• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Actress Daniele Watts reported for lewd acts, goes nuts at police investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigeon

Banned
I don't know much about police training but one would think they are trained to not coerce people if they don't have the legal right to do so.

This is untrue. Police officers are trained pretty explicitly to use implicit coercion like you just described (if I don't do what the cop says, I'll get in trouble or hurt) to get people to waive their constitutional rights. (Do you know how fast you were going?) It's a metric-seeking approach for them.

Just the fact that the cops asked for ID in this scenario should make it clear that, in fact, cops ask people to waive their rights all the time.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Well, as an EU foreigner, which I assume you are (Italy?), you don´t have to have an ID on you in Germany by law, just as a German is not obliged to carry it around with him all the time. But they can then detain you until your identity is proven when they suspect you of a crime or if you are in an area where crime rate is high, so presenting an ID is unfortunately the only practical option, even if the law says otherwise.
Yes, I'm Italian. Did they change this in the last years? I'm in Germany for almost 40 years. The first 20 or so I didn't even get a "unbefristete Aufenthaltsgenehmigung" and they told me to always carry my ID. I hate carrying my passport around.

edit
Sorry if this is too offtopic.

JDSN

Banned
7S4xOmP.png

Slammin' Sammy truly was head of the game. I bet ol' Sammy doesn't get detained by cops anymore. Come, bros. It's time we make the jump the the bright side.

Someone pass the bleaching cream and the meatloaf.

Yup, this is actually her fault for not bleaching and looking like some Dunmer from Morrowind.

Latin America never went through the whole Black is Beautiful movement. Black self hate i is pretty common in many countries there.

It's common everywhere, sadly. And not just Latian America, but anywhere people have dark skin. India and Jamacia are the biggest buyers of skin bleaching cream last I checked.

The struggle is real.

jordisok

Yup, this is actually her fault for not bleaching and looking like some Dunmer from Morrowind.

Oh shit hahahh

What the hell though :/. Police really need so little justification to stop someone!? even if someone called them, if questioned on it what would the cops say aroused their suspicion?

ICKE

Banned
There is often a disconnect between some American members and those who live in other countries regarding ID's and how officers operate in general. I've fallen to this same trap a few times.

In Europe once you gain legal access to any of the member states., you are not required to show papers outright but police can detain you in order to confirm your identity in case of suspicious activity. So essentially you have to show papers when asked, because otherwise you are going to be detained.

You have to provide a passport or a valid I.D card when you vote in any election as well. I believe these are common sense measures that every society should take in order to fight illegal immigration, crime and other such things. They become a problem when law enforcement does not treat citizens fairly but targets certain groups like in this case this woman was screened for apparently no valid reason.

Sometimes it is a tough choice for officers. If there is a substantial amount of illegal immigration from one specific origin in the area, you have to enforce the law but at the same time consider the human rights element before going all "Ihre papiere, bitte!" on some female showing affection in public or doing the same for construction workers.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
wow that's pretty unbelievable in this day and age. i wonder what will come of it?

and that sammy sosa!!!

The LAPD has said that there's no official record of the incident as she wasn't formally arrested, so probably nothing.

Dougald

There is often a disconnect between some American members and those who live in other countries regarding ID's and how officers operate in general. I've fallen to this same trap a few times.

In Europe once you gain legal access to any of the member states., you are not required to show papers outright but police can detain you in order to confirm your identity. So essentially you have to show papers when asked, because otherwise you are going to be arrested.

You have to provide a passport or a valid I.D card when you vote in any election as well. These are common sense measures that every society should take in order to fight illegal immigration, crime and other such things. They become a problem when law enforcement does not treat citizens fairly but targets certain groups like in this case this woman was screened for apparently no valid reason.

Sometimes it is a tough choice for officers. If there is a substantial amount of illegal immigration from one specific origin in the area, you have to enforce the law but at the same time consider the human rights element before going all "Ihre papiere, bitte!" on some female showing affection in public or doing the same for construction workers.

Most of this is not true for the UK. IIRC you can't be detained for refusing to show ID unless suspected of an offence, and you definitely don't need any to vote. We don't even have ID cards

neorej

ERMYGERD!

In Europe once you gain legal access to any of the member states., you are not required to show papers outright but police can detain you in order to confirm your identity. So essentially you have to show papers when asked, because otherwise you are going to be arrested.

You have to provide a passport or a valid I.D card when you vote in any election as well. These are common sense measures that every society should take in order to fight illegal immigration, crime and other such things. They become a problem when law enforcement does not treat citizens fairly but targets certain groups like in this case this woman was screened for apparently no valid reason.

Sometimes it is a tough choice for officers. If there are a lot of illegal immigrants in the vicinity from one specific origin, you have to enforce the law but at the same time consider the human rights element.
Yeah no. Europe is not a country and every European country has it's own laws. In Holland, you're obliged to carry an ID at all times. Cops can ask you for an ID, but only if they have a reason to, you're legally entitled to know that reason before showing the ID. If they fail to present a valid cause, you may either walk away or demand the cop's badge number and weapon ID, so you can file a complaint.

OT: How did the US police system get so fucked up? Do they as special ingredients to the water in the academies or something?

ICKE

Banned
Yeah no. Europe is not a country and every European country has it's own laws. In Holland, you're obliged to carry an ID at all times. Cops can ask you for an ID, but only if they have a reason to, you're legally entitled to know that reason before showing the ID. If they fail to present a valid cause, you may either walk away or demand the cop's badge number and weapon ID, so you can file a complaint.

OT: How did the US police system get so fucked up? Do they as special ingredients to the water in the academies or something?

I was talking from the perspective of union legislation. Member states can decide the level of scrutiny, detaining a citizen is allowed in order to find out his identity (when there is suspicious activity). ID's are pretty much mandatory in every European country when you vote - UK is an exception but they only send the voter cards to valid addresses? But anyway, I just don't understand how the officers assumed that this woman was a prostitute. Was she leaning towards a car window while they were kissing like in some Seinfeld episode or was it an area where prostitutes frequent? Really hard to comprehend how a person reacts that way unless he has some strong preconceptions.

TCRS

Banned
damn that's fucked up. why is your police so fucked up.

Because you don't have to. This is California, not Nazi Germany.

hey, even in todays germany you have to carry and show a valid ID when asked. It's why things like crying over IDs at election booths doesn't make any sense to us.

danthefan

In Ireland we don't have ID cards, you don't have to carry ID, and while I always bring some ID to vote I'm rarely asked as long as I have my polling card. Also never been asked for ID by the police despite being stopped the odd time.

Derwind

Wow... fuck these cops...

No good honest white man would be caught kissing a coloured woman. She must be a whore.

Fuck....

Neo C.

Just make prostitution legal. It doesn't make sense how the US handle prostitution.

And yes, Daniele Watts should make her case public. The problem is obvious and needs to be adressed on several level.

PatBot

hey, even in todays germany you have to carry and show a valid ID when asked

Sorry to get slightly offtopic again but this is not the case. You have to own an ID but you are not obliged to carry it around with you.

It's why things like crying over IDs at election booths doesn't make any sense to us.

It´s perfectly legal to vote in Germany just using your polling card. Only if they suspect you are not that person they can demand an ID card.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Sorry to get slightly offtopic again but this is not the case. You have to own an ID but you are not obliged to carry it around with you.

Same in Spain. You need to own an ID card and you are obligued to show it to any policeman who demands to see it with due reason, but you don't actually need to carry it with you.

That said, "due reason" usually means "because I said so" and that bit about not needing to carry it is often forgotten by a disturbing amount of turdlings with a badge.

In any case, ID laws had fuck all to do with the policemen in the OT being prime assholes in dire need of finding a different line of work. They humiliated a law abiding citizen in public, in front of her husband, for no other reason than being a black woman in the company of a white man.

wildfire

Banned
An incident like this is earth shattering for the victim. I probably would be tearing up and shaking if I was profiled like this.

I really don't understand how you could make a mistake like that. They fucked up. Were they even in area known for prostitution? Was she on a street corner? Was she leaning into a car? I want to hear their excuse because it sounds like all they were doing was kissing in broad daylight.

Looking at the picture the cop is genuinely baffled so it looks like prostitutes are being racially profiled as black is my only guess.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
And no one would've given a shit if she weren't an actress...
Yes, people with a higher profile tend to make the news on account of having a higher profile.

Or are you saying that the people protesting this wouldn't feel outraged if she were any random innocent black woman?

At least media attention may bring higher scrutiny.

The police are literally agents of the State whose job it is to figure out something you've done wrong, arrest you for it, and get you convicted. There is no obligation, practical or moral, to produce written identification for them. There is no obligation, practical or moral, to identify yourself at all if you're not in a stop-and-identify state.

I cannot believe some of the police state apologists in this thread. "If you just do everything the armed agents of the State ask you to do without question, even if you've done absolutely nothing wrong, things will go smoother. Why can't you just do it?" You've got to the kidding me. The only reason producing written identification would make a police encounter go smoother is because police officers often get aggressive in the first place when you choose to exercise your rights. You know what else would make the encounter go smoother? If the police just accepted that you have no obligation to produce your "papers," like they should.

Exercising one's rights is not being uncooperative. She's not the one detaining the police; they're the ones detaining her.

Why are you routinely handcuffed in the US? Your freedom is removed IMMEDIATELY, even if you are completely innocent. The only time that happens in the UK is if they suspect you of being violent.
I guess because the police are armed they cuff you to stop you going for their guns. Fucking moronic.

And this fuck up? The public need to give the police absolute hell. Absolute hell and never back down.

wildfire

Banned
Where's that guy that does the big racist exposing posts, perhaps he needs to be here? :p

I'm sort of numbing too, if I'm honest. After a few weeks of Ferguson I just lost faith in due process and stopped following it and even just began rolling my eyes at subsequent racist stuff that got publicized. I find I'm not surprised that these incidents take place, but not surprised that nothing has changed even though critically bullshit cases are getting more and more attention with no momentum towards change. White America will never budge.

It's not like these changes can just happen instantly. You participated in threads with people actively defending racial profiling or donating money to scum of the earth because they couldn't be convinced. Policy changes take a few months at the minimum and easily 2 years on average.

DOWN

Banned
The LAPD has said that there's no official record of the incident as she wasn't formally arrested, so probably nothing.
Wow. They don't have to mention they detained someone? Guess they didn't want record of their mistake.

n64coder

So the police got a call about prostitution activity and described the couple. They drive over and see the couple doing a lot of kissing. So what should they do? I mean, they need to investigate the report, write up the incident, and then go on their way, right? What would you want the police to do?

I don't understand why they had to handcuff her. Nor do I understand why someone reported them in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom