• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$300 jeans on, does that mean we dream wrong? - Official Denimhead Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

spicy cho

So I'm going to Japan (leaving Monday) for two weeks and want to replace my APC PS with some japanese denim. I heard Kuro was good? Where would you guys go for jeans in Tokyo? My max is about $250. I like tapered jeans with a small leg opening.

Chorazin

What's my best best for American-made jeans?

And I mean actually made in the United States, not that AG, Citizens of Humanity, Current/Elliott, et al. bullshit of buying all the parts and fabric in third-world nations then assembling them here and labeling the jeans as "made in the USA."

http://store.tripleaughtdesign.com/Intercept-PD-Pant?_ga=1.142192369.2121742140.1442856319

Denim sourced from America's oldest working denim mill, YKK buttons made in America, cut and assembled in America. Haven't heard anything but good things, just ordered my first pair since they finally restocked them today. I dunno if they are as fancy as some of the $300 jeans, but they're made a bit more for the active individual. I own lots of their jackets and other pants and they are incredible.

I tired the Rogue's on last night...

The Stanton cut is a perfect fit my legs. I've got a bit of meat on my thigh/ass from soccer so the super skinny jeans never fit, and a lot of time I end up with a lot of slack on the waist above my ass. The Stanton's are definitely cut to give a little room in the kaboose & thighs. They are very fitted on me now, and I expect they are going to break in nicely once I put some miles on the 16.75oz denim.

The dark indigo is killer...
Dropped them of a seamstress today to adjust the hem.

Oh, and I can confirm Rogue are made in America (with denim sourced from Japan)
22030912086_04c7f7db26_h.jpg

Any ideas where to get raw women's jeans? or dude jeans with a small waist and leg length.
APC advertises their raw offerings as Unisex... but I don't think they look particularly flattering on women
http://usonline.apc.fr/denim/men/new-standard-codbs-m09001#Indigo

Ok, I've tried a bunch of recommended brands like Naked & Famous alresdy, and while I think that particular brand is stellar quality and I love the fit, I keep running into the same issue: the back pockets are too damn low. It looks very unflattering on me due to the size and placement of my ass.

For reference, I have 2 pairs of Lucky Brand classic straights that fit me damn perfectly, and the pockets are in a fantastic position. Granted, I know LB is not a great brand, but I've gotten some reasonably cheap in the past and they've held out well this long.

What do i look for in jeans (online) so that they have the pockets even just a little higher? A lower rise maybe? I'm not sure.

Going to be sending my Iron heart 634S out to be repaired/patched/etc. soon. Just got a fresh pair of the 634S-B (black overdyed). Excited to see how these wear in.

Fatalah

For reference, I have 2 pairs of Lucky Brand classic straights that fit me damn perfectly, and the pockets are in a fantastic position. Granted, I know LB is not a great brand, but I've gotten some reasonably cheap in the past and they've held out well this long.

Same here, I'm not a denim head, but I respect the thread. I just bought a pair of Lucky 410's and they fit me perfectly. What a great new cut the 410 is. Spectacular!

Going to be sending my Iron heart 634S out to be repaired/patched/etc. soon. Just got a fresh pair of the 634S-B (black overdyed). Excited to see how these wear in.

Most some pics up!

My pbj xx-010 will almost be at 2 years soon. Haven't been able to wear it as much as I'd like, but I'll post up some pics next month.

Fitts

Hey there, JeansGAF! I need some help but don't know if this is the right place.

I'm not looking for anything crazy. Just looking for a basic pair of comfortable jeans. I've had good luck with American Eagle through high school (don't really ever shop for clothes so I honestly don't know what else is out there) but recently purchased a few pairs of relaxed from them and I'm not very pleased. Too tight around the upper thigh and butt areas. It seems like I buy at least one pair of jeans per year and the styling just gets slimmer and slimmer.

Again, comfort is my priority. They have to be sufficiently roomy without looking like they're excessively big/bunchy/sloppy. I have a pretty average build: 5'9, 175lbs, generally wear 32/30. They also need to sit well at the bottoms over a pair of hiking boots but not engulfing them like bootcuts. Those tend to be skinny at the top and flare at the bottom and just look silly to me. I don't want any of that ripped up stuff either. I'm not looking to spend a lot -- $50 seems excessive for jeans to me.

Thanks in advance and sorry if I'm not sufficiently stylish enough to be posting here. :)

Antagon

Hey there, JeansGAF! I need some help but don't know if this is the right place.

I'm not looking for anything crazy. Just looking for a basic pair of comfortable jeans. I've had good luck with American Eagle through high school (don't really ever shop for clothes so I honestly don't know what else is out there) but recently purchased a few pairs of relaxed from them and I'm not very pleased. Too tight around the upper thigh and butt areas. It seems like I buy at least one pair of jeans per year and the styling just gets slimmer and slimmer.

Again, comfort is my priority. They have to be sufficiently roomy without looking like they're excessively big/bunchy/sloppy. I have a pretty average build: 5'9, 175lbs, generally wear 32/30. They also need to sit well at the bottoms over a pair of hiking boots but not engulfing them like bootcuts. Those tend to be skinny at the top and flare at the bottom and just look silly to me. I don't want any of that ripped up stuff either. I'm not looking to spend a lot -- $50 seems excessive for jeans to me.

Thanks in advance and sorry if I'm not sufficiently stylish enough to be posting here. :)

What about a pair of Levi's 501 (STF?). You can get the STF for just below 50 dollars and they're pretty decent. Otherwise I can't really give any good tips, not too well versed on the brands that are sold in the US. Keep in mind that they'll shrink (and later stretch out) though, especially for the length. If you get a 32/32 and don't wash them too often the size will probably be fine, although for the first few days it'll be a bit tight.

Fitts

What about a pair of Levi's 501 (STF?). You can get the STF for just below 50 dollars and they're pretty decent. Otherwise I can't really give any good tips, not too well versed on the brands that are sold in the US. Keep in mind that they'll shrink (and later stretch out) though, especially for the length. If you get a 32/32 and don't wash them too often the size will probably be fine, although for the first few days it'll be a bit tight.

I'll check them out. Thanks!

Forgot to post, but I ended up grabbing some Levi's 514s. The fit is goddamn perfect, back pockets and all, and I really love the quality of the denim. It's ironic, because I always thought Levi's were a so-so brand, but yes, as stated in the OP, they are very good for the price. I am very happy with my purchase and happy that I don't have to bust my head open trying to figure out selvedge and stuff. Maybe one day I'll be a denimhead, but right now I just needed something that works and looks good.

Stryder

Oh damn GAF has a denim thread? I'm about a month and a half into my PBJ-012's and I'm loving it!

I'll have to post a picture of them when the fades really start to come in.
Oooh, I was looking at getting a pair of these but instead went for some ONI 512's instead as the shop was out of stock of the PBJ-012's.

I'm still tempted to pick up a pair but think I would rather see how these wear.

Rktk

OP is missing G-Star Raw, I have one pair and they are about my favourite - the indigo dye used is fantastic, the stitching is top notch and the fit is perfect for me. I didn't used to pay them much mind because they tended to add a lot of "accessories" to their jeans but they have a decent lineup today.

I have an issue with hems, they are too big. Unless you are willing to get some stretchy pants along with 25% polyester and whatnot, it's very hard to find a pair that keep the same tightness from thigh to hem. Rolling or folding the hem is not for me.

Can UKGaf recommend any other brands in the £80-£200 price bracket? I would like to buy a nice pair before I go away for the holidays.

Stryder

Look at APC/Acne for those style of jeans that taper in and retain tightness from the thigh to the calf.

Do G-star really do decent raw denim? I wouldn't have expected it from them, I've always seen them as those prefab distressed looking jeans that try to be 'fashionable'.

Oooh, I was looking at getting a pair of these but instead went for some ONI 512's instead as the shop was out of stock of the PBJ-012's.

I'm still tempted to pick up a pair but think I would rather see how these wear.

Yeah they're great! Personally I'm going to wait a year or so until they're well worn to buy another pair. I'll be more comfortable putting them into a rotation then. Thinking about some heavyweight Iron Hearts for sure though!

Due to their fit and sales, I've been on the Gustin train for the past few months. Have four pairs of jeans from them, with three more being made now. Halp.

Still not committed enough to spend much more than $100 on a pair, but I'll get there.

Can't wait to attempt to break in my 21 ouncers :-|

Should I also check out Unbranded? They seem to have some affordable options, too.

Alucrid

Banned
i like japan blue so far. they're part of momotaro, and while they don't have all the frills that they do, the cut is great, construction good and price unbeatable. $125 for a pair with free EMS shipping from japan

Rktk

Look at APC/Acne for those style of jeans that taper in and retain tightness from the thigh to the calf.

Do G-star really do decent raw denim? I wouldn't have expected it from them, I've always seen them as those prefab distressed looking jeans that try to be 'fashionable'.

I had a look and APC have a shop round the corner from where I live so I'll go in on Friday. As for G-Star, they still do distressed and power washed for those that want it (and clearly a lot of people do) but they are a jeans outlet so they have a variety and output some quality stuff. Their flagship store on Oxford Street is really quite nice, they are to be considered.

ASRAcIE.jpg

And speaking of my favourite pair:

0TKr8zL.jpg

Rktk

Picked up a pair of raw jeans from Acne. They advised I wear them for a bit before the first wash since they will shrink and I should wear them in slightly.

What's the best thing to do with a new pair of raw jeans? I want a tight fit, the pair I picked up are tight but not quite tight enough on the leg. Was reading something about soaking them initially.

Muddimar

I'm new to this thread (I didn't know it existed), and I'm looking for some advice. So I own a few pair of the old "Rock and Republic" jeans (before they were bought out) and they fit perfect. I heard that they were selling them at Khols department store, so I go and check them out to see if they have them available. They did, but they weren't anywhere close to the same fit and feel as my older versions.

I need new jeans, I can't buy $300+ jeans anymore (I have a kid now), but I want quality. Is there a brand in the $100-$150 range I can buy that will not be a complete disappointment? Preferably no bedazzled jeans.

MoodyFog

I'm new to this thread (I didn't know it existed), and I'm looking for some advice. So I own a few pair of the old "Rock and Republic" jeans (before they were bought out) and they fit perfect. I heard that they were selling them at Khols department store, so I go and check them out to see if they have them available. They did, but they weren't anywhere close to the same fit and feel as my older versions.

I need new jeans, I can't buy $300+ jeans anymore (I have a kid now), but I want quality. Is there a brand in the $100-$150 range I can buy that will not be a complete disappointment? Preferably no bedazzled jeans.

Have you simply checked out APC?

Cookie18

How do people rate Calvin Klein jeans? I need to replace my 3 year old pair because they've got a whole in one of the pockets. They are otherwise in great condition still. I'm contemplating going with another pair of them or something like Burberry instead. I don't really know much about denim though. I have no idea what a $400 pair of Burberry jeans has over my $150 CK or even my $80 Levi's. Any advice would be appreciated.

Edit: I see Dior are in the OP too. My wife's aunt is the manager of a Dior store so if those are good I could get a couple of pairs of those.

Antagon

A detail pic of my Denimasa jeans (with sugarcane blend denim):
dsc_0236noujo.jpg

About two years of wear now, I absolutely love these. Sadly, they're nearing the end of their life, holes are starting to form on a bit too many places.

GorillaJu

How do people rate Calvin Klein jeans? I need to replace my 3 year old pair because they've got a whole in one of the pockets. They are otherwise in great condition still. I'm contemplating going with another pair of them or something like Burberry instead. I don't really know much about denim though. I have no idea what a $400 pair of Burberry jeans has over my $150 CK or even my $80 Levi's. Any advice would be appreciated.

Edit: I see Dior are in the OP too. My wife's aunt is the manager of a Dior store so if those are good I could get a couple of pairs of those.

Honesty I wouldn't recommend Diors. They've been maintaining steady sales due to the iconic design Slimane brought in more than 10 years ago, but while tons of denim brands have caught up on the styling front, Dior have remained static in terms of indigo and denim quality. Despite exorbitant retail prices, there's not much of an advantage with Dior.

Kojima, Japan Blue, APC and Somet all make jeans with a nearly identical fit and all of them, even APC, use a better indigo dye and sturdier yarn. You won't have the horizontal pocket darts, but that's about all you'll miss out on.

Why some jeans cost $400 is related more to brand positioning than it is to quality. It's okay to pay more for a specific style that's only available from a designer you like (for example the aforementioned Dior Homme), but be forewarned that what you're paying for isn't the very best artisanal denim, you're paying for Burberry's marketing budget, mark-up that compensates for end of season sale prices, etc.

Anyone have an opinion on Rag & Bone jeans? Specifically this one

http://www.rag-bone.com/mens/standard-issue/fit-1-jean-M1224K302.html

R&Bs are nice, generally speaking. I've never been a fan of the way they fit me, personally though. They're a brand who I felt like didn't have any compelling reason to splurge for.

That said, in terms of construction and hardware, they're excellent.

rokkerkory

damn $300 for jeans just feels so wasteful now that I am older and have so much bills. lol

props to you guys that can still buy them.

i will just stick with my $40-50 uniqlo jeans

GorillaJu

damn $300 for jeans just feels so wasteful now that I am older and have so much bills. lol

I don't like the thread title at all because it makes this pretentious implication that expensive jeans are inherently better. They aren't. $50 Uniqlo jeans are great. You can do much better still sub-100, but Uniqlo is just fine.

What does GAF say about Momotaro?

Exceptional jeans. Expensive, but very, very nice.

This thread is way to big and I'm on mobile, so don't crucify me....but has anyone been able to find decent bell bottom of flare jeans for men? I've tried the usual brands and OLD Diesel Zaf's were as close as I ever found. True relgion is just fugly and most "boot cut" is just not flared enough.
Plox help.

KingV

You can get some great denim for well under $300. I think the most expensive pair of raw denim I bought was from Raleigh Denim at maybe $280 or so. While I liked them, they are also probably my least favorite pair.

My favorite have been the Gap Raw Denim jeans honestly, they fit great, wear-in great, and are durable. I've owned two pairs and never had a crotch or knee go, including a pair I bought in 2009 and do yard and car work in.

Sadly, I don't think they make them anymore, but I'd put them up against a ton of more expensive jeans, and I bought em for like $80.

You can get some great denim for well under $300. I think the most expensive pair of raw denim I bought was from Raleigh Denim at maybe $280 or so. While I liked them, they are also probably my least favorite pair.

My favorite have been the Gap Raw Denim jeans honestly, they fit great, wear-in great, and are durable. I've owned two pairs and never had a crotch or knee go, including a pair I bought in 2009 and do yard and car work in.

Sadly, I don't think they make them anymore, but I'd put them up against a ton of more expensive jeans, and I bought em for like $80.

I've seen a lot of great fades on /r/rawdenim from Unbranded jeans. They're under 110 USD I believe and they have a lot of options.

Speaking of $300 denim, Gustin just put it's "most expensive denim" up for sale at $299.

I think we can safely say this is the most insane selvedge denim we’ve come across. There's a good chance that if you are quick enough to snag a pair you might actually hang it on your wall and never wear it . . . it’s that captivating. Brilliantly vibrant blue in color from pure plant indigo dye, monstrously slubby yarns for huge texture and 100% loomstate purity. This fabric is pure art. We did a triple take when the mill told us the price, it’s more than 6x the price of your average denim from Japan, but we just couldn’t resist offering it to you. Note: We recommend 3 up compared to your standard Gustin size.

This denim is from one of the finest mills in Japan. Their goal with this style was to take you back to the character of some of the first selvedge denim ever woven. The result is stunningly complex and beautiful. We see more fabric than you could imagine but never anything quite like this. It starts with color. The warp is dyed using pure plant dye indigo. This immediately sets the denim apart as this ancient and costly process is rarely used anymore. The color is stunning. It's a bright, vibrant and pure indigo. There is even subtle variation in shade going slightly darker in some areas adding to the richness. When the fabric is washed it tightens up and the dye bleeds beautifully to create wonderful palette of blues. Next comes they yarn. This is hands down some of the most slubby yarn we've seen. Japanese mills have mastered beauty in irregularity and the rope-like yarns in this fabric literally lift the surface of the creating a depth that you'll have to touch to believe. You will find yourself reaching to touch this denim all day. The slubiness also exposes more of the white weft, brightening up the surface. Finally, in true old-world fashion this denim is loomstate, meaning it has not been treated in any way. So much complexity, so much beauty. This is why we love denim so much.

NawidA

Banned
Caught up on this thread, I gotta call out something.

A number of people seem to like Lucky Jeans. Now, sure, the denim quality may not be up to the standards of similar priced stuff. But
1) it seems like people genuinely like their style.
2) I don't think anyone actually pays full price for them.
3) They have good fits.

I mean, at their true price point, aren't they a decent alternative to Levi's? (I know Uniqlo's are in that range as well, but while I love Uniqlo's other stuff their jeans just seem too basic).

I bought a pair of 121 Heritage Slims and have been happy with them for what it's worth. I was in Nordstrom Rack earlier today and they had Levi's/7Fam/Luckys/Diesels near each other and I just started feeling them between my fingers. And I have to say, why the fuck would anyone buy a Diesel?

Cronox

Banned
Caught up on this thread, I gotta call out something.

A number of people seem to like Lucky Jeans. Now, sure, the denim quality may not be up to the standards of similar priced stuff. But
1) it seems like people genuinely like their style.
2) I don't think anyone actually pays full price for them.
3) They have good fits.

On a similar note, I've spent the time trying Levis and Uniqlo, but in the end the most comfortable jeans, and the ones I feel look best on me, happen to be from the GAP. Couple years back I tried to do this thread proud by looking into the brands everyone was talking about, but it just wasn't happening. Uniqlo clothing is generally made for some sort of short/thin hipster sort of guy, while I'm tall with a long torso. The cuts were just all wrong. And Levis ride up my ass, making for discomfort and plumberitis when bending over.

VoxPop

I have like 3-4 old pairs of APCs sitting my drawer with giant crotch tears. Is there a specific reason that it keeps happening? I'm debating if its worth repairing them or not (if they do even do it properly with the same color denim).

CatPee

I have like 3-4 old pairs of APCs sitting my drawer with giant crotch tears. Is there a specific reason that it keeps happening? I'm debating if its worth repairing them or not (if they do even do it properly with the same color denim).

Were those raws? Crotch blowouts will just happen with repeated wear/thigh-rubbing combined with not washing them, which strengthens denim.

shoreu

OK guys I have an athletic build (Big ass quads, toned calf's, a big butt, and a size 38 waist, and I'm 6 ft even) I want something to look slim and have a small cuff so I can showcase my sneakers. But in most cases my quads kinda make them tight while they otherwise fit properly, any advice?

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
What's a good pair of men's black skinny jeans with holes or rips in the knees ? Not looking to spend over $70.

I'm still wearing the same black pair of skinny jeans I got sophomore year of high school. I ripped holes in it myself, but I would like some that's already done, the right way.

I just picked up a Kapital jean jacket, my first Kapital item. Am digging it. Sure wish it was easier/cheaper to get here though.

Wasteful is subjective I guess. I'd rather support craft industries in Italy and Japan than another sweatshop labor factory. Not that I don't buy Chinese-made clothes sometimes, but for jeans the quality is worth it IMO...lasts longer, wears better. But at the end of the day it's about whatever fits you best and you feel good in.

Fletcher

I have some rogues and 3sixteen and love them, but have been wearing the slim straight selvedge uniqlo I bought in Tokyo. I bought another pair here in USA, but the fit is different. The Japanese ones have a slight taper which sit so much better. Anyone in Japan wanna help a brother out?

hwateber

OK guys I have an athletic build (Big ass quads, toned calf's, a big butt, and a size 38 waist, and I'm 6 ft even) I want something to look slim and have a small cuff so I can showcase my sneakers. But in most cases my quads kinda make them tight while they otherwise fit properly, any advice?
Look into the Japan blue high tapered model. I believe the model number is JBO630

About to go HAM

Neo Member

Not sure how much you've looked yet, but N&F just released their Easy Guy fit. You can look at the measurements on the product page too, but you'd be looking at ~13-14" thighs.

Left Field has their CHARLES ATLAS fit.

Both aim for a tight taper at the hem.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Got some Levi's. First piece of real denim I've gotten. I know it's nowhere where you guys are at. I got the playing possum color since that is the only one they had in my size at the time. Like them a lot. Still considering how I'm going to clean them.

Washing once is okay when you get them right?

What happens to jeans when you wash them everytime you wear them?

Washing once is okay when you get them right?

What happens to jeans when you wash them everytime you wear them?

Yeah, soak them in hot water for about 40 mins or so and then hang dry them to get all the shrinkage out.

Nothing really, I'll normally just wash them with some dr bronners soap whenever I get them dirty or something. Just my own preference, but I never machine wash mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom