• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Actress Daniele Watts reported for lewd acts, goes nuts at police investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.

justjohn

Seriously, how does this country still allow stuff like this to go one whilst at the same time preaching to other countries about tolerance?

Danj

Wait I don't get this, they thought she was a prostitute because she wouldn't show ID? How does showing ID make you not a prostitute? Or is it just because she was black?

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Dude how did the husband not get arrested, I feel like I would have flipped out, good restraint by him I guess

Wait I don't get this, they thought she was a prostitute because she wouldn't show ID? How does showing ID make you not a prostitute? Or is it just because she was black?

They did get a call it seems but from what we know being black and kissing a white guy was the initial reason they thought she was worthy to pursue, and showing her rights somehow made it obvious to them that she totally was a prostitute

linsivvi

So the police got a call about prostitution activity and described the couple. They drive over and see the couple doing a lot of kissing. So what should they do? I mean, they need to investigate the report, write up the incident, and then go on their way, right? What would you want the police to do?

Leave? Two persons kissing on the street is not illegal, even if it involved a prostitute. They can't follow them back to the man's house or to the hotel, so there's absolutely nothing they can or should do.

The only reason they did something was because these are incredibly racist and power tripping cops.

7S4xOmP.png

Slammin' Sammy truly was head of the game. I bet ol' Sammy doesn't get detained by cops anymore. Come, bros. It's time we make the jump the the bright side.

Someone pass the bleaching cream and the meatloaf.

2532199-1321628363395.gif

This dude..WTF, man. On topic, these cops..shit is never gonna end. And the usual suspect enter to defend these fucks, as if it's their job.

DOWN

Banned
So the police got a call about prostitution activity and described the couple. They drive over and see the couple doing a lot of kissing. So what should they do? I mean, they need to investigate the report, write up the incident, and then go on their way, right? What would you want the police to do?

I don't understand why they had to handcuff her. Nor do I understand why someone reported them in the first place.

Well if there's nothing other than a call claiming a couple is suspicious, I am figuring they shouldn't do anything once they've seen just a kissing couple. They need more than just getting a tip that leads them to a couple to actually charge for anything. If there's no evidence and they didn't see anything actually happen, I think they basically just need to move along.

FUCK whoever called the cops.

FUCK those cops.

And FUCK whoever else thinks that a black woman kissing a white man is automatically a prostitute.

ARGH.

DOWN

Banned

FUCK those cops.

And FUCK whoever else thinks that a black woman kissing a white man is automatically a prostitute.

ARGH.

It's gotta be really upsetting to think that somebody saw them and was so certain by looking at them that they weren't a couple and were breaking the law, they called the police when it wasn't even true. Like they looked at them and thought it must be criminal and she must be the prostitute. I feel really badly for this couple. It just sounds like they had no reason to detain her other than feeling suspicious about her by how she looked kissing her husband.

Mesousa

Banned
Latin America never went through the whole Black is Beautiful movement. Black self hate i is pretty common in many countries there.

In my experience I actually think there is more black self hate in the US than in the parts of Latin America with substantial African populations.

In America people are just more trained at hiding it. Nobody will actually come out and say "Mejor la raza", but just look at what society will promote and it is all the same. Hell, a people without self hate wouldn't even give shit like the boondocks(whose biggest audience are racist white folks who have little to no contact with actual black Americans...like the chappelle show audience too) a chance to air without forcing it out. Remember, Porgy and bess and actual good movie with actually talented stars just looking for work was banned by outage a half a century ago for the same stereotypes folks are more than happy to embrace now. Self hate 200%.

TCRS

Banned
Sorry to get slightly offtopic again but this is not the case. You have to own an ID but you are not obliged to carry it around with you.

yeah but then you have to go to a police statin to show your ID or something. it's a semantic difference really, in reality you should carry your ID.

linsivvi

FUCK those cops.

ARGH.

I am really skeptical that somebody actually called the cops anyway. LAPD absolutely cannot be trusted..

She wasn't arrested either and the husband already stated he showed them his ID.
Well if you're in handcuffs, you're detained, which I consider to be arrested. Maybe she wasn't booked or anything, but she was not free to go on her own at some point during the encounter.

And thanks for the clarification on the husband's ID.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Well if you're in handcuffs, you're detained, which I consider to be arrested. Maybe she wasn't booked or anything, but she was not free to go on her own at some point during the encounter.

And thanks for the clarification on the husband's ID.

Yeah I don't know if refusing to give ID normally results in handcuffs ┐(´ー`)┌

it probably results in worse usually

Anung

Un Rama
Hopefully she'll sue and they'll get the [paid leave] they deserve.

Seriously though this makes me so angry.

This is untrue. Police officers are trained pretty explicitly to use implicit coercion like you just described (if I don't do what the cop says, I'll get in trouble or hurt) to get people to waive their constitutional rights. (Do you know how fast you were going?) It's a metric-seeking approach for them.

Just the fact that the cops asked for ID in this scenario should make it clear that, in fact, cops ask people to waive their rights all the time.

Seriously, I can't believe that people don't know this. These practices are the cornerstone of daily police work. That's why you never ever EVER talk to the police.

Mononoke

Banned
Regardless, there is no reason why they should have suspicions of prostitution here. Unless they saw money being exchanged they should not have reasonable suspicion. And even that isn't entirely sound as couples or friends can give each other money. But my point is, this isn't acceptable regardless of the people involved. Cops can't just look at any couple and make a judgement call on someone being a prostitute or not. That is insanity. What are they going to stop and question other women because the way they dress?

I agree this is specifically a race issue though. I'm just saying even in general this is fuckin insane.

The police are literally agents of the State whose job it is to figure out something you've done wrong, arrest you for it, and get you convicted. There is no obligation, practical or moral, to produce written identification for them. There is no obligation, practical or moral, to identify yourself at all if you're not in a stop-and-identify state.

I cannot believe some of the police state apologists in this thread. "If you just do everything the armed agents of the State ask you to do without question, even if you've done absolutely nothing wrong, things will go smoother. Why can't you just do it?" You've got to the kidding me. The only reason producing written identification would make a police encounter go smoother is because police officers often get aggressive in the first place when you choose to exercise your rights. You know what else would make the encounter go smoother? If the police just accepted that you have no obligation to produce your "papers," like they should.

Exercising one's rights is not being uncooperative. She's not the one detaining the police; they're the ones detaining her.

God damn this is a good post. Too much truth to bold.

J10

Banned
Just make prostitution legal. It doesn't make sense how the US handle prostitution.

And yes, Daniele Watts should make her case public. The problem is obvious and needs to be adressed on several level.

Make being born black legal also. It doesn't make sense how the US handle's blacks.

What the hell though :/. Police really need so little justification to stop someone!? even if someone called them, if questioned on it what would the cops say aroused their suspicion?

are we sure they were real cops?

This happens aaaalll the time. If you want to be stopped for prostitution:

1. Be black.
2. Be a woman.
3. Stand outside.
4. Be in a really bad neighborhood or a really good neighborhood.

damn that's fucked up. why is your police so fucked up.

Because a system of capitalism and white supremacy can only be maintained by force.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom