• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Actress Daniele Watts reported for lewd acts, goes nuts at police investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koomaster

So do these cops just roll up on every couple kissing and start asking questions or what's the deal here? Why the suspicion she's a prostitute just from kissing someone. I wanna know their fucked up logic on this.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
So do these cops just roll up on every couple kissing and start asking questions or what's the deal here? Why the suspicion she's a prostitute just from kissing someone. I wanna know their fucked up logic on this.

Someone called the police on them.

It is total bullshit that LAPD won't even check themselves, will absolutely wreck themselves, but we never really see any further development of responsibility. It's just a whole, "Whoopsies, we fucked up and no I'm toootally not rolling my eyes, I'm got patrol brb."

They refuse to be responsible. They're like teenagers, juniors in high school messing with the freshmen and sophomores. You're pathetic, grow the hell up and take some responsibility for what you're department is involved in. Bad apple in the bunch be damned, I don't give a shit. If you ain't trying for a rating of 10/10, then you're 0/10.

And fuck racists. :|

edit: I ranted right here. Sorry 'bout that.

Valhelm

contribute something
Someone called the police on them.

I think that a person calling the police literally because they assumed an interracial couple had to be a prostitute and a client is just as troubling the actual harassment.

The police accosted Ms. Watts because the call was made, and the call was only made because somebody believed a short-haired Black woman had to be a prostitute.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I think that a person calling the police literally because they assumed an interracial couple had to be a prostitute and a client is just as troubling the actual harassment.

The police accosted Ms. Watts because the call was made, and the call was only made because somebody believed a short-haired Black woman had to be a prostitute.

Is that even a stereotype? Short haired black woman = prostitute?

Maybe my decades of watching COPS has made me biased but my stereotype of US prostitutes is neither short-haired or black.

Valhelm

contribute something
Is that even a stereotype? Short haired black woman = prostitute?

Maybe my decades of watching COPS has made me biased but my stereotype of US prostitutes is neither short-haired or black.

It's not a stereotype, but having short hair tends to be associated with poverty because it's very different from what's mainstream among non-Black women.

Because the person who called the police assumed she was poor, they assumed the man she was kissing had to be paying her for sex.

Dram

The caller was probably just a racist who got upset at seeing an interracial couple.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Yeah, I saw that. :/

The photos are entertaining on their own but it's odd when attached to that article.

It's like "American police wrongfully arrest black person yet again. Meanwhile, in Britain:"
kIh0uGe.jpg

5u8PAgr.jpg

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Why am I not surprised that the usual police defenders appear?

Why am I not surprised that shit like this incident (and the guy that got arrested and missed the Emmy celebrations) continue to happen?

Why am I not surprised that people are bending themselves into knots (again) trying to see "another perspective" of what happened?

Got dammit, I am getting numb to this shit and that is a bad thing. :|
yCDrwKU.jpg

Replace man/men with cop/cops I guess.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Why am I not surprised that the usual police defenders appear?

Why am I not surprised that shit like this incident (and the guy that got arrested and missed the Emmy celebrations) continue to happen?

Why am I not surprised that people are bending themselves into knots (again) trying to see "another perspective" of what happened?

Got dammit, I am getting numb to this shit and that is a bad thing. :|
Where's that guy that does the big racist exposing posts, perhaps he needs to be here? :p

I'm sort of numbing too, if I'm honest. After a few weeks of Ferguson I just lost faith in due process and stopped following it and even just began rolling my eyes at subsequent racist stuff that got publicized. I find I'm not surprised that these incidents take place, but not surprised that nothing has changed even though critically bullshit cases are getting more and more attention with no momentum towards change. White America will never budge.

televator

police don't know they're racist, just like dogs don't know that Beggin Strips aren't bacon.

Oh god, now I'm picturing a bunch of googly eyed goof balls in uniforms sniffing out black folks for treats 'cause they're too clinically stupid to know any better. lololoololo

I really would feel like I took crazy pills for life if I was suddenly suspected of arm robbing a bank just because of my race.

I really would feel like I took crazy pills for life if I was suddenly suspected of arm robbing a bank just because of my race.

I wish I could think that is crazy pills induced...but I can't.

Welcome to being Black in America. #guiltyuntilproveninnocent

My brother was once detained for waiting at a bus stop. He was dressed in a suit and and going somewhere (I think to a friend's get together or something). He told me he was sitting there and the police passed him, drove up the road, turned around and then came back. They motioned for him to get up. They got out the car, hands on their guns, asking him what he was doing there. He said waiting for the bus. They then asked him, are you sure you're not acting as lookout to rob the liquor store? (Apparently there was liquor store behind him that had, according to them, been robbed several times.

He was handcuffed, had his ID checked and they ultimately "let him go".

He missed his bus, BTW.

Gross racial profiling.

I dont understand the ID part. Does prostitutes' IDs show professions on them? Why would it matter if she had shown her ID or not. Ridiculous.

She shouldn't have to show ID without the cops being able to demonstrate to her their legitimate grounds for suspicion.

Also, it's saying something that there were posters that were trying to take the cops' side on this. I really do not care for their precious side of the story where they would spin handcuffing a black woman who was only kissing her husband as justifiable.

I hope she will make them pay, and handsomely, for this injustice.

Valhelm

contribute something
The photos are entertaining on their own but it's odd when attached to that article.

It's like "American police wrongfully arrest black person yet again. Meanwhile, in Britain:"
kIh0uGe.jpg

5u8PAgr.jpg

I think the biggest difference between anti-Black racism in the US versus in Britain, is that most/all British Black people are the descendants of immigrants. They weren't legally separated from the white population for centuries, and their ancestors might have had experiences more similar to Polish Americans than African Americans.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
I don't get how people don't see the Nazi comparison. "Show me your papers!" Who did you imagine saying that? A nazi, most likely.
Well, I live in Germany as a foreigner and I always have to carry my ID around in case the Police wants to see it. Had to show it numerous times in my youth.

Melchior

This is fucking disgusting. I don't even understand what they were thinking. Or if they were even thinking at all.
EDIT: Should clarify I'm talking about the police.

I just want to make a correction. The D in her name is silent but the payback shouldn't be.
And what if she was a prostitute? They don't arrest them randomly off the street do they?

Am I the only one wondering why the husband wasn't also detained? I mean their idiotic assumption was that she was a prostitute and he'd hired her, right? Isn't hiring a prostitute just as illegal as being one?

DOWN

Banned
Am I the only one wondering why the husband wasn't also detained? I mean their idiotic assumption was that she was a prostitute and he'd hired her, right? Isn't hiring a prostitute just as illegal as being one?

Curious about that now too. I'd really love to hear these officers try to explain this whole thing.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

Curious about that now too. I'd really love to hear these officers try to explain this whole thing.

I posted this on the last page:

Because of my past experience with the law, I gave him my ID knowing we did nothing wrong and when they asked D for hers, she refused to give it because they had no right to do so.

Man this is fucked up. Is it normal as a black person to be paranoid about the way people perceive you? This just does nothing but reinforce my paranoia and consciousness of my skin color. Kind-of sad.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Crazy. You guys did elect a black guy, right? Like, there is some kind of progress being made?
Conscious and subconscious racism is destroyed by discovering/realizing the real self by oneself. There are billion(s) of people living on planet Earth without even inquiring about the real self.

PatBot

Well, I live in Germany as a foreigner and I always have to carry my ID around in case the Police wants to see it. Had to show it numerous times in my youth.

Well, as an EU foreigner, which I assume you are (Italy?), you don´t have to have an ID on you in Germany by law, just as a German is not obliged to carry it around with him all the time. But they can then detain you until your identity is proven when they suspect you of a crime or if you are in an area where crime rate is high, so presenting an ID is unfortunately the only practical option, even if the law says otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom