• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$300 jeans on, does that mean we dream wrong? - Official Denimhead Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

maladroid

Ehh, not sure. I can only wear jeans on Fridays (or weekends, I guess) these days. Even if I wanted to get it fixed, I wouldn't know how. Do alteration places do 'jean repairs'? I'd make a mess of it if I tried to fix it myself. I didn't really account for the higher waist on the pair, so the length runs a little shorter than ideal, which is probably why I didn't bother taking care of them so much. My cheap Uniqlos are good enough for me at the moment.

Ra1den

Anybody have a good experience buying jeans online? Seems like it would be impossible to get that perfect fit which is so essential to looking good in jeans.

Alucrid

Banned
Anybody have a good experience buying jeans online? Seems like it would be impossible to get that perfect fit which is so essential to looking good in jeans.

I've bought all my jeans (pretty much most of my clothes) online. No problems here. As for the 'perfect fit', well I think it's just finding a cut that suits you and then letting the jean shrink/stretch and mold to your body over time to look really nice.

TylerD

It is a bit tricky and took me 3 attempts to get exactly what I want. I live in Oklahoma and bought my jeans from Blue In Green in Soho NY.

Take a pair of jeans that you like the fit of and measure them using this guide. Some stores will measure a bit different so you need to take note but good stores will have the detailed measurements of individual pairs that you can buy or averaged measurements for the sizes. You need to also make note of them being presoaked and preshrunk or shrink to fit. I ended up going with a pair of eternal 883 low rise slim fit, presoaked and they were perfect.

I tried some Samurais that were just massive and then some Momotaro. It cost me an extra 40 bucks for shipping the pairs I didn't keep but I think it was worth it to get a great looking and fitting pair of jeans.

http://blueingreensoho.com/site/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=30&Itemid=

mooooose

My first and only pair of raws were Samurai 5000 with arcs and tab from BiG. I've had them since November 2009 and still wear them. They are awesome. Everything else I own is washed Uniqlo, RRL, or LVC.

Gonna save up and get another pair of Sammies but now they don't have the arcs and tabs from BiG right? Or is that only online? Cause I'll be going to the store.

I know I'm a junior, and if this is the wrong thread for this kind of bump, I apologize. But a quick search turned me here, so hopefully this is right?

So I've rocked the same pair of hollister jeans for years now, and I love them. Sadly, they're starting to come apart underneath my ass, so I need to get some new ones. They're "Boomer" low-rise-slim-bootcut. They are the perfect fit for my legs and boots in the winter, which I need. I also prefer the button-up instead of a zipper, so those jeans were perfect.

Hollister, at least online, no longer sells that style. I looked around quickly online, and american eagle does zippers, buckle's jeans look absolutely ridiculous, and diesel simply made me laugh at their prices.

Recommendation on another site? I'm looking to spend somewhere between $40-50. I like jeans, but not enough to spend a whole lot more than that. Any help would be appreciated.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I guess I'm cheap, but I still buy a cheap pair of jeans just to use if I'm doing work in them. Then I buy like 2 nice pair (one blue one black) from Bannana Republic when I see them on sale if I've worn my old ones out. I want to spend some cash on jeans one day, but I just can't ever seem to pull the trigger.

VPhys

I got dragged into Macys the other day. While was there I thought about this thread and I figured you know what why not make use of this trip and find out what all the hype is about. So I tried to find the most expensive pair jeans they had I came across a pair of Austyn seven for all mankind and Diesels. I tried them both on.

I was shocked to find out that there really is a difference. The diesels left me underwhelmed and felt like they were just another pair jeans i should be paying $50 for. But the Austyn's, wow, they felt and looked incredible. I'm now sold and I'm trying to search online to find a good deal on a pair. Any opinions on seven for all mankind? Are there any others that I should be checking out that are similar to this?

Also, on a sidenote I noticed that some jeans do not list an inseam, only a waist size. Why is this?

I'm usually a 32 inseam but I was told by the cashier that they all jeans that don't list the inseam are 34 inseam. I suppose I could get by with a 34.

Tenks

Dead thread is dead

M9l5dLSh.jpg

Left to right:

APC NS. 9mo wear 1 wash
Nudie Ralfs. 1yr wear 1 wash
Nudie Joes. 1.5yr wear 2 wash
Samurai [somelongseriousofnumbers] Day I got them

TU0M8T2h.jpg

ALguxhWh.jpg

Nudie Conny dry. Day I got it. Has a bit of arm fades. Not selvage ;_;

(Jeans are my Avg Joes)

I went to Japan last December and got a chance to visit the Pure Blue Japan store to buy some new jeans. They took pics of my old one that I wore about 1.5 years and actually put it up on their blog. I thought it was pretty awesome lol.

PBJ XX-011, 2 washes? Spilled spaghetti on them and some other food.

TxdoHawk

I can see why they wanted pictures, those faded great!

I wish I had something good to contribute, everything I buy seems to blow out in the crotch before I can put a decent dent in it. :/ Lately I've just been wearing some pre-distressed J.Crew dark wash, Vintage Fit. They were on sale, and I liked the cut, even though I wasn't overly enamored with the goofy distress job.

Antagon

I wish I had something good to contribute, everything I buy seems to blow out in the crotch before I can put a decent dent in it. :/ Lately I've just been wearing some pre-distressed J.Crew dark wash, Vintage Fit. They were on sale, and I liked the cut, even though I wasn't overly enamored with the goofy distress job.

Just get the crotch reinforced when you see them getting weaker. And drop the jeans with the crotch blowout at a tailor, they can still fix them up pretty decently.

Also, you can try soaking or washing a bit more often, not washing gets you crotch blowouts quick.

Some nice pics above!

Boris

Neo Member
Here's some of mine.

APC New Cure 32" (one wash, wore these every day for about a year before that)
MYButuX.jpg

APC Petit Standard 31"
tvX3u3x.jpg

Funny thing: The new cures are actually a lot tighter than the petit standards, despite being one size bigger. Aren't the petits supposed to be skinniest APC's?

How on earth do you guys go /years/ without washing your jeans.

The real question is what reasons are there to wash jeans, as well as any article of clothing in the first place? If you spill something on them, you can just spot clean. Obviously you should wash them if they get funky, but I live in Florida and even after a year with my first pair of Nudies, they didn't smell at all before the first wash.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
I need some advice on brands to look into for my body type. I'm looking to spend $100 or less. I've got an athletic posterior chain (big legs and glutes), and the problem I usually run into trying jeans on is either they fit my legs well but the waist is too loose, or the waist fits great but it's way too tight everywhere else. A little stretch in the material would probably help I imagine.

Any suggestions? I'm looking to spend around $125 or less.

The real question is what reasons are there to wash jeans, as well as any article of clothing in the first place? If you spill something on them, you can just spot clean. Obviously you should wash them if they get funky, but I live in Florida and even after a year with my first pair of Nudies, they didn't smell at all before the first wash.

Things like sweat don't really air out terribly well imo.

Atenhaus

I need some advice on brands to look into for my body type. I'm looking to spend $100 or less. I've got an athletic posterior chain (big legs and glutes), and the problem I usually run into trying jeans on is either they fit my legs well but the waist is too loose, or the waist fits great but it's way too tight everywhere else. A little stretch in the material would probably help I imagine.

I personally would go with a pair of Unbranded Brand Jeans. They start at $78, come in three cuts, and are made well. Do you happen to live near a larger city?

Guevara

I could use some denim help I guess. I went to Osaka and picked up some Studio D'Artisan SD 101 (not my pics):

sda_101_patch.jpg

My first and only raw denim. They fit pretty well already (although they are loose in the leg and very very stiff). Do I really need to soak them before wearing? They could stand to shrink a little, but not too much in the waist.

Thanks! You can always reinforce the crotch area before or after to keep wearing it, I've seen others do it.

As for washing, I'll usually only wash it if I stained it somehow or if it starts smelling. I never had a problem with them smelling or anything though and I wear them through the Houston summers. Just give them a sniff every now and then and determine if you got anything funky going on and wash accordingly.

I could use some denim help I guess. I went to Osaka and picked up some Studio D'Artisan SD 101 (not my pics):

My first and only raw denim. They fit pretty well already (although they are loose in the leg and very very stiff). Do I really need to soak them before wearing? They could stand to shrink a little, but not too much in the waist.

How long have you worn them for? I always soak my jeans before wearing any of them, mainly to make sure you get all the shrinkage out of the way.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
I personally would go with a pair of Unbranded Brand Jeans. They start at $78, come in three cuts, and are made well. Do you happen to live near a larger city?

Cool I'll check those out, thanks!.

Regarding your question, I'll be spending some time in Chicago this summer so I can shop around there.

Antagon

sda_101_patch.jpg

If they're unsanforized you need to soak them. They're going to shrink a lot, but that's going to happen at some point anyway. If you got a bathtub you can soak them when you got them on so they won't shrink to much in the waist.

Guevara

How long have you worn them for? I always soak my jeans before wearing any of them, mainly to make sure you get all the shrinkage out of the way.
Thanks. Had them for less than a week, and really only wore them for a few hours so far.
If they're unsanforized you need to soak them. They're going to shrink a lot, but that's going to happen at some point anyway. If you got a bathtub you can soak them when you got them on so they won't shrink to much in the waist.
Thanks, I'll try that this weekend. I'm guessing I should go with warm (not hot) water?

Thanks. Had them for less than a week, and really only wore them for a few hours so far.

Thanks, I'll try that this weekend. I'm guessing I should go with warm (not hot) water?

I would go ahead and soak them.

People do them different ways, but here's my method...
  • Fill the tub or a bucket with hot water, I use the hottest I can from my tap (which isn't really boiling or anything, I can still put my hand in it without burning myself)
  • Submerge the jeans in them, use something like shampoo bottles or etc. to hold the jeans down
  • Let it soak for 30 minutes, take it out and drain the water
  • Fold it in half twice and press out as much water as I can
  • Hang dry
I also like to add some of Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap. Smells great.

I have two pairs of Union Line brand Carpenter Jeans and I love them. I wash them each time after I wear them, dry them on high heat, and they do not shrink at all. I have noticed some fading (probably due to washing them in warm water), though I like it.

Tenks

sda_101_patch.jpg

I'm unbanned again so I can help!

I don't know if your jeans specifically are unsanforized or not but a quick look on blueingreen's website shows Studio's are generally sanforized denim. So the decision to soak is mostly up to you *however* I strongly suggest soaking your new raws. It will get much of the starch and the stiffness out of the denim. If your jeans are overly stiff they are prone to tearing.

Tenks

I saw someone already suggested Unbranded and I was going to echo that. More specifically get the 301 fit. Those are their loosest fitting jeans.

Another option maybe Gustin. But they may fit a bit tight.

https://www.weargustin.com/store/75

Antagon

Anyone here know Denimasa? Heard some good things about the brand on a Dutch forum, and the stuff on Indigoroots looks seriously impressive. Especially for what is from what I understand a 3 man company that does everything by hand.

2013-03-07%252010.48.16.jpg

2013-03-07%252010.32.47.jpg

2013-03-07%252010.51.43.jpg

Love the stitching details.

Does Levi still make Sta prest jeans? I want those pants Daniel Craig wears in qos, and they're the Levi Sta prest pants, cream or white.

What I like is that they're half polyester and half cotton. If Levi doesn't make them anymore are there other brands similar?

Thanks

Funny thing: The new cures are actually a lot tighter than the petit standards, despite being one size bigger. Aren't the petits supposed to be skinniest APC's?

New Cures are APC's skinniest jeans. Petite Standards are a hybrid of New Cure (tapered legs) & New Standards (wider hip + thigh)

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Alright y'all I need a decent pair of classic dark jeans.

501 STF are almost perfect, but I'd like something low rise because I am kinda short so it just works for better ratios to my abdomen. I cannot go any slimmer than 501s because I am a cyclist and my thighs die trying to squeeze into slim or skinny jeans. I'd like to keep it under $150 and if possible under $100 would be awesome. Gap used to have decent things in their 1969 line but they stopped making them low rise.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So I don't have the kind of cash you all are spending on jeans but I really need some for fall and winter. I also have huge thighs which makes it harder to just run out and try some at the mall. Any suggestions for a place that's not crazy expensive but has slid jeans that are fitted but fit bigger thighs?

Tall order, I know. I was thinking of even just trying Target tonight as they have surprisingly good clothes for the price. Online would be fine too.

Antagon

So I don't have the kind of cash you all are spending on jeans but I really need some for fall and winter. I also have huge thighs which makes it harder to just run out and try some at the mall. Any suggestions for a place that's not crazy expensive but has slid jeans that are fitted but fit bigger thighs?

Tall order, I know. I was thinking of even just trying Target tonight as they have surprisingly good clothes for the price. Online would be fine too.

Do 501's fit? they make for decent budget jeans.

got a pair of Denimasa jeans a few weeks back. straight fit, sugarcane denim. They're stunning, love the fabric. also prefer the fit to the vintage sugarcane fits.

wbsmcs

Denim Gaf...I bought my first pair of expensive jeans 2 years ago. A pair of Diesels (I know I know, I was uninformed back then and got suckered in by the name) but nonetheless, I haven't washed them since I've gotten them, and now I'm thinking it's probably about time. I don't really know how to go about this...would I just throw them in the wash? Not THAT worried about minor shrinkage...and I believe that I would like them to fade a bit..so what's my best bet?

Also I just bought a pair of Nudies today, although I do believe I overpaid for them ($220 + tax) but I'm happy with them. Can't wait to break these in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom