• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Treasury Secretary to announce Hamilton can keep the $10, let's change the $20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grant was a far better President than he gets credit for. The United States as far as race relations go would be in a much better place if he hadn't been actively plotted against and than progress he made undone by people who wanted to get things back to how they were before the war regardless of the costs.

The image of a drunk do nothing is nothing more than Southern Historian revisionist history to continue the process of making the South out to be the victim of the evil North.

No Grant was not a very good president.

That being said, he's an American hero for saving the union. Very few presidents can top the legacy he left behind.

Ecotic

No one wanted to get bogged down in a full blown war down there.
But it is very well documented that LBJ wanted nothing with Vietnam and he only pursued it because he didn't want to be "the first US president to lose a war*". Now yeah, he did a terrible job managing it, and while he mostly was listening to (terrible) advice from people telling him they can totally win that war as a president he can't be excused for that.
We also know that JFK really believed that those Asian post-colonial civil wars posed serious threat to the US (which is of course bullshit) and we know he loved the CIA and those clowns did pushed for US involvement in the region. And again, Vietnam was a clusterfuck decades in the making, but I think more than any president, JFK is responsible for the US getting involved the way it did (I guess you can also make the case for Truman).

I don't agree with any of this, and I've had to write very extensively about JFK and the Vietnam War. Put very simply Kennedy kept advisers in Vietnam as a concession to the hawks in his party because he had given too much ground everywhere else and he wanted those advisers gone after the 1964 election. Kennedy had appeared weak at too many other times such as not invading Cuba during the Bay of Pigs, withdrawing missiles from Turkey, the Berlin Wall coming up, and a bad appearance with Khrushchev at Vienna. He couldn't cede more ground to charges that he was weak, but he had made plans to withdraw those advisers after the election. James K. Galbraith later confirmed this plan existed (http://bostonreview.net/us/galbraith-exit-strategy-vietnam), and Johnson's National Security Adviser Francis Bator later confirmed this plan remained in place at Kennedy's death. In recordings Johnson and McNamara spoke at length as though they are reversing Kennedy's decision to withdraw from Vietnam.

Kennedy loved the CIA in the sense that he had a fascination with espionage (he had read all the Bond novels) but this made him more skeptical of CIA claims, not less. He was aware of how deceptive that organization could be to achieve their agenda and had been burned badly by the Bay of Pigs. Kennedy also had a well known skepticism of the military that began in his WWII service days. During the Cuban Missile Crisis he believed in his own judgment and not what the military and the CIA was telling him. If Kennedy had anything it was the willpower to go against the intelligentsia of the day and follow his own judgment, as the Bay of Pigs and the Cuban Missile Crisis showed.

What escalated Vietnam to a full-blown war with 500,000 troops was the Gulf of Tonkin incident and Johnson. That man was unbelievably uncurious about foreign affairs and bought everything the military or CIA told him. Many members of Congress were so stunned that Johnson escalated the war (in their eyes, unexpectedly) to the degree that he did that they passed the War Powers Act of 1973 in response.

He brought humanity closest that it ever been to wiping itself out for no fucking good reason. The Cuban missile crisis is enough to list him as one of the worst presidents ever in my book.

Can you elaborate on this? Kennedy and his team were about the only people in the room not calling for very hardline tactics like bombing Cuba that would have resulted in World War 3.

$1 - Washington
$2 - Jefferson
$5 - Lincoln
$10 - John F Kennedy
$20 - Eleanor Roosevelt
$50 - FDR
$100 - Benjamin Franklin
$500 - Frederick Douglass

THAT is how it should be IMO.

I'm down with this. Though I'd swap JFK and Jefferson.

I also wish we had more bills, so we could get MLK on one.

I'm down with this. Though I'd swap JFK and Jefferson.

I also wish we had more bills, so we could get MLK on one.
The easiest solution is to have some bills with several figures together. That'd free up space for Astronauts, Scientists, Engineers, Activists and maybe even American scenery (lord knows the USA is geographical beauty) or other iconic moments/figures. Mt. Rushmore alone covers Washington, Teddy, Lincoln and Jefferson. The Moon Landing and the iconic flag raising at Iwo Jima would be dope (I guess the latter probably can't happen without pissing off the Japanese). Franklin Delano Roosevelt should be on our bills dammit.

6a012876c6c7fb970c01b7c78bee01970b-500wi

The easiest solution is to have some bills with several figures together. That'd free up space for Astronauts, Scientists, Engineers, Activists and maybe even American scenery (lord knows the USA is geographical beauty) or other iconic moments/figures. Mt. Rushmore alone covers Washington, Teddy, Lincoln and Jefferson. The Moon Landing and the iconic flag raising at Iwo Jima would be dope (I guess the latter probably can't happen without pissing off the Japanese). Franklin Delano Roosevelt should be on our bills dammit.

Agreed, it's criminal that FDR isn't on one. One with the Apollo 11 crew arranged around the lunar lander would be great, with Alan Shephard and the Freedom 7 on the back (I mean come on, that spacecraft nickname is a perfect for US currency).

Have Tesla on the front of another bill with Einstein on the back, even if his most well known work wasn't done in the US.

You could compress Washington, Jefferson, and Franklin together onto the $1 bill, going with a theme of the foundation of the country/economy.

The only reason I could think of why Jackson was even put on a bill, was solely to spit on his grave. He hated the banks, him being on the $20 must have been a jab at him.

Clockwork5

It takes nearly 15 years to change a bill? And because of the counterfeiting issues? Wouldn't that mean whatever tech they're proposing would be around 15 years old once it actually hits circulation? Am I not understanding correctly?

It's not like they come up with the design then sit on it for 15 years.

MGrant

Female picks you could get behind? I could see:

Harriet Tubman
Susan B. Anthony
Abigail Adams
Eleanor Roosevelt
Emily Dickinson
Sojourner Truth
Sacagawea

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I don't agree with any of this, and I've had to write very extensively about JFK and the Vietnam War. Put very simply Kennedy kept advisers in Vietnam as a concession to the hawks in his party because he had given too much ground everywhere else and he wanted those advisers gone after the 1964 election. Kennedy had appeared weak at too many other times such as not invading Cuba during the Bay of Pigs, withdrawing missiles from Turkey, the Berlin Wall coming up, and a bad appearance with Khrushchev at Vienna. He couldn't cede more ground to charges that he was weak, but he had made plans to withdraw those advisers after the election. James K. Galbraith later confirmed this plan existed (http://bostonreview.net/us/galbraith-exit-strategy-vietnam), and Johnson's National Security Adviser Francis Bator later confirmed this plan remained in place at Kennedy's death. In recordings Johnson and McNamara spoke at length as though they are reversing Kennedy's decision to withdraw from Vietnam.

Kennedy loved the CIA in the sense that he had a fascination with espionage (he had read all the Bond novels) but this made him more skeptical of CIA claims, not less. He was aware of how deceptive that organization could be to achieve their agenda and had been burned badly by the Bay of Pigs. Kennedy also had a well known skepticism of the military that began in his WWII service days. During the Cuban Missile Crisis he believed in his own judgment and not what the military and the CIA was telling him. If Kennedy had anything it was the willpower to go against the intelligentsia of the day and follow his own judgment, as the Bay of Pigs and the Cuban Missile Crisis showed.

What escalated Vietnam to a full-blown war with 500,000 troops was the Gulf of Tonkin incident and Johnson. That man was unbelievably uncurious about foreign affairs and bought everything the military or CIA told him. Many members of Congress were so stunned that Johnson escalated the war (in their eyes, unexpectedly) to the degree that he did that they passed the War Powers Act of 1973 in response.

Can you elaborate on this? Kennedy and his team were about the only people in the room not calling for very hardline tactics like bombing Cuba that would have resulted in World War 3.

Thank you for the elaborations. It surprises me to see people say that Kennedy brought the world close to destruction, considering every single military and CIA advisor was telling to essentially begin WW3 while he stood his ground. Would love to read more of your work.

On racial topics, while I'm not very educated on how much he did, I always found the fact that he sent the National Guard to allow 2 black students to enter a college, while also delivering a great speech something important of his character. Now I'm not sure if he was pressured to do such thing, so I'd like to know more.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
They should replace it every 10 years on the 20. Should be Martin Luther King Jr IMO.

I also feel like Kennedy should get on a bill. Would be nice to have him on the 5 for a few years until the penny is deprecated then put Lincoln back on the 5

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Why were they going after Hamilton anyway? Jackson was always the obvious one to replace. Being a monster and all.

Grace Hopper, GW Carver, Neil Armstrong, Carl Sagan, Mark Twain, Richard Feynmann....

These are the types of people we should have on our money.

Armstrong landing on the moon or Sagan with the caption of "billions" would be pretty sweet on a $20 bill.

Imagine Feynman diagrams on the bill though, mass confusion.

DedValve

Banned
lol. Trump is more likely. I think that's his ultimate goal anyway -- to become money.

Trumps Dilemma is to either be a $1 bill and be everywhere or be a symbol of nobility and be a $100 but hardly anyone sees it compared to the $1.

Or he could be in various poses in all the bills!

I like that idea!

Zimmy64

Honestly I think Jackson should stay on the $20 to spite him for opposing the idea of a central bank. It's a fitting punishment.

Pepboy

Female picks you could get behind? I could see:

Harriet Tubman
Susan B. Anthony
Abigail Adams
Eleanor Roosevelt
Emily Dickinson
Sojourner Truth
Sacagawea

My money is on Tubman, or maybe Eleanor Roosevelt.

article said:
Lew also plans to announce this week that Andrew Jackson -- a less beloved former president whose face graces the front of the $20 bill -- will be removed in favor of a female representing the struggle for racial equality, according to the government source.

Sacagawea and (a while ago) Susan B. Anthony already had dollar coins. And I'm not sure how the rest represented the struggle for racial equality specifically (though certainly sexual inequality).

YES!

Fuck Jackson, he hated the banking system anyway. It never made sense.

Though I think we should just have a woman on one side and a Man on the other for ech bill, but that's just me.

They should just make an $11 dollar bill with Burr on it so everyone knows he got one over Hamilton.

Goddamn.

Also I opened this thread while the final song of the musical was playing. Savage.

Not losing when you refuse to fight.

He agreed to the duel, and had a hair-trigger on his pistol. If he intended to intentionally waste his shot, the code duello instructed to fire into the ground. Hamilton fired into a tree beyond Burr.

Bitch tried to cheat, knowing that Burr was a better shot, and lost anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom