• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens leaks (June 28th, Trailer, Screenshots, More)

Petrae

I would understand no Vita (due to piss-poor install base and sales potential), but limiting to New 3DS and locking out the majority of the handheld install base currently would be a very odd move to make. LEGO Star Wars ain't selling N3DS hardware.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
In for a new Lego Star Wars
Disappointed that it's not the rest of Clone Wars + Rebels
Also I thought EA was the only one allowed to make Star Wars games?
This only covers core games on consoles and PC.

Children's titles, casual titles, and mobile games are all available.

bman94

I'm not interested in the game but for the sake of Wii U owners I hope it doesn't have the shitty performance issues the Wii U version of Lego Jurassic Park had.

donny2112

So excited! Love the LEGO Star Wars games! Will wait for inevitable < $20 price on n3DS. PC for $7.50 later. :p

Shocked at no Vita and really a n3DS title? Isn't this gonna be the 2nd game exclusive to that system now?

Xenoblade, Binding of Isaac, LEGO Star Wars VII

Not much of a surprise, really. Yet another LEGO game.

Here's hoping that they will buck the trend and change things up with this one, so that it won't be as monotonous as the others.

EA: "pls understand, we can't give anymore TFA content in battlefront, disney will kill us for ruining canon"

WB "HI PALS, WE ARE GOING TO GIVE YOU THE ENTIRE MOVIE... IN A LEGO GAME!!! HAHAHA, WHO CARES ABOUT CANON? I KNOW EVERYONE WANTS TO SEE LEGO KYLO REN LOSE A BATTLE BECAUSE HE STEPPED ON A LEGO BRICK AND HURT HIS FOOT :laughingemoji:"

Nah, more like, "We don't want to devalue Bf2/3, one of which will be entirely NT."

EA: "pls understand, we can't give anymore TFA content in battlefront, disney will kill us for ruining canon"

WB "HI PALS, WE ARE GOING TO GIVE YOU THE ENTIRE MOVIE... IN A LEGO GAME!!! HAHAHA, WHO CARES ABOUT CANON? I KNOW EVERYONE WANTS TO SEE LEGO KYLO REN LOSE A BATTLE BECAUSE HE STEPPED ON A LEGO BRICK AND HURT HIS FOOT :laughingemoji:"

I want to see that! I guess this is what wb's announcment for tomorrow was? If so awesome! As far as batman/middle earth/dc comics stuff. Those announcments will probably come closer to e3.

TreIII

This only covers core games on consoles and PC.

Children's titles, casual titles, and mobile games are all available.

So, I wonder...would this at all mean that such "spin offs", like Lego SW, and maybe even another SW character appearing in a future Soulcalibur release, are at all feasible, now, since those would be entirely separate arrangements from whatever Disney has with EA?

TimFL

No fan of this after the LEGO Hobbit failure. Would rather have them wait for the other 2 movies or atleast pull an Indiana Jones and include Ep 1-6 too... in a remaster form (added dialogue etc).
I hope at least the cast is big and it has a proper open world. If they pull another Batman 3 I l'll be disappointed

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Disney to EA
vader.jpg

Brilliant.

The LEGO Star Wars games are some of my favorite LEGO games (LEGO SW3 really knocked it out of the park IMO really pushed the graphics of those games forward, nice looking set pieces, and some interesting new gameplay stuff like the RTS battles), so I'm excited about this...

...but I'm also a little iffy on the idea of it only including the single movie with some bits to bridge episodes 6+7. I hated that they rushed out LEGO Hobbit before the final movie and that never got DLC to include it either, so it's just 2/3's of that series. LEGO Indiana Jones pulled the same crap, but at least they made another one that included all 4 movies (even though the 4th was a turd).

I'd love it like someone mentioned earlier in the thread if they remade the original trilogy LEGO game with the production values of the current games (or made another graphical leap for the games like when LEGO SW3 came out).

Or honestly if they'd just wait until later in the year and include the Rouge One movie too (who knows maybe it will!).

KevinCow

Banned
Oh come on, they couldn't have waited for Episode IX and then done Lego Star Wars: The Sequel Trilogy? I can't think of another time they did a Lego game for only one movie.

Oh come on, they couldn't have waited for Episode IX and then done Lego Star Wars: The Sequel Trilogy? I can't think of another time they did a Lego game for only one movie.

The LEGO The Movie video game. I'm also not sure, but I think LEGO Star Wars 3 was based on the animated movie, but that might have had TV stuff in it too. For as much as I loved that game, I knew nothing of the source material characters or storylines, it was very confusing, haha.

LEGO Marvel Super Heroes and the Batman games haven't been based on any movies, so they are at least able to make good content without requiring films.

mreddie

Damn, they just released Avengers last week. These games are made quick.

LEGO Dimensions
LEGO Avengers
LEGO Force Awakens

Don't they have 2-3 studios under TT?

Jawmuncher

RIP vita, if you're losing Lego games you know the dark times have come.

Wait so was this supposed to be one of the reveals today from WB?

KevinCow

Banned
Damn, they just released Avengers last week. These games are made quick.

They've always been like that. They've been doing at least one every year since the original Lego Star Wars, and in many of those years they did two, and in some of those years they even did three.

Given how they churn these things out, it's kind of amazing how competent they tend to be.

I hope it's not WB's teased project (Seriously, the Lego series STARTED with Star Wars. That ain't an unprecedented partnership.) - but I would not be shocked if that's the exact case.

uSckHXa.jpg

Also judging by those screenshots, I'm guessing the trailer that drops tomorrow at 6am will be a shot-for-shot recreation of the initial teaser. Fun!

18-Volt

They should have waited until December and make it include both Ep. 7 and Rogue One. But it's ok if they're planning to add Rebels stuff.

I was hoping for a new Lego Star Wars, but I was expecting them to wait until episode 9 came out.

Then again, it's hard to leave the money on the table for a SW game about the newest and most successful movie.

kevin1025

Banned
Also worth noting from the Xbox Store page:

"The game will also feature exclusive playable content that bridges the story gap between Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi and Star Wars: The Force Awakens."

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
RIP vita, if you're losing Lego games you know the dark times have come.

Wait so was this supposed to be one of the reveals today from WB?

It's one announcement encompassing "two of the world's most popular brands". Lego and Star Wars fits the bill, as disappointed as those hoping for a Batman versus Superman game are probably going to be.

fernoca

Yep. As per that Xbox page...

Release Date: 6/28/2016
Developer:TT Games
Publisher:Warner Bros. Interactive
Genre:Action & Adventure

Game Description:"The Force is strong with this one… The No. 1 LEGO® videogame franchise triumphantly returns with a fun-filled, humorous journey based on the blockbuster Star Wars film. Play as Rey, Finn, Poe, BB-8, Kylo Ren, Han Solo, and the rest of your favorite characters from the movie!

In LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens, players relive the epic action from the blockbuster film Star Wars: The Force Awakens, retold through the clever and witty LEGO lens.

The game will also feature exclusive playable content that bridges the story gap between Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi and Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens also introduces Multi-Builds and Blaster Battles to the LEGO videogame universe. With Multi-Builds, use available LEGO bricks to open up new paths, then break them apart and re-build them again to open up another! And another! During Blaster Battles, use your surroundings as cover to stand against the First Order. "

Not on our end, but think things like RPGs and shooters and older audience oriented action/adventure titles.

I mean, I get the idea, but I feel like any agreement like that seems fairly ambiguous. Unless there's some pretty absurdly specific language in the contract, that would leave Disney a hell of a lot of wiggle room, and I really don't see how specific you could get when things like genre and target age-range are far from legal science.

We're not going to contest whether LEGO is a brand aimed at children, first and foremost, are we?

No, not at all. See above. It just seems like any kind of deal that involves genre and target markets is a bit... Odd. I mean, most of the time it's pretty clear what's primarily targeted at children, but I don't think "I know it when I see it" is exactly a useable concept in a videogame exclusivity contract. And going by ratings would be difficult, since Disney could easily nudge something like Rogue Squadron down into E10+ if they wanted the IP to go to someone else. Like I said, I just think anything other than a complete exclusivity deal (at least outside of mobile and of course Disney developed games) is just... Weird. I suppose it really doesn't matter to me either way in the end though, it's just a curiosity.

June 28th release date on the page. And wow, the visuals are fantastic.

I hope it's not WB's teased project (Seriously, the Lego series STARTED with Star Wars. That ain't an unprecedented partnership.) - but I would not be shocked if that's the exact case.

uSckHXa.jpg

Also judging by those screenshots, I'm guessing the trailer that drops tomorrow at 6am will be a shot-for-shot recreation of the initial teaser. Fun!

Shiiiit those screenshots. Damn, looking awesome.

The screenshots with black bars are a cg trailer. The in-game screenshots look good...but may not look as good as those.

Yup, I see that now. Should have realized that at first, because the letterboxed images are on-par with the Lego Movie, particularly in terms of materials and lighting, far above the in-game quality. Probably the same studio.

Those screenshots look gorgeous as hell for a LEGO game... That's movie quality visuals.

It looks like almost all those shots are from a highly polished Lego-ized version of the film's first teaser. Probably what they'll use to "announce" it. I'm guessing that shot of Han, Leia and Chewie is the only one representative of what the actual game looks like.

Still, though, I'll jump on this. I haven't really played much of a Lego game since the original two Lego Star Wars, but I think this is what it takes to bring me back.

So, based on that Endor screenshot, the bonus missions that bridge Jedi and Awakens start immediately after, or even during Jedi? Interesting. I wonder how extensive it will be and what material they'll be adapting for it.

That would be a poor excuse since there are more sold 3DS handhelds than N3DS.

The N3DS still has a stable future, though. Even if the NX is Nintendo's next handheld, the N3DS has another 2-3 years of sales in it. Combine that with the eternal appeal of Star Wars/Lego - WB really can't lose.

kevin1025

Banned
So, based on that Endor screenshot, the bonus missions that bridge Jedi and Awakens start immediately after, or even during Jedi? Interesting. I wonder how extensive it will be and what material they'll be adapting for it.

I'm wondering if that's going to be the pre-Maz Kanata part, the journey from the Falcon to her place through the jungle.

That would be a poor excuse since there are more sold 3DS handhelds than N3DS.

Well, the vanilla 3DS's issue would be power.

The N3DS still has a stable future, though. Even if the NX is Nintendo's next handheld, the N3DS has another 2-3 years of sales in it. Combine that with the eternal appeal of Star Wars/Lego - WB really can't lose.

It's also possible the NX handheld winds up being n3DS-compatible, and TT/Warner made the decision knowing that the game could still sell on that platform as well.

Top Bottom