• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: NX to use carts. Analysts have said an announcement could be prior to TGS

When will Nintendo unveil the NX?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
You disappoint me WSJ.

Usually you don't comment unless you have real big info to drop. This is just usual conjecture.

thefro

This was the most interesting part to me

WSJ said:
Industry watchers said cartridges were a reasonable choice for Nintendo’s next-generation system, code-named NX, because the company targets a wider range of consumers than Sony or Microsoft. Nintendo’s core fans include small children, who might scratch discs but find cartridges tougher to damage. Cartridges also allow games to load faster, are harder to copy and can be mass-produced faster than discs, they said.

I think the general consensus before was that discs could be mass-produced faster, but that's obviously not the case anymore if WSJ is reporting it.

NX cartridges will likely have the same form factor and size of the 3DS ones, who knows, perhaps they'll manage to make them even smaller

Nintendo has a history of altering cartridge form factor when backwards compatibility is broken and all the rumors so far point to NX not being compatible with 3DS cartridges.

javac

Why do people think NES, SNES and N64 when confronted with the word cartridge lol, the GBA, DS and 3DS use carts. I envision people thinking your going to blow into a huge cart with a Breath of the Wild sticker on it and clank it into a huge ass slot on the handheld lol.

Galava

Nintendo has a history of altering cartridge form factor when backwards compatibility is broken and all the rumors so far point to NX not being compatible with 3DS cartridges.

I would love the cartridges to be like mini famicom cartridges, a lot smaller and thinner. Instead of being a square, a more "panoramic rectangle".

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I envision people thinking your going to blow into a huge cart with a Breath of the Wild sticker on it and clank it into a huge ass port on the handheld lol.

Where do you think the name Breath of the Wild comes from?

This was the most interesting part to me

I think the general consensus before was that discs could be mass-produced faster, but that's obviously not the case anymore if WSJ is reporting it.

I wonder why and how that is possible
is there something being placed on a disc that slows the process down

Why do people think NES, SNES and N64 when confronted with the word cartridge lol, the GBA, DS and 3DS use carts. I envision people thinking your going to blow into a huge cart with a Breath of the Wild sticker on it and clank it into a huge ass slot on the handheld lol.
Even the bloody Vita uses carts lol

A real shame. There is a warmth you get when playing a game off a disc that you can't really replicate with flash based storage.

Lol, you mean the obnoxious whine from the spinning disc, the rail going haywire when searching for data, or the now no longer optional install times when first inserting a disc?

Or do you mean the actual heat it produces?

Well so much for that...fell for it.

on Wii U I was mostly 99% digital because I loved day 1 downloads and later pre-load

even though I love the smooth edge disc

on NX carts would be cool to collect but they will be small like 3DS carts so I'll aim for 100% digital this time

hopefully they fix the ID so you can transfer you games

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
A real shame. There is a warmth you get when playing a game off a disc that you can't really replicate with flash based storage.

I feel the flash based storage is closer to the ultimate warmth, classical rom modules. Also it should be an advantage for longevity of the console. Absolutely no complaints here.

Going digital on 3DS has been pretty pleasant so I'd probably do the same for NX. What I am excited about is possible native support for SDXC cards! I mean, you could use them already on 3DS if you reformat the file system and do some folder shenanigans but the less friction the better.

Thankfully Nintendo aren't in a position to even think about selling proprietary memory cards like Sony did with Vita, that would be the darkest timeline. D:

ekim

Nothing really specific or worthwhile but regarding the announcement part, I heard the word "soon" multiple times now.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member

WTF kind of foolishness is this?

Edit: ya got me. good show

Koren

when the ones that NX will use will be at least like the 3DS ones if not even smaller?
I actually hope they won't go the smaller route. I'm beginning to feel they're too small. Think how it would be easy to loose one if it was micro-sd sized... I doubt people think DS/3DS carts are too big.

Neoxon

How do you target wider range of consumers without Blu-Ray compatibility etc?
Nintendo wasn't gonna add Blu-Ray compatibility, anyway (licensing fees & whatnot).

And besides, discs for a hybrid (or any kind of handheld) is a no-no.

Guevara

lol, I'll admit my mind goes there too.

But good point, NX really isn't doing anything weird, it's just a continuation of handheld design.

This is going to be the problem. They keep reporting this is Nintendo console. Like I said gaming press will say "Nintendos next console NX is only 720p and behind last gens Xbox One!" It's going to be spun into a negative. They should stop saying it's a console.

I don't really see the point in NDA'ing the hell out of these invites, instead of just announcing a live event a couple of weeks before it happens.

MCN

Banned
Going digital on 3DS has been pretty pleasant so I'd probably do the same for NX. What I am excited about is possible native support for SDXC cards! I mean, you could use them already on 3DS if you reformat the file system and do some folder shenanigans but the less friction the better.

The only real problem I see is UFS may well be the next "standard" in flash storage media over the next year or two, as it has far greater read/write speeds than even high-end SD cards. Once that happens, microSD could be seen as a positively archaic feature.

If most early third party support is coming out of Japan, it would make sense to reveal the NX before TGS. That would probably mean that Western journalists are seeing this behind closed doors at PAX West this weekend.

Dmax3901

The info may not be new but the fact that WSJ is reporting it is definitely more significant than gameblog.fr or whatever.

The only real problem I see is UFS may well be the next "standard" in flash storage media over the next year or two, as it has far greater read/write speeds than even high-end SD cards. Once that happens, microSD could be seen as a positively archaic feature.

eh, that's asking Nintendo to be cutting edge so I wouldn't get my hopes up. At least SDXC still trumps the read/write speeds of disc based consoles and competes with the Vita.

Top Bottom