• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: NX to use carts. Analysts have said an announcement could be prior to TGS

When will Nintendo unveil the NX?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Is the common opinion still that this console is coming out around March time? Never seems like a good time to launch a console to be honest...

MacTag

Banned
I like carts better except for the fact your saves are on them.

You always have to think twice before trading in a cart because you won't get your saves back.

NOt that Nintendo couldn't fix that in 2 seconds, but I think they like it.
I feel like they may just drop the EEPROM pool for on card saves. It'll save them money on manufacturing and help unify their cloud saving plan with MyNintendo. Customers have gotten used enough to separate saves on hardware based storage by now anyway there's no real need to keep it.

RibMan

Excellent news! It seems we'll know what it is next week.

A real shame. There is a warmth you get when playing a game off a disc that you can't really replicate with flash based storage.

Ah, installing 50GB games at a Snail's pace...such a fuzzy feeling.

What's a fair ballpark range for us to expect game size to be? I'm curious what size of carts they'll be using, especially if the rumor of the NX having 32 gigs of onboard memory is legit.

I like carts better except for the fact your saves are on them.

You always have to think twice before trading in a cart because you won't get your saves back.

NOt that Nintendo couldn't fix that in 2 seconds, but I think they like it.

They already said months ago they'd have cloud saving

A real shame. There is a warmth you get when playing a game off a disc that you can't really replicate with flash based storage.

Load times?

MacTag

Banned
What's a fair ballpark range for us to expect game size to be? I'm curious what size of carts they'll be using, especially if the rumor of the NX having 32 gigs of onboard memory is legit.
Rumor is 32GB games right now. Which makes sense, 3DS launched with 2GB games and included a 2GB SD card for storage. Later on we got 4GB games and they started bundling 4GB cards.

J-Skee

What's the backwards compatibility situation like? Will it except discs? Will you be able to download older games through the eShop? I held off the Wii U because I just assumed Nintendo would want that in, but now I'm not so sure.

MCN

Banned
What's the backwards compatibility situation like? Will it except discs? Will you be able to download older games through the eShop? I held off the Wii U because I just assumed Nintendo would want that in, but now I'm not so sure.

Most likely not going to happen. Where would you even put a disc?

MacTag

Banned
No backwards compatibility.

Is the common opinion still that this console is coming out around March time? Never seems like a good time to launch a console to be honest...

I never believe that date despit how many time they said otherwise. I don't really see a reason for Nintendo to rush the NX out. They're getting a hold of mobile market with PGo, why don't double down those and ride on 3DS last breath a little longer while the NX is cooking? Release PGo season 2 next year and a few more mobile games. Get some more games for 3 ds and probably a game or 2 for WiiU. That should be enough to stall NX release date to summer.

Yeah no backwards compatibility. A disc reader on a handheld would be atrociously uncomfortable. But I'm sure you can expect some Wii U ports to make it over to NX (Smash Definitive Edition?). And Virtual Console will almost surely be a thing.

21XX

Banned
I never believe that date despit how many time they said otherwise. I don't really see a reason for Nintendo to rush the NX out. They're getting a hold of mobile market with PGo, why don't double down those and ride on 3DS last breath a little longer while the NX is cooking? Release PGo season 2 next year and a few more mobile games. Get some more games for 3 ds and probably a game or 2 for WiiU. That should be enough to stall NX release date to summer.

If they wanted to release it in Summer, they wouldn't have to stall with anything. That's only a few months. It wouldn't need games jammed in there to make it fine. It would just be the dead before the release.

Pokemon Go doesn't really figure in here, I think. Completely different markets, really, and I think that initiative will continue on regardless of when NX is announced/released.

I'm sticking with March. Then a big E3 to pave the way for a strong holiday lineup.

Or... none of that could happen. Nintendo is a strange, strange bird.

Plum

I hope they're right and we do get a reveal soon. I don't think I, or GAF can hold on much longer.

When they do reveal it they really, really need to stick the landing. A Direct format will simply not work for a big hardware reveal such as this, this needs to be like their past two E3s instead. The worst thing they could do to reveal the NX is make it out to be as important to them as your typical Direct reveals (even the bigger ones such as the N3DS).

Atheerios

I thought these were rumors? Doesn't have to be true.

Don't get me wrong, I want to have it as soon as possible too but don't you think releasing a console 3 months before E3 is weird?

There are 3 scenarios:
They release the console in March and show you all the upcoming games (they need to show you everything they can to convince you to buy it) - Then what will they show at E3?

They release in March but only release BotW and some smaller games. That would be fatal.

They unveil the console before E3 but the full blow-out is at E3 and they release it shortly after.

Not rumors, Nintendo specifically confirmed NX will be released in March.

J-Skee

Yeah no backwards compatibility. A disc reader on a handheld would be atrociously uncomfortable. But I'm sure you can expect some Wii U ports to make it over to NX (Smash Definitive Edition?). And Virtual Console will almost surely be a thing.

I've been out of the loop. There isn't a separate base unit? The handheld is also what you plug in to play on your TV?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Exactly. You get residual gameplay enhancements from the latent rotation. Even when I play digital games I have a silent vornado fan running in the room to create a fun vortex. And obviously some ceramic cable stands.

E-phonk

Banned
Get some more games for 3 ds and probably a game or 2 for WiiU. That should be enough to stall NX release date to summer.

I think they are already at their limit concerning easy/spinoff games/ports they can quickly produce, and even then development on those probably takes about 8-12 months each. After that last direct I actually think a delay might be possible, but it'll cost Nintendo big time while they'll have to sweat it out, having +5000 employees and almost no products on the market.

Only mobile revenue (which is still a bit of an unknown at the moment) doesn't cut it for a company the size of Nintendo. They need software and hardware that sell into multiple (ten) millions each year.

hatchx

Banned
They release in March but only release BotW and some smaller games. That would be fatal.

I highly doubt this would happen. They delayed from Q4 to Q1/2017 which gives them 5 extra months on titles.

It won't be hard for them to port Smash Bros 4 and a couple others to pad out the launch if games really aren't ready. There's also the potential for Pikmin 4, Animal Crossing, and Virtual Console, 3rd party ports, and remasters. It's safe to assume Namco, EAD Tokyo, Square-Enix, Monolith and Retro studios all have games decently far along in development. There's also Capcom, Sega, and Atlus which could have games underway.

I just don't think there's any reason to assume BotW is all they have ready. The WiiU and 3DS release calendar have been barebones for 2 years now, and Nintendo has been incredibly quiet about upcoming releases. I would be surprised if the first year of NX isn't pretty great.

I've been out of the loop. There isn't a separate base unit? The handheld is also what you plug in to play on your TV?

Theres a dock to output to a TV, but all of the guts and processing seems to happen in the handheld. The Eurogamer report is the most credible info we have at the moment and it's fairly clear on a lack of backwards compatibility. You can read up here if you want:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-26-nx-is-a-portable-console-with-detachable-controllers

Edit: Heres a more comprehensive list with the aforementioned back compat info:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-08-30-nintendo-nx-games-release-date-specs-price

J-Skee

Theres a dock to output to a TV, but all of the guts and processing seems to happen in the handheld. The Eurogamer report is the most credible info we have at the moment and it's fairly clear on a lack of backwards compatibility. You can read up here if you want:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-26-nx-is-a-portable-console-with-detachable-controllers

Wow, all of this is super interesting. Kind of a bummer of the BC side of things, but at least they heard reports of updated versions of games such as Splatoon & Smash Bros. Hopefully Bayonetta will be included in that as well.

Okay, I'm hyped. If they finally make that "console" Pokemon game, I'll be all over this.

EDIT: Thank you for the updated information.

I'm going to be very surprised if we hear "official" word of the NX announcement any further than a week out at this point.

I'm thinking we'll get an expertly crafted Direct that focuses solely on NX, how it works and the games that we can play at launch. Follow that up with some press events where people can get a hands-on impression. I previously wanted a press conference, but I think Nintendo wants a more controlled message than they can deliver on stage.

Okay, I'm hyped. If they finally make that "console" Pokemon game, I'll be all over this.

EDIT: Thank you for the updated information.

Anytime, glad to help out! My favorite part is that Nintendo can finally combine their handheld and console development onto one platform. They should hopefully be able to keep a steady stream of software support going for it, unlike the complete and utter bottoming out that happened with the Wii U last year.

As long as it's got good games on it, and a pretty good rate and number of them at that, I'm sold.

kennyamr

No new revelations but I'm glad that the pressure is on Nintendo to reveal the NX once and for all.

Even the non-gaming sites are starting to wonder what is going on with it.

KAL2006

Banned
I'm going to be very surprised if we hear "official" word of the NX announcement any further than a week out at this point.

I'm thinking we'll get an expertly crafted Direct that focuses solely on NX, how it works and the games that we can play at launch. Follow that up with some press events where people can get a hands-on impression. I previously wanted a press conference, but I think Nintendo wants a more controlled message than they can deliver on stage.

I'm warming up to Nintendo Directs

It gets me as hyped as a fill on conference. Whether it's a Direct or a stage conference. I'll be there to see the livestream and get hyped.

Rush? They delayed from this holiday season to March. That's 4-5 months later than when they wanted to launch it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
My guess is the "announcement" is just a reveal date.

Peterc

I would say the other way arround. I have it with cartridges.
Also a disc in handheld eat's battery and is also slow.

Nah, I want big plastic cartridges. I want to go back to the days where I could rip a game out, toss it to the side and throw another one in.

Discs forced me to be careful with games. They're too delicate.

How would it accept disks if it is cart based?

Top Bottom