• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$300 jeans on, does that mean we dream wrong? - Official Denimhead Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Nudie Average Joes I got a few years back (paid something like $160).

9312331116_4f8192287a_b.jpg

Nudies has a fit guide but I figured I'd ask for some personal stories about how their sizes compare to other brands. Generally somewhere around a 31/30 for the 5'11 levis that I wear most often. How much might Nudies differ from that?

Also, actually closer to a 31 in length so I suppose it'd be wise to get 32 and just have it hemmed?

Tenks

Expensive jeans huh? Nah. I bought a pair of Acne's and they didn't last too long.

Buy expensive jeans actually made well and not expensive simply because they're a fashion label? Dsquared jeans fall into this category.

Currently rocking my BOM006 that I got on release day. They're starting to lose indigo all over the place recently.

Buy expensive jeans actually made well and not expensive simply because they're a fashion label? Dsquared jeans fall into this category.

Currently rocking my BOM006 that I got on release day. They're starting to lose indigo all over the place recently.

Got pics? I've always wanted a pair of Momotaro's, but at this point I think I'm pretty committed to pbj's at this point. I've tried buying other brand stuff, but eventually always go back to wearing my pbj's instead.

Skinpop

$300 pfft.... that's nothing, I've got $700 denim. Dior homme 2005, pvc coated japanese denim, the stuff gods wear.

kinda looks like these:
8ba3_3.jpg

Nudies has a fit guide but I figured I'd ask for some personal stories about how their sizes compare to other brands. Generally somewhere around a 31/30 for the 5'11 levis that I wear most often. How much might Nudies differ from that?

Also, actually closer to a 31 in length so I suppose it'd be wise to get 32 and just have it hemmed?

I've had a couple pairs of the Average Joe (regular fit, straight cut) and the waist is at least an inch larger than the tag size...and that's after a wash, even. Potential for more stretch is there.

$300 pfft.... that's nothing, I've got $700 denim. Dior homme 2005, pvc coated japanese denim, the stuff gods wear.

kinda looks like these:
8ba3_3.jpg

Actually, that's the bleu claire waxed denim from SS2004 'Strip'. You're probably thinking of the black waxed jeans that were issued in AW2003 and reissued in SS2004 and FW2008 (and maybe in FW2007, I forget). Either way, you should post some fit pics, I'd be super curious to see exactly which jeans you are referring to, and what they look like.

Also, I'm currently rocking SLP denim, though sort of want to get some Jakes or something from Dior so I could get my stacking on.

and dsquared lol

Water

Not a jeans enthusiast, but could really use some advice. I have trouble finding well-fitting jeans at approx. 32" waist and 30" length.

I have short legs and wear thin-soled shoes, so need relatively short length. More importantly, I lift weights and have thick thighs and ass compared to waist. So the average pair of jeans that would fit my waist well will get stuck at thigh level. Last time I was at the store and tried a pair of Tiger of Sweden jeans with my W/L measurements, they were almost getting stuck at calves! I don't like baggy style, prefer a close fit and straight leg.

Diesel Kuratts are the only jeans I remember that actually fit me well. Bought two pairs back in the day, unfortunately they wore out pretty fast. I'd like approximately the same "normal blue" color and not too much stand-out detail. Don't care about brand, just fit. Would not hurt if the jeans were a bit more affordable and/or durable, but I'll pay up to about $150 if I have to.

one_kill

Not a jeans enthusiast, but could really use some advice. I have trouble finding well-fitting jeans at approx. 32" waist and 30" length.

I have short legs and wear thin-soled shoes, so need relatively short length. More importantly, I lift weights and have thick thighs and ass compared to waist. So the average pair of jeans that would fit my waist well will get stuck at thigh level. Last time I was at the store and tried a pair of Tiger of Sweden jeans with my W/L measurements, they were almost getting stuck at calves! I don't like baggy style, prefer a close fit and straight leg.

Diesel Kuratts are the only jeans I remember that actually fit me well. Bought two pairs back in the day, unfortunately they wore out pretty fast. I'd like approximately the same "normal blue" color and not too much stand-out detail. Don't care about brand, just fit. Would not hurt if the jeans were a bit more affordable and/or durable, but I'll pay up to about $150 if I have to.
Try Levi's 510 size 33
The length will be long, but nothing an alteration can't fix

Jake.

after almost 3 years my momotaro's are completely thrashed - time for some sam 710's when there's a re-up at my local store.

KanyeEast

Banned
What do you guys think about G-Star jeans? I can buy them cheaper than the store price for max 80euro. That must count for something.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
What do you guys think about G-Star jeans? I can buy them cheaper than the store price for max 80euro. That must count for something.
Terrible mass fashion. They're big on ugly stitchings, fades and rips. Where I live everyone wears them.

bought a ridiculously expensive pair of plain black True Religion jeans about two years ago, hoping expensive jeans would last.

Destroyed from the crotch in a little under a year :(

Then i just bought 11$ Armani jeans from Shanghai last november, lasted about the same, showing signs of tear again :D Gotta check out that quality brand selection in the OP next time.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Picked up three pairs of jeans from UNIQLO. One of them is selvedge. Do I wash these first before wearing? Not a real jeans kind of guy. Usually wore Old Navy jeans.

Picked up three pairs of jeans from UNIQLO. One of them is selvedge. Do I wash these first before wearing? Not a real jeans kind of guy. Usually wore Old Navy jeans.
I usually give mine a soak to get all the shrinkage out of the way.

I would go ahead and soak them.

People do them different ways, but here's my method...
  • Fill the tub or a bucket with hot water, I use the hottest I can from my tap (which isn't really boiling or anything, I can still put my hand in it without burning myself)
  • Submerge the jeans in them, use something like shampoo bottles or etc. to hold the jeans down
  • Let it soak for 30 minutes, take it out and drain the water
  • Fold it in half twice and press out as much water as I can
  • Hang dry
I also like to add some of Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap. Smells great.

Starviper

Man, Lucky brand jeans have been my current go-to brand. Never felt like really splurging on jeans, are they really that bad? I prefer the feel of them compared to Levi's and other brands i've worn.

Someone mentioned a few pages back that you could get Naked and Famous jeans on sale for around 100 with coupons, what would be the best sites to do so from aside from karmaloop? OP hasn't been updated in a while so I would just like to know if the best places to get deals from has changed at all.

GorillaJu

Man, Lucky brand jeans have been my current go-to brand. Never felt like really splurging on jeans, are they really that bad? I prefer the feel of them compared to Levi's and other brands i've worn.

Nice denim is kind of a connoisseur thing. Maybe like people who develop a wine palate over time, when you've worn really high quality denim you start to understand the difference. There's nothing necessarily wrong with Lucky brand jeans but they do cost more than they should, given the level of materials and construction.

Got a pair of Eternal 811 (once washed) from Blue in Green. Very nice fit. Will eventually post some pictures but I'm under 30 wears still at this point.

Someone mentioned a few pages back that you could get Naked and Famous jeans on sale for around 100 with coupons, what would be the best sites to do so from aside from karmaloop? OP hasn't been updated in a while so I would just like to know if the best places to get deals from has changed at all.

Karmaloop always has coupons going on so it might be your best bet, I'm not sure about any other places that sell N&F. You could also look into unbranded jeans, they're made by N&F, but cheaper and no branding of any sort. I think they go for around $80~

Max

I am not Max
I remember rolling my eyes at this thread more than a year ago. Since spontaneously purchasing a pair of APC New Cure's last summer in Osaka I've fallen for u, denimgaf.

Worn pretty consistently since July of last year, also heavy use while riding my bike. One soak.

In the market to buy a new pair of Petit Standards I think. The straight leg on the NC kind of bothers me because on me it is very slim in the knee and then widens out towards the leg, I also didn't size down. That and I had them hemmed when I first bought them so I'm really missing out on stacks.

Can someone link me a post where it's explained, why exactly Diesel is supposed to be that shitty?

Just asking because I quite like my Diesel jeans..

Starviper

Nice denim is kind of a connoisseur thing. Maybe like people who develop a wine palate over time, when you've worn really high quality denim you start to understand the difference. There's nothing necessarily wrong with Lucky brand jeans but they do cost more than they should, given the level of materials and construction.

Gotcha, thanks. I picked up a few pairs at Costco because they've always fit me really well and were on sale -- I guess online they retail for almost double what I got them there for. Maybe in that regard they're worthwhile, haha.

Can someone link me a post where it's explained, why exactly Diesel is supposed to be that shitty?

Just asking because I quite like my Diesel jeans..

It's like comparing a dresser from Ikea with one handcrafted by a carpenter. It's not an issue that one is "shitty," but more of an issue that there are certain materials, manufacturing processes, and other details that are not possible on a mass-production scale. The way these expensive jeans are made now are the same way all jeans were made 60-100 years ago, but then along came mass-production and planned obsolescence.

I loved my first pair of Diesels, and then I got a pair of Nudies and realized how superior they were, and then I got a pair of Iron Hearts and realized how superior they were. And so on.

Antagon

I still don't get how people can wear petite standards. That rise seems so ridiculously low, you can't do anything in the without them hanging below your ass.

Anyway, I'm thinking about picking up another pair of raws. Got some Denimasa's made out of a 14.5 oz sugarcane blend, dyed with a mix of natural and synthetic indigo that I adore, but something a bit more traditional would be nice. Sadly, high end Japanese brands are rather overpriced here. Momotaro usually goes for 300 Euros, PBJ is 400 :/.

I still don't get how people can wear petite standards. That rise seems so ridiculously low, you can't do anything in the without them hanging below your ass.

Anyway, I'm thinking about picking up another pair of raws. Got some Denimasa's made out of a 14.5 oz sugarcane blend, dyed with a mix of natural and synthetic indigo that I adore, but something a bit more traditional would be nice. Sadly, high end Japanese brands are rather overpriced here. Momotaro usually goes for 300 Euros, PBJ is 400 :/.

Wow 400 for PBJ's? I paid 200 for my last pair....in Harajuku.

Max

I am not Max
Can someone explain to me with photos how different low rise and mid rise is? The NC also has low rise and I've had no problem with them and they aren't "hanging below my ass"

Can someone explain to me with photos how different low rise and mid rise is? The NC also has low rise and I've had no problem with them and they aren't "hanging below my ass"

Rise is generally where the jeans sit in relation to your hips and is measured from the top of the waist to the crotch seam. With all the different jeans that have varying levels of cuts and with each person being different, low rise might work for you but not for someone else. I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as you like it.

rokkerkory

What does JeansGAF recommend for a guy with my build? Typically I wear skinny straight fit.

I am slim, not skinny but kinda athletic slim. My waist is 29-30in, thighs, ass and calves are not big. Curse of being asian and yes I do work out and do squats to get pants to fit better which they bit better now.

I guess the best pairs I have right now are Levi's 513 and Hudsons.

Price range: up to $200

edit: I like the fit of these

20130725-G-Mens-DFG-Look-4

Lazyslob

Banned
I have a really bad problems with squirts because i am lactose intolerant and have a really irritable stomach. I like cheese and spicy foodstuffs. It probably would be the worst idea for me to buy expensive pants, but i have some i never wear.

Antagon

The NC's have the same rise as the PS it seems. I tried the PS on and to me it felt that when i did anything besides standing up straight it was showing my buttcrack. Might be different for you though.

What does JeansGAF recommend for a guy with my build? Typically I wear skinny straight fit.

For that price point, you can take a look at APC, Nudie, Naked & Famous and Unlabeled, possibly 3sixteen.

I'd say take your favorite pair of jeans and compare it to something you like online from somewhere like selfedge, blueingreen and blue owl workshop. They usually have a measuring chart and a measuring guide, so you can compare measurements to your current pair for a good idea of how the new ones will fit.

Antagon

For that price point, you can take a look at APC, Nudie, Naked & Famous and Unlabeled, possibly 3sixteen.

I'd say take your favorite pair of jeans and compare it to something you like online from somewhere like selfedge, blueingreen and blue owl workshop. They usually have a measuring chart and a measuring guide, so you can compare measurements to your current pair for a good idea of how the new ones will fit.

These are some decent suggestions. If you like to try something Japanese I'd recommend looking at Japan Blue, the budget label of Momotaro. Their tight straight fit sounds like something you'd like.

I am slim, not skinny but kinda athletic slim. My waist is 29-30in, thighs, ass and calves are not big. Curse of being asian and yes I do work out and do squats to get pants to fit better which they bit better now.

edit: I like the fit of these

http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/Guess/20130725-G-Mens-DFG-Look-4?$jpeg$&wid=358[IMG][/QUOTE]

Slim straights are the worst. They're for fence sitters straddling the line between 90's baggy nonsense and real slim jeans. Be a man and go for a 511 fit or slimmer. You'll feel better once you do and will never go back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom