• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: NX to use carts. Analysts have said an announcement could be prior to TGS

When will Nintendo unveil the NX?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Taker666

If it was a home console using carts.. it would be news.

..but as it's a handheld/hybrid.. you wouldn't really expect anything else.

nx will be announced in the next 12 days ? no way they would have stated that there is a stream or something ahead of time.

Why? Nintendo can say it 24 hours before and everyone that would be interested will be made aware via their usual channels.

The announcement of the NX is not mainstream relevant, this will only surface in usual circles. Mainstream coverage won't hit until we get into February / March and people can actually go out and buy the thing.

Analysts said there "could" something happening?

I need one of these jobs where i guess stuff all the time like someone on the internet.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Out of curiosity, could we ever see the $/GB for flash memory game cartridges actually get cheaper than BD-ROM discs, when accounting for things like the size of the box/shipping costs/etc?

When you account for the cost of the BD-ROM drive (which also adds a new component that can break) we might already be near the point where cartridges make more economic sense.

Caffeine

Why? Nintendo can say it 24 hours before and everyone that would be interested will be made aware via their usual channels.

The announcement of the NX is not mainstream relevant, this will only surface in usual circles. Mainstream coverage won't hit until we get into February / March and people can actually go out and buy the thing.

for me that is just terrible its how nintendo has always done things. I would like a date that I can put on my calendar and plan accordingly lol.

I think the cart sizes can't be too small. People will lose it way too often.

It needs some weight for a physical copy to have some je ne sais quoi. If it's too light it can feel ephemeral.

for me that is just terrible its how nintendo has always done things. I would like a date that I can put on my calendar and plan accordingly lol.

It's not like the information will disappear if you don't watch it live. If real life gets in the way, just catch up afterwards.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Out of curiosity, could we ever see the $/GB for flash memory game cartridges actually get cheaper than BD-ROM discs, when accounting for things like the size of the box/shipping costs/etc?

When you account for the cost of the BD-ROM drive (which also adds a new component that can break) we might already be near the point where cartridges make more economic sense.
We are already there, Blu-Rays, and discs in general are a dead format.

4k Blu-Rays will be the last hurrah of it, and people will collect them like laser discs. The big problem is that since the format is digital, there is nothing to be gained about collecting them, since in the future, a better or same content will be available by download.

I'm seriously thinking about collecting NX games physically, since this versions are getting rarer on WiiU and 3DS, and since it's a platform, they will worth on future NXs as well.

like most Nintendo Announcements if we don't get a major leak with fuzzy photos of the devkit

'Out of Nowhere!' is what the NX thread will feel like

Logash

You can feel the announcement coming. I personally cannot wait to have Nintendo back in the fold. Bought a Wii U at launch but traded it in soon after. The Wii wasn't much better and I haven't had a 3DS in a while. I can't wait to play Nintendo games again :)

Nightbird

Hmm, an announcement next week or the week after that, with invites being done for a hands-on event for the press later this month would do the trick for me

LewieP

How will patches and the likes be handled?

I guess they could do it like they have before and put them on the eShop, but that seems kinda cumbersome.

What's patches got to do with discs/carts? You can't save patches on discs.

It will probably have some on board flash memory, and have an SD card slot.

You can feel the announcement coming. I personally cannot wait to have Nintendo back in the fold. Bought a Wii U at launch but traded it in soon after. The Wii wasn't much better and I haven't had a 3DS in a while. I can't wait to play Nintendo games again :)

I'm in the same boat. I had my Wii U up until the summer after Smash came out and enjoyed it at the time. But man, that spring/summer 2015 had so few games, and my Wii U started gathering dust big time. It was the E3 2015 showing, with its complete lack of anything interesting, that made me realize Nintendo was already moving on. I sold it after that.

But man, I am excited to get back in the loop and play Nintendo games again, as long as the software releases are consistent.

wrowa

Unless the invites are under NDA.

If they only invite a couple oulets similar to the reveal of the Wiimote back in 2005, then, sure, that would work.

But if they invite a whole lot of different gaming and mainstream press outlets, then NDAing an invite becomes rather inefficient. It only needs one or two persons to talk either accidentally or anomiously to one of the known insiders. It'd basically be untracable.

JimiNutz

Banned
If I were Nintendo I would rehearse the announcement so that its absolutely perfect and clear and then release a pre recorded announcement video.

Then a week later they could hold a press event to allow journalists hands on experience with the games and system.

That way they keep the media buzzing for a solid two weeks and the initial announcement can be carefully controlled.

Ashler

So this is why ArcadeGirl64 is going to stop with the NX rumours. It's finally going be announced soon.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
So..with games going at 50 GB and even pushing that further with hard disk installs. Where does that leave the NX?
Cartridges will easily surpass that amount at low price in the coming years. The real question is where does this fact leave BluRay and disc based media in general (and the answer is in the garbage can where it belongs).

I highly doubt NX announcement before TGS at this point.

Why? I think the changes for it to be announced soon are really good. If it releases in march like they announced several times.

I think some people are so desperately awaiting the announcement since weeks/months that they forget that the announcement only makes sense in the next two month.

Rezae

A real shame. There is a warmth you get when playing a game off a disc that you can't really replicate with flash based storage.

The only warmth I get is from sweating while listening to the optical drive chew and crunch on data heavy games. I guess it's true that can't be replicated.

Cartridges will easily surpass that amount at low price in the coming years. The real question is where does this fact leave BluRay and disc based media in general (and the answer is in the garbage can where it belongs).

Games will launch with 1 GB on the disk and mandatory 100 GB day1 "patch".

Apologies I meant after the tgs . I thought tgs ran a lot longer than that. I did not say I knew anything , i was just making an assumption. But maybe it will be after 15tb and it could be full reveal at tgs !

Kurt

it's going to call : Super Nintendo X

It's a good thing that they going back to carts again.
People like playing something fast on to go.

Top Bottom