• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge: Catalyst Closed Beta Thread | Didn't Get An Email? Keep Faith

A2theFake

Neo Member
It's really easy to complain about sequels, so here I go!

- must unlock basic skills
- open world means going through the same areas over and over
- loading times are abysmal
- too many stupid fucking collectibles and shit
- too much text & menus

This. You basically take the words out of my mouth.
Especially the loading times are a huge deal breaker for me (even on a potent PC). They basically discourage me to do time trials more than 2-3 times.

This. You basically take the words out of my mouth.
Especially the loading times are a huge deal breaker for me (even on a potent PC). They basically discourage me to do time trials more than 2-3 times.

Needs instant restarts, particularly for Time Trials.

It is what kept me going on the Trials games.

StoveOven

Banned
I didn't feel like the load times were long at all. The time trials ones (which are really the ones that matter), seemed to be less than 10 seconds.

Strootman

How in the hell am I supposed to get the mag rope? It says to complete the mission savant extraordinaire but where is this mission?

Also, how long this beta last?

Btw the game is awesome, it's everything I always wanted from a mirror's edge sequel, the mix of graphic/gameplay/music is just perfect.

StoveOven

Banned
How in the hell am I supposed to get the mag rope? It says to complete the mission savant extraordinaire but where is this mission?

Also, how long this beta last?

Btw the game is awesome, it's everything I always wanted from a mirror's edge sequel, the mix of graphic/gameplay/music is just perfect.

That mission isn't in the Beta. You can go to the marker, but then it just gives you a Thank You message and disappears.

Had signed up for both PC and PS4, but ended up only getting the PS4 code. I really doubt I'll play it on PS4 so, first to PM me gets the key.

Edit: Taken

Strootman

That mission isn't in the Beta. You can go to the marker, but then it just gives you a Thank You message and disappears.
Huh, so I'm dome with the beta? Because there is this mission in the map called "mischief maker" but to get there I think I need this mag rope.

Tabasco

Might be dumb to ask, since you might have tried it, but did you cancel out of the time trial? Finishing time trials last night warped me back to where I was when I decided to start that time trial but cancelling out of the race left me where I was.
Time trials were not accessible to me at that point of the game except Birdman's run if that counts.

I did both finishing that run and canceling it out, but I was returned to the same place both times. Literally a softlock.

Walpurgis

Banned
Another good thing about the game is that those third person takedown moments aren't even all that common, throughout 3-4 hours of gameplay, I encountered it only once, and it was because it was the first takedown of the game.
I am usually against 3rd person takedowns but they are so infrequent that I don't mind them here. In fact, I actually enjoy the slick presentation.

N° 2048

I like it, first thing I did was disable Runner's Vision. Why do games want to hold hands so much sometimes? ugh

Had a really cool moment just now. Was doing a delivery mission and kept failing, failing, just not making it in time. Missed something off the start and jumped off the building to suicide out and try again...and I caught onto a zipline and found a massive shortcut. Finished the mission right there

Wanderer5

I like it, first thing I did was disable Runner's Vision. Why do games want to hold hands so much sometimes? ugh

Teh casuals.:p Just be glad they gave you the option to turn it off (and even just have it like the original).

Anyway, I just realize that I don't think I seen any third person takedown beside the first encounter of a enemy either lol, but the more infrequent they are the better.

And I kind of dig the billboard spots, where you have to find a way to get up to the billboard for hacking. Least a couple took a bit to figure out how to get up to them.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I am usually against 3rd person takedowns but they are so infrequent that I don't mind them here. In fact, I actually enjoy the slick presentation.

Yeah, I was like "Damn, I want to see what else she can do" and there were none in the entire beta! That's some good restraint, I got to admit. Thought it was going to fall in the "Press A for Awesome" problem, but it's done pretty well from what I played.

N° 2048

Because the majority of game players are casual. Real question is why don't hardcore gamers realize that?

Ok ok sorry -.-

Anywho, playing more and the framerate snaps me out of it. A game like this needs to be locked and not dip so much. (PS4)

Flipyap

Those social event markers definitely shouldn't be red. Ideally, there should be no red anywhere in the environment.
Red is supposed to be used for guidance, instead the world is filled with red activity markers, collectibles with red lights and there are red elements on billboards (which only become more eye-catching if they animate).

I don't know how the devs managed to miss the point so badly. It's a fairly significant issue and it becomes apparent immediately if you try playing with Classic Runner Vision.

jediyoshi

Man it is a massive design fuck up somewhere along the line when you dedicate an entire controller button to a function and that function is locked behind an unlockable skill tree.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
It is normal to see your gamertag in the xbox version in the screen moving? Can i stream the game? If yes why to put your name in the screen like a private beta with no possibility to stream?

Blizzard

Banned
It is normal to see your gamertag in the xbox version in the screen moving? Can be streamed the game? If yes why to put your name in the screen like a private beta with no possibility to stream?
I think you can share all you want. Maybe they originally intended a NDA beta and just left the watermark.

*edit* STILL no one has found my Beat LE point in the safehouse. I'm wondering if it's bugged, or only shows up for a few people.

Blizzard

Banned
A friend checked and my point didn't even show up, but a bunch of others did. I guess it's sort of random? Or maybe geography-based / skill-tier-based.

Skrams

I feel like my flow in this post is messy, but whatever.

Feels like Mirror's Edge to me, but added fluff. I appreciate them going for 60fps and some stuff like the FOV slider is neat on consoles. I really wish the combat wasn't so doofy though. Making it so my main form of attack is just pushing doods around is not much better than the first. Especially with their pretty giant health bars. I guess that will become better with more of the skill tree unlocked, but bleh. At least the traversal combat is actually super alright. Consistent easy takedowns while running from jumping off practically anything. I also think the focus shield is a really great idea. Keep up your running and you can't get hit. No random RNG shit.

Locking abilities you already had behind the skill tree is also annoying. At least you upgrade rather quickly in the beta. Not sure if the full game will be different. This also makes tackling time trials kind of worthless early on. There's one time trial I am .2 seconds away from getting 3 stars. I can see a grapple point though and know if I had it I would easily be able to clear the 3 star time. Just have to come back later or find a different route which would still probably be slower compared to the grapple.

Otherwise the open world is fine and I'm enjoying running around. I set runner vision to classic since I assume runner vision faith just stays up forever if you have it fully on. That's a bit annoying. Also just color all your doors red so I know I can open them if I can. Don't make me stare around thinking how do I get up on this building and mark the door with a fucking R2 button of all things instead of just making it red.

There's also the overabundance of collectibles which do I don't know. I'm constantly running around seeing more and more to pick up. Shit's always 5 steps away from one another. Should probably make all of them as quick as possible if they're going to have so many. Like I shouldn't have to stop to pick up documents. I should just be able to hit X while running past them.

I enjoy what seems to be an abundance of time trial like activities. That's kind of the point of the game so stuff like get from there to here in 42 seconds or get from there to here quick and don't land poorly. Or stuff like maintain a combo by hopping off all these enemies.

Overall I'm enjoying it, but I feel like the added skill tree fluff along with collectibles is ehhhhhh. Also the beta's kinda a lot bigger than I expected. I played a good chunk yesterday and need to play some more today. Shit's also a beta-ass beta with a huge beta text moving around on the screen at all times.

Edit- Also yeah, I feel like runner vision is fucking weird sometimes. Mostly doors not being highlighted red when say it's the only door up to Birdman. Also this bag keeps making noise as a collectible even though I already picked it up. The one right near Birdman. Yeah, these bag sounds are totally bugged out. Keep making noise even after collected on another bag too.

Why are Birdman's texture so fucking dark?

Can't tell I've run into a bug or not.

Doing a delivery mission and the runner vision just ends in the middle of nowhere and I just end up stranded with no clue where to go after that.

Edit: Okay nevermind, the runner vision is just incomplete and/or sucks. It's up on a roof nearby.

Blizzard

Banned
Can't tell I've run into a bug or not.

Doing a delivery mission and the runner vision just ends in the middle of nowhere and I just end up stranded with no clue where to go after that.

Edit: Okay nevermind, the runner vision is just incomplete and/or sucks. It's up on a roof nearby.
Was it the fragile vial run? That bugged out for several people. I had to look at the map constantly.

Was it the fragile vial run? That bugged out for several people. I had to look at the map constantly.

Didn't catch the name so I'm not sure.

The trail leads you right to some stairs downward to the henchman woman when you have to go straight and jump up to find the delivery point. Threw me off hard until I looked on the map and noticed it seemed like the delivery point was at a higher elevation.

TripOpt55

Having a lot of fun with the beta. Count me among those who were nervous about the game before playing for myself. I don't think any of my worries were unfounded. They are all issues, but they just seem small in the grand scheme of things. Some thoughts:

Good Stuff
-Freerunning still feels great. There is nothing quite like movement in this series and I still love it. Getting into a flow is such a great feeling.
-I'm glad we still have some linear sections within story missions to play. Level design in these have been solid.
-Dashes are great. Just like in the first game these have a lot of depth. Finding the right line. Utilizing the right moves at the right times. Trying little techniques to shave time off. These will be addictive.
-Just running through the city and finding your own lines and paths is pretty fun on its own.
-I like the billboard side missions as they add a little puzzle element to the platforming. Kind of like a Prince of Persia, how do I get from point A to point B sort of thing.
-User created time trials should add even more replay value (I haven't tried making one myself yet).
-I really like some of the new traversal moves.
-What I have heard of the music has been pretty good (the first game's soundtrack is my favorite game OST, so I am excited for this one).

Bad Stuff
-The story seems like it could be pretty bad. Seems a bit more intrusive than the first game too, but that may be just because this is the start of the game. Free-roaming, it is obviously much more minimal.
-The combat when not on the run, feels pretty clunky. If they were not forcing you into situations where you had to take on enemies in this fashion, this wouldn't be a problem but they did. Hoping this is because they are teaching you things early in the game.
-Feels like it has a bit of open-world bloat.
-Locking moves away is infinitely stupid. To not have the skill roll for even a few minutes was silly. Same goes for quick turn and coil and so on. If they were looking to ease players into the moves they could have done so without hamstringing advanced players. It does seem you'll have everything unlocked in a hurry though at least.
-Faith feels less weighty when moving? I'm not even sure if this is a negative. I have already sort of gotten used to it.
-Artstyle isn't as good. This is subjective I guess, but it doesn't have the standout contrast of the first game.

Despite listing a lot of bad, I really like it. My opinion went up as I played it more and could just focus on running and doing dashes and the like. I can't wait to play the full game. I see myself practicing and working on the time trials for years just like in the first game.

Blizzard

Banned
-I like the billboard side missions as they add a little puzzle element to the platforming. Kind of like a Prince of Persia, how do I get from point A to point B sort of thing.
I liked one that was really high. I actually got an uncomfortable feeling like vertigo or something, I was so afraid of falling off and having to redo it.

Salarians

Good write up, mirrors my own thoughts.

My main concern right now is the length and depth of the campaign missions. I know it was just the first four missions (of apparently 16?) but they were all pretty simple and brief. I'm sure they won't all be like that further into the game but I can't help but worry.

TripOpt55

I liked one that was really high. I actually got an uncomfortable feeling like vertigo or something, I was so afraid of falling off and having to redo it.

I am hoping they get trickier (and perhaps higher!) as the game goes on.

Good write up, mirrors my own thoughts.

My main concern right now is the length and depth of the campaign missions. I know it was just the first four missions (of apparently 16?) but they were all pretty simple and brief. I'm sure they won't all be like that further into the game but I can't help but worry.

Didn't realize that was such a significant chunk of the story. That is concerning. I'm not sure the open-world stuff could make up for the lack of compelling main campaign missions if that is the case. I still really covet those more linear missions especially for a platformer like this. So as you say, I hope they get more complex and meatier as the story rolls on at least.

ViciousDS

Banned

I personally enjoy it...... After using it for the good portion of the beta I have memorized the rooftops and now know optimal paths thanks to it.

Glad they give other players options for it.

I didn't want to get to far in the beta, I'm loving it way too much and want to save most of it for launch.

This is a definite pickup for me

oh man the Open World frame rate jitters around missions waypoints are killing me. Completely destroys the "runner flow" of the game. I've had a handful of deaths already because of it

I hope this stuff isn't present in the full game.

Other than that it's growing on me. Rooftops, albeit these minimalist ones, are surprisingly fun to traverse. The new combat system is much funnier than before.

Are we going to be able to play this offline once the beta officially ends? I just rented Quantum Break and want to know if I can finish it and go back to Mirror's Edge on my own time or not.

Harlequin

I didn't feel like the load times were long at all. The time trials ones (which are really the ones that matter), seemed to be less than 10 seconds.

Most of them aren't that long on their own but when you're doing a tricky time trial and have to restart it over and over again because you've messed up, those loading times add up and it can get incredibly frustrating.

Jhn

Anyone else feel like the thumbstick deadzones are ridiculous? It's really hard to make small adjustments.

Well I've really liked what I've played so far. It does sort of fall into that Ubisoftish open world formula but honestly I feel like it kind of works for a game like Mirror's Edge.

Probably not going to pump too much more time into the beta, want to hold off for the full release.

Well I've really liked what I've played so far. It does sort of fall into that Ubisoftish open world formula but honestly I feel like it kind of works for a game like Mirror's Edge.

Probably not going to pump too much more time into the beta, want to hold off for the full release.

yeah same

now that ive given the beta a go round i pre ordered from bestbuy

20% off with $5 coupon

sweet deal baby!

Just got off the first three missions and some side missions, and I have to say I'm really digging it. I just beat the first game about two days ago and it was a really good game, only gripes were the guns and clunky combat.

Open world took a little getting use to because my brain was wrapped around linear paths so that took a bit to adjust too as did the new combat system. Which now getting more into it I will say I do prefer and I love the momentum takedowns. It feels more appropriate than running up to a guy and jump kicking him, taking his gun then proceeding to shoot his buddies. Here it feels like that duel with Celeste from the first game where the moves seem to shine. It's not perfect but I like the round house kick.

Traversal feels great at 60 fps, but runners vision is wonky, I set it to classic and at times it would not highlight the route which is a bit confusing, get this a beta. Controls feel intuitive and highly responsive, which the first game had as well so it's nice to see that carry over. Now the skill trees do seem pretty arbitrary, they are basically like far cry style so you will be able to get them all, and it's moronic that the gear is locked behind missions, but I have to see how it turns out in the full game.

There were some popin issues that were a little bothersome and some characters are darker than dark. It's hard to see them like Birdman, he needs to illuminate more. The story seems more substantial than that basic "plot" we had in the first game, and I do miss the stylized cutscene. They had this energy to them. Some characters seem alright Icarus is annoying and with his name taken from the first games runner program and the classic Greek tale just reaks of foreshadowing. I am intrigued what the tatoo means in this one, and if Faith and her sister and have genetic alteration of some sort. The story may fall flat like many of DICEs games so I will have to wait and see.

Overall I like the game and I am really interested in seeing where they are going to take this one.

Feep

Banned
So from a speedrunning perspective, what's the best way to use Shift? Sidestepping (since it doesn't turn you) doesn't seem to do much. It *does* seem to ramp you up to max speed either quicker or even instantaneously, so is it best to use it after *any* move that brings you below max? Climbing walls, out of a roll, etc.?

robotrock

Banned
Is the running speed a bit slower than the last one? Kinda feels that way but it's been a bit since I've played the first Mirror's Edge.

I'm wondering if that's due to holding down ctrl to softland. Would just pressing ctrl right before landing keep your momentum up?

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
I already pre-ordered the game but was pleasantly surprised that I got a beta invite. Performance is definitely really rough and the changes to the mechanics/controls threw me off at first, but damn is it fun when you get into finding new routes and shaving down times... I easily foresee myself sinking a lot of time into this game, just like the original. :)

Recorded a few vids of interesting routes I found for some of the Dashes:

High Roller Avenue - 00:40:19
Birdman's Route - 00:32:63
Backstreet Bluff - 00:40:38

If anyone wants to add me on Origin (ExMachina13), would love to race!

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Alright so I know this is a slow moving thread, but I'd really appreciate answers to these questions --

1) Why the fuck am I struggling to complete basic deliveries and time trials? I feel like I know the mechanics well enough (and I played a ton of ME last gen) but there has to be intricacies I'm missing. My biggest issue is usually recovering from long falls. I time a roll, but it kills all my speed. I guess I don't really understand what "shift mechanics" are. I know it makes you immune to bullets and helps you flank enemies, but what else? Any advice on going faster for longer would be appreciated.

2) How much of the game is available here? Seems like waaaayyy more than a usual Beta. I mean, I've already put in a few hours and I still have unexplored content.

3) The introduction was breathtaking and absolutely brilliant. Doesn't anyone else wish the rest of the game was like that? It set the standard for the game very high, and my experience after that didn't live up to it, unfortunately.

Thank you

Skrams

I restarted a dash challenge in some way that caused all sound to cease. I guess I'll need to restart the game or checkpoint to make it come back?

Also wow, Classic Runner Vision is really poor at times. There's certain segments where I'll be running after just hitting a red obstacle and have no idea where to go next. At some segments I turn runner vision full on and see that I needed to cross a bridge to another red object many seconds away. In a game going this fast I feel like you need that shit speckled constantly if you expect to me to travel at full speed and know where to turn without looking at my map.

And man, the framerate just fucking dies right outside the area right after you're able to turn off fans. Always tanks for me around there.

Also this game is deep.

CgyL7k9WgAAnPnz.jpg

Alright so I know this is a slow moving thread, but I'd really appreciate answers to these questions --

1) Why the fuck am I struggling to complete basic deliveries and time trials? I feel like I know the mechanics well enough (and I played a ton of ME last gen) but there has to be intricacies I'm missing. My biggest issue is usually recovering from long falls. I time a roll, but it kills all my speed. I guess I don't really understand what "shift mechanics" are. I know it makes you immune to bullets and helps you flank enemies, but what else? Any advice on going faster for longer would be appreciated.

2) How much of the game is available here? Seems like waaaayyy more than a usual Beta. I mean, I've already put in a few hours and I still have unexplored content.

3) The introduction was breathtaking and absolutely brilliant. Doesn't anyone else wish the rest of the game was like that? It set the standard for the game very high, and my experience after that didn't live up to it, unfortunately.

Thank you

1- You might want to unlock more of the skill tree? The roll keeps speed up, but I don't always use it since certain heights don't need it. Also tucking seems to improve your speed just enough to count. You shouldn't need it just to complete basic deliveries, but use it if you need to. R2 is to shift and it's your dodge kind of move. From what I gather you can use it after a small hiccup to speed up to nearish top speed again. At least that's what it feels like since I tap it a lot.

2- The meter in game says 28% of the story when you reach the final thing. It's way more than the usual beta, but I felt like once I got rolling it stopped.

3- Not sure which part you mean. If you just mean the cutscene then it didn't do much for me.

Wow, how close is this to release again? The bugs are mental. Got thrown down by a man who was half inside a wall. Some people were combat training in mid-air. This guy was taking a shit?

CgyqMyuW4AAp0HL.jpg

Sharing a screenshot caused both the right stick and the sound to stop working. Load times after death are wooooooow. It's legit mad how poor a state this game is in. I only played for like 15 minutes.

Top Bottom