• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$300 jeans on, does that mean we dream wrong? - Official Denimhead Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

yonder

What does JeansGAF recommend for a guy with my build? Typically I wear skinny straight fit.

I am slim, not skinny but kinda athletic slim. My waist is 29-30in, thighs, ass and calves are not big. Curse of being asian and yes I do work out and do squats to get pants to fit better which they bit better now.

I guess the best pairs I have right now are Levi's 513 and Hudsons.

Price range: up to $200

edit: I like the fit of these

20130725-G-Mens-DFG-Look-4
Check out Nudie's Grim Tim maybe?

Tenks

Ohh a bump. Currently wearing my Strike Gold 3109. My favorite pair of jeans ever. Fading so fast even with only about 2.5mo wear on it.

Opto

Banned
A story that got me into raw denim:

Naive college student I was, I bought a pair of nice looking grey jeans from Banana Republic. They looked good with all kinds of tops, so I could dress up and down with them. But not six months into them, they right knee blew out. So I'm angry that a pair of $50+ jeans started to fall apart despite me not being crazy with them.

Average jeans are getting worse and worse with each passing year. I have a pair of Old Navy jeans from maybe 9 years ago that still feel sturdy compared to a pair from J Crew I got as a Christmas present last December.

I got so many damned pairs of jeans now that I don't think that any of them will ever fade in a meaningful manner versus when all I rocked was a single pair of N&F weird guys for a year.

Just picked up a pair of Kasil Workshops during this sale at Amazon for $50 and they're awesome. Super dark Cone Oak denim, excellent stitching and hardware quality, and a great straight fit

TylerD

Got a pair of Eternal 811 (once washed) from Blue in Green. Very nice fit. Will eventually post some pictures but I'm under 30 wears still at this point.

Nice, I got a pair of Eternal 883 presoaked from Blue and Green in April 2011 ($285) and really need to wash them again. They don't stink after I let them air out over night but it has been at least 8 months. They have held up very well and honestly, haven't faded all that much. Just some threads pulling out around the pocket openings that adds character and a hole in the bottom of my left pocket that needs to be repaired.

I have a job where jeans all day every day is a thing now and I am a happier person for it :)

I'll take a pic of them after the upcoming wash and post it.

Karmaloop always has coupons going on so it might be your best bet, I'm not sure about any other places that sell N&F. You could also look into unbranded jeans, they're made by N&F, but cheaper and no branding of any sort. I think they go for around $80~

How do they fit compared to the N&F cuts? Color choices are a bit limited, especially at Urban Outfitters, but their official site has a few pairs I like.

Vice

So are the brands in the OP still considered goodnfor their price range. Need to buy a cheap pair of jeans, sub-$100, before the middle of April.

GorillaJu

So are the brands in the OP still considered goodnfor their price range. Need to buy a cheap pair of jeans, sub-$100, before the middle of April.

Some of the OP recommendations for sub 100 bucks aren't great. Cheap Mondays are garbage, Levi's are rarely good (LVC is good), and Uniqlo are good value for the price but have pretty boring fits.

I'd go for APC New Standards. They're just north of $100 if you can swing it. If not, go Uniqlo.

Is bal main worth the price of admission?

yes and no

the denim itself is good, not mindblowing given the price, so if you're talking the moto jeans and whatnot you're mostly paying for the embellishment. IMO if you're on the fence asking this question I would probably not :p

hwalker84

My problem is this. I have really thick thighs and all these slimmer cut pants which is the norm now don't fit properly with my waist size. I hate it. Lot's of good looking pants that I can't buy because of comfort.

rokkerkory

Holy crap I think I found a new favorite brand of demin. Uniqlo!

Slim tapered fits pretty amazing for the price and free hemming too.

potam

Banned
So I have some 5 year old jeans I haven't washed yet (presoaked them though). I don't wear them daily like some guys, so they're not really dingy or dirty. Actually, I rarely wore them the past couple of years because they didn't really fit. Long story short: should I go ahead and give them a wash, or wait a while longer?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
My problem is this. I have really thick thighs and all these slimmer cut pants which is the norm now don't fit properly with my waist size. I hate it. Lot's of good looking pants that I can't buy because of comfort.
As a cyclist, I feel your pain. No fitting jeans for a man with quads.

So I have some 5 year old jeans I haven't washed yet (presoaked them though). I don't wear them daily like some guys, so they're not really dingy or dirty. Actually, I rarely wore them the past couple of years because they didn't really fit. Long story short: should I go ahead and give them a wash, or wait a while longer?

I'd say they're fine with the presoak since you barely wore them. Wash them if they smell a little funky from sitting around too long.

potam

Banned
I'd say they're fine with the presoak since you barely wore them. Wash them if they smell a little funky from sitting around too long.

Yeah, I'll probably leave them be and give them a wash after this summer or fall. I've finally lost enough weight that I can wear them every day without them feeling uncomfortable, which is nice.

I'm just wondering how they'll look after a wash. I might go take a pic in a sec, but they're nothing special right now (SExSC 08)

iirate

So, I don't know if any of y'all will know this, but where could I go for a good primer on women's jeans? Do the brands mentioned in this thread generally do a good job for both men and women, and are there any I should specifically dodge?

Thanks.

Yeah, I'll probably leave them be and give them a wash after this summer or fall. I've finally lost enough weight that I can wear them every day without them feeling uncomfortable, which is nice.

I'm just wondering how they'll look after a wash. I might go take a pic in a sec, but they're nothing special right now (SExSC 08)

Post em up! Not enough pics being posted in this thread. I'll try to get some of my currently PBJ's after I wash it (spilled food on it -_-).

So, I don't know if any of y'all will know this, but where could I go for a good primer on women's jeans? Do the brands mentioned in this thread generally do a good job for both men and women, and are there any I should specifically dodge?

Thanks.

Not sure if there's a primer, but most girls seem to just get the smaller sizes that work for them. PBJ started making girl versions that you could take a look at. My fiance has 2 pairs from them and seems to prefer them over just getting a smaller size of something else. I believe 3sixteen also has something too.

Antagon

I've heard some good things about the Railcar's womens jeans. Momotaro also has some models for women, including one made from the same delicious material as their vintage line, but I'm not a fan off the cuts and details. But then again, I'm a guy.

Downside of high end denim is that it doesn't have stretch, so it's not too great for the skin tight cuts most girls wear.

potam

Banned
I think they don't fit well at all, well I guess I like more fitted look.

Not sure what look you're trying to go for.

Yeah, the ass sags a bit, but whatever. I'm not really going for any look.

If I found someone who wanted to give me a stupid amount of money for these, then I'd sell them and start working on a new pair. Until that day comes, these'll do.

yonder

Anyone here got any experience with jeans from KOI (kings of indigo)? My local place has a few of them in stock and I really like their washes and fits, so I'm intrigued.

What do you guys think of Massimo Dutti's denim? It's my favorite and I think it's more elegant. I love their dark blue jeans, I have four of them lol.

Antagon

laxjk.jpg

9 months and it's about to tear :(

Any tips for a good and quick repair service? i'm in nyc next week for a couple of days and in Boston afterwards. There's probably better options there compared to the small Dutch town where I live.

I've seen denim therapy but i'd need to use the next day service, which would add 40$ to my bill. Makes it a bit too expensive imo.

Any tips for a good and quick repair service? i'm in nyc next week for a couple of days and in Boston afterwards. There's probably better options there compared to the small Dutch town where I live.

I've seen denim therapy but i'd need to use the next day service, which would add 40$ to my bill. Makes it a bit too expensive imo.

Just my opinion, but I don't think it looks like it's going to tear immediately or anything. I'd say you should be fine to get ti repaired after your trip.

They fit fine, but you desperately need a hem. The stacking around the ankles looks ridiculous.

Agree, I generally don't like a lot of stacks, but I know some people prefer it.

laxjk.jpg

I work for Self Edge in NYC, and I honestly don't think those need to be repaired yet. We do have a $40 service to darn over holes, but I wouldn't recommend the process without a visible rip.

Max

I am not Max
I'm about to buy a pair of PNS, question I have is how do I make my oversized NC into dad-jeans? Should I just throw them in the washing machine a couple times?

like this;

Holy crap I think I found a new favorite brand of demin. Uniqlo!

Slim tapered fits pretty amazing for the price and free hemming too.
The slim cuts I always see at Uniqlo in Japan are always non-selvege, did they release slim selvage denim?

lunchtoast

Bought some naked and famous off amazon just to try them out but hated the fit. Didn't have any style that wasn't tapered and slim. Any 100-200$ raws that are straight legged non-tapered that you can recommend? I'd prefer to use Amazon.

Also wondering the quality of joe's. I bought two pairs yesterday at Nordstrom rack. They fit me well and it's hard to find my length without having to alter. They were discounted @$70, wondering if I overpaid.

Antagon

Bought some naked and famous off amazon just to try them out but hated the fit. Didn't have any style that wasn't tapered and slim. Any 100-200$ raws that are straight legged non-tapered that you can recommend? I'd prefer to use Amazon.

Also wondering the quality of joe's. I bought two pairs yesterday at Nordstrom rack. They fit me well and it's hard to find my length without having to alter. They were discounted @$70, wondering if I overpaid.

APC New Standards, though they're not on amazon.

https://www.contextclothing.com/brands/a-p-c/new-standard

If you just want to try out raw denim, you can also get a pair of rigid levi's 501's. Not selvedge, but that doesn't make any difference to fading and it's far cheaper then other options.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Question: if you get "crotch blowout" on a nice looking pair of worn jeans, is it a faux pas to keep wearing them, should I try getting them repaired, or is it time to just trash them?

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Question: if you get "crotch blowout" on a nice looking pair of worn jeans, is it a faux pas to keep wearing them, should I try getting them repaired, or is it time to just trash them?
How much do you like the jeans?

If they were a long term investment and you still like them I'd just get them repaired.

BPoole

Any opinions of Citizen of Humanity? I didn't see them listed in the OP. I bought a pair 2-3 years ago and are easily my favorite pair of jeans

Also, I have really thick legs, both legs and calves, so I am pretty much forced to wear jeans that are slightly baggy since I have to get a larger waist size just so they are skin tight on my legs. What are some brands/fits that could accommodate this problem?

Hey there IS a denim thread on gaf, just bought these today. First pair of raw denim jeans I've ever owned (and first pair over $100).

These are Naked and Famous Deep Indigo Stretch Selvedge in the Weird Guy cut. The stretchiness makes them very comfortable when moving around and sitting down. In case there's any other tall guys out there, I'm 6'5" and typically wear a 34x36 in Levi's 514. I sized down to 33 waist for these and they fit well.

Excuse my midriff:

KhHKlU6.jpg

BAEaXcX.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom