. Why is he on money? He can/should be replaced by someone who did more for this country (Eisenhower, FDR, Wilson come to mind)
Grant was a terrific general. The notion that he wasn't was fed by Lost Cause historians eager to denigrate the man who beat them.

Grant was a shite, super corrupt president.

While I respect the courage and bravery of our servicemen and women, I much prefer to celebrate people for their moral and not martial superiority.
Grant wasn't personally corrupt. He had bad judgement in subordinates, though.

in b4 a bunch of southerners start stockpiling Jackson bills

can't wait to hear about this from some people in the office on monday

Good.
Fuck Jackson.
But honestly, I kinda wish we stopped putting politicians on bills, there are a ton of well respected americans who are as deserving if not most, and why make our currency politically dividing?
I mean, I like FDR but I understand why someone wouldn't want him on their money, like, would you like a Reagan bill?
(I'm not saying I think they're similar in terms of importance, but there are people who do think that, and why even go there?).

He brought humanity closest that it ever been to wiping itself out for no fucking good reason. The Cuban missile crisis is enough to list him as one of the worst presidents ever in my book.
He wasn't great on other things, he sold out the freedom riders and was mostly talk about civil rights (at least until his hand forced) and he was terrible on Vietnam (every president from Truman to Nixon share some of blame for Vietnam, but JFK was probably the only one who actually thought it was a good idea to get involved in that mess).

Shit tier president who is only remembered fondly because he was charismatic and died in office.

McNamara says in The Fog of War that he thinks, based on his experiences with the two men, that Kennedy would have kept Vietnam far more limited than it ended up being under LBJ, who buckled under the weight of the political pressure to flex American muscle (something also mentioned by a talking head in the great PBS series "Vietnam: A Television War"), and this would have freed his hand to more aggressively pursue needed reforms in America without having his political capital drained on that whole mess. Don't know if I buy it, but it's an interesting thought.

Chichikov

Grant was a terrific general. The notion that he wasn't was fed by Lost Cause historians eager to denigrate the man who beat them.
Yeah.
Grant, in the great American tradition of military leaders excelled in logistics, administration and management of supply lines.
And I don't mean it as a backhanded compliment, not at all, wars are usually won by logistics rather than crazy feints and creative tactical movements.

On the tactical level I think pretty much all Civil War generals were awful, they were using tactics that were questionable for the musket area and should've been obsolete with the introduction of the rifle.
McNamara says in The Fog of War that he thinks, based on his experiences with the two men, that Kennedy would have kept Vietnam far more limited than it ended up being under LBJ, who buckled under the weight of the political pressure to flex American muscle (something also mentioned by a talking head in the great PBS series "Vietnam: A Television War"), and this would have freed his hand to more aggressively pursue needed reforms in America without having his political capital drained on that whole mess. Don't know if I buy it, but it's an interesting thought.
No one wanted to get bogged down in a full blown war down there.
But it is very well documented that LBJ wanted nothing with Vietnam and he only pursued it because he didn't want to be "the first US president to lose a war*". Now yeah, he did a terrible job managing it, and while he mostly was listening to (terrible) advice from people telling him they can totally win that war as a president he can't be excused for that.
We also know that JFK really believed that those Asian post-colonial civil wars posed serious threat to the US (which is of course bullshit) and we know he loved the CIA and those clowns did pushed for US involvement in the region. And again, Vietnam was a clusterfuck decades in the making, but I think more than any president, JFK is responsible for the US getting involved the way it did (I guess you can also make the case for Truman).

* Because we don't talk about 1812, plus it was like totally a tie. Fucking Canada, first you burn the white house then you try to take credit for Ben Affleck single-handedly saving all those hostages.

Edit:
Oh shit, I forgot I made that gif a while ago -
SrAXP0P.gif

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
A lot of the arguments for this resolve around the $10 not being important enough, when it seems like the better reason is that Andrew Jackson was a complete asshole who doesn't deserve any recognition.

The only reason to have that guy on any currency is as some sort of passive aggressive insult for him not liking the idea of paper/fiat currency.

Bloomers

finally.

Now we can get Donald Trump on the bill-- a true white supremacist representative of my country's god-given greatness.

smurfx

get some go again
i think the 20 needs to change the person every couple of years. they should only have famous u.s women at first and maybe have other historical figures like mlk on it later on.

Yeah.
Grant, in the great American tradition of military leaders excelled in logistics, administration and management of supply lines.
And I don't mean it as a backhanded compliment, not at all, wars are usually won by logistics rather than crazy feints and creative tactical movements.

On the tactical level I think pretty much all Civil War generals were awful, they were using tactics that were questionable for the musket area and should've been obsolete with the introduction of the rifle.

No one wanted to get bogged down in a full blown war down there.
But it is very well documented that LBJ wanted nothing with Vietnam and he only pursued it because he didn't want to be "the first US president to lose a war*". Now yeah, he did a terrible job managing it, and while he mostly was listening to (terrible) advice from people telling him they can totally win that war as a president he can't be excused for that.
We also know that JFK really believed that those Asian post-colonial civil wars posed serious threat to the US (which is of course bullshit) and we know he loved the CIA and those clowns did pushed for US involvement in the region. And again, Vietnam was a clusterfuck decades in the making, but I think more than any president, JFK is responsible for the US getting involved the way it did (I guess you can also make the case for Truman).

* Because we don't talk about 1812, plus it was like totally a tie. Fucking Canada, first you burn the white house then you try to take credit for Ben Affleck single-handedly saving all those hostages.

Edit:
Oh shit, I forgot I made that gif a while ago -
SrAXP0P.gif

Yeah, I know all that, and Kennedy has his flaws, but when the closest defense adviser to both men says one would have had the strength of character and political charisma to resist getting pulled into the absolute clusterfuck that Vietnam ended up becoming after Tonkin, well, that's not a slam-dunk, but it's worth noting, and considering the general wisdom of his perspective on the war throughout the rest of that (extremely great) movie, I do tend to buy it.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I couldn't complain with someone like Harriet Tubman or MLK on the $20 bill. It is a bit embarrassing to have nothing but old white dudes on our money, and a bit disrespectful...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I couldn't complain with someone like Harriet Tubman or MLK on the $20 bill. It is a bit embarrassing to have nothing but old white dudes on our money, and a bit disrespectful...

They'll pick MLK, Harriet Tubman or Elanor Roosevelt. Though, if they want a woman it'll either be Tubman or Roosevelt.

antonz

Would not mind seeing Hamilton disappear either. He certainly played a large role in establishing the financial institutions of this country but he would fit right in with the cronyism of the modern banking institution without much effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom