• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumour] MS France: 36.2 Millions of Xbox One sold worldwide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bgamer90

Banned
Didn't Sony say they were ahead 2-1 in the US and at least 3-1 in Europe? If that was true where would Microsoft be making up the numbers?

PS4 isn't ahead 2-1 in the U.S.. Maybe during the first five months of 2017 only but definitely not overall. The split between Xbox One and PS4 in the U.S. is around 45/55 the last time I checked.

Didn't Sony say they were ahead 2-1 in the US and at least 3-1 in Europe? If that was true where would Microsoft be making up the numbers?

This is most likely shipped while Sonys numbers are sold through.

Yet still that number sounds too high imo.

R aka Bon

I can believe shipped numbers, those are pretty decent numbers too, especially for consoles that don't have any exclusives, Xbox members loyalty is really awesome.

Why is this okay again?

Hopefully the system gains even more traction with awesome new hardware and games coming out :)

Office has always been near the top for like forever.

Of course, businesses NEED Office because the alternatives are not good enough. The move from traditional Office with volume licensing to cloud-based, subscription based service is driving even more revenue.

Tratorn

Those 2-1 lead over the XB1 in US is for the last few months, not the all time sales. LTD difference is a bit over 2m.

The other image is even more interesting.

a01.jpg

this one is way more interesting;)
top5_tech_diversityj4sag.jpg

1. NA not US only
2. very very rough number used to make a point
3. just recently - not on a lifetime sales base

Shipped numbers? I can see it.

Xbox above Windows in revenue is interesting. They pretty much gave Windows 10 free everywhere and are counting on subscriptions for Office and server stuff. Which is a smart move in the long term.

Calm Mind

Xbox 360 had the lead over the PS3 and that caught up. I can see a similar situation happening this gen as well.

KageMaru

I've never kept track of console sales, is the XBO still outpacing the 360 in sales? I thought I read that it was earlier in the generation. If it is, where was the 360 at this point of it's life cycle?

Edit:

Xbox 360 had the lead over the PS3 and that caught up. I can see a similar situation happening this gen as well.

No way. There are reasons Sony caught up last gen that MS can't replicate.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
That number doesn't seem doubtful. I was expecting them to be around 30-31 million.

exact 2:1 gap

0% chance of that.

not only Xbox brand is not strong across the globe but also Sony had so many heavy hitters on their second half of the gen.

In Microsoft's case, its the opposite.

Bgamer90

Banned

I can't. Xbox brand doesn't have as much strength outside of North America and UK as the Playstation brand.

Microsoft could have possibly caught up to Sony in North America (onl) if the Xbox One X came in at $399 but it's not.

Thought they were around 30, but congrats if they've upped it. Had to switch my son to Xbox as all his buddies from school own one lol.

LordRaptor

The PS3 was routinely outsold by the 360 in North America but was making up the difference in territories like Europe and Japan.

I genuinely do not believe that Xbox is making up the difference in Europe or Japan.

JlNX

That's 6 million higher than I thought, wait so its not 2:1 playstation. Why didn't they announce this, actively not announcing it has hurt them people were thinking it was under 30 million. I wonder by how much the X will increase those sales.

We're supposed to believe Xbox made 11% of $85B = $9.35 billion in revenue per annum?

yes, those are official numbers from the 10K and 10Q reports for the SEC
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Investor/sec-filings.aspx

I would love to see OTHER defined. Half their revenue was Office and Server/Azure but their OTHER is nearly 20%, what could it be? Surface and Xbox are separate so...accessories? No.

majority of others is royalties
DCh73ImXkAE5G0y.jpg:large

Shipped numbers? I can see it.

Xbox above Windows in revenue is interesting. They pretty much gave Windows 10 free everywhere and are counting on subscriptions for Office and server stuff. Which is a smart move in the long term.

They gave windows for free, but to a portion that almost never bought new windows. The crude of the sales (OEM PCs and corporation licenses) were unaffected by that giveaway.

What truly hurt it, is that the sales from OEMs are dwelling down, (hence why they entered in the hardware market with the surface line, to reignite OEMs to compete with apple and google's offerings). I have no idea about the business market for windows is declining or not though.

Bgamer90

Banned
That 6 million higher than I thought, wait so its not 2:1 playstation. Why didn't they announce this, actively not announcing it has hurt them people were thinking it was under 30 million.

Still pretty far behind regardless though which is why MS isn't going to talk about it much.

That's 6 million higher than I thought, wait so its not 2:1 playstation. Why didn't they announce this, actively not announcing it has hurt them people were thinking it was under 30 million. I wonder by how much the X will increase those sales.

They didn't announce it because the number is either shipped or not true at all. It doesn't mesh with any data we have, which points to it being heavily incorrect.

Also, I don't think MS is going to announce any sales milestones anytime soon.

Xbox 360 was relatively popular outside the US, the Xbox One isn't.
It's more likely that the Switch will catch X1 on sales than the X1 catching PS4.

AmFreak

No.
Dreamcast also had the lead over PS2, because it launched earlier.
The same is true for 360/ps3.
It's not true this gen.
Saying that the One can close a gap of 25-30 million is insane.

gamz

They gave windows for free, but to a portion that almost never bought new windows. The crude of the sales (OEM PCs and corporation licenses) were unaffected by that giveaway.

What truly hurt it, is that the sales from OEMs are dwelling down, (hence why they entered in the hardware market with the surface line, to reignite OEMs to compete with apple and google's offerings). I have no idea about the business market for windows is declining or not though.

Windows was never a huge revenue earner for consumers and you're right all the money came from business. I mean how many consumers actually buy windows directly?

Windows was never a huge revenue earner for consumers and you're right all the money came from business. I mean how many consumers actually buy windows directly?

Most consumers bought Windows through their OEM laptops or desktops. So yeah, business was/is the big driver.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Is it plausible that the US percentage of WW sales is under 50%? Which would be the case if these numbers are true.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I could see this being shipped numbers. Didn't people estimate ~29 million after the BC usage stats came out?

Fake, According to Sony the PS4 is outselling the XBO at 3:1 ratio in Europe, Whe have the estimates of the NPD and they are death is Japan... Or Maybe they are selling millions in Brazil and India, China?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom